I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lower urinary tract scan

User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 19:30
Went for a scan of my kidneys, bladder etc today. This was following advice of a consultant in a Q&A session as apparently the bladder neck stenosis can cause damage to the kidneys. They scanned me with a full bladder after drinking 1.5 pints of water an hour previous. They than scanned after emptying my bladder.

The good news was the kidneys looked fine and there was no back up of urine. She did point out that I had retained 150 ml of urine that would need addressing as it may cause UTI's. She did say it may have been due to drinking 1.5 pints of water, as it happened I needed to go to the toilet 20 mins later to pee. This is unusual for me so perhaps it was just the volume of water I had drank.

So hopefully as I have never had a urine infection (I'm presuming I would know?) things will just stay as they are

Oh does anyone know what amount of urine should stay in the bladder after emptying

Cheers

Bri

User
Posted 15 Oct 2014 at 22:53

Hi Bri

I had that scan and came in at circa 80ml. in my case they said 100ml was at the watch you more closely stage. Later on during normal flow tests they said150ml was the action level. But I stress that was after RT and me still having a prostate.

Ray

User
Posted 16 Oct 2014 at 21:13

Thanks Ray....will speak to them about this.

Bri

User
Posted 17 Oct 2014 at 13:43

You would know if you had a urinary tract infection believe me! Looking at bladder retention I retain between 250-400 hence I have to self catherise. It feels that though 150 is high it may be a product of the test. Perhaps repeating the test will give you piece of mind to show that normal retention is well below 100!

User
Posted 19 Oct 2014 at 18:57

Bri

When my flow rate was 5ml/sec I was leavening 30ml in the bladder. flow rate is now down to 2ml/ sec sometimes less and leaving 80ml in the bladder the amount being left was considered acceptable. Having next bladder stretch in 14 days time hope this one will do the trick but I was warned it could take two or three attempts.

Thanks Chris