I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Side effects of radiotherapy

User
Posted 23 Oct 2014 at 12:45
Interested to hear from any of you that have had radiotherapy to treat T1 PC.

Interested specifically in whethér and what side effects you've suffered, both short and long term if applicable please?

User
Posted 25 Oct 2014 at 03:11

A year or so after RT, I developed benign rumors in my bladder. Surgically removed. No problems since. Hope you fare better.
Best,
lawrence

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Oscar Wilde

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 19:41

I have had 15 treatments out of 37
but had to stop last week as it was making my fibromyalgia pain unbearable

was getting hard to urinate burning sensation and getting up 12 times a night
they gave tablet for irritated bladder from the radiation which then changed to about 4-5 times
also bowel problems and lot of wind

bob

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 20:52

I had adjuvant RT and fortunately had very little in terms of side effects.

You may get through unscathed or with some side effects. Your medical team will monitor you closely .

I think men who have to stop treatment as with the unfortunate situation with Bob are in the minority

Good luck

Bri

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 09:18
Thanks Bri.

Could you clarify please what adjuvant RT is please?

Dave

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 16:21

Adjuvant here means subsequent to the primary treatment which in Brian's case was RT after surgery but it could also have been Hormone Therapy, Chemo or other treatments for other patients

Barry
User
Posted 01 Nov 2014 at 14:11

Barry is right. But to be specific with RT you may have it as a primary treatment or as a follow up treatment as I did after I had a radical prostectomy .

In this case it may be given before any recurrance of PCa. This is known as adjuvant RT. When the RT is given after a recurrence of PCA it is called salvage RT.

It is not a standard treatment path in this country. There is a trial taking place to determine if RP should be followed by other treatments ie RT and/or HT in high risk cases

Bri