Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostatitis symptons

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 09:44

Hi all.

At 54 I was diagnosed with low grade PC ( 3+3 Gleason PSA average 3.2 ) in 2010 and I am on AS.

When I had the saturation biopsy in 2010 I unfortunately ended up with an infection in the prostate for which I was on Cipro and other antibiotics for nearly 12 months but without success. I can live with the PC on AS with 6 monthly PSA checks but the Prostatitis is a different story, I have a lot of pain/discomfort, urinary issues, and extremely painful ejaculation which can feel ill for hours after. My urologist has tried different things but has basically said there is nothing more he can offer other than to try and keep the prostate "healthy" with regular ejaculation as this squeezes the prostate and promotes fresh new blood into the prostate, when I said "how often" his answer was " as often as you can ". Has anyone else been given this sort of advice and if so I would really like to understand how many times a week one should try to ejaculate.

Thanks.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 21:10

Reg, how do you know that these symptoms are down to prostatitis rather than progression of the prostate cancer? Have you had further biopsies since 2010 or regular scans to monitor what's happening? Active Surveillance should involve more than just a PSA test every so often. I think if you were my husband or brother I would be pushing you back to the urologist for a scan & new biopsy I am afraid.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Oct 2014 at 09:08

Hi, Yes since the diagnosis I have had 2 more sets of biopsies ( 2011 and 2012 ) a number of DREs and also a rectal CT scan earlier this year and nothing new has shown up and my PSA has remained in and around 3.2, hence why the urologist feels it is down to the Prostatitis not the cancer. The only thing that should up on the scan was a lot of calcium deposits in the prostate which he put down to the infection.