I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radical Radiotherapy, my journey continues.

User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 02:11

Continued from "My Radical Radiotherapy starts today!"
Day Ten (Monday):
Had a 1.15pm appointment today, the waiting room was rather sombre, quite crowded but no one was really talking. In general, it has been better at appointments at earlier, quieter times of the day, I think people are reluctant to discuss their details when there's more people around. The earlier times also tends to be favoured by men too which also means is easier to talk.
I'm afraid I was ideally suited to the atmosphere in the waiting room today, I've been in a pretty low mood this weekend and was happy not to have to talk.
My session seemed to go smoothly, this time on a different machine, LA5. Apart from one occasion, up until now, all my treatments have been on LA4 so it's a little different, dealing with a different team.
My restricted pee flow has improved since I was given Tamsulosin tablets last Wednesday but not quite as much I'd hoped it would and it does seem to be getting worst again. Have to mention that at my review session tomorrow (Tuesday). My bowels, which started to loosen up a bit last Thursday (went six times during the course of the day) changed again as soon as I went on a low fibre diet. It fact over the weekend it went slightly the other way and I was finding it difficult to go so I'm trying to have a mixture of low fibre/high fibre to find the right balance.
Oh well, onward to Day Eleven tomorrow, only nine sessions to go. Hope my low mood improves otherwise I'll have to take the "happy pills" my GP prescribed just before the RT started. I've been reluctant to start those unless I really have to, especially with my GP saying I could feel sick during the first week of taking them, have had enough problems trying to sort out my bladder and bowel problems.
Steve

Edited by member 09 Nov 2014 at 00:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 20:29

Onwards and upwards Steve.
Good to hear the resolve in your post, gird your loins and have at 'em.

All the best

Kevin

User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 22:34

Well it looks like your a member of the RT club now Steve http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Are you having RT right across the pelvic region ??? if so ... you might want to read my

Bio ... just click on my name and read away ... i had 32 sessions http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Hope things get better for you matey .

Take care Dave .

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 21:06

Bloody hell Steve, I have just been reading through your RT journey, you have had a bit of a bumpy ride mate. However it won't be long now until it's all over hang in there. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

When that baby arrives you will feel as high as a kite Steve, just the tonic you need it will cheer you up no end.

Looking forward to hearing about the new arrival, this is life at it's best Steve a new addition to your family.

Best wishes,

Gerry.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 21:07

Oh Steve, your posts do make me smile - although I am not sure if they are meant to!

You are flying through the treatment and zapping those cells!

Hope all is well with your daughter. I was induced too but not much happened so I had a c section. Don't worry nothing to it!! :-) Ive had 2 now!!

Such happy times like the birth of a baby do bring a sadness aswell, that we would enjoy these times even more if it weren't for this damn disease. Try not to let it put a dampner on the joy. There was a big cloud over the birth of my 2nd baby (due to OH's dx) and I really regret it now, but much easier said than done.

Take care.

Have a good weekend.

Alison

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 22:36

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to say that I have been reading your posts but I have been so hectic and haven't had a lot of time to reply. It has been a bit of a bumpy ride for you but you are nearly at the end of the RT and just at the beginning of Grandparent territory. Hang on to your hat and your wallet.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

This new baby will lift your spirits , sometimes they take a while to get here but the old saying the best things are worth waiting for is certainly true when it comes to babies.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 15:45

Hi Steve hope your mood improves, went for a lymph mode biopsy today in room with 5 others not all prostrate got them talking. Which made the atmosphere better, I was open about my pc worries ect and then they all discussed there problems think we all felt better after this , tormented them as I was first down and had tea and biscuits while they couldn't ,but made me realise there are some people worse off than me

User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 20:24

Day Eleven (Tuesday):

8.15am appointment, bit of a rush to get ready after a very poor night's sleep. I made sure I drank some water at home so I wasn't dehydrated before I got to the hospital (found out that if I didn't drink enough when I got up,the 500ml of water you drink before your RT session doesn't go to the bladder, it rehydrates the body instead. The result is you don't fill your bladder and they not be able to do your RT until you drink more water, so be warned if you are about to start RT in the future).

Still feeling a bit low but following my session and a mad dash to the loo (I was really bursting today) I had my weekly review where I had a chance to air what I was feeling. I mentioned that my urine flow seems to be slowing down again (probably why I was so desperate to go for a pee because I had problems emptying my bladder on arrival at the hospital) and it was suggested that might be because I was very stressed, and that might be causing a more restricted flow. I said how unhappy I was about the appointment situation (mentioned in posts in my previous "RT Starts Today" thread). She said in reply that it wouldn't be a problem again and they would try andarrange my appointments to avoid my work commitments.The problem occurred because she was off on Friday.Only another week to go after this one anyway so it probably won't occur again. A few other things were mentioned about why I was feeling so low and I realised that very minor things can triggerthese moods. I felt much better after the review and felt the RT team were on my side again. It helps to talk and get things off your chest.

On the way home, I decided that I would give the Sertraline my GP gave me a go, to see if they would help my moods. I have to say I have felt better since I took a tablet. I'll see how it goes anyway.

Onward to Day Twelve.

Steve

Edited by member 31 Oct 2014 at 19:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 20:29

Onwards and upwards Steve.
Good to hear the resolve in your post, gird your loins and have at 'em.

All the best

Kevin

User
Posted 28 Oct 2014 at 22:34

Well it looks like your a member of the RT club now Steve http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Are you having RT right across the pelvic region ??? if so ... you might want to read my

Bio ... just click on my name and read away ... i had 32 sessions http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Hope things get better for you matey .

Take care Dave .

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 19:32

Day Twelve (Wednesday):

It had to happen!

8.35am appointment, arrived just before 7.50am to find two of the three LINAC machines (LA3 & LA4) had broken down. Only LA5 working. I thought I'd end up having to miss my treatment because I'm normally on LA4. I was told not to drink my water yet while they worked out what they were going to do. There was already five people in the waiting room so I thought my chances of a session today seemed fairly unlikely but then a nurse came in and told me to drink my water, I was going on LA5 in 30 minutes.

After 20 minutes I was asked to get changed ready for treatment, and transferred to LA5. They asked me if I thought my bladder was full enough and I thought it was because I was already feeling fairly desperate for a pee. Fortunately, because I've been finding my flow is beginning to slow down again, I don't think I'd properly emptied my bladder on arrival. Worked to my advantage today.

Session went ok and I passed the good news to the other guys waiting.

Something which I don't think I've mentioned on any of my posts on this forum is that, for months, I've been having an ache in my right hip, not all the time and I'd describe the pain as being "mild". Occasionally, I do get a sharp stabbing pain in what appears to be the joint area, but not too often, fortunately. I mentioned this in my review session yesterday so I think my consultant wants to see me to discuss this. I'm sure this is probably just a side effect of the Zoladex. Let's hope so.

Onward to Day Thirteen

Steve

Edited by member 31 Oct 2014 at 22:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 19:57

Glad you got your 12th session out of the way.
The pain in your hip....well I will say what people keep telling me....you are getting older mate and the aches and twinges are part of the deal.

Problem is we notice these things more and they are magnified. We forget we can suffer from other ailments apart from PCA.

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 20:14
Hi Bri,

I agree, probably just old age creeping up on me but my wife has been telling me for months that I should mention it when I see the oncologist. I'm sure it has nothing to do with PCa but to make sure, I'm checking.

Steve

Edited by member 31 Oct 2014 at 21:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Oct 2014 at 20:22

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling a bit 'down' for a while. I have not responded as we have been away for half term (hubbies 90 year old father in hospital after falling ill when holidaying with us last month- but that is another stressful story!). We really do understand how you feel and regrettably I think that it is normal to have some 'bad' days when you are struck by this disease.

I did notice some good information today on the news that there have been some great advances in PCa treatment (more than any other Ca)and that anyone diagnosed in 2013 has a 88 percent chance of going on for at least 5 years. I wish that I could post the article on line but I am not that good on the site! Maybe someone else will pick it up I saw it on the BBC news app health section.

We tend to keep all articles for future reference on the disease and snippets of positive news like this do keep us going and give us a slight lift on the bad days.

I hope that your happy pills kick in a bit (please can I have some!!) ha!

Look after yourself and good luck with the next week of treatments.

Oh yes - and reference the hip aches and pains, I must admit that we tend to worry about all niggling pains too. My OH has had a lot of shoulder pain in the last 6 months that turned out to be arthritis after a few weeks of worrying tests. Hope this works out to be similar for yourself and put your wifes (and your) minds at rest.

Alison

Edited by member 30 Oct 2014 at 20:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 06:27

Hi Alison,

Thanks for your message.

Sorry to hear your father-in-law is not well, hope he's feeling better soon.

I had a fairly rough weekend and start to the week, feeling really low.  Ok, I was bothered by certain problems but really, I shouldn't have sunk that low just because of that.  Fortunately, taking the Sertraline tablets (my happy pills) has helped.  I feel far happier and positive about things now.

Good news about the improved survival rates you mentioned, let's hope they get better still, I'm sure they will.

Still no further with the hip situation but I'm sure it's OK.

Just had a sleepless night, concerned because our eldest daughter is going into hospital this morning to be induced as she is nearly a week overdue giving birth to our first grandchild.  I just prey everything goes well for her and she has a fairly easy time.  I'm looking forward to something nice happening, for a change, after the year we've had.

Well, have to start getting ready for my early RT appointment.

I'll post any news as soon as I have it.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 06:45

Day Thirteen (Thursday):

11.20am appointment. Dashed from an early morning job to arrive just in time to empty my bladder and drink my water.  As soon as I'd finished it, a notice was put out up to say there was a 30 minute delay on LA4 (my machine).  Hoped my bladder would hold out.  Then ten minutes before I would have been due to have my treatment, someone came out to ask if I was ok to go ahead at the original time. Five minutes later they came to see me again to ask if I was ok to wait another 45 minutes.  I said I thought I could make it (fingers crossed, and legs!) and so at midday I had my treatment on LA5, the different machine I'd been transferred to yesterday.  Went well.

I've come to the conclusion, having this treatment is not quite as straight forward as it states in the info they give you.  It's a real balancing act getting your bladder right.

Anyway, found out that the consultant oncologist is on holiday this week so it looks like it will be next week before I know anymore about my hip.

Onward to Day Fourteen.

Steve 

Edited by member 31 Oct 2014 at 06:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 10:47

I have osteoarthritis in both hips. The right is much worse than the left. My consultant always forgets and has babies when I limp into his office. If it hadn't been for the prostatectomy earlier this year I'd have been going for a new hip instead. Next year maybe.

Keep it up Steve...not many more sessions to go.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2014 at 10:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 19:50

Day Fourteen (Friday)

8.40am appointment.  An interesting day. 

Arrived early at 7.35am, partly because I woke up at 4am (usual reason, to have a pee) and couldn't get to sleep again.  I kept thinking about my daughter who was due at the hospital at 7.30am to be induced to give birth to our first grandchild.  I just hope everything goes well for her. 

I drank my water at 8am and was called through to get changed, at 8.40am, pretty much on time.  I lay on the bed, exposing my tattoos so they could position me correctly (which they do by grabbing your naked hips and moving you from side to side until you're just in the right position).  I don't mind the female radiographers doing this but it still feels slightly uncomfortable when the male radiographers hold you by the naked hips!  Today it was a guy on one side and a very attractive girl on the other side.  All set up, they left the room saying that today would be a quick session, little did they know how quick.  The machine moved around me, delivering the blasts of radiation from the first two positions, started to move to the third position when suddenly the head shuddered to a stop.  I BROKE THE MACHINE ! After a couple of minutes, the staff came in and tried everything to try and get the machine working again, but finally said they'd have to call the engineer.  They covered me over with the gown and a few minutes later the engineer arrived and started pulling panels off to see what had gone wrong.  All the time this was happening I was just laying there becoming increasingly desperate to go to the loo.  The engineer decided it would take a while to fix so the bed was lowered and I returned to the waiting room, via the loo, no jeans, still with my gown around me and feeling rather out of place as everyone else was dressed in their everyday clothes.  As soon as I walked in, they all looked at me and asked me if it was me who'd broken the machine.  I said it was a battle between me and the machine and I'd won!

The positive thing was that it caused a few laughs in the waiting room and everyone started talking more. I've made a few friends during my time there but sometimes you don't see them because of different appointment times.  It has been more chatty than my first few visits.

Anyway, as I'd emptied my bladder, I had to drink 500ml of water to start the process again.  45 minutes later, I was called through to the LA4 machine again, the engineer had managed to fix it and I was going to be the one to test it.  I promised the people in the waiting room that I wouldn't bust it this time and completed my treatment. Well, left the hospital after over two and a half hours there, good job I didn't have anything urgent to go to.

Onward to my final week.  Will be sad when the experience is over.

Steve

PS: No news of the baby yet.  Will post as soon as there's any news.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2014 at 21:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 21:06

Bloody hell Steve, I have just been reading through your RT journey, you have had a bit of a bumpy ride mate. However it won't be long now until it's all over hang in there. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

When that baby arrives you will feel as high as a kite Steve, just the tonic you need it will cheer you up no end.

Looking forward to hearing about the new arrival, this is life at it's best Steve a new addition to your family.

Best wishes,

Gerry.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 21:07

Oh Steve, your posts do make me smile - although I am not sure if they are meant to!

You are flying through the treatment and zapping those cells!

Hope all is well with your daughter. I was induced too but not much happened so I had a c section. Don't worry nothing to it!! :-) Ive had 2 now!!

Such happy times like the birth of a baby do bring a sadness aswell, that we would enjoy these times even more if it weren't for this damn disease. Try not to let it put a dampner on the joy. There was a big cloud over the birth of my 2nd baby (due to OH's dx) and I really regret it now, but much easier said than done.

Take care.

Have a good weekend.

Alison

User
Posted 31 Oct 2014 at 22:36

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to say that I have been reading your posts but I have been so hectic and haven't had a lot of time to reply. It has been a bit of a bumpy ride for you but you are nearly at the end of the RT and just at the beginning of Grandparent territory. Hang on to your hat and your wallet.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

This new baby will lift your spirits , sometimes they take a while to get here but the old saying the best things are worth waiting for is certainly true when it comes to babies.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 01 Nov 2014 at 13:54

Hi Steve - Nearly there keep going!  When I had my treatment at North Middx Hospital the machines broke down from time to time so it isn't unusual, I guess they're in action so often with one person after another having treatment it doesn't help.  During my last week of treatment they did all they could to complete it without breaks so I hope they do the same for you.  Like you I felt sad when it was over - I missed the people I met everyday and there was the emotional aspect with the relief on completing 37 sessions.

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 01 Nov 2014 at 18:03

Steve, I had a course of 37 fractions earlier this year. The machine jammed 3 times - overheating apparently. Quite disconcerting the first time it happens. On one occasion I was moved from one machine to another the second machine started exactly where the first left off - most reassuring. I did the same as you: make a joke of it with the waiting patients who are usually keen for a bit of banter if only to take their minds off their PCa for a moment.

The last 5 fractions will go very quickly - bit like the last week of a holiday - and and any gap in your life will soon fill, particularly with a new grandchild.

Viv

User
Posted 04 Nov 2014 at 20:55

Day Fifteen (Monday):

8.55am appointment:  A very special day!

Had a sleepless night worrying about my eldest daughter, who had been in labour since 3.30pm on Sunday.  Finally got to sleep and woken by a phone call at 6.30am with the news that I was a grandfather for the first time (see my other post "Happy Event, A New Arrival").  Excited, I headed for the hospital to be greeted by the early morning regulars asking if it had arrived yet.  I passed on the good news and by the time I had my treatment (on time) the radiographers were congratulating me having already heard the news from member of staff I'd meet on the way in.  I think I was on such a high that I hardly noticed I was having the treatment. 

The session passed uneventfully and I was on the way home in less than an hour.  I was rather frustrated that I couldn't visit my daughter and grandson in the maternity unit while I was there, I had to wait until 3 in the afternoon before I took my wife and youngest daughter to see them both.  He was worth waiting for and it was a pleasure to spend a couple of hours with him. 

Definately a wonderful moment after all the awful things that have happened recently.

Onward to Day Sixteen.

Steve

Edited by member 06 Nov 2014 at 09:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Nov 2014 at 22:13

Day Sixteen (Tuesday):

11.35am appointment:  I went missing!

Arrived at the Cancer Centre to be greeted by a notice to say there was a thirty minute delay on the machine I was on today, LA5.  My regular machine, LA4, was undergoing a planned two day service.  I say "planned" just so it's clear that it wasn't my doing, after the incident on Friday!

I thought it would be a good chance to pop outside and make a couple of phone calls.  On the way back, I had a quick chat with a Macmillan volunteer who was restocking the info stand.  I walked back into the waiting room, after a visit to the loo, and had just taken one mouthful of water when the door opened and I was being called through to get changed for my treatment.  Apparently, they had been looking everywhere for me to tell me I was going to have my session on time.  Anyway, I had to let two people go ahead of me while my 500ml of water reached it's intended destination.  In fact, it reached there a bit quicker than I would have hoped for as I was tempted to ask if I could be the first person to have prostate radiotherapy with my legs crossed!

My heart sank when they said they were going to scan me today, that would extend the session.  I didn't comment and said a little prayer that my bladder would last out the session.  When they started, my prayers were answered when, even though the scanner was deployed, they didn't use it.  When they came back in I asked about the scan and they just said "Oh, we've decided to do it tomorrow".  Personally, I think they forgot.

Anyway, before I'd gone in for treatment there had been time for me to have my weekly review.  I mentioned my "flow" was still greatly reduced inspite of a daily "tamsulosin" tablet and that in the last few days I'd been passing quite a lot of blood and mucus from a region that I'm too polite to mention by name.  She said it was not unusual and quite often happens towards the end of radiotherapy. The review ended with her promising to sort out some treatment for this problem.  I hope so.

Onward to Day Seventeen.

Steve

Edited by member 05 Nov 2014 at 09:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 22:27

Your ordeal with a full bladder did make me smile Steve, why oh why do so many hospital procedures require us to have a full bladder. When I was 38 weeks pregnant with my youngest son (now 10) I had to have a scan. This also requires a full bladder and being clever I thought I would drink the water before leaving home. I had calculated the 6 min walk to the hospital and then the 3 min's to the dept. What I hadn't calculated was A) it was a very cold day and B) said dept had been relocated to a porter cabin at the other side of the Hospital only accessible through the car park.

Thankfully I was wearing a long Maxi coat but I bear the humiliating scar to this day of being heavily pregnant and clutching the hand of my 5 year old son as this very large puddle got bigger and bigger in the middle of Southend Hospital car park. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

Hope day 17 goes smoothly

BFN

Julie

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 10:26

Day Seventeen (Wednesday):

5.30pm appointment.

Seemed to spend most of the day not doing much, waiting for the appointment, prefer earlier ones.  Wasn't sure about rush hour traffic so I set out quite early.  In the end, I arrived an hour early, plenty of space in the car park (unusually) and entered Radiotherapy to find there was a half hour delay.  I shouldn't have been surprised, LA4 was still being serviced and many patients had been booked for LA5 causing a greater workload.  Still had a interesting chat with others waiting.

In the end the treatment happened just before 6pm, pity I'd drunk my water at 4.45pm, having been told they might not be delayed as long as they said.  So a similar situation to yesterday, "mind over matter" saved the day.  Before the zapping, I had the scan I was going to have yesterday so that didn't make it any easier.  I was the last treatment of the day and when they left to room to start the session, they said they would be back soon.  I said I would be prefer that to them sneaking off, leaving me there all night.

So on to Day Seventeen.  Two days to go. 

Edited by member 08 Nov 2014 at 10:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 10:56

Day Eighteen (Thursday):

2.30pm appointment.

Arrived about 1.30pm, wanted to see if I could have a quick meeting with the senior radiographer about my side effects.  I had my treatment a little late, there was a twenty minute delay when I arrived. It went ok but again I was a bit desperate to empty my bladder again.  I think that's probably because I'm not emptying my bladder fully when I arrive because my flow is becoming very restricted again.

I had to wait a while to see the person I wanted to see but it was probably my last chance to do this. 

I mentioned about my restricted pee flow but was told that this would improve over the next few weeks.  I also mentioned the fact that when I'm straining to have a pee I have an overwelming urge to have a bowel motion too.  Also, I'm having a problem of a discharge of mucus and blood from my rear end too which I can't seem to control, mainly when passing wind which has increased in the last week or so.  All that was really said was that these are fairly common side effects and they would get better in the weeks following RT.  I think I will have to live with the problems for a while, it will be all worth while if it results in a cure.

Onward to Day Nineteen, my final day.

Steve

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 11:45

Nearly there now Steve....I was told that the side effects peak a few weeks after RT and then start to calm down

Bri

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 11:52

Day Nineteen (Friday):

9.25am appointment. My final Day.

Arrived about 8.15am, partly to make sure I got a space in the car park and also to have a few moments to fill in some survey forms I'd been given about updated patient info leaflets they intend releasing soon.

It's strange but I felt quite sad that this was my last session.  Even though it has only been four weeks, it has become a routine part of my day.  At the same time, it was nice to think that it would no longer matter how much I drunk and I could go for a pee when I wanted.  Having an empty bowel has been a constant challenge too, especially with appointments at different times of the day.

Last night before going to sleep, I suddenly thought that, at this late stage of the treatment, I could be cancer free.  This thought was soon followed by a feeling that this last treatment today was possibly be my last chance of a cure.  Made me quite nervous about this final day.

I drank my water, for the last time from the Coke bottle I've used throughout my RT, given to me by wife.  I'd asked her to get a Coke bottle with my name on it.  She came home with a bottle with "Stephanie" on it!  She thought this was a laugh because when I first went on hormone treatment my wife had nicknamed me "Stephanie" because of the effects of the HT.  She did claim she couldn't find a "Steve" one.  I decided to use it anyway because I thought it was funny too.

I was called in for my treatment, everyone commented on it being my last day, and went through the usual routine.  When the machine delivered it's last burst of radiation, my feelings were "Well that's it, I hope it's done it's job".  It's a similar feeling to the one you got when you finished an exam paper and just hoped that you'd answered everything correctly only this time it seemed more important because it was my life at stake.

Everyone wished me luck for the future and I handed them a thank you card and a tin of "Heroes".  I thought, at the moment they are my heroes.  I said my thanks and made my dash for the loo.

I left the hospital, thankful for being fortunate enought to have the chance of a cure.  Just hope it works.

Steve

Edited by member 08 Nov 2014 at 12:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 18:31
Steve

I have enjoyed your posts since the very beginning, so I am going to miss your frequrnt flyer status!

I laughed out loud when I read about your Stephanie coke bottle, having a sense of humour helps so much believe me.

I and everyone else on here obviously want you to be cured,but also want you to keep popping in with news and stuff, tales of the fun you are having with Alexander etc.

XX

Mo

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 18:43

Well done Steve, another milestone passed.
I know how you felt, I too felt I was leaving the party early on my last day of RT. It's a bit weird.
I also did the self realisation that you had just completed the only chance of a cure.
That fact did lay a bit heavy for a while, but you do get to give that virtual shrug and get on with living.

I'll buy you a pint at the flyer so we can commiserate with each other.

All the best

Kevin

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 23:53

Steve ,  great that you made it to the end of your RT ... just try to stay relaxed before you get your first  post PSA - RT results http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 09 Nov 2014 at 00:26

Hi Mo, Kevin & Dave,

Thanks for your messages.

Mo, I will not know if my RT has worked for at least two years as I will be having Zoladex injections until then.  Waiting nine or ten days for scan results was bad enough so how I cope waiting for two years will be interesting.  I will be posting on this site for a long time to come, hopefully, helping others who have recently been diagnosed. 

I'm pleased you were interested in my posts.  My daily messages were really to try give an idea of how it went for me, others will have different journeys, but I hope it was of interest to some who are facing the same treatment as me.  I hope it wasn't too boring in parts but there again, no one was forced to read them.  For me, it was a record of possibly the most important four weeks of my life, scary, but my future was being decided by what happened in those weeks. 

Kevin, you understand exactly how I feel now, pleased to have completed RT but sorry in some ways that it's over.  While I was having RT I felt as if something was being done, now I feel uncertain and feeling "what if it hasn't worked".  I've just got to convince myself into believing it has worked.  I think my first PSA test, just before my post RT review, will help.  

I look forward to that pint and having a chat.

Dave, thanks, I will have to try and relax, becoming a grandad for the first time earlier this week will help and reminds me I want to beat PCa to be around to see him grow up.

Steve