Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Absent Friends 4

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 23:54
I can only speak for me (although I may be speaking for others) however I am pleased that the "fallen" are mentioned here as I am in the incurable camp and know that barring car crash etc before I will be one of those one day and would like to be remembered even if only for 6 hours on an Internet chat page.

Yes there are times when I have read a name that I dint know however always have a thought for them and reminds me how lucky I am that I am here today in whatever condition so I for one hope you keep on posting as sadly this is a reality of many of our situations one day and to read about a fellow sufferers demise both makes me sad but gives me energy to keep my name off the list as long as I can.

PC is a bugger but as someone who has it I want and need to know both ends of the spectrum, I hope others see my point and you are able to continue posting

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 00:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Off to Rob's funeral tomorrow, meeting George at Oxford Station, then driving down to the funeral.

RIP Rob.

It will soon be time to close this list ready for me to print out ready for our service of Remembrance on November 1st, it is with regret that I do not intend to start an Absent Friends 5 for 2015/6 because this site seems not to want me posting, but I will continue to monitor and list every man who dies of PCa that I am notified of or see listed on here so NO ONE will be forgotten.
(it is also because there is now the Facebook pages as competition)

So, just because I'm not posting so often I still look regularly!

Chris.

What? I don't understand - and probably better not to know - the references to you not being wanted but how can we possibly NOT have a continuation of the Absent Friends thread????  The only time that would be accepatable is the day they find a cure and our men stop dying :-( 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 01:35

Hi,

I will be at Rob's funeral later today.  I think it's really important that I'm there to honour a man who helped, not only me, but many others on this site.  I regret never being able to meet him to say thank you.  This will be my way of saying it now.

Chris, what you do is so important.  Please continue to post this thread, it's right that you should do this.  If anyone is not happy about it they don't have to read it.

Steve

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 07:14
How lovely of you to attend Steve.

stay strong. thinking of you all today.

Alison

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 08:11
Chris

I totally agree with the others who have already posted. Please keep your posts on absent friends going.

When Mick Died it meant so much to me that you posted in his honour and memory. It is not always possible or appropriate for us all to attend the funerals of these Men but it is really important to me and others that we do not just let it pass by.

I hope all goes well today at Rob's service.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 08:24

count me in on keeping this thread alive

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 08:38

Thanks for the kind thoughts, it is this site that is the problem, like it took me four tries to post about Rob! (and this wasn't an isolated case). That is why I was going to stop, but you have convinced me to struggle on!!!!!!

So Absent Friends 5 will be starting soon.

See you later Steve, so, so far it will be Steve, Shirley, George and I seeing him off.

RIP Rob.

Edited by member 24 Sep 2015 at 08:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 09:42

Good to hear you will keep it going Chris. Have you raised the issue with Sadie

Bri

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 22:50

I am closing this thread because I need to get the list of names typed out ready for our annual All Souls Service on Sunday 1st November, alright I know that it is All Saints Day, but the service is on the nearest Sunday.

All the Absent Friends will have a candle lit and their name read out, if any Widows would like to attend then it is at 16.00 at Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire, Parish Church, (not far from Junction 13 of M1)

Therefore Absent Friends 5 will start next, 2015 / 2016.

RIP all of them, and those from previous years too.

Chris.

PS. It is the List of Names that is closed.

Edited by member 04 Oct 2015 at 23:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 05:44

Just to say thank you Chris for all you do to remind us of those that have passed. It is much appreciated by us all.
Sandra

Edited by member 05 Oct 2015 at 05:44  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 08:08
Thank you, Chris
User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 12:22
sad to hear that another lovely man will be added to your list today.

See thread from Mchjoy.

Xx

Edited by member 05 Oct 2015 at 12:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 17:20

Thank you Allison.

I will be adding Maurice Hanley to the list, as I had only just transferred the names to "word" last night.

RIP Maurice, you will be remembered along with all the others who have died this past year that I know about.

Joy, if you are up to reading this, we send our deep condolences to you. God Bless.

Chris.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 18:06

R.I.P Maurice and best wishes to his family

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Oct 2015 at 23:03

Hi Chris,

I am not sure what or who has said what to be honest it is not really important , what is important is that every man who dies from this disease is remembered and honoured and you do that so admirably so keep  going with your page. Not everybody myself included keep up with the ladies on line or FB and there are men that I would not know have passed without you posting.

I for one thank you and think that you do a admirable job .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 07 Oct 2015 at 05:35

hi chris
you are doing a terrific job like the others I appreciate what you are doing. keep posting as much as you can we all know the site has problems, heres to absent friends
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 07 Oct 2015 at 11:20

Your appreciation for what I do is most humbling, thank you.

And we still remember you all every night in our prayers.

God Bless you all.

Chris.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2015 at 12:05
Hello Chris Shirley

I wouldn't want you to stop posting.

Some people might not understand how the widow and family feal knowing that they are mentioned by people that you might not have never met before and also the hand made gift that was sent to me and Carolann.

So I thank you both for the kindness that you gave us it will never be forgotten

Thank you

Carol

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 22:59

I have just updated my list and closing it for this year.
Mike Newton October 25th 2014
John Sureyya October 2014
Ron Hollywood October 20th 2014
........Murphy October 23rd 2014
Dave Coleman October 29th 2014
David Brown December 8th 2014
Bob Roberts December 12th 2014
Mike Brooks January 14th 2015
Ray Matela January 24th 2015
Clive Saunders February 5th 2015
Ian Naylor February 15th 2015
Alton Duncan February 24th 2015
Ken Edwards April 2015
John Snape April 2015
Bert Klapwijk July 14th 2015

Robert Duff  September 22nd 2015

Maurice Hanley October 5th 2015
Ray Wall October 8th 2015

May they all rest in peace, their names live on, and they will each be remembered at our All Souls Service on November 1st.

I will be starting a new Absent Friends 5 when necessary.

RIP guys, you are no longer in pain, and have gone to join that great party up high, where all our previous heroes have gone.

God Bless.
Chris.

Edited by member 12 Oct 2015 at 13:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Oct 2015 at 13:57

My Shirley pointed out that in my re listing I had omited:
Robert Duff, the latest funeral we went to, so he has been added to the above list and to the list that I emailed to our minister.

God Bless
Chris.