Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Absent Friends 4

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 09:02

No sooner have I finalised another list of our FALLEN that I am notified of another one of our comrades who has been taken far too soon, I am referring to Mike Newton who died last Saturday 25th October, he was only 51.    [isaac960] to those who might remember his posts]

RIP Mike, you WILL not be forgotten

My thanks to Nessy for contacting me.

Edited by member 29 Oct 2014 at 20:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 22:59

I have just updated my list and closing it for this year.
Mike Newton October 25th 2014
John Sureyya October 2014
Ron Hollywood October 20th 2014
........Murphy October 23rd 2014
Dave Coleman October 29th 2014
David Brown December 8th 2014
Bob Roberts December 12th 2014
Mike Brooks January 14th 2015
Ray Matela January 24th 2015
Clive Saunders February 5th 2015
Ian Naylor February 15th 2015
Alton Duncan February 24th 2015
Ken Edwards April 2015
John Snape April 2015
Bert Klapwijk July 14th 2015

Robert Duff  September 22nd 2015

Maurice Hanley October 5th 2015
Ray Wall October 8th 2015

May they all rest in peace, their names live on, and they will each be remembered at our All Souls Service on November 1st.

I will be starting a new Absent Friends 5 when necessary.

RIP guys, you are no longer in pain, and have gone to join that great party up high, where all our previous heroes have gone.

God Bless.
Chris.

Edited by member 12 Oct 2015 at 13:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Oct 2015 at 13:57

My Shirley pointed out that in my re listing I had omited:
Robert Duff, the latest funeral we went to, so he has been added to the above list and to the list that I emailed to our minister.

God Bless
Chris.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 23:29

Julie, Dave, Mandy and Fiona many thanks for your wishes, I didn't know either of these men but their names were passed onto me from the ladies on Facebook and I find that they all, no matter who or where they are, need our thoughts, prayers and condolences to their families, which is why I do it, so thanks for the wishes.(it's not the word I want to use, but can't think of the right word)

Chris.

PS, I've also heard about a young lad who has Burkett's Lymphoma so he is very much on my mind too.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 23:42

Hello Chris,

Carry on posting, I am sure that the benefits outweigh the downsides.

It is just a sad reminder for us all, that is all.

dave

Edited by member 05 Mar 2015 at 01:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 18:41

Thanks for the update, Chris. I send my condolences and thoughts to all the families of these men and my empathy with their grief.

Fiona.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 22:50

I am closing this thread because I need to get the list of names typed out ready for our annual All Souls Service on Sunday 1st November, alright I know that it is All Saints Day, but the service is on the nearest Sunday.

All the Absent Friends will have a candle lit and their name read out, if any Widows would like to attend then it is at 16.00 at Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire, Parish Church, (not far from Junction 13 of M1)

Therefore Absent Friends 5 will start next, 2015 / 2016.

RIP all of them, and those from previous years too.

Chris.

PS. It is the List of Names that is closed.

Edited by member 04 Oct 2015 at 23:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 05:44

Just to say thank you Chris for all you do to remind us of those that have passed. It is much appreciated by us all.
Sandra

Edited by member 05 Oct 2015 at 05:44  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Oct 2015 at 12:05
Hello Chris Shirley

I wouldn't want you to stop posting.

Some people might not understand how the widow and family feal knowing that they are mentioned by people that you might not have never met before and also the hand made gift that was sent to me and Carolann.

So I thank you both for the kindness that you gave us it will never be forgotten

Thank you

Carol

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 13:16

Just 51 ... RIP Mr Newton http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 16:23

So shocked to read this news. Sleep peacefully Mike x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 19:52
So sorry to hear this, thank you Chris for telling us.
User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 20:13

So sorry to hear this. Condolences to Mikes family.

RIP Mike
Bri

User
Posted 29 Oct 2014 at 20:36

Sorry to hear this - I was diagnosed at 51

Rest in Peace Mike

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 30 Oct 2014 at 14:22
Very sad indeed RIP Mike sleep peacefully.

Mo

User
Posted 30 Oct 2014 at 16:07
I couldn't believe it when I saw that Mike had sadly passed away. I know he was deeply loved by his family and wife Sara. Such a huge shock, another young man taken by this dreadful disease. God love him and his family.

RIP Mike.

Nessy x

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 09:21

Since Mike was called home there have been more names to add to the list for 2014/2015.

Mike Newton October 25th
David Brown December 8th

Bob Roberts  December 13th

Mike Brooks  January 14th

Ray Matela January 24th

Clive Saunders February 5th

Ian Naylor      February 15th

Alton Duncan  February 24th

Ken Edwards April 2014

John Snape June 2014

John Sureyya October 2014

Ron Hollywood October 20th

....... Murphy October 23rd

Dave Coleman October 29th

Bert Klapwijk  July 14th 2015

Rob Roff     September 15th

Maurice Hanley October 5th

Ray Wall  October 8th 

They are no longer in pain to this dreadful disease, they have gone to join our other fallen in that great party in the SKY..

May they Rest In Peace, their names will live on, they will not be forgotten.

Chris.

PS. If anyone else has any names they would like added to my list then please email me.

Edited by member 11 Oct 2015 at 22:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 09:27

Sincere condolences to Joyce and her family on the going home of David.

Joyce was a member of LOL, hold her in your thoughts and prayers as she prepares for his funeral.

Chris.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 20:17
Very sad to hear of Mike and David's passing. Two more foot soldiers off the battle line and now strolling the green fields of peace. Rest easy Lads.

Bazza (Barry)

User
Posted 13 Dec 2014 at 23:10

And another good man has passed away, at 16.30 today, with this dreadful disease, R I P Bob,  sincere condolences to his wife Jan and the family.

Advised via Facebook.

Blessings,

Chris.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 17:53

I have just posted news that one of our oldest friends, Mike Brooks, passed away soon after 4pm today.

That post will be with moderators for now.

He was known and loved by so many here.

Lost for words

George

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:04

So sorry to hear this George. Sincere condolences to his family.

Thinking of you also

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:16
Hi,

So sorry to hear of this, unfortunately I never knew Mike but I would have liked have met him. It's evident he was much loved by everyone who knew him , a very sad loss.

Rest in Peace, Mike.

Steve

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:27
So sorry to hear this George, and thank you for letting us know straightaway, thinking of Kath, the family and of course you, it is so hard, love Janet
User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:34
Mike was a good friend.

I am sad beyond belief.

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:43
Dreadful news George. rest in Peace Mike

Sincere condolences to Kath.

With love

Allison and John

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:48

Thanks for letting us know George, although we knew it was coming, it was still heart wrenching, so, so sad to see another of our brave souls go. R I P Mike.

Our very sincere condolences to Kath.

Chris and Shirley.

PS. it is on Facebook.

Edited by member 14 Jan 2015 at 18:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:51

Very sad news, and all the more reason we ALL must keep up the fight, for Prostate Cancer funding and research and ensure it is kept in the news. We must also raise awareness when we can, and hope less men who follow us in the future suffer and die from this disease.

RIP Mike and condolences to ALL family and friends.

Edited by member 14 Jan 2015 at 18:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:51

So very very sad to hear this today.

Mike & Kath - two of our favourite people to meet up with. As no doubt for many others over the last years.

Deepest condolences to Kath & family.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 19:32

RIP Mike, so sorry to hear this sad news.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 19:45

So very sad
Farewell my friend....love and support to Kath
Devastated
Chris

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 19:50

More sad news, I have only just caught up with this thread my thoughts and heart go out to all of those men and there families who we have recently lost to this very cruel disease.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 19:56

So sad to read of Mike's passing. Another Brave Man who fought hard. He and Kath were good friends to myself & Ian. Will never forget the lovely smile he had for us all. Will miss you Mike....Condolences to Kath & Family...R.I.P Mike xxx

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 20:27
So very sad to read of Mike's passing heartfelt condolences to Kath and Mike's family. R.I.P and safe onward journey Mike.

George I know that this news will be extremely hard for you as you have lost so many really good friends to this horrible disease in so short a time. Stay strong my friend.

Xxx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 22:50

Condolences to the family. I am thinking of you,

Fiona.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 23:02

We are both so sorry to hear the very sad news about Mike Brooks. RIP Mike. We only had the privilege of meeting you and Kath last year, but you were so welcoming, kind and friendly and always so very positive too. Heartfelt condolences to Kath and the family xxx Ness and Si x

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 15 Jan 2015 at 06:42

Deeply saddened to read so many names mentioned here.

Since I had talked to Mike on numerous occasions it cuts to the quick.... RIP Mike and condolences to your family and friends

User
Posted 06 Feb 2015 at 09:42

No sooner have we laid Mike to rest and we hear about another of our mates dying of this dreadful disease.

Our sincere condolences thoughts and prayers to Eva and her family (on Ladies site) on the news that her beloved Clive died yesterday.

R I P Clive, you will be remembered.............

Chris.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2015 at 11:12

Sending condolences to the family. I know just what you are going through having lost my partner a few months back. I will hold you in my thoughts, Eva....

Fiona.

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 14:21

Janny jam, thank you for posting.

And yet another young man has died, Ray, jannyjam's husband, so very sad, please take heart that you have all your fond memories of your life together, R I P Ray, you WILL be remembered.

Chris.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 14:05

I have just been told of two more men passing on from this dreadful disease, RIP Ian and Alton.

You will both be remembered, condolences to their families and friends.

Thanks to the Ladies group for letting me know!

Chris.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 22:51

Hi Chris,

No offence but my heart sinks when ever I see that you have posted on this thread because I know it is going to bad news, but thank you for taking the time and effort for doing this. Although I do not know the last two people that you have  mentioned my heart and thoughts go out to there families , any man lost to this terrible disease is one man to many.

BFN

JULIE X

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 06:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Chris,

No offence but my heart sinks when ever I see that you have posted on this thread because I know it is going to bad news, but thank you for taking the time and effort for doing this. Although I do not know the last two people that you have  mentioned my heart and thoughts go out to there families , any man lost to this terrible disease is one man to many.

BFN

JULIE X 

Same thoughts and feelings here.  I also wonder how long each person named lived beyond diagnosis, and what their treatment choice had been?

My condolences to their family and friends. 

dave

Edited by member 04 Mar 2015 at 06:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 08:15
Chris

I share the same feelings as Julie and Dave and probably everyone else on this forum, but I also want to thank you for taking time to let us all know so that we can show our respect to the families concerned.

RIP Ian and Alton and condolences to family and friends

Two more brave men who have lost their lives to this horrid disease.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 09:24

Sending condolences to these families on the loss of their loved ones.

Fiona.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 23:29

Julie, Dave, Mandy and Fiona many thanks for your wishes, I didn't know either of these men but their names were passed onto me from the ladies on Facebook and I find that they all, no matter who or where they are, need our thoughts, prayers and condolences to their families, which is why I do it, so thanks for the wishes.(it's not the word I want to use, but can't think of the right word)

Chris.

PS, I've also heard about a young lad who has Burkett's Lymphoma so he is very much on my mind too.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 23:42

Hello Chris,

Carry on posting, I am sure that the benefits outweigh the downsides.

It is just a sad reminder for us all, that is all.

dave

Edited by member 05 Mar 2015 at 01:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 17:42

Just listed some more men who have passed into the Great Party in the Sky, their names taken from the new postings on Facebook.
May they all rest in peace.
Ken, John,John, Ron, Dave and Patricia's husband.

Chris.

Edited by member 31 May 2015 at 17:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 18:41

Thanks for the update, Chris. I send my condolences and thoughts to all the families of these men and my empathy with their grief.

Fiona.

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 19:14

Very sad that so many men have their lives cut short by this rotten disease. My sincere condolences to their families and friends. Let's hope that a combination of more widespread awareness, earlier diagnosis and better treatment will greatly reduce men passing on in this way and that an absolute cure may be found sometime soon.

Barry
User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 20:35

Hi Chris,

Thank you for keeping us all updated, although many myself included will not recognise these names it is so important to validate and honour every family and every man that is lost to this dreadful disease, lets all hope that one day  in the not to distant future  that with new treatments to combat PC that Chris will one day be starting a new thread for the survivors. 

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 20:46

Thank you Chris,

Sad news.

Is it possible for you to add date of diagnosis for them?

I do not do Facebook, well, rarely, as i had a self obsessed size 26 X who had FAS, lived on there 60/60/24/7/365 or 6, so I loathe it with an irrational passion. Not that I am bitter? PMSL!

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 21:06
Chris

thanks for posting although we may not know these Men or their families we all are mindful that there are many others outside of this forum who lose their lives to this horrid disease.

My condolences to their families and friends.

See you and Shirley in a few weeks time

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 22:54

Dave, i hadn't thought of asking about DX dates, but I think it would be too intrusive at a time when the widows are grieving, my idea for doing the listing was to help the ladies to know that their menfolk weren't forgotten.

Not long to M O S, and comparing notes time, and hoping the Alister is fit enough for his cruise.

Chris.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 22:56

Thanks to the Ladies site, I've been notified of another man taken too soon.

RIP Bert, been suffering for the last 4 years and spent the last 7 weeks in a Hospice at Falkirk.

Our sincere condolences to his widow Irene. xxxx

Bert will be remembered.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 16:10

Also sending condolences to Irene on the loss of her husband,

Fiona. x

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 22:29

I am notifying you all that Rob, a long time member of the Forum and the previous one too died last Tuesday.

Our sincere condolences to Michele.

George, Shirley and I intend to go to his funeral.

RIP Rob.

Chris.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 23:01

Off to Rob's funeral tomorrow, meeting George at Oxford Station, then driving down to the funeral.

RIP Rob.

It will soon be time to close this list ready for me to print out ready for our service of Remembrance on November 1st, it is with regret that I do not intend to start an Absent Friends 5 for 2015/6 because this site seems not to want me posting, but I will continue to monitor and list every man who dies of PCa that I am notified of or see listed on here so NO ONE will be forgotten.
(it is also because there is now the Facebook pages as competition)

So, just because I'm not posting so often I still look regularly!

Chris.