I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

CHAARTED Trial

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 10:36
Has anyone here been given information on a recent US study called CHAARTED?

It entails giving an early course of chemo (docetaxyl) to men recently diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, as well as the standard hormone therapy. Preliminary results show a significant benefit of up to 17 months in overall survival, most noted in men with multiple bone metastases.

My husband is in this position and has been offered this treatment (not as part of a trial). We think he'll take up the offer but it's a difficult decision and we're getting little help in reaching it.

Has anyone else been offered this? Any opinions or experiences very welcome.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 21:48

There are a handful of men on here who have had this approach including SiNess. Early indicators are that for some men it is producing far better results than had been expected and that in the future this might perhaps be standard practice. Good luck

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 10:31

Hi Piglet ( do i really have to call you that http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I was diagnosed on the 23rd December 2012 with extensive mets but a PSA of 4.6, by early January i was on Chemo as first line treatment and had great results. I finished chemo in August and went straight on to Abiraterone and i am still on it now.

If you look at my thread Simon story there are pictures of my scans before and after chemo, i really did have good results.

Now my thoughts in my nutty world is if you have Chemo straight away then all of your cancers are wide awake and bushy tailed and absorb the chemo quicker, but if you use chemo later after HT then there might be just one cancer awake and the rest are still dormant and the chemo is not absorbed as quick by the dormant cells.

So in my nutty world and i am still researching, if i was to go back on chemo i would first stop HT have a shot of testosterone wake them all up then start chemo.

Now i must say my Onco thinks i am nuts as well, but as long as i get bloods tested every week to get the timing right that is my plan.

At this point i would also take the wife away for the weekend, ah the memories http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

So if you get the chance of early chemo i would go for it.

Welcome to the nutty world of Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 11:04

Hi Piglet,

When Neil had a second opinion a few months back, the doctor mentioned this study and said Neil should have been on HT and chemo from the start especially as we knew the cancer was unlikely to respond to HT for very long. Sadly, too late for us, but it makes sense to hit the cancer cells hard from the start. Best of luck with your treatment,

Fiona.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 15:25

Thanks for the encouraging comments so far, guys.
Si, I just had a read through your story and want to thank you and Ness for such frank and inspiring accounts.
Sorry about my silly name, I tried another but kept getting error messages, so I went for the name of a little boat we used to have.
I'll just give a little more background about us. My husband Tony ( real name!), aged 66, was diagnosed early in Sept after having severe back and joint pain - no waterworks problems at all, he still has the bladder capacity of a camel. Blood tests revealed PSA of over 2000 - this is not a typo, it was a 4-digit figure that T says he will now use as a PIN. Urologist, biopsy, bone scan showing multiple mets, Gleason 9. He was treated with hormone tablets and now decapeptyl injections. In a couple of weeks this treatment had stopped all the pain and he seems perfectly well in himself for the moment. A more recent blood test showed a PSA of 73 which is still high, but a huge reduction in 5 weeks.
We're gradually getting over the shock and adapting to the knowledge that this condition will probably bring his life to an end quite a lot sooner than we expected. But we're trying to make the most of the good times we can still have together, which will be easier once the chemo treatment is planned. It's good to know I can look in here for advice and support.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 16:01
Hi Piglet

Sounds as though you have got off to a flying start a reduction in PSA from 2000 to 73 in five weeks is terrific. I am in agreement with Fiona and my lovely friend Si Superman (even if he is completely nuts) If you get the chance for early chemo it is worth considering. Firstly it sounds as though Tony is fit and strong so has a good chance of handling the chemo, secondly the trials in USA and also parts of Europe seem to show that if the cancer is aggressive it needs to be treated aggressively to get better results.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 17:07

We are all different and our oncologists have their own favoured course of treatment.. I, too, came down from a PSA of 569 to one of 0.6 some two and a half years ago. My last reading was 0.2 so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays low for some time to come. I haven't had a second scan to see how the mets are (extensive in pelvis, lower spine and ribs on initial scan) so am totally unaware of the effect of Hormone Therapy on same.

Be interested to learn what your next reading shows.

User
Posted 11 Nov 2014 at 13:19
Hi Piglet, i was diagnosed in Dec 2009 with a psa of 1730, extensive bone mets and spread to lymph nodes. I took part in the STAMPEDE trial and was given chemo, ht and Zometa.Almost 5 years on and after reaching an all time low of 0.6 my psa has slowly risen to 7.6, my most recent scan showed that the bone mets had no progression in the 5 years and that there was no trace of lymph node involvment any more.I think early chemo helped me. Good luck and God Bless
User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 11:13

Thanks for the various encouraging comments. Your story is really cheering,Speedy, and has helped calm me this morning when I was going through a wobbly patch.

We will see the oncologist on Monday, hopefully to arrange and sign up for the chemo. We will also see the nurse to discuss some of our concerns. It is hard for Tony to choose treatment that will make him feel ill when he's feeling so well at the moment (on Sunday we walked 7 miles!) but there's something to be said for being fit and strong at the start of it - and also having it in the winter, when there's not so much to miss out on.

We have booked a last-minute week in Lanzarote at the end of this month, which I am SO looking forward to. Having some quality time together is so important. Once the chemo starts (and a finish date is known), we can start to plan some treats for later in the Spring.

I signed up here with a silly name, not knowing how open I would want to be on a new forum, but I am already feeling more at home here and will sign off with my real name, which is
Marje

User
Posted 13 Nov 2014 at 13:07
Hi Marje, i know not all tolerate chemo well but i managed to work right through my course of treatment and am still working at present. Hope your husband responds well to chemo and his fitness will surely help.Good luck and take care
User
Posted 13 Nov 2014 at 20:50

Hi Marje,

Currently undergoing chemo at the moment, just had #5 last Friday.

Diagnosed last September with mets in hips and spine, Hormone treatment has been going well with little side effects and PSA down to 3.0, but Oncol thought good idea to blast with chemo to reduce more and give "cancer a kicking".

I have been fortunate with the treatment, very little side effects, still got hair!, and still working. I am aware that others have not faired so well whilst undergoing chemo, but would say early chemo worth it in the long run.

Steve

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 11:08

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve. I have to say that if Tony ends up with hair it will be a miracle, as he's been bald since he was about 30! So losing the little fuzzy bits around the edges would not be a problem. If his eyebrows go, he'll look a bit odd, but I don't think this necessarily happens. Unlike you and Speedy above, we are both retired, so Tony being tired or queasy at times should be manageable, especially in the winter months when there's less to do in the garden etc. I'll let you know how it goes.
Marje