Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Completed - A New Challenge Begins

User
Posted 11 Nov 2014 at 23:28

Hi,

I complete my course of nineteen fractions of Radiotherapy (3Gy) on Friday morning, pleased that it seemed to have gone well but wondering about the future.  What was about to happen, I wasn't expecting.

During my final stages of RT, I'd started to suffer a discharge of mucus and blood from my back passage.  Restricted pee flow had been a problem all the way through, only partly helped by Tamsulosin tablets, and when I strained to pee I got a feeling that I wanted to empty my bowels too. By Friday evening I seemed to start suffer a lot from wind, which caused me to discharge more mucus and blood to the point where it wet my pants.  During Saturday, while I was covering sports events for a local paper, it happened at least a dozen times.  I had to resort to buying some small incontinence pads because I was running out of pants to change into but worst was to follow on Sunday. 

I woke up, ate cereals, was just walking into the kitchen when I had a sudden urge to go to the toilet.  I raced up stairs but didn't make it.  I emptied my bowels before reaching the bathroom.  I was shocked and embarrassed. Anyway, thought it was a one off but I was wrong.  I was in the middle of a sports field photographing a football match and it happened again.  Then again at a fireworks display in the evening and finally at home just before bed.  I probably only had about 20 seconds warning each time and there was nothing I could do to stop it.  I felt really down.

On Monday morning I decided that maybe the only way to try and cope with this was to go to the toilet regularly.  During the course of the day I must have gone over a dozen times.  It did seem to work in preventing any further accidents. 

In the afternoon, I called in to see my GP, he agreed the problems I had was most likely due to the RT and that they would probably subside over the next two or three weeks.

This has made me feel quite down.  There are certain work situations which I would find it difficult to deal with in my present state.  I'm a freelance so if I don't work, I don't earn any money, so it's very worrying. 

I've called my uro-oncology nurse and she's trying to put me in touch with someone who maybe able to help but so far they haven't rung me back.

Has anyone else faced similar side effects following radiotherapy?

Steve

Edited by member 12 Nov 2014 at 08:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 08:20

Hi Steve,
sorry to hear about your latest development.

I've had some of these side effects but not as intense as yours.
I had some mucus events that started around a month after finishing RT.
Feeling 'wet' and finding a mucus discharge.
I've not had any blood events though. I was warned that blood & mucus could be an issue.

Mine have gone now (I hope)
They seemed to happen when I put pressure on my body, bending over while doing DIY type events.
One classic was while I had a cold, I blew my nose, you can guess the rest.

I'm guessing your side effects are more pronounced due to the high dosage you received over a short period.
Not giving the bowel enough time to repair perhaps.

As you say, it's worrying but for me it's now in the past. (Fingers crossed)

I'd approach the RT team, probably your support nurse. It's certainly not uncommon for guys on the 2Gy path so I'd guess that it would be more common for guys like yourself?

It did make me wary about leaving the house for a while if I'm honest.

all the best

Kevin

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 08:49

Oh no Steve, this must be unbearable for you.

My OH did not experience this as badly, but did have a couple of 'close calls' in this respect.

You must understandably feel housebound.

Can you get cover for your next week of jobs so that you can get down to the hospital to try and sort this out?

I know its not great but they do have some tena pants in the chemist that may assist a bit for now.

Thinking of you.

Maybe someone else can come along and help more with some advice?

Alison

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 16:03

Hi Steve,

You're not alone in experiencing this.
I suffered badly, but it didn't hit me till about two years after RT.

I had every scan possible, including a colonoscopy and all was well apart from weakened blood vessels in the back passage because of the radiation treatment.

At first I was told it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and treated it as such (no improvement), but then, through trial and error I found that one Loperamide capsule every day settled the problem.

I am still taking Loperamide daily, and I know there's another of our friends here who had the same problem and does the same.

Ask your GP for a prescription and give it a try.
You may need a couple a day to start with,but just experiment to see what doseage works for you.

Good luck with this, because I know it's a soul destroying complaint to have,

George

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 18:07
Hi Steve

this latest turn of events will understandably leave you feeling low, RT can have some wide ranging side effects from instantaneous to quite some time after the event. I think you should pursue medical help but in the meantime whilst I am no exoert there are a couple of things that you can do both medically and naturally to try and reduce the dramatic events. If your bowel is very upset from the RT eating oily foods will make your stools a lot softer, indeed too much fat can make them virtually liquid, a bowel that has not been disturbed can normally contain and hold onto that long enough to get to a loo, but in a weakened scenario and with bad wind it can become an involuntary escape. The normal daily intake of fat should not be higher than 60gs but you may get relief if you try and keep this below 30gs spread evenly acoss your meals. If you are going 3 or more times a day urgently and rather explosively then do as George suggests and take Loperimide if you can't wait for a prescription buy Imodium over the counter but take with caution and as soon as your stools start to firm up stop taking it as making your stools too firm will possibly make the bleeding/mucus start over.

In terms of going about your normal line of work and if you want to feel a bit more secure then it may be necessary to resort to wearing Teena briefs or a similar product from Boots as Alison mentioned, they look a bit like snug fitting boxer shorts ...not the sexiest underwear but they are practical. They are designed to tear apart at the seams so they can be removed without dragging any waste down your body.

carry some wet wipes or a handful of baby wipes in a ziploc plastic bag when you go out, a carrier bag for tie off and disposal and a spare set of briefs.

I re-iterate these should be seen as very temporary measures, you sould get proper medical advice as soon as you can.

Having any kind of incontinence issue is awful but Faecal incontinence or close to it really is a difficult one to deal with not usually anything medically serious but just downright embarassing. Thankfully For most men the problem is relatively short lived.

Stay strong

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 08:10

Steve,
it took a while for my bladder to catch up after treatment stopped.
I assume you are still on Tamsulosin. When you get the nod to come off it later on you will go through another cycle of bladder fun until you settle down again.

It's easy to sit here and type but I do remember the frustration of the bladder and bowel issues after RT stopped.
You feel that as treatment is finished so should all the issues, sadly not. The body is still playing catch up.
I found the best thing was to not make it a big deal in your own mind and just try and live with it.
... easy to say...

all the best

Kevin

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 09:31

Steve

"I'm doing that about five times a night and I'm feeling so tired because of it"

Most guys I know come of meds but some off us don’t. 10 years of various meds I’m still at least 4 times a night with so far as I know no heath issues due to lack of sleep. So don’t get stressed out on this you need ‘x’ amount of sleep. Remember RT tiredness can last for a few weeks after RT ends plus other areas of you life will be causing some sleep issues. So relax best you can.

Good luck in other areas of your life.

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 08:20

Hi Steve,
sorry to hear about your latest development.

I've had some of these side effects but not as intense as yours.
I had some mucus events that started around a month after finishing RT.
Feeling 'wet' and finding a mucus discharge.
I've not had any blood events though. I was warned that blood & mucus could be an issue.

Mine have gone now (I hope)
They seemed to happen when I put pressure on my body, bending over while doing DIY type events.
One classic was while I had a cold, I blew my nose, you can guess the rest.

I'm guessing your side effects are more pronounced due to the high dosage you received over a short period.
Not giving the bowel enough time to repair perhaps.

As you say, it's worrying but for me it's now in the past. (Fingers crossed)

I'd approach the RT team, probably your support nurse. It's certainly not uncommon for guys on the 2Gy path so I'd guess that it would be more common for guys like yourself?

It did make me wary about leaving the house for a while if I'm honest.

all the best

Kevin

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 08:49

Oh no Steve, this must be unbearable for you.

My OH did not experience this as badly, but did have a couple of 'close calls' in this respect.

You must understandably feel housebound.

Can you get cover for your next week of jobs so that you can get down to the hospital to try and sort this out?

I know its not great but they do have some tena pants in the chemist that may assist a bit for now.

Thinking of you.

Maybe someone else can come along and help more with some advice?

Alison

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 16:03

Hi Steve,

You're not alone in experiencing this.
I suffered badly, but it didn't hit me till about two years after RT.

I had every scan possible, including a colonoscopy and all was well apart from weakened blood vessels in the back passage because of the radiation treatment.

At first I was told it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and treated it as such (no improvement), but then, through trial and error I found that one Loperamide capsule every day settled the problem.

I am still taking Loperamide daily, and I know there's another of our friends here who had the same problem and does the same.

Ask your GP for a prescription and give it a try.
You may need a couple a day to start with,but just experiment to see what doseage works for you.

Good luck with this, because I know it's a soul destroying complaint to have,

George

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 18:07
Hi Steve

this latest turn of events will understandably leave you feeling low, RT can have some wide ranging side effects from instantaneous to quite some time after the event. I think you should pursue medical help but in the meantime whilst I am no exoert there are a couple of things that you can do both medically and naturally to try and reduce the dramatic events. If your bowel is very upset from the RT eating oily foods will make your stools a lot softer, indeed too much fat can make them virtually liquid, a bowel that has not been disturbed can normally contain and hold onto that long enough to get to a loo, but in a weakened scenario and with bad wind it can become an involuntary escape. The normal daily intake of fat should not be higher than 60gs but you may get relief if you try and keep this below 30gs spread evenly acoss your meals. If you are going 3 or more times a day urgently and rather explosively then do as George suggests and take Loperimide if you can't wait for a prescription buy Imodium over the counter but take with caution and as soon as your stools start to firm up stop taking it as making your stools too firm will possibly make the bleeding/mucus start over.

In terms of going about your normal line of work and if you want to feel a bit more secure then it may be necessary to resort to wearing Teena briefs or a similar product from Boots as Alison mentioned, they look a bit like snug fitting boxer shorts ...not the sexiest underwear but they are practical. They are designed to tear apart at the seams so they can be removed without dragging any waste down your body.

carry some wet wipes or a handful of baby wipes in a ziploc plastic bag when you go out, a carrier bag for tie off and disposal and a spare set of briefs.

I re-iterate these should be seen as very temporary measures, you sould get proper medical advice as soon as you can.

Having any kind of incontinence issue is awful but Faecal incontinence or close to it really is a difficult one to deal with not usually anything medically serious but just downright embarassing. Thankfully For most men the problem is relatively short lived.

Stay strong

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Nov 2014 at 18:12

"I woke up, ate cereals, was just walking into the kitchen when I had a sudden urge to go to the toilet."

You really need to be using a low-fibre diet to help . High fibre , as in cereal, suggests you are not doing this. It may mean using stodgy foods for a while.

Google low fibre foods & have a look.

I did find porridge soaked overnight ( in water only ) helpful. You will get the urgency first thing but it seems to help clear through the bowels. You may need to be prepared to go several times before going out for the day. Such frequency is not unusual post R/T.

Until it improves, your best friends will be the removable pants as previously mentioned. You may find you can use a slim disposable pad within those pants to save full changes. And a pocketful of plastic bags for disposals when out.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 00:16

Thanks Kevin, Alison, George, Mo and Rob for all of your good advice and concern.  In view of the news I received on Friday (see my other post about my work situation) I haven't felt much like posting in the last few days.

Reading my opening post on this thread, I can't believe I was so detailed in what was happening. I suppose it helps to be honest but sometimes embarrassing.

Anyway, an update to what has happen since last week.  I found that if I tried to empty my bowels regularly (6 to 8 times a day) I was able to avoid accidents.  I was pleased not to have to resort to the tena pants.  I just have to make sure that I don't forget to keep up with this routine because if I do get a sudden urge to go, I still seem to have only about 20 seconds to reach a toilet.

I think the smaller pads I mentioned will be needed for a while longer because I still have the mucus leakage problem though there doesn't seem to be much sign of any blood, thankfully.

One thing I have suffered is having to get up at night more often to have a pee.  I'm doing that about five times a night and I'm feeling so tired because of it.  My pee flow is still quite weak therefore I'm probably not emptying my bladder enough, so this maybe the reason for such regular visits.  

Hopefully, things will improve in the coming weeks. 

Steve

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 08:10

Steve,
it took a while for my bladder to catch up after treatment stopped.
I assume you are still on Tamsulosin. When you get the nod to come off it later on you will go through another cycle of bladder fun until you settle down again.

It's easy to sit here and type but I do remember the frustration of the bladder and bowel issues after RT stopped.
You feel that as treatment is finished so should all the issues, sadly not. The body is still playing catch up.
I found the best thing was to not make it a big deal in your own mind and just try and live with it.
... easy to say...

all the best

Kevin

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 09:31

Steve

"I'm doing that about five times a night and I'm feeling so tired because of it"

Most guys I know come of meds but some off us don’t. 10 years of various meds I’m still at least 4 times a night with so far as I know no heath issues due to lack of sleep. So don’t get stressed out on this you need ‘x’ amount of sleep. Remember RT tiredness can last for a few weeks after RT ends plus other areas of you life will be causing some sleep issues. So relax best you can.

Good luck in other areas of your life.

Ray

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 20:33

Good evening Steve,

Glad that you have posted as I was wondering how you were getting on with the bowels problem. I am glad to hear that you are 'managing' it a bit more now and hopefully things will only get better.

I think that your posts are really helpful for other people reading the site, and to give such frank information is really what everyone needs, as being vague leads the mind to wonder what you really mean. If only everyone was so straight talking...

In terms of the nocturia, my OH has to get up 5-8 times per night and he is absolutely shattered by it. Infact it was getting to affect our daytime lives so much that I insisted he speak to the Dr about it, but that got us nowhere at that time. As we all know - being tired affects everything else in our lives and all those around us. He suffered on for 3 years getting up several times, I used to wake up with him (then I was tired) so we bought a 7 foot wide bed so when he gets up now and the mattress does not bounce and wake me up.

To the point though - he had some bad shoulder pain lately that after much worry was put down to arthritis and is having physio, but the Dr also gave him some sleeping pills and they have been marvellous. He now sleeps all night (or gets up only once). It seems as though he was not getting into a deep sleep so the bladder was waking him up. I have not got the name of them - but will look them up if required, as he wakes up feeling refreshed and not groggy at all (as can happen with some tablets).

Once things settle down a bit with your symptoms it may be something that you could try?? Or you may not need them at all.

Stay strong

Alison x

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 22:48

Is there anyone on this forum who has successfully completed their RT with no bladder or bowel problems?

The numerous tales from the guy's above and others on the Macmillan forum are beginning to concern me a bit, as I start my RT on Monday...

Are the problems being discussed due to 'bad luck' or due to RT session set-up accuracy of pelvic alignment, internal organ alignment and prostate gland displacement before treatment delivery?

I don't suppose there is an easily understood 'layman's' answer to this

Ho Hum...!

Tamtoot

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 22:59

Hi Tamtoot,

Yes there are people who have completed RT with no bladder or bowel problems or any side effects at all, and I am one of them.

I completed 37 fractions of RT on 26th September 2014, so i am now 16 weeks post treatment and have had no side effects at all. There are also a few guys in my support group who are the same. What you have to remember about these types of forums is that most people who come on are looking for advice due to side effects or other issues. This means you read about a lot of problems and issues, but most people who sail through treatments just go away and get on with their life, they have no need to come on the forum. This is one of the reasons I still come on the forum although I have had no issues at all, to let people know there are plenty of people who get successful treatments with no problems.

Good luck to all who are fighting or affected by cancer.

Regards,

Gerry.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 01:13

Steve,
Didn't have regular blood in my stools but it has happened 2 o3 times in last 6 years, possibly due to RT or maybe due to slight constipation. The last occasion was quite recently when I had bright red blood on the tissue paper. My GP thought it might be that RT weakened a vein but it has not happened in the several weeks since. However, I did have mucus when passing stools, gradually reducing for up to 6 months after RT. This is quite common. Early on I was not sure whether sometimes I just wanted to pass wind or whether it would include mucus. I called this wet farts which caught me out a few times in the early days.

Imodium may help but I would get professional advice before taking it regularly. 

Hope these symptoms subside soon but be prepared at least for the mucus taking several months to end completely.

Edited by member 11 Jan 2015 at 10:48  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 01:48

Hi Tamtoot,
Hold your nerve. My husband had no problems at all with bowel or bladder, didn't need enemas, no bleeding during or after. And he was having 3Gy each session rather than 2Gy as part of a trial. He was perhaps unusual in that the RT team wanted him to have a high fibre diet (it seems that men are more usually asked to stick to a low fibre diet during the treatment) and he was told absolutely no alcohol or fizzy drinks which he stuck to rigidly. John worked full time throughout the treatment, had his appointment at 8.30am on the way to work and went to the gym every night - the only side effect was the need for an afternoon nap towards the end (either on head on his desk or coming home a little earlier).

Hope all goes well

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 02:41

Hi Tamtoot,

Please don't be concerned about the RT because I'm sure you'll be fine with it.  I think what Gerry said in his post is very true, you sometimes tend to hear about the people who have had problems, not all the ones who have no problems at all.

I think getting the bladder and bowel right is the best thing you can do to help the procedure.  I did find that was a little difficult because unlike Lyn's husband, John, I wasn't lucky enough to have my appointments at the same time each day.  It may help to read my threads about my RT treatment (it's in two parts) if you haven't done so but don't be put off by doing that.  I'm sure my experiences are not the norm.  Anyway, what happened two days after my last post on this thread proves that what sometimes happens to me certainly doesn't happen to everyone.

Feel confident and I think you enjoy the RT experience.  You'll meet some great people while you're there (I was sorry when it ended, like others on this site) and I have to say one of the best feelings you get is that you're finally having proactive treatment to fight this disease.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve

Edited by member 11 Jan 2015 at 02:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 09:46

Thank you all for the reassurance. My concerns are now history...and will advise my outcome in due course.

Tamtoot

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 19:54

Hi Tamtoot

I had 66Gy over 33 sessions ending about 15 months ago I have very few problems, I probably go for a poo more regularly (usually twice a day instead of once) and my bladder is more sensitive so I pee more regularly too, the flow is a bit slower and my continence which had fully recovered after my prostatectomy deteriorated a bit (back to 1 very light pad per day to catch the odd stress drip), but that is getting better again.

I joined the Rapper study which is trying to work out how to predict who will get bad side effects from radiotherapy.

Andrew

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 20:47

Andrew,

I envy your 'twice a day' experience..

I completed my Conformal 3D CRT 55Gy x 20 sessions on Friday 6th Feb and am now left totally bunged up. This has been going on since last weekend when the constipation set in after the third week and has been pretty much the same since. I am taking Fybogel twice a day. Am running to and from the toilet, I don't know how many times daily and would dearly love a good sleep. I changed my diet radically in an attempt to stimulate movement, with nothing but wind, pain, mucous & blooded wipes. I fear to strain too much as haemorrhoid's have developed and am concerned of further damage to the back end. I was provided with Fybogel, Suppositories and anti-nausea tablets by my Onco on Friday. Suppositories tend to last a few minutes only, before being ejected under pressure (LOL, there's something to tell the Grandkids..). Oddly enough the waterworks are faring well, due, I guess, to my water intake of 4+ litres per day. So all in all, not a happy bunny at this time. I will be on the phone to McMillan tomorrow AM to seek their advice as no doubt, I will have little chance of a local GP appointment.

I enjoyed the company and friendship of others while on RT at the hospital but I would not wish my current experience on anyone.. At age 74, I find the side effects of RT very debilitating, any one who did not experience them, during, or after RT, is a very lucky man indeed.

Tamtoot

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 22:23
Hi Tamtoot,

4 litres of water a day sounds a tad too much, watch your Sodium levels.

Stu

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 00:45
Hi Tamtoot,

Really sorry you have been having such a tough time. All I can say is that even though things seems difficult now, it will get better over time.

These are very early days yet, but just try to think of positives, you have given your cancer a real battering.

There are those who have no problems, as others mentioned before you started. I think they are very lucky. Even though I had a bit of a difficult time, I was happy I had the chance to have it done.

I've said before, I'm prepared to do what's necessary to fight this disease.

Things will improve over time.

Stay strong.

All the Best,

Steve

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 10:23

Stuc,

This liquid intake was on the advice of my Lead Radiologist. When she asked how I was managing at the end of the first week, I mentioned that I was finding the waterworks a wee bit fiery, so she asked how much I was drinking, I said about 2Litres a day, her reply was 'double it and you will find things easier'. So I did and found peeing a lot easier. In retrospect, think I could retract the + after my 4 Litres statement.

Thanks for the advice on the sodium. I will now level back to about three litres for the next week.

Kind regards,

Tamtoot

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 10:37

Stuc,

I think you are on to something there. Having looked it up on the internet, it would appear by my drinking too much water I may have induced Hyponatremia which could have caused some of the problems I had encountered over the last week or so, such as:

• Nausea.
  • Headache.
  • Confusion.
  • Loss of energy and fatigue.
  • Restlessness and irritability.
  • Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps.

Good advice. Thank you

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 12:37

What a difference a day makes...

Please excuse my rant last night re the state of my bowel.  Things are now moving and I can only apologise to you all for feeling sorry for myself. My concerns pales into insignificance against the stories of others out there much less fortunate than I.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 23:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

What a difference a day makes...

Please excuse my rant last night re the state of my bowel.  Things are now moving and I can only apologise to you all for feeling sorry for myself. My concerns pales into insignificance against the stories of others out there much less fortunate than I.

There is no need to apologise  Your problem may not be as serious as someones else problem, but, it is nonetheless significant for you.

Glad to read that things are moving for you.

atb

dave

User
Posted 10 Feb 2015 at 09:34

What a dafty you are.
Did you really think it necessary to apologise for feeling a bit down.
What do you think we are all here for eh?

EACH OTHER !!!!

Glad the situation is resolving itself.

I watched my other half coping with the severest constipation he has ever experienced following his Brachy so have an inkling of what you have been through.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Feb 2015 at 12:51

Hi All,

I should start off by saying that my experience was extremely rare (I understand) and no one should feel this is an common or likely side effect of RT but perhaps worth mentioning as all knowledge helps.

I was a bit concerned about my ability for follow the bowl emptying regime as I have suffered from constipation from as far as I can remember, so I was quite keen to follow the requirements as outlined to me.

I was warned , beforehand (as we are) to expect blood and mucus in my stools. So after the first week when what seemed copious amounts of blood appeared in the bowl I was a bit complacent, however it turned into a situation more like stools in my blood. So much that I was concerned about anemia.

It turned into something a bit scary so I brought it to the attention of the staff and then followed various tests.

The upshot was that it appeared to be haemorroids which I had previously been unaware of suffering from. However from that point the external symptoms of piles appeared 

The likely cause was that I had taken to the bowl emptying routine too enthusiastically. My  RT hospital had a policy of randomising the daily appoinments to ensure fairness so the routine had happen anytime between 07:00 and 18:00 depending on that day's appointment.

I was taken off the dispensed enemas and changed my diet and it halted the deluge. I had one more bout of severe bleeding before the RT ended. 

I was told that I would have a  Sigmography once things settled down post-RT but as often in the ways of these things, it never happened.  This diagnosis of haemorroids seems reasonable enough so I didn't chase it it.

My RT was almost a year ago now and although the PSA results could be better, one positive outcome it that my constipation seems a thing of the past and I am now like clockwork! There is still the occasional small amount of mucus but I take that positively, as a sign that the RT is still working.

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 20 Mar 2015 at 18:37

Good day all,

Well it's now 6 weeks since I completed my RT and I have had a bad time of it since with Acute Radiation Proctitis and bowel incontinence. Waterworks are no problem.
I did finally manage to insert some Proctosedyl suppositories ( Hydrocortisone 5mg/Cinchocaine HCI 5mg.) suppositories as prescribed by my GP, who visited me at home. He also prescribed some Proctosedyl Ointment for external application. This seemed to resolve the pain and irritation post BM's but I was limited to using them for 7days max. I now get to have a sleep but have 'immediate' urges with little or no warning around 8am daily which then goes on for another 5 or 6 times until around 10am. Thereafter I have a few 'false alarms' or mixed mucous events. So as you may guess, all this has left me virtually housebound as I have nil confidence to venture out for more than hour and only then with a pair of 'Attends Pull-On' padded pants. No accidents recorded to date though...!

As a result of the above and in the hope that my bowel incontinence problem resolves itself, I have requested a couple of weeks postponement to my follow up appointment with my Oncologist

I decided to give Macmillan a ring today to seek their advice. I had a call back and chat with a very understanding Macmillan nurse today. She suggested I may need to consider Loperamide tablets ( Imodium) to slow the passage of my stool down the tract. I am a bit wary of this as I have used the stuff many times to relieve diarrhoea when working overseas and found it to be a generally rapid cure, however I found that it's use over a few days tends to lead on to constipation. That I do not want!

I will check with my GP before using Imodium.

Cheers

Tamtoot

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 17:52

Hi,

Just thought I'd update this post because of a bit of a milestone.

Last month (July), was the first month I haven't suffered any bowel urgency accidents.  I really hope this means things are improving down there.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I still get occasional bleeding (which is hard to stop because of heart meds), but far worse is the tiredness, and the feeling of not wanting to do anything (more to do with continuing HT rather than the effects of RT).

Good luck with your treatment, everyone.

Steve