Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When you're down..Life has a habit of kicking you in the teeth

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 00:03

Hi,

Have you ever noticed, that sometimes when things start to go wrong, everything goes wrong!

Had a rotten week of not very nice RT side effects (see my conversation "Radiotherapy Completed - A New Challenge Begins"), and to round it off, the newspaper who provides me with 80% of my work, announced today, they are closing in four weeks time. 

Because I'm a freelance, there will no redundancy or anything like that.  I already felt down, now I feel as if I've hit rock bottom.

I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Steve

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 15:10

Dear Steve

I agree that things happen like this. Just when you thought that things couldn't get any worse......

What also can happen is that things turn out okay in the end...we seem to muddle through somehow.

All I can say for now is get hold of that little baby and snuggle him....a recent newspaper said that the best thing in the world was a feeling of a baby falling asleep on you...you could do with a bit of that at the moment.

Thinking of you

Alison

User
Posted 17 Nov 2014 at 17:30

Hi Steve

Real sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, I finished Chemo a few days ago, got home and tripped, breaking my right foot (5th metatarsal)  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif. Today one of the dogs was very ill and £300 later we're still nursing both her and a broken credit card http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif. It never rains but it pours http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

PS - the light at the end of the tunnel is the oncoming train http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

Edited by member 17 Nov 2014 at 17:32  | Reason: Not specified

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 23:07

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to say a big "Thank you" to you all for all your messages.  You've made me feel better by being there for me.  I appreciate the advice and also the things that made me smile, thanks.

I was shocked by the news on Friday, as much as I was when I was told I had cancer, in fact probably more so. It makes me feel more uncertain about my future which is something that I don't need at the moment.

I know there are people in a much worse position than me and I'm very lucky, but it doesn't stop me feeling down when things like this happen.  Perhaps the hormone therapy makes things feel worse.  It has affected my life in so many ways.

I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow, I don't know why, I only received the letter on Saturday.  Hope it's just to discuss my RT side effects rather than anything more serious.  I only finish RT two weeks ago so it's too soon for my post RT review. 

Fingers crossed.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 10:08

Good Luck today Steve,

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 15:10

Dear Steve

I agree that things happen like this. Just when you thought that things couldn't get any worse......

What also can happen is that things turn out okay in the end...we seem to muddle through somehow.

All I can say for now is get hold of that little baby and snuggle him....a recent newspaper said that the best thing in the world was a feeling of a baby falling asleep on you...you could do with a bit of that at the moment.

Thinking of you

Alison

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 19:07
Hi Alison,

My grandson is one of the positive things in my life just now. You're right, a cuddle with him would make things much better. I wish I could do that without the worry of other things.

Steve

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 19:09

Damn Steve, that's some bad luck you are having.

All I can do is echo what Alison said and chill out with a session with the little 'un.

Thinking of you mate!

Kevin

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 20:24

Lesson I've learned Steve is that there is always someone worse off than you

Hope you start feeling better soon

Bri

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 20:26
Oh Steve

That's not good news. I'm sorry to hear it. Alison is right though, it is amazing sometimes how things work out for the best. I sincerely hope so, maybe something new and better will come along.

I have recently had a granddaughter and I must admit cuddling that little one soothes me more than I can say.

Take care and fingers crossed for something good turning up.

Lots of good wishes

Allison

User
Posted 15 Nov 2014 at 20:28

Hi Steve,

Your having a rotten run of luck but it WILL turn, things will work out you'll see, keep your chin up mate.

No matter how bad things seem at the moment, life will carry on and things will get better.

Whatever will be will be whether you worry or not, so why worry?

Give the baby a big hug and soak up that wonderful feeling.

All the best mate,

Gerry.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 09:19

Steve,

Just been thinking about practicalities.

Do you have any life cover seen as you are self employed? Sometimes these will pay out (instead) when you have a critical illness.

Alison

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 10:09
Steve

I am so sorry that you have had yet another big blow, I did think along the same lines as Alison re the insurance but unfortunatley I think this only gets considered if you have been given a prognosis of incurable. I hope I am wrong. However just because you are self employed does not mean you are not entitled to something. As a self employed person did you ever take out Permanenet health insurance or critical illness cover? if you did get claiming and if not then you should consider calling the Macmillan benefits line as you may be entitled to some form of financial help.

There again you may not actually need this and may be down simply bacause you love what you do and are worried that you may not find similar work.

Whatever it is you are not alone and as others have said life works in the most mysterious of ways, something better may be just around the corner.

Live in hope and hope to live

Best wishes

xx

Mo

Edited by member 16 Nov 2014 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 16:12

One disadvantage being self employed is that when one door close's another one slams in your face, particuarly if youre over 50

its a cruel world out there, but how would you be able to appreciate fully the good times unless you have suffered adversity....

life will get better, chin up old bean, weve all been there, theres much to lean from this life experience

good luck and good health

Regards, john

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 18:43

Steve so sorry you have had this blow as well.   Have you already offered your services as a photographer on Facebook and any other local browser- we have one called Streetlife.com?   Ask your friends to tell you of any jobs available and what about teaching in your local college?   Don't rule anything out but while you are recuperating try to think positively.   Not easy ,I know, but you have taken the first step on the ladder up out of this s***.  

Meanwhile cuddle that baby and your loved ones,El.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2014 at 17:30

Hi Steve

Real sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, I finished Chemo a few days ago, got home and tripped, breaking my right foot (5th metatarsal)  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif. Today one of the dogs was very ill and £300 later we're still nursing both her and a broken credit card http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif. It never rains but it pours http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

PS - the light at the end of the tunnel is the oncoming train http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

Edited by member 17 Nov 2014 at 17:32  | Reason: Not specified

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 23:07

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to say a big "Thank you" to you all for all your messages.  You've made me feel better by being there for me.  I appreciate the advice and also the things that made me smile, thanks.

I was shocked by the news on Friday, as much as I was when I was told I had cancer, in fact probably more so. It makes me feel more uncertain about my future which is something that I don't need at the moment.

I know there are people in a much worse position than me and I'm very lucky, but it doesn't stop me feeling down when things like this happen.  Perhaps the hormone therapy makes things feel worse.  It has affected my life in so many ways.

I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow, I don't know why, I only received the letter on Saturday.  Hope it's just to discuss my RT side effects rather than anything more serious.  I only finish RT two weeks ago so it's too soon for my post RT review. 

Fingers crossed.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 08:27

Good luck today Steve. If it's any consolation both John and I have had a couple of appointment letters like that and they just meant they were sent 2nd class!!
Keep us posted.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 08:45
Hi Sandra,

Thanks.

Today's appointment letter was sent first class on Friday. I'm sure it's probably to discuss my RT side effects. We'll see.

Steve

Edited by member 20 Nov 2014 at 09:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 08:59

Good luck Steve

Trevor

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 09:15
Thanks Trevor,

Steve

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 10:08

Good Luck today Steve,

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 25 Nov 2014 at 20:44

From a very concerned (for you) ex-freelancer, please tell us all how the consultation went.
Meantime, I'm hoping with everything X-ed that this will all work out.
Kindest regards and best wishes, grab that grandson, and don't forget the MacMillan contacts advice.
All the best, b0b