I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy experiences

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 22:20

Going for a TRUS biopsy next Tuesday. Anyone to share their experiences?

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 08:20

Hi Misiekbear,

It sounds much worse than it is, they insert a device up your back passage, it has needles etc within it and they take samples of your prostate by going through the wall of your bowel.

When I had it done it was a chrome plated bit of kit with a red light on the end (imagine if the Terminator had a penis?)

There isn't too much pain, you get to hear clicks, which sound much like a stapeller, each time they take a sample.

It has an inbuilt scanner which allows the doctor to see your prostate in great detail, when I had it done I chatted with him, and he was able to tell me there and then, that I actually had cancer.  Of course you have to wait for the lab results for definitive confirmation with Gleason grades etc.

Afterwards you will find yourself bleeding from the anus and penis, in my case this went on for some weeks, fresh blood at first, in your urine, stools and semen, I am guessing that some blood must puddle within you, for I noticed it got progressively darker in the weeks following the biopsy, we used to joke about me having 'spunk of the devil'.

So there it is, a bit discomforting, like getting shafted by the Terminator, and you will bleed for a few days afterwards, but by Christmas you will be back to normal.

Best of luck.

Dave  

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 11:24

Yep!

My experience was pretty much as Dave described in the previous post...... 

I was prescribed antibiotics for a few days more than normal as a precaution against infection as I had been  prone to prostatitis in the past....
Main thing is to try and relax and have a chat as the procedure is being carried out..

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 11:35
Hi,

I just wanted to say that the thought about what's going to happen was far worse than the actual experience. I know you can't help being worried about eventual outcome too but I found you just have to be reassured that at least you know the situation you have to deal with. Very often it's not as bad as you imagine so you might as well know. Then you can deal with it.

I found we were joking all the way through the biopsy and that really helped. I hardly noticed the samples being taken.

When I left the hospital I did find I walked a bit like John Wayne for a day or two but not a problem. The most dramatic moment came the following day when I emptied my bowels. I shouted from the bathroom to my wife that I thought my period had arrived! We had a good laugh about that. It only happened once and soon things were back to normal.

I hope things go well for you and try not to worry, we're all here for you.

Steve

Edited by member 29 Nov 2014 at 11:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 12:23

For me it was a painful experience, but dont let that put you off,

it has to be done and I was probably unlucky on the day or they plain forgot the anaesthetic.     :-(

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 14:38

Yes, me too. The anaesthetic seemed to have no effect and the surgeon had to stop after the eleventh sample because I was about to have a heart attack following which I spent a day in hospital. We are all different and respond in different ways. The vast majority report a not too bad experience on the whole so don't worry too much.

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 17:46
Hi

Pretty straight forward slight discomfort, be aware that you may have blood in your urine, motions and semen that will take a few days to clear.

Thanks chris

Edited by member 06 Dec 2014 at 10:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 01:01

John had his biopsy on the way to work and never thought about it. No blood in urine or anywhere else and I think he would have forgotten he had even had it done if the result had been negative!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 14:44

Hi misiekbear,

I must say that my TRUS biopsy was a lot less unpleasant than I expected it to be.  I had a bit of blood in my urine and in my semen but that cleared up after a short while. The experience - for me - was uncomfortable, rather than painful and I noticed the 'bang' noise of the machine rather than the prick of the needle when it was fired.  They had a 'spare' person in the room whose role was to talk to me to distract me with questions about what I did for work and the like.  It worked for me.

Patrick

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 15:09

ditto - I hardly had any discomfort at all and very little blood in the urine afterwards. Fingers crossed it's the same for you - good luck!

User
Posted 04 Feb 2015 at 22:33
When my consultant suggested I had a TRUS biopsy last summer, after doing a bit of research, I was reluctant. Not because of the procedure but more the uncertainty of getting an accurate result. More research lead me to the PROMIS trial which I got my GP to refer me to. I had an MRI, TRUS biopsy and Template biopsy. All biopsies were under general anaesthetic so no discomfort, although I ended up being catheterised for a week cos I couldn't pee! The results were interesting. My PSA was 8. The TRUS biopsies were all clear. The MRI indicated cancer in 2 areas. The Template biopsies confirmed cancer, 3+4.

Had I had just a TRUS biopsy I guess I would watching and waiting still. Instead, I'm seeing my consultant tomorrow to see what happens next.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 11:48

My PSA levels have now shot up to 6.77 (I'm 52). MRI scan was clear six months and doctor has recommended a biopsy. Really not looking forward to it but will share my experience here.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 12:07

Don't worry Yummy - there are a wide range of experiences here - I'll add mine - wasn't that bad, anaesthetic worked, though felt the 'stapler' working. Red pee etc for a few days then fine. Worst thing for me was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic - I went all red blotchy & itchy while sitting with a coffee waiting for the biopsy. Wondered what the hell was happening. Wore off after an hour. Not something you want to wake up and do every day, but really not that bad. DONT WORRY !

User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 13:18

I never felt anything. you will be peeing blood for about 2 weeks afterwards, but it's only a mild inconvenience.

paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 17:37

Hi, my other half said the first few of biopsies were not too bad, but when he moved to the other side he sad it was agony, so it must be how the aneasthetic goes in. He was told not to drive home after, I did and he did complain on the bumpy back roads but next day was fine. No blood in pee but was in the semen (infact the colour shocked us, but perfectly normal, apparently)

User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 19:16

The thought and anxiety was far worse than the actual operation. It had been described to me that it would feel like someone had pinged me up inside with an elastic band. That is about right. Sharp stinging sensation for each sample take. Some blood in urine afterwards. Able to drive home afterwards, no need for cushions or rubber rings.

Anaesthetic worked well for me and the antibiotics.

It will be over before you know it, and hopefully problem free for you as well.

atb

dave

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 01:05
Biops not so bad as long as you get the all clear

Somebody tell me how to use this site and talk to people. Please

Edited by member 02 Mar 2015 at 01:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Mar 2015 at 19:02

Found the Biopsy very uncomfortable .12 sharp clicks.With plenty of bleeding later .Proberly not used to my back passage being molested ???
All 12 proved positive with cancer PSA level of 14.Glesson 7 ..not good ?
Had 2 scans .this showed it had spread to my bones ..not good ?
They ruled out An operation and rad and cemo....o no ?
Put me on the 3mth injections...Bloody marvellous..?
PSA level down to below 3 .Great ?
Apart from losing my Manhood I feel fine ?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2015 at 11:00

7 days to go before my biopsy. Will post here once done :-)

User
Posted 17 Apr 2015 at 12:01
Maxdad,

The result does seem to put you in the incurable camp as I am. So I had no opportunity for surgery or radiotherapy either. You will be offered chemo drugs later. For now you are on a similar regime to me. It must be very worrying and there are no guarantees re time. But I hope it helps to say I am still here over three years later still on hormone therapy and not yet reached the chemo drugs. So hopefully you will get the same period. There should be loads of time to continue your life. It's not an easy journey but there are a number of us here who can support you in this journey. Keep in touch and good luck.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 19:07

Thanks for all your comments guys (and the occasional lady). I had the biopsy done in the end under sedation as there were prior problems with the local anaesthetic used. Can't say that I found it to be an unpleasant experience per se - the last sample taken must have hit me in wrong place, though as it was probably more noticable than the rest. Main problem was peeing blood, which was a bit disconcerting at the start. Cleared up after a couple of weeks however and was soon back to normal. PSA rose considerably after biopsy, but returned back to lower level - told this was normal.