I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

red wine and prostate cancer

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 19:37

hi,i was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer,what i would like to know will it be okay for me to drink red wine at christmas,i have recently finished radiotherapy,and i am on zoladex for the next 2yrs if i reach that far,any help appreciated.cheers.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 20:02

A freshly toasted slice of Pain De Compange, Tesco do it, or any French flour loaf, with hot butter and a generous helping of Double Gloucester, or a fruit rich Raspberry jam, bliss.

Red wine - Lidl and Aldi currently offer a very fine Bordeaux Superiuer, Lidl £3.99, Aldi offer it at £4.99. Now until recently, thanks to my X, I was able to partake of a local Majorcan red for 1.50 euros a bottle. Wow, REALLY WOW. An amazing wine which was all too easy to drink and drink and drink. And no headaches the dat after. A good sign of a good wine.

A truly amazing wine, which will never be tasted again. Hey ho, life moves on. :-)

And, and, and I enjoy real ale, most nights. Sometimes to excess, sometimes not to excess. The way I view my prognosis, I have been diagnosed with, and I have got Cancer. It is in me, it will never leave me, it will kill me before I expected to die. Skcollob. Ckuf it. Dos the cancer. I am going to enjoy my life, what remains of it. I am going to enjoy fine wine (albeit cheap). I am going to enjoy and indulge in good beer, maybe too much good beer sometimes! I will munch and yum yum my way through tasty cheeses. I will scoff good and maybe not so good foods. WTH. And make the most of every second of every minute of every hour or each day that I have left.

I am going to enjoy as much as I can, while I can. And I am going to have as much great, but okay, maybe different, sex as I can. Singly or interactively. If singly, do it every day, twice a day if you can, and if you can do it twice a day go for a third! I can not do 4, it kills me trying but what a lovely way to get knackered. My clock is ticking, and I do not know when it will stop, so I will just enjoy and live to the fullest. To those fighting or dealing with cancer, choose how you live, choose the max.

Don't let cancer define who or what you are, defy it. Si, I nicked a bit of your strapline.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 23:11

I drink it by the bucketful and despite metastatic disease and still here 7 years on http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 21:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I gather tonight is a real ale in excess night Dave....lol...good on ya mate, hey and you never know you might be cured too

Bri

Good evening Brian,  I hope you are well tonight?  I have been watching your threads and progress, stop worrying and keep going mate.

Actually today has been a day of lager, go figure!  After the last 18 months I have endured and the personal tihs I have been through, a beer is the least I am owed.  Having gone through, a year of pretence and show and pretend and fraud frankly, I can stop pretending and fess up to deal with the parc I have been dealing with for the last 19 months.  

I overcame my demons some time ago, faced up to the fact that I am living by a 3 month diary and not a 5 year one, so have to make the best of the wrong end of a tihs stick. 

Had a wonderful meeting with my sons recently.  Live is indeed for living as someone here says.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 21:25

And hey, were are none of us cured.

We are all on borrowed time.

It is up to us, our choice, what we do, what we make of that time.

Make the MOST and the BEST of it. Wring every moment out of every second. Milk it. Thoroughly.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:33

Gosh Arthur - my husband, dad and father-in-law all survived on red wine - it is supposed to be good for your prostate (in moderation, of course)

Having said that, I don't know these heart drugs you are on and it is important to ask your chemist to check whether you can have any alcohol with them.

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 13:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 09:33
Arthur

Mick used to love a few glasses of wine but after dx he also went right off it. Once he settled into treatment he did enjoy his white wine again sometimes (usually at Newark get togethers) but never got the taste for red back again. He had been taking ramipril and a similar statin to you for many years (preventative as part of his diabetes management) I am not sure about the blood pressure meds so as Lyn says check with your pharmacist about drinking alcohol of any description with them. The leaflets with the medication often say No No No but that is often due to fear of litigation from the teeny fraction of a prercentile of people that might have a reaction. Your pharmacist should give you a truthful answer about having a glass or two of wine when the mood takes you. Nowadays a GP will usually tell you quite emphatically if alcohol really should not be used. Our pharmacy make sure that is printed on the labels of the medication as well alongside how to take the meds.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 12:33

I'm surprised none of the old timers on here haven't mentioned Old Al and his love of red wine.

He was convinced that a bottle of red wine a day was a crucial addition to his unique "PCa fighting diet" and almost all of his posts would end with a recommendation to indulge in a daily dose of "plonk".

His comments in this post says it all: http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t3291-Red-Wine-in-support-of-Old-Al#post3291

In Old Al's case it could be that his red wine diet did help prolong his life beyond that which could have been expected in someone with with his initial diagnosis!

As for the efficacy of red or any colour wine in the battle against PCa, my view is that if it helps boost your own psychological battle against the condition then that may be very beneficial in the overall fight to improve outcomes and timescales.

Edited by member 13 Apr 2015 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 22:56

Hi sorry you are here, but a great place for support. Plenty of us on here drink red wine....amongst other things. Enjoy yourself as an old friend on here always used to tell us life is for living

Take care
Bri

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 23:11

I drink it by the bucketful and despite metastatic disease and still here 7 years on http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 03 Dec 2014 at 06:06
Hi Radar,

I'm also T3b, had my first PSA blood test in December 2005 which was 7.5. Been drinking wine, also by the bucketful ever since, but I prefer white.

Cheers and enjoy Christmas,

Stu

User
Posted 03 Dec 2014 at 08:41

I hope so Radar. The other half would be devastated otherwise. !!
Enjoy your boozy Christmas
Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Dec 2014 at 09:20

thankyou ,made me feel a bit better now,when i read all these extreme diets ,i cant do that unless you are a chef,it must be a full time job,i just try and eat as healthy as i can .does anyone still feel stiff after radiation,its been 2 months and my bladder is still very sensitive and regards drinking water,i dont drink anything after 1600 hrs but i am still up between 3 to 5 times a night,does it settle down.anyway cheers.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2014 at 09:38

When I saw the title I thought "don't mind if I do, thanks!"

I don't see why alcohol would have any detrimental effect as others have already said.

Some of us are off to London today and will be having an odd sherry at the meet up.
So we can have a practical test of the theory, if we are all standing tomorrow it should be ok.

Welcome to the forum radar by the way.

Kevin

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 22:36

thanks.i will be having a few glasses of red wine tomorrow my sisters birthday,i thought red wine would effect the treatment im on zoladex,and the radiotherapy i finished 2months ago,had my first follow up psa jab 2weeks ago havent heard the results yet is that good or bad,just like to say what other people say on here,its good to know we are not alone,and that a lot of us are in the same boat.cheers.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2014 at 16:57

Radar, at my hospital we have the PSA test results posted next day on my hospital account.  If you want to know your number before the next regular appointment ring your Oncology/Urology nurse and ask her/him.  They are not secret and the records (paper or electronic) are yours to examine any time.

OC in Northants

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 13:36

thanks,received my first psa follow up since my radiotherapy,0.01,from  when i started ht in february which was 0.09,and when first diagnosed my psa was 65,is that good or does it generally go right down,but at the weekend i got a bit drunk on red wine at my sisters birthday hope that has not made a difference.any thoughts on this appreciated.cheers.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 15:38

Your PSA is "undetectable" - looks good. Mine was 5.2 on diagnosis, dropped to 0.3 a month after starting HT. Fell to 0.097 immediately before RT. Fell to 0.024 on completion of RT during May 2014 and has now settled at <0.01. Let's hope we both stay there!
Viv

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 23:50

No idea whether or not it's recommended .... but no surgeon, oncologist etc etc is going to stop me drinking red wine!

dl

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 12:49

Merlot is okay but that Shiraz is a definite no no!

Steve

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 18:26

Live life to the full :) 

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 19:16
I drink wine, eat cheese, dairy products, fat and bacon. This disease will ultimately kill me but it will not dictate what I eat. Life is for enjoying what you want, whether that is the finest red or simply dunking your favourite biscuit into a mug of hot tea. Just do it!
User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 20:02

A freshly toasted slice of Pain De Compange, Tesco do it, or any French flour loaf, with hot butter and a generous helping of Double Gloucester, or a fruit rich Raspberry jam, bliss.

Red wine - Lidl and Aldi currently offer a very fine Bordeaux Superiuer, Lidl £3.99, Aldi offer it at £4.99. Now until recently, thanks to my X, I was able to partake of a local Majorcan red for 1.50 euros a bottle. Wow, REALLY WOW. An amazing wine which was all too easy to drink and drink and drink. And no headaches the dat after. A good sign of a good wine.

A truly amazing wine, which will never be tasted again. Hey ho, life moves on. :-)

And, and, and I enjoy real ale, most nights. Sometimes to excess, sometimes not to excess. The way I view my prognosis, I have been diagnosed with, and I have got Cancer. It is in me, it will never leave me, it will kill me before I expected to die. Skcollob. Ckuf it. Dos the cancer. I am going to enjoy my life, what remains of it. I am going to enjoy fine wine (albeit cheap). I am going to enjoy and indulge in good beer, maybe too much good beer sometimes! I will munch and yum yum my way through tasty cheeses. I will scoff good and maybe not so good foods. WTH. And make the most of every second of every minute of every hour or each day that I have left.

I am going to enjoy as much as I can, while I can. And I am going to have as much great, but okay, maybe different, sex as I can. Singly or interactively. If singly, do it every day, twice a day if you can, and if you can do it twice a day go for a third! I can not do 4, it kills me trying but what a lovely way to get knackered. My clock is ticking, and I do not know when it will stop, so I will just enjoy and live to the fullest. To those fighting or dealing with cancer, choose how you live, choose the max.

Don't let cancer define who or what you are, defy it. Si, I nicked a bit of your strapline.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 20:59

I gather tonight is a real ale in excess night Dave....lol...good on ya mate, hey and you never know you might be cured too

Bri

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 21:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Bri

Good evening Brian,  I hope you are well tonight?  I have been watching your threads and progress, stop worrying and keep going mate.

Actually today has been a day of lager, go figure!  After the last 18 months I have endured and the personal tihs I have been through, a beer is the least I am owed.  Having gone through, a year of pretence and show and pretend and fraud frankly, I can stop pretending and fess up to deal with the parc I have been dealing with for the last 19 months.  

I overcame my demons some time ago, faced up to the fact that I am living by a 3 month diary and not a 5 year one, so have to make the best of the wrong end of a tihs stick. 

Had a wonderful meeting with my sons recently.  Live is indeed for living as someone here says.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 21:25

And hey, were are none of us cured.

We are all on borrowed time.

It is up to us, our choice, what we do, what we make of that time.

Make the MOST and the BEST of it. Wring every moment out of every second. Milk it. Thoroughly.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 19:45

hi,i read a lot about the jane plant diet,and about how people lose weight,but what about us small guys who want to put weight on,because zoladex wiped out my muscle tissue and what with bone loss,my i have got thinner allover,except a bit on my stomach,i do weight training 3x week but it is just a waste of time except to try and keep my bones strong us small guys look s*** on zoladex,more research should go into muscle and bone loss,people say eat more but it goes straight to your stomach,and people talk about carb restriction i cant do that or i will dissappear alltogether.any thoughts please.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 05:41
Hi everyone, sorry I have not posted for a bit. I don't do weights but as my nickname implies I run. I run lots and then I run some more. Then I drink, and see my family and watch football and drink more with mates. I am not small but am on zoladex and I had given up what I looked like long before PC so don't worry about that. I am only 49 and T4M1N1a I have not got forever so I do as the doc says, everything in moderation (except running!) as forget PC that is a way to make your body as strong as it can be without giving up any of your favourites . On the red wine subject is there a recommended variety ? Chemo starts 13th jan and in my naievity I still intend running through it, I am extremely strong willed having puked up many times in marathons and kept going but who knows as a chemo virgin I may just spend the next 18 weeks in bed! Sorry for the rambling post, have a great balanced day everyone (apart from running!!) kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 20:12

Old Codger,

Interested in what you said about 'My hospital account'. What is that and do we all now have one after being diagnosed??

Tamtoot

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 23:37
Hi Tamfoot

I think Old Codger is referring to his hospital records which one can access online at anytime, but not all hospitals are as forward thinking, I am being treated at the QE in Birmingham and can access my records, and get to know my PSA etc, the day after my bloods are taken, I find it very useful as I don't have to chase my results and can follow my progress prior to my consultation, therefore having questions ready beforehand.

Roy

User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 22:30

Many thanks Roy. I shall make enquiries.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 09:02
I'm a bit late posting here but your advice would help. I used to enjoy a glass of red wine but after I was diagnosed I had a glass on the New Years Eve and it tasted horrible and I poured it down the sink. I'm thinking of having a glass (or two) again but will it clash with any treatment/medication I'm having? I'm having Prostap injections every 3 months, take Ramipril in the morning, Atorvastatin and Amlodipine in the evenings.

Thanks, Arthur

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:33

Gosh Arthur - my husband, dad and father-in-law all survived on red wine - it is supposed to be good for your prostate (in moderation, of course)

Having said that, I don't know these heart drugs you are on and it is important to ask your chemist to check whether you can have any alcohol with them.

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 13:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 09:33
Arthur

Mick used to love a few glasses of wine but after dx he also went right off it. Once he settled into treatment he did enjoy his white wine again sometimes (usually at Newark get togethers) but never got the taste for red back again. He had been taking ramipril and a similar statin to you for many years (preventative as part of his diabetes management) I am not sure about the blood pressure meds so as Lyn says check with your pharmacist about drinking alcohol of any description with them. The leaflets with the medication often say No No No but that is often due to fear of litigation from the teeny fraction of a prercentile of people that might have a reaction. Your pharmacist should give you a truthful answer about having a glass or two of wine when the mood takes you. Nowadays a GP will usually tell you quite emphatically if alcohol really should not be used. Our pharmacy make sure that is printed on the labels of the medication as well alongside how to take the meds.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 12:33

I'm surprised none of the old timers on here haven't mentioned Old Al and his love of red wine.

He was convinced that a bottle of red wine a day was a crucial addition to his unique "PCa fighting diet" and almost all of his posts would end with a recommendation to indulge in a daily dose of "plonk".

His comments in this post says it all: http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t3291-Red-Wine-in-support-of-Old-Al#post3291

In Old Al's case it could be that his red wine diet did help prolong his life beyond that which could have been expected in someone with with his initial diagnosis!

As for the efficacy of red or any colour wine in the battle against PCa, my view is that if it helps boost your own psychological battle against the condition then that may be very beneficial in the overall fight to improve outcomes and timescales.

Edited by member 13 Apr 2015 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified

Roger