I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence pads and comfort

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 17:18

I had a radical prostatectomy in July 2010. Thankfully the outcome has been positive. I do however still have some stress incontinence.

Mostly this is modest but I am active in sport and a member of a triathlon club and  some activities such as running, cycling and long walks increase my leakage. I do have my pads supplied through the NHS continence service but these have never been comfortable or suitable to prevent my sideways leaking as your " bits" move about when doing exercise and the pads are too narrow to stay in place.

My NHS continence service has recently changed the contract from Molimed to Tena and they only contract for a small range. Tena do a pad called Tena 2 FOR MEN. and I do buy these when on offer in supermarkets. They are really comfortable and have a triangular shape for men's anatomy and easily allow for any sideways movement of your penis when active. I asked why my service cannot supply these but they say they only contract for unisex pads. I would prefer not to buy the pads as this becomes quite costly but have not found a way to resolve this problem.  Has anyone else had similar experience and/or better outcome?  Has anyone managed to get Tena 2 pads on the NHS?

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 23:05

Luther, even in areas where pads are not initially provided on the NHS once you have been incontinent for 6 months you are entitled to pads on prescription. Time to ask again maybe ... ?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 10:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Luther, even in areas where pads are not initially provided on the NHS once you have been incontinent for 6 months you are entitled to pads on prescription. Time to ask again maybe ... ?

Thanks for that  Lyn....

I think I will ask again bearing in mind  the info you've just given me....I'm coming up to 6 months post op about now....

Ironically when I needed help the most ie. using the most pads etc, it was not there for me....

If they issue the same quality /style pads I was given when my catheter was removed I will give it a miss... they were worse than useless... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

Carlos..... Have you tried the Abri- Man Formula 2 pads?

They have 'pockets' on the sides which you can tuck your penis into and maybe prevent the problems you are having...

They work fine for me when I'm out in rough country walking the dogs.... but I don't run marathons, so not sure if they would help you.

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:20

Hi Luther,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the post code lottery is very unhelpful and maybe PCUK could help to put pressure on for equitable treatment.

I will try the Abriman pads whilst continuing to try to get pads which actually fit men from my NHS service. Sounds like you are going in the right direction with number of pads, mine took longer than I thought but now generally can manage with one a day.

Gilo

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:36

Just a quick note on underwear....

It may sound rather strange, but I've taken to wearing 'Speedo' type swimming trunks when out and about as opposed to brief type pants........ I find these keep the pad much tighter to my penis and prevent accidents with 'things' slipping out etc..

Best Wishes 
Luther

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 20:57

Gilo

I was issued with 240 Tenna 2 pads a few days before my op in April 2014, so they are available on the NHS. Not sure whether use of the service is based on location but here is a link to the clinic I am under.

http://www.nottinghamcitycare.nhs.uk/find-a-service/searchable-list-of-services/continence-advisory-service/

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 21:24

Hi Gilo,

I think it must be a 'post code lottery' as to what you can and can't get in terms of NHS aftercare assistance.

I had my surgery in June this year and was given 1 pack of 28 unisex pads on removal of my catheter...

Despite  enquiries to my clinical nurse and GP no more pads were forthcoming..

Having to use 7 or more pads a day for quite a few months 28 pads did not last long!.... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

I order my pads on line ( VAT exempt ) and buy enough to last for a month at a time...

I use Abri- Man Formula 2 and find these are better for me than Tena........they are also a lot cheaper..

My daily pad usage has dropped to around 3 a day recently so I'm hoping things will continue  improve ...

Hope you have better success than me in getting suitable pads on the NHS

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 23:05

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 01:45
Hi Gilo.

I'm a marathon runner. Had the RP in August and still incontinent to a point.

I can get the Tena pads on NHS prescription but as you say, the shape is all wrong. Fine if the penis guaranteed pointing straight down all the time but I've never had that luxury. I tend to dress to one side so in normal use, I can angle the pad that way.

I've cracked it running by wearing the pad sideways. I get through 2 on a full marathon with no leaks. I kind of rest the penis in like the pads a hammock. Works well.

Haven't dared sit on a bike seat yet as I've been told to give it a few months to prevent further urethra damage. I've already had a collapse & retention issues.

Give it a go. It allows full sideways movement & swing as required. 👍

Edited by member 09 Dec 2014 at 01:52  | Reason: Not specified

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 10:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks for that  Lyn....

I think I will ask again bearing in mind  the info you've just given me....I'm coming up to 6 months post op about now....

Ironically when I needed help the most ie. using the most pads etc, it was not there for me....

If they issue the same quality /style pads I was given when my catheter was removed I will give it a miss... they were worse than useless... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

Carlos..... Have you tried the Abri- Man Formula 2 pads?

They have 'pockets' on the sides which you can tuck your penis into and maybe prevent the problems you are having...

They work fine for me when I'm out in rough country walking the dogs.... but I don't run marathons, so not sure if they would help you.

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:02

Thanks Carlos, that sounds very practical I will give it a try and will also see if I can progress the issue of the NHS supplying pads that are designed for men.

Enjoy your running.

Gilo

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:07

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for this, it may help me to put a bit of pressure onto my continence service provider.It does seem to be a bit of a post code lottery and is an issue that perhaps PCUK could have an impact on.

Gilo

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:20

Hi Luther,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the post code lottery is very unhelpful and maybe PCUK could help to put pressure on for equitable treatment.

I will try the Abriman pads whilst continuing to try to get pads which actually fit men from my NHS service. Sounds like you are going in the right direction with number of pads, mine took longer than I thought but now generally can manage with one a day.

Gilo

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:27

Hi Gilo,

Different NHS areas seemingly contract with different pad suppliers.  Where I am, we get Tena.  Initially I was given Tena level 2s but now just Tena level 1s which are thinner.  (Tena also do a level 3 which is thicker than the level 2).

I had my op mid September and I'm almost dry, but find certain movements cause me to spurt.  It's things like thowing the ball for the dog in certain ways, and I've also noticed moving a laden supermarket trolley in certain ways causes it too.  It seems to be movements that involves me rotating my trunk.  Just this last week with the colder weather I've found it a bit harder too.

To date I've found the pads O.K., though it does matter what type of pants you wear with them.  If I wear fairly conventional pants (not boxers) I can get the end of my penis to sit more or less in the middle of the triangle.  Once or twice I've accidentally turned down the top edge of the pad as I've re-dressed, which could have been a problem if I hadn't noticed.

Edited by member 09 Dec 2014 at 11:28  | Reason: Not specified

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 11:36

Just a quick note on underwear....

It may sound rather strange, but I've taken to wearing 'Speedo' type swimming trunks when out and about as opposed to brief type pants........ I find these keep the pad much tighter to my penis and prevent accidents with 'things' slipping out etc..

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 12:08

One other thought.  You can order these things online, e.g. from Tena, or indeed from Amazon.

So, if the NHS is giving you say level 1s or 2s and you wanted some level 3s for days when you are particuarly active (marathons, horse-riding or whatever), you could order a pack of the 3s to supplement your usual stock.

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 18:23

Been incontinent now about three years,

I buy children's  nappies  about 50 in a pack for about a fiver, I use   about 10 a day dependant on the amount of coffee I drink,

state nappies are useless

Underpants are very important I use Pringles I found they are the best

Edited by member 10 Dec 2014 at 18:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 22:11

Hi Barry

Thanks for this, I am still hoping I can get what I want from the NHS.

Gilo

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 11:58

Getting nappies from the NHS seems to be a lottery, I didnt get anything for the first month post op, but at a hospital appointment with a continence nurse she put me on the nappy suppy list,

I get mine delivered at home every 3 months ( Euron flexi ) from ( NHS home delivery service) had enquired about getting the tener triangle shape type, as I didnt really need a nappy type, but proved too complicated too change the order i.e. you have have to get approval from god knows who and where,

so I just accept what I'm given, the nappies are really good, the best I've tried, so I guess I'm lucky, I'm told that the NHS will only allow you 4 pads a day, I'm well within that range now.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 14:06

Have look at the NHS Choices information at the link below about incontinence products – last reviewed 28.8.14

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/can-i-get-incontinence-products-on-the-nhs.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=154

Alan

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 10:06

Thanks for this  ART will follow up with PALS organisation if I can't get a satisfactory product.

Gilo