I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Latest PSA results

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 21:02
Just to report my 2 year PSA results received today - "virtually undetectable". I should have received the results last Monday but there was a mix up at the hospital and I had to have a 2nd blood test!

I have to admit I have been on edge for a while but now feel quite relieved (until next time!). Despite ongoing side effects it is good to be still alive.

I felt it best to post results in the hope that it gives hope to others travelling a similar path, but I am very conscious of others whose PCa is more aggressive.

Sending best wishes to all.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 04:00

Good news is always a lift no matter what one's personal position is. It's a great result and Christmas festivities will be enjoyed all the more!

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 07:39
Great news!

You can relax and enjoy a fantastic Christmas.

Enjoy every moment.

Steve

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 11:36

Excellent news!

I'm hoping I will have similar PSA results after 2 years...

Enjoy the Festive Season

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 13:49

Good news!   That's a weight off your mind just in time for Christmas.  All the best Arthur

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 16:18
Always good to hear good news!

I'm 18 months post RP and have just recieved my latest results....0.002 and 0.003 - I've never had two results before. 0.003 would be an increase on my previous result so the anxiety has kicked in. The nurse said there is nothing to worry about and suggested another test in 6 weeks but I need to resolve the uncertainlty so will trundle over to Addenbrooks again tomorrow.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 20:12

Pleased for you, Rivertweed.

Best wishes,

Jacey

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 20:20

Great news Rivertweed what everybody wishes for.

Your journey if i remember mirrors mine, just over 2years now my PSA <0.02 taken about a month ago.

I see the dreaded ED is still with us both but things will improve after 2 years (so they say????)

Life's still good hope your the same.

Have a good Xmas.

fenman

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 02:10

Excellent news RT - have a good weekend

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 04:00

Good news is always a lift no matter what one's personal position is. It's a great result and Christmas festivities will be enjoyed all the more!

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 07:39
Great news!

You can relax and enjoy a fantastic Christmas.

Enjoy every moment.

Steve

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 11:36

Excellent news!

I'm hoping I will have similar PSA results after 2 years...

Enjoy the Festive Season

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 13:49

Good news!   That's a weight off your mind just in time for Christmas.  All the best Arthur

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 16:18

I'm 18 months post RP and have just recieved my latest results....0.002 and 0.003 - I've never had two results before. 0.003 would be an increase on my previous result so the anxiety has kicked in. The nurse said there is nothing to worry about and suggested another test in 6 weeks but I need to resolve the uncertainlty so will trundle over to Addenbrooks again tomorrow.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 16:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Andrew.... I'm by no means an expert, but I've only ever had my results given to 2 decimal places ie  < 0.01

I would suggest that results of 0.002 and 0.003 are excellent and nothing to worry about....

Enjoy your Christmas

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 16:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I used to be given my PSA result to 3 decimal places, but this changed to 2 recently. I was told that they had concluded that the third decimal place is not significant. The hospital where my oncol is based give results to 1 place of decimals only for the same reason.

Your figure is in the undetectable range - long may that continue!

Viv

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 20:11
Quote:

Interesting and reassuring (for me, anyway) comments about post treatment PSA results:

PSA Anxiety:

The Downside of Ultra- Sensitive Tests

You've had the radical prostatectomy, but deep down, you're terrified that it didn't work. So here you are, a grown man, living in fear of a simple blood test, scared to death that the PSA- an enzyme made only by prostate cells, but all of your prostate cells are supposed to be gone -- will come back. Six months ago, the number was 0.01. This time, it was 0.02.

You have PSA anxiety. You are not alone.

This is the bane of the hypersensitive PSA test: Sometimes, there is such a thing as too much information. Daniel W Chan, Ph.D., is professor of pathology, oncology, urology and radiology, and Director of Clinical Chemistry at Hopkins. He is also an internationally recognized authority on biochemical tumor markers such as PSA, and on immunoassay tests such as the PSA test. This is some of what he has to say on the subject of PSA anxiety:

The only thing that really matters, he says, is: ''At what PSA levels does the concentration indicate that the patient has had a recurrence of cancer?'' For Chan, and the scientists and physicians at Hopkins, the number to take seriously is 0.2 nanograms/milliliter. ''That's something we call biochemical recurrence. But even this doesn't mean that a man has symptoms yet. People need to understand that it might take months or even years before there is any clinical physical evidence.''

On a technical level, in the laboratory, Chan trusts the sensitivity of assays down to 0. 1, or slightly less than that. ''You cannot reliably detect such a small amount as 0.01,'' he explains. ''From day to day, the results could vary -- it could be 0.03, or maybe even 0.05'' -- and these ''analytical'' variations may not mean a thing. ''It's important that we don't assume anything or take action on a very low level of PSA. In routine practice, because of these analytical variations from day to day, if it's less than 0. 1, we assume it's the same as nondetectable, or zero.''
FURTHER READING

Pound, CP; Partin, AW; Einsenberger, MA; Chan, DW; Pearson, JD; and Walsh,PC. ''New Method to Assess Risk of Advanced Cancer After Prostate Removal,'' Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol.281, pp.1591-1597.

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 20:12

Pleased for you, Rivertweed.

Best wishes,

Jacey

User
Posted 11 Dec 2014 at 20:20

Great news Rivertweed what everybody wishes for.

Your journey if i remember mirrors mine, just over 2years now my PSA <0.02 taken about a month ago.

I see the dreaded ED is still with us both but things will improve after 2 years (so they say????)

Life's still good hope your the same.

Have a good Xmas.

fenman

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 02:10

Excellent news RT - have a good weekend

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 10:01

Hi Jacey,

I do rather agree, but there is a kind of psychological satisfaction is getting as low a score as possible when faced with such a fearful illness.

I guess it's a kind of smugness that you are, at minimum, giving the dreaded PCa some kind of run for its money / putting up a fight against it.  (Yes, I know logically that's nonsense, but it perhaps kind of feels like that).

A couple of weeks ago I got a PSA result of 0.03 (that's how it was told to me) and then yesterday (3 months post RP) I got one of <0.03. In fact, locally, that's as low as you get anyhow.  They don't do 0.02s or 0.01s around here!  Just "less than 0.03"s, apparently.  Also, it's not as if anyone is going to do anything very much unless it's several times more than that anyhow.

Kind Regards

Patrick

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 17:10
Thanks for this Jacey......it's a very reassuring article. If I could only get my mind to focus on the facts and ignore the demonds I would find things much easier to deal with. I had another PSA test today so this time next week I should know if I need to be concerned or not.

Andrew

User
Posted 12 Dec 2014 at 20:34

Oh for goodness sake! Andrew, your PSA is 10 times smaller than my husband's and his is undetectable - celebrate for you are a very fortunate man!

Edited by member 12 Dec 2014 at 20:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Dec 2014 at 17:50

Thanks all, for this discussion, especially Jacey for the technical bits. Just had my first post-op PSA, (RP in September) and like most, was a bit anxious. Came away from my GP`s surgery with a bounce in my step, having been told my result was a "good" 0.1. It came as a surprise to see discussion of 0.001-0.003 etc and I wondered briefly whether my optimism had been misplaced. It appears tests vary in sensitivity and if 0.1 really is generally considered "undetectable" (as I have also read elsewhere), then I think the sensible plan (for me) will be to just get on with life, including the pelvic floor exercises, When you get to 70, as I will next birthday, time becomes a precious commodity. My early New Year`s resolution is not to waste it!