I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA decline rate

User
Posted 13 Dec 2014 at 18:01
We talk about the PSA doubling time when we see an increase in PSA for obvious reasons and the slower it rises the better.

But what about the rate it goes down at. Those who don't know I've had a RP but due to a rise in PSA from 0.06 to 0.087 in 5 months I had follow up RT. 6 months after the aRT and my PSA was 0.048. A year after the RT and my PSA is 0.037. So going in the right direction.

But why so slowly? I have yet to read a profile where someone has such a slow decline in PSA following two radical treatments. I read the stories of other men who's PSA rapidly drops following the follow up RT.

I think I may be being naive

Bri

User
Posted 13 Dec 2014 at 19:16

I don't think it is expected that PSA will continue to decline post treatment Bri, it falls for a short while then finds its level and stays there. Hence John hovering around 0.02 - 0.04 for the last 18 months.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 07:01

Hi Bri
Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you - RP in July and PSA falling but not enough. I'm still at 0.075 and am due to start RT. How many RT sessions did you have to have?
Best wishes
Guy

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 09:07

Guy,
5 times a week for 4 - 6 weeks seems to be normal, depends on the medics.

Chris.

Edited by member 14 Dec 2014 at 09:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 11:08

PSA falls very quickly after RP because the bulk, if not the entire cancer has been removed. However RT operates in a different way. Some of the cancerous cells are killed off very soon but many remain albeit with damaged DNA. They die in due course as they divide. This process can take a long time and the RT can carry on working for around 2 years. It is not unusual for PSA to continue falling over this time with a Nadir being reached near the end.

Edited by member 14 Dec 2014 at 22:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 11:21

I had 20 sessions guy

Bri

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 12:44
Hi Bri

I am sure I have read somewhere that the longer you takes to reach your Nadir, the more durable the remission, so it not about who gets there first, also have you experienced the PSA Bounce yet?

Also don't forget some people are on hormones.

Roy

Edited by member 14 Dec 2014 at 12:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 16:42

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hope you get sorted Guy.

I still like your Mr P's thinking Lyn :)

Thanks Barry as always words of reassurance

Roy I like your reply...just wish I could find something similar to read. I know it's not a race it's just whenever I read the posts of others and can't help thinking how come my PSA didn't drop like that. How are you doing anyway?

Bri

User
Posted 14 Dec 2014 at 19:15
Hi Bri

Can't remember if this was the article, but it has reference to time taken to reach Nadir.

http://www.psa-rising.com/med/ebr/nadir_survivalpostrad06.htm

"the study showed that the longer time that the PSA continues to decline after radiation, the less likely the cancer will recur or spread."

I am ok at the moment, thanks for asking, like anyone who has PCA every ache and pain makes us paranoid, but according to my doctor earlier this year, I shouldn't be here now, so that's proved them wrong, I will be 60 in 9 days time, so still 30 to go ha ha, I will be having my next bloods in January so, fingers crossed for a drop to your level.

Merry Xmas and a Cure in the New Year

Roy

User
Posted 15 Dec 2014 at 11:39

Thanks Roy. ..that study does seem focused on RT as the primary treatment ie with prostate in situ..but very encouraging nontheless....fingers crossed I have a further drop in March...fingers crossed you have a drop in Jan

Cheered me up a bit that

Thanks mate

Bri