I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Crass and Dismissive

User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 12:04

I've just read that a "leading doctor and former editor of the British Medical Journal" has claimed cancer is the best way to die.
{{Richard Smith believes the opportunity to reflect on life before it ends is important and urges charities and the medical world to "stop wasting billions trying to cure cancer".
He claims most people tell him they would prefer a sudden death, he thinks that is very hard on the families of the deceased.
Compared to dementia or organ failure, it is a better way to die.
"You can say goodbye, reflect on your life, leave last messages, perhaps visit special places for a last time, listen to favourite pieces of music, read loved poems, and prepare, according to your beliefs, to meet your maker or enjoy eternal oblivion".
"This is, I recognise, a romantic view of dying, but it is achievable with love, morphine, and whisky."
He continued: "But stay away from overambitious oncologists. And let's stop wasting billions trying to cure cancer, potentially leaving us to die a much more horrible death."
His comments were criticised by the charity Cancer Research.
Professor Peter Johnson, Cancer Research UK's chief clinician, said: "Of course we are all going to die, but cancer takes far too many people far too young".}}

Having just come out of Weston Park Hospital in Sheffield, following a harrowing week of throwing up, excruciating pain, injections, sleepless nights (but zonked out on pain killers); I think I have enough authority and right to condemn this inane and insensitive rubbish, and invite Richard Smith to keep his gob firmly shut.

I will moderate my input from this point as I don't want this thread to be binned.  But I am so angry; reading this has made me physically sick.

Since my Abiraterone has failed to 'save' me, I'm in no doubt that my Oncologist meeting next week will be rather negative.

I retired in September at 62 yrs, but have to manage on a low income from the mediocre investments and benefits I can claim.

But, my time is spent, not on doing all the nice things he advocates, but in trying to keep the house clean, and preparing meals while my wife goes to work.  We can't afford for her to stop work and spend quality time with me, because she is a Nurse, and not a "leading doctor".

I am trying to fight my sickness, pain and general debility to keep the home reasonably clean; to get paperwork sorted; to ensure continuation of insurances, car tax, servicing, utilities etc. And prepare my wife as much as possible for life alone......... (How about that Richard? That's well worth the Love, Morphine and Whiskey).

Clearing snow off the path so she can get out (That put me in bed for 1/2 a day, but there was nobody else to do it). 

To make sure my wife doesn't fall victim to those 'low lifes' who target such individuals. To try and find someone who will hold her arm when walking on wet, slippery or rough surfaces, helping her to negotiate steps, stairs, escalators. (There won't be anybody though, will there?) No she'll have to manage alone...........and fall on occasions.  And I won't be there to help.

Hey Richard; maybe you could pontificate on how to overcome these issues?

LOVE, MORPHINE and WHISKEY?

Wow, if only I'd had the opportunity to train to be a "leading doctor", I would have needed only to prescribe the above in order to sleep easy in my bed.

I love my wife, and my sons and families with my whole heart, and believe me, it is breaking right now as I come to terms with my realisation that time is not really on my side.

If I went in a catastrophic incident, at least the playing field would be level, and everyone would just need to adjust.  But that's not happened.

LOVE - I have all I need from my darling wife, my boys, their wives and the grandkids.

MORPHINE - makes me sicker that this guys diatribe.

WHISKEY - and generic painkillers dull some of the pains.

Richard - Please don't tell me that dying of cancer is the best way to go.

THERE ISN'T A BEST WAY TO GO

Maybe best to just Butt Out?

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 20:48

It seems to me, that in a scholarly article, one shouldn't have to presume anything. Childhood and younger people's cancers were not spared in his screed.

As others have mentioned, his perspective is callous and insensitive at best. At worst, he is an unfeeling sociopath. As Otto de Froste pointed out so eloquently, we don't all have the luxury of saying goodbye, reflecting on our lives, leaving last messages, perhaps visiting special places for a last time, listening to favourite pieces of music, reading loved poems, and preparing, according to our beliefs, to meet our maker or enjoy eternal oblivion.

Many of us have to soldier on, cleaning the house, taking out the trash, possibly continue to earn some money to make the lives of the ones we love easier. I suppose his view of a "good" way to die includes lots of money. Can't argue that point. It's a good way to live, as well, just not one to which we all have access.

Regards,

Lawrence

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Oscar Wilde

User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 22:49

A crass and insensitive report by Richard Smith. I don't think many will agree with him.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 22:52
My guess is that HE doesn't have Cancer, and I hope that he or anyone he loves never does.

Roy

User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 23:29

You read some ridiculous things. This is above and beyond the David Icke level of stupidity.

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 10:01

Richard Smith has been taken apart pretty comprehensively in the responses to his BMJ blog. See

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2014/12/31/richard-smith-dying-of-cancer-is-the-best-death/

He is yet another example of a highly-educated, arrogant person who does not have the slightest understanding of the feelings of others. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to have to start the New Year with a rant.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 12:28

To be fair to him, he did say in the original piece that looking for treatments for geriatric cancers was a waste of money although most of the newspapers left out that detail. Presumably, he feels differently about childhood and younger people's cancers.

Having lost too many of my loved ones in tragic or shocking circumstances there is one aspect of his blog with which I wholeheartedly agree - "live every day as your last, making sure that all important relationships are in good shape, your affairs are in order, "

Edited by member 03 Jan 2015 at 12:41  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 22:30

And, for that matter:-

How come I can't get Whiskey on prescription?

User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 22:49

A crass and insensitive report by Richard Smith. I don't think many will agree with him.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 22:52
My guess is that HE doesn't have Cancer, and I hope that he or anyone he loves never does.

Roy

User
Posted 02 Jan 2015 at 23:29

You read some ridiculous things. This is above and beyond the David Icke level of stupidity.

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 10:01

Richard Smith has been taken apart pretty comprehensively in the responses to his BMJ blog. See

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2014/12/31/richard-smith-dying-of-cancer-is-the-best-death/

He is yet another example of a highly-educated, arrogant person who does not have the slightest understanding of the feelings of others. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to have to start the New Year with a rant.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 12:28

To be fair to him, he did say in the original piece that looking for treatments for geriatric cancers was a waste of money although most of the newspapers left out that detail. Presumably, he feels differently about childhood and younger people's cancers.

Having lost too many of my loved ones in tragic or shocking circumstances there is one aspect of his blog with which I wholeheartedly agree - "live every day as your last, making sure that all important relationships are in good shape, your affairs are in order, "

Edited by member 03 Jan 2015 at 12:41  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2015 at 20:48

It seems to me, that in a scholarly article, one shouldn't have to presume anything. Childhood and younger people's cancers were not spared in his screed.

As others have mentioned, his perspective is callous and insensitive at best. At worst, he is an unfeeling sociopath. As Otto de Froste pointed out so eloquently, we don't all have the luxury of saying goodbye, reflecting on our lives, leaving last messages, perhaps visiting special places for a last time, listening to favourite pieces of music, reading loved poems, and preparing, according to our beliefs, to meet our maker or enjoy eternal oblivion.

Many of us have to soldier on, cleaning the house, taking out the trash, possibly continue to earn some money to make the lives of the ones we love easier. I suppose his view of a "good" way to die includes lots of money. Can't argue that point. It's a good way to live, as well, just not one to which we all have access.

Regards,

Lawrence

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Oscar Wilde