Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Newark get together

User
Posted 04 Jan 2015 at 06:10
Hi , I have to say it feels weird posting in this section so I hope this message reaches everyone. After a failed attempt to get together before Christmas I am trying to organise something possibly 7th February. I had thought of the following weekend but that is valentines so I will be busy fighting off all my suitors (ha ha joking!!)

The Moorings pub in Newark is a really easy venue to get to with the mainline railway station nearby at Newark Northgate lifts can be arranged to and from to meet trains coming in. It is on the main east coast line Kings Cross to Edinburgh with stops at various major towns and Cities on the way.

The pub itself has a wide selection of draught beers and also a varied wine menu so that is a good starting point. It also has very comfortable seating (Dave aka Country Boy 55 can vouch for this) there is a small car park and additional parking close by. The pub food is usually pretty good too.

There are a few budget hotels in town including a Premier Inn and a Best Western which both have room deals especially at weekends.

Anyway if you are interested please message me so that I can get Si to talk with the pub regarding numbers and any deal they might offer us (we got a group discount once before)

No formalities at this just a chance to get together socially.

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 09:21

A lovely day and really nice to meet up with others off the forum.  A good time and some humour despite the circumstances of our coming together. Big thank you to Mo for arranging it all and for getting everyone and everything together so well.

The Ram looked nice but a "kids bar" really. SO Noisy!! LOL. The Moorings Evening session in the evening was good, nice comfy sofas and chairs, apart from Si, who was perched up on high on a stool.

Just wanted to add some comments and my thoughts of the weekend.

Considering what us men have in common, various bits in generally the same area, we all seem to have different responses to treatments and the disease.  What a pizza, how can anyone formulate a plan to effectively deal with something so random and unpredictable?

I would like to think that I gave a good account of myself when drinking with Si on Saturday afternoon, but I would be kidding no one else but myself.  You win again, 2 - 0 so far to you, looking forward to making it the best of 5.  I will be ready for you next year young man.

And I will have more games and my Apple ID password sorted so that the twins can play more effectively on my I - phone.  Or maybe I will have one go them I - phone pads or pills, or capsules or tablets?  Derr, whatever.

The food at the Moorings was excellent even though the lass taking the order had a face like a plank at the gag that was cracked?  For those that missed it, I said "I would like a Bacon and Cheese Burger please".  She replied "we don't have any bacon".  "No problem was my reply, hold the bacon".   Her reply was a quizzical look and a silent but mouthed "Uh". So I had to explain  to her what "Hold the bacon" meant.  And at that a voice from my right pipes up "And he don't want it on slate, he wants it on a plate".  Thank you Mo.  A request in poetry.  ;-)  I did forget to add that.  

The food was good, full marks to the chef.  Hot cheesy burger and a small galvanised pail of chips.  At least they weren't arranged like a Jenga Tower!

So good to meet and chat with among others Mr and Mrs Exbus, now their's is a story of survival, and buses, the two of them having been through the C wars several times over.  Buses?  They met on a bus.  Exbus does look a bit like a young Reg Varney.   Mrs Exbus does NOT look like Olive!

Chris and Dawn, lovely to meet and chat with you both.  Dawn - you are just so lovely, a real star. X  Chris you are a very fortunate man, okay, not so fortunate to get PCa but the journey you are going through will be so much more bearable  and manageable with Dawn at your side.  If you could bottle her attitude and sell it!!!!

Nice to meet up and see a face for TeddyEdward, although we did not get a chance to talk much as I was on the there table.  Hopefully that can be put right later on at the next gig?  

Paul, YorkHull, really good to chat with you, and others later on, especially at "Session - the 2nd" at the Moorings.  I learned from you and Si and I now can begin to understand.  Thank you.

NikonSteve, doesn't do casual snaps.  PMSL.  After we had had a couple of snaps taken, NS stepped in.  OMG!   We were given instructions on where to stand, how to pose, when to lick our lips, when and how to lick someone else lips with or worth out there consent, such an art form, how to pout for the group photograph, well it was nearly tomorrow!  Where did he get all those outfits for our costume changes from?  Nice to meet Steve and have a brief chat with him, consisting mostly of how much airbrushing my face and head would need to make me look moderately normal in any photo.  Such a bit sshh err.  

Is there any where to get a view of the snaps without having to go to "Faecalbook" AKA Facebook?  My X lives on there 24/7 and I loathe it with a hatred borne from exasperation and loathing and hatred, so tend not to frequent the vile site.

If I did not meet someone who was at Newark on Saturday, count yourself lucky.  I will getcha next time!!!!

atb

dave

Edited by member 09 Feb 2015 at 22:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 23:00

OMG!

Room booked.

Overdraft arranged for Si and others to drink me under the table.

Again!

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2015 at 21:08
Sandra we are not expecting lots of people to be honest we usually have just a small group of 8 -10 of us but we did want to see if any more recent members wanted to come along.

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 01:34

I am really sad to be missing this but we have arranged a charity Ball that evening so I suspect I will have my hands full with table plans and raffle prizes and so on .... plus the theme this year is Bollywood so I have to work out how to wrap the sari round in a way that ensures it cannot fall off if my dancing gets too vigorous.

Have a great time everyone xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 22:30

Are we sure this is a real gathering as it's taken less than a page to get it sorted!!! Wonderful organisation Mo. It's in the diary!

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 12:45
Hi folks I am sorry my inbox was full, I am not very good at filing stuff, never have been. Mick was amazingly methodical files for everything, he made me have my own e mail account because I made his untidy!! Anyway I have been in and tidied up so there is now some space for more messages.

Sue if you and Alan fancied coming down and meeting up with us all you are more than welcome as is anyone else who sees this and wants to join us at The Moorings in Newark at 12 onwards Saturday 7th February.

Latest scores on the doors are as follows

confirmed parties:

Edamo ...ME

SiNess ... Si and Ness plus the twins (some of the time)

YorkHull ... Paul

ColwickChris ... Chris and Dawn

Countryboy 55 ...Dave

Exbus ...Chris and Shirley

TeddyEdward ...Andy and SOH

Possibles depending on fitness and well being and in Julie and Trevor's case puppy births permitting

Nikon STeve ...Steve and his wife

Irun...Kev and his wife

TrevorBoothe ...Trevor and Julie

It has been a particularly hard start to 2015 so we all deserve a break and a chance to let our hair down (those that still have some!) I will be seeing Si tomorrow so we can make sure we have things organised with the pub.

Those coming by train to Newark Northgate let us know if you need a lift, those coming into Newark Castle by train it is literally round the corner from the pub so easier to walk than be collected.

I really hope you can all make it

In the meantime I have a joke for you all ...

A man (I am being PC here guys) man goes into a bar and orders 3 pints of Guinness, he goes to a quiet corner and starts to drink a few sips at a time from each pint until he finishes all three, then he goes to the bar and asks the barman for 3 more. The barman says "you know Guinness is always better drunk cold so maybe you should just have one pint at a time" ah no says the man " you see I have two brothers, one has gone to Australia and the other to America so we agreed we would always drink like this to keep in each others minds"

This went on for years every other night in the same pub so all the locals got used to the man with his 3 pints. Until one day he goes in and orders 2 pints of Guinness, as he is looking for his wallet to pay, the barman says "Oh no Pat I am so sorry for your loss, would you like the third pint on me?"

Jeez no says the man "Tiz nothing like that at all tiz just me I have given up drinking"

Dah Dah

xxx

Mandy Mo

Edited by member 21 Jan 2015 at 12:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 17:47
Sue

you and Alan would be very welcome indeed, I think sometimes wives and partners do get hit hard initially in my case I think I felt a tiny bit guilty why Mick and not me although he would have kicked my ass if he heard me say that. Alan is probably still in a little bit of denial he was not expecting this, went for the test because you wanted him to and now he has a whole new barrel of frogs to deal with. The main thing is if it does suddenly hit him you will be there for him forewarned and forearmed. Having said that Alan is such a laid back guy he probaby just thinks oh well I suppose things could be worse.

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 18:07
Dave

Of course I know you will stick to the speed limits but watch for speed cameras on the A46 especially between the A6097 and Newark where the sneaky police man hides behind the chevron with his camera.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 00:20

Let's hope the sneaky policeman is not a member of our forum - he will be looking out for you now!!!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 20:02

Regarding sneaky policemen, a couple of incidents:

Luton Airport approach roads with roadworks currently with a 30mph limit. As I drove up the road from the airport I could see a roadworks sign on a trestle stand. The sign was in 2 pieces, upper and lower with a gap between, BUT the middle bit was filled in with yellow. On getting to the sign there was a chubby cop, he was huge. Pointing a speed gun through the gap between the top sign and the bottom sign at approaching traffic.

On another day I saw a lamp post with a fluorescent bulge near the base. This turned out to be another chubby copper with a speed gun.

God bless donuts and fat cops.

Dave

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 09:45

Oh dear me. Things have really deteriorated since I left the service 10 years ago. I was a cop and in the Traffic Div for some years of my service. We wouldn't have even considered hiding behind a sign to catch speeders. It was deemed unprofessional and, frankly, there were plenty to choose from anyway without going to those lengths. I am very sad to see what is happening to our police service today. In the name of 'austerity' it is being dumbed down, reduced in number and the standard of recruit these days leaves much to be desired too. Sorry for the rant...but it does make me angry.

I hope you all have a great day in Newark on the 7th. and those of you driving to the event get there and back in one piece and with intact driving licenses. We'll see as many of you as possible in July.

Steve & Leonie

Edited by member 31 Jan 2015 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Feb 2015 at 23:28

Dave,

Thank you, I did feel a bit left out because I wasn't able to make it but with the pics on the dreaded FB (none that you posted) and your absolutely brilliant description on who was wearing what and who said what and of course how many Tizer's Si drunk. You seriously didn't think that you could out Tizer him did you.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif I feel like I was there. Brilliant.

I did have a sneaky feeling that NS was going to be a bit bossy with the photo's (you know what these professional photographers are like) .http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

The chips and burgers sound Yummy, didn't any one invite Jane Plant.

I wouldn't want you to think that I go on FB but is that you sitting down holding your phone ?

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 11 Feb 2015 at 14:24

Dave, good post. Great to see so many of you, and yes, we all have our stories to tell, and, picking up on one of Lyn's comments on another thread, I didn't realise that there are 27 different PCa's, and there are thousands of ways we cope, each and every one of us are different, together with differing treatments, which is why these social gatherings bring so much pleasure as we compare notes. Long may they continue.

Bazza, you said about a meet - up nearer you, well why don't you organise one!

Cheers Chris.

PS. I'm guilty of FB, for the Ladies group.

PPS. just up-dated profile, PSA now 0.3 and Testosterone 2.7

Edited by member 11 Feb 2015 at 17:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Feb 2015 at 14:43
Julie my SS

Jane Plant would have had a heart attack ..way too much beer, wine, carbs, protein and dairy .. I did have salad with my food and have been to the gym every day since including a full boxercise class and my normal workout today...honest.

As for FB I was a late starter and tend to be a bit of a voyeur rather than a prolific poster, probably the least likely place to find me at any one given time.

Steve sent a load of photos to me so I will forward some out to you. I pre warn you Dave has mentioned the air brushing to refine them ... in the words of the mighty Yin xxck that I need a 2" paintbrush maybe in a few more months of self denial and excrutiating flagellation by gym I might become a tiny bit more photogenic!

You have seen Paul's (photos) and I think Chris also took some at various points throughout the day.

Dave has done a great recall of the day so next time you better be there with us so you can do your take on a Newark get together.

xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jan 2015 at 07:01
Hi Mo,

Sounds like something I really like to attend if I were able especially with it being held in my hometown. I lived for most of my childhood within walking distance of Northgate Station and trained to be a press photographer at the Newark Advertiser. Happy times.

Have to see how things go in two weeks time (heart angioplasty) but the recovery time should be quicker than last time as my heart should be fixed. Still disappointed I missed the Flyer event in December. It would be really nice to meet and have a chat. I need something to look forward to.

Steve

User
Posted 05 Jan 2015 at 09:26

Hi Mo,

too far for Sharon and I to travel I'm afraid.

We will be in Bali :)

<goes of to do a dad shuffle in the corner of the room>

Hope it all goes well for everyone attending though!

All the best 

Kevin

User
Posted 05 Jan 2015 at 10:14

Hello Mandy Mo.
I won't be able to come either as the other half wouldn't attend a "Do". He dislikes even family ones.

Good luck with the organising and I hope lots of people take it up.

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Jan 2015 at 21:08
Sandra we are not expecting lots of people to be honest we usually have just a small group of 8 -10 of us but we did want to see if any more recent members wanted to come along.

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 09:38

It's a possible Mo!

Will let you know soon.

Chris and Shirley.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 10:57
this is going down quite well, several new members have made inquiries and we have at least 11 of us to date, I will give more info in 10 days or so with the names of those who are coming along.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 18:47

Is it definitely on ?

If so I'll book train tickets.

Chris.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 20:32
Chris I can pick you and Shirley up just let me know which train aim for about 12 if you can. Hope to eat about 3

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 20:42

Don't forget me and Ness, twins are popping in for a little lunch and to say Hi then off to the grandparents http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 21:15

Is it definitely on for Saturday 7th?

Dave

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 22:12
Dave ..and everyone yes we are all systems go for Sat 7th Feb, I have booked myself in at the Prem Inn as I intend to have a glass of wine or two this time. Happy to do collections from station but we may need to get taxis or another nominated driver for return drop offs.

I will post soon with the names, I am expecting we will try and have a late lunch early dinner sometime around 3. No obligation to have the meal though

xx

Mo

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 22:30

Are we sure this is a real gathering as it's taken less than a page to get it sorted!!! Wonderful organisation Mo. It's in the diary!

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 23:08

Train tickets booked arrive into Newark Castle 11.52.

Looking forward to seeing some of the gang again.

Chris.

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 00:08
Hi,

Going to try my best to be there. Health permitting.

Steve.

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 01:34

I am really sad to be missing this but we have arranged a charity Ball that evening so I suspect I will have my hands full with table plans and raffle prizes and so on .... plus the theme this year is Bollywood so I have to work out how to wrap the sari round in a way that ensures it cannot fall off if my dancing gets too vigorous.

Have a great time everyone xxx

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 19:24
I am so happy that we have a great response, such a shame Lyn and John cannot be there but we can try and find some suggestions for sari security and text solution messages to Lyn. I can just picture an octopus with hold down suckers doing disco inferno on the dance floor!!

I know on a couple of other conversations there has been mentions of TG aka Barry Newman and I have thought about him when I was setting this up. He teased Si and I for taking more than one page to get it sorted the first do, hence Paul's comment. I have visions of TG sending me celestial messages to cut the crap and get the PU organised, the first Newark get together he called us at the Moorings to check that we all made it there, cheeky monkey thought we would have a search party out for those that had dropped off piste following our Sat navs. We all miss him and his awesome sense of humour.

That is why I love this forum and the people on here in the face of all adversity we can still all call on humour.

In case anyone reading this needs a little reminder Sat 7th February at the Moorings Newark noon onwards.

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 08 Jan 2015 at 08:03

Sorry guys I won't be making this one. Have a great time

Bri

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 23:00

OMG!

Room booked.

Overdraft arranged for Si and others to drink me under the table.

Again!

Dave

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 10:18
Dave we should be safe as you might fall asleep before you get to that stage ha ha.I have made a note to ask the Moorings not to serve your meal on a roof tile as well.!!!

Xxx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 10:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Dave we should be safe as you might fall asleep probably will before you get to that stage ha ha.I have made a note to ask the Moorings not to serve your meal on a roof tile as well.!!!
Xxx
Mandy Mo

Give me a plate anytime!  

Impressed that you remembered.  ;-)

dave

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 13:42

GOOD LUCK TO THE 'NEWARK' CREW!

You'll have a fabulous time yet again.

Mo, Simon and co, I wish I could be with you, and tied up at 'The Moorings' but I'm so tied up here (don't ask!).

One year I will get there, and that's a promise.

I know most of you are already booked up for the B2PCa annual summer 'do' in June and I look forward to meeting you again then,

In mid February I will post details of that event on the 'Event's section here.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

George

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 10:32

Hi Mandy,

I've tried to send you a private message but it's saying you inbox is full.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 12:03

Have a lovely time! Like Steve, I noticed your inbox was full, you popular lady:)

love Sue x

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 12:45
Hi folks I am sorry my inbox was full, I am not very good at filing stuff, never have been. Mick was amazingly methodical files for everything, he made me have my own e mail account because I made his untidy!! Anyway I have been in and tidied up so there is now some space for more messages.

Sue if you and Alan fancied coming down and meeting up with us all you are more than welcome as is anyone else who sees this and wants to join us at The Moorings in Newark at 12 onwards Saturday 7th February.

Latest scores on the doors are as follows

confirmed parties:

Edamo ...ME

SiNess ... Si and Ness plus the twins (some of the time)

YorkHull ... Paul

ColwickChris ... Chris and Dawn

Countryboy 55 ...Dave

Exbus ...Chris and Shirley

TeddyEdward ...Andy and SOH

Possibles depending on fitness and well being and in Julie and Trevor's case puppy births permitting

Nikon STeve ...Steve and his wife

Irun...Kev and his wife

TrevorBoothe ...Trevor and Julie

It has been a particularly hard start to 2015 so we all deserve a break and a chance to let our hair down (those that still have some!) I will be seeing Si tomorrow so we can make sure we have things organised with the pub.

Those coming by train to Newark Northgate let us know if you need a lift, those coming into Newark Castle by train it is literally round the corner from the pub so easier to walk than be collected.

I really hope you can all make it

In the meantime I have a joke for you all ...

A man (I am being PC here guys) man goes into a bar and orders 3 pints of Guinness, he goes to a quiet corner and starts to drink a few sips at a time from each pint until he finishes all three, then he goes to the bar and asks the barman for 3 more. The barman says "you know Guinness is always better drunk cold so maybe you should just have one pint at a time" ah no says the man " you see I have two brothers, one has gone to Australia and the other to America so we agreed we would always drink like this to keep in each others minds"

This went on for years every other night in the same pub so all the locals got used to the man with his 3 pints. Until one day he goes in and orders 2 pints of Guinness, as he is looking for his wallet to pay, the barman says "Oh no Pat I am so sorry for your loss, would you like the third pint on me?"

Jeez no says the man "Tiz nothing like that at all tiz just me I have given up drinking"

Dah Dah

xxx

Mandy Mo

Edited by member 21 Jan 2015 at 12:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 17:09

Haha, I did laugh at your joke, Mandy...what are you like. I'll mention the meet to Alan, as it's not that far from us. I'm not sure he's got his head round the whole prostate cancer business yet...I think I'm struggling more than he is.

Thank you as always, for being you,

Love Sue x

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 17:47
Sue

you and Alan would be very welcome indeed, I think sometimes wives and partners do get hit hard initially in my case I think I felt a tiny bit guilty why Mick and not me although he would have kicked my ass if he heard me say that. Alan is probably still in a little bit of denial he was not expecting this, went for the test because you wanted him to and now he has a whole new barrel of frogs to deal with. The main thing is if it does suddenly hit him you will be there for him forewarned and forearmed. Having said that Alan is such a laid back guy he probaby just thinks oh well I suppose things could be worse.

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 18:51
Is there something nearer London? I think its time I came out the closet and put faces to names.
User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 23:22
Barry

there is a London event organised by George H every year but it is in December so you just missed it. I seem to remember from your writings that you live North of London, a train ride to Newark is easy if you can get to Stevenage and trainline.com do some really good deals at weekends and out of the rush hours.

Couple of us are making a weekend of it and staying overnight at the Premier Inn in Newark.

It would be really great if you could come along

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 05:17

LOL :-)

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 06:05
Dave I take it at this crude hour of the day you are laughing at my terrble joke ..ha ha

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 09:06

Barry (bazza) or via Nottingham on the train like us.

Chris.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 20:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Dave I take it at this crude hour of the day you are laughing at my terrble joke ..ha ha
xx
Mo

Indeed, I too would have LOL at that one.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Jan 2015 at 09:10

Hi,

If I do make it to Newark, everyone who meets me there will see slightly more "Steve" than I intended!

Just stood on the scales and I'm shocked, I weigh a stone heavier than I did before my heart attack.  I blame Christmas really but it just shows how inactive I've been while under "house arrest".  The sooner I start my cardiac rehab programme the better.

Anyway, I'm hoping nothing goes wrong in the next week, I do have a couple of appointments so unless they put any restrictions on me, I'll be there.

Take care.

Steve 

Edited by member 27 Jan 2015 at 09:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jan 2015 at 10:12
Great stuff Steve we will see you there

Xxx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 09:51

Not been able to get online to the community since Sunday, anyone else have any problems getting here recently?

Looking forward to Newark. How many are attending, roughly?

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 19:34
Dave we have 13 confirmed and 5 possibles depending how treatment is going.

will make a final posting on Thursday next week

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:49

I don't know if this will be of use to anyone but, I will be travelling from Northampton to Newark on the Saturday morning. Does anyone need our want a lift along that route?

Brackley - Towcester - M1- Leicester - A46 to Newark.

Unsure of times as yet.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 18:07
Dave

Of course I know you will stick to the speed limits but watch for speed cameras on the A46 especially between the A6097 and Newark where the sneaky police man hides behind the chevron with his camera.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 22:00

Cheers for that.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 22:01

OOPS! Sorry.

DP

dave

Edited by member 29 Jan 2015 at 22:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 00:20

Let's hope the sneaky policeman is not a member of our forum - he will be looking out for you now!!!

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 20:02

Regarding sneaky policemen, a couple of incidents:

Luton Airport approach roads with roadworks currently with a 30mph limit. As I drove up the road from the airport I could see a roadworks sign on a trestle stand. The sign was in 2 pieces, upper and lower with a gap between, BUT the middle bit was filled in with yellow. On getting to the sign there was a chubby cop, he was huge. Pointing a speed gun through the gap between the top sign and the bottom sign at approaching traffic.

On another day I saw a lamp post with a fluorescent bulge near the base. This turned out to be another chubby copper with a speed gun.

God bless donuts and fat cops.

Dave

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 09:45

Oh dear me. Things have really deteriorated since I left the service 10 years ago. I was a cop and in the Traffic Div for some years of my service. We wouldn't have even considered hiding behind a sign to catch speeders. It was deemed unprofessional and, frankly, there were plenty to choose from anyway without going to those lengths. I am very sad to see what is happening to our police service today. In the name of 'austerity' it is being dumbed down, reduced in number and the standard of recruit these days leaves much to be desired too. Sorry for the rant...but it does make me angry.

I hope you all have a great day in Newark on the 7th. and those of you driving to the event get there and back in one piece and with intact driving licenses. We'll see as many of you as possible in July.

Steve & Leonie

Edited by member 31 Jan 2015 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Feb 2015 at 01:41
Hi,

Looking forward to Saturday. The only thing that really concerns me is the weather. I'm driving there so it could play an important part in me being able to attend if there's heavy snow.

Fingers crossed, it will be ok.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2015 at 15:49
Final post on this thread for me before this Saturday.

Weather forecast is good, fair weather no snow and temps around 6-7c according to BBC.

See you all at The Moorings Newark after Noon on Saturday Feb 7th

Final roll call is as follows

Edamo - Me

SiNess- Si, Ness and the twins

YorkHull - Paul

ColwickChris - Chris and Dawn

TeddyEdward- Andy plus wife(sorry Andy not sure of your wife's name)

Exbus - Chris and Shirley

CountryBoy55 - Dave

NikonStee- Steve

possibly trevorboothe- Julie and maybe even Trevor (Yay!!)

So 14 maybe 16

Chris have sent you a message re the train station

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2015 at 23:15

See you all on Saturday. Try your hardest, puppies permitting, Julie and Trevor.

Chris.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 11:43

Have a great time today everyone xxxx I am sad not to be there with you but we have arranged a big charity ball tonight so I will be busy sorting out raffle tickets and seating plans :-)

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 22:33

Hi,

Arrived home after a really nice day meeting everyone at the Newark Event.  I really enjoyed seeing everyone face to face at last.

Thanks for the comment that I didn't look as young as I do in my avatar picture (don't worry, I don't actually mind it being said.  It confirms what I was thinking).  That picture was actually taken at my son's wedding only last March and confirms what effect stress can have on a person when diagnosed with cancer and then having a heart attack in a period of less than six months.  It has aged me. 

After meeting everyone, I feel privileged to think I have such a supportive group of friends.

If anyone would like to send me a private message with their contact details, I can send a few pictures.

All the Best,

Steve

Edited by member 08 Feb 2015 at 00:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 09:02

Sounds like you all had fun. Glad it went well

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails