I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiation - was trying to continue previous thread on this.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 22:35

Hi 

Some of you may be familiar with our story - which after the shock of the initial dx seemed over the last couple of years to be more positive, than we could have ever hoped.  

After radiation treatment in May 2012, Hubby has been off HT for 24 months (last treatment being Dec 2012) - since then very static PSA at 0.3 with 3 month checks - then in June 2014 - checks were pushed out to 6 months - all seems to be going well (always said with trepidation) and Consultant said 0.3 looked like Hubby's nadir. 

Todays results - PSA 0.6 :( 

Nurse has said not to worry - expects its due to return of testosterone - and it PSA is still low.   However she has asked Hubby to come back in 6 weeks, for another blood tests. 

I know until we see the Consultant = there will not be many answers.....

But it does not stop the worry (you know the feeling in your gut). 

Hope you are all doing Ok on your own journeys. 

Love 

S x 

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 23:24

Hi STF,

I believe the RT zaps all cells in the prostate and damages their DNA, the cancer cells die off, but normal non cancerous Prostate cells can recover and thus start to give off PSA again. 

Good luck to ALL who are fighting or affected by cancer.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 08:05

Hello Shireen,

I have been told that they expect my PSA to increase over time as the testosterone recovers. They said it would probably come up towards 1.0, so I have been expecting this to happen, but so far after 12 months off HT, I am still stable. However, from the way I feel, I don't think testosterone has changed much yet! When I tried to find out how long it would take, I was told anywhere between 12 months and as long as I was on HT (in my case 2.5 years).

All that said, I know the day the PSA goes up, I'll be really concerned! It is natural to worry. The test in 6 weeks is the best way to check, but I am sure you'll both worry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the results are good! I am due for another test later this month, but after a year of stable results, I am pretty relaxed about it.... hopefully that will be justified!

Let us know how you get on in 6 weeks?
All the best,
Peter

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 09:52

Hi Shireen,

Could well be rise is due to T increasing.

If you look at my profile or my recent post ‘PSA up and down results after HT ends’ you can see PSA did rise quite sometime after HT ended and then well kind off moved around a bit.

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 10:07

Suggest that when you have PSA test done you ask them to test for Testosterone also. I asked for this and my GP agreed, (blood being taken at surgery).

Barry
User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 19:55
Hi Shireen

Lovely to see you back here but not happy that you are concerned. I guess if testosterone rises then PSA will too but where does it come from if the Prostate has been zapped? I wish I knew but it does seem to happen. I think Barry has suggested a good plan, it would at least tell you whether it's the T score that's causing it.

Lots of love

Allison xx

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 18:28

Hi Shireen,
So good to hear from you again,

Hopefully hubbys psa rise is due to T rising

Best wishs Barry

PS, I have just had my last injection Dec 15th 14 three years on HT after RT 46 months in total

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 08:05

Hello Shireen,

I have been told that they expect my PSA to increase over time as the testosterone recovers. They said it would probably come up towards 1.0, so I have been expecting this to happen, but so far after 12 months off HT, I am still stable. However, from the way I feel, I don't think testosterone has changed much yet! When I tried to find out how long it would take, I was told anywhere between 12 months and as long as I was on HT (in my case 2.5 years).

All that said, I know the day the PSA goes up, I'll be really concerned! It is natural to worry. The test in 6 weeks is the best way to check, but I am sure you'll both worry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the results are good! I am due for another test later this month, but after a year of stable results, I am pretty relaxed about it.... hopefully that will be justified!

Let us know how you get on in 6 weeks?
All the best,
Peter

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 09:52

Hi Shireen,

Could well be rise is due to T increasing.

If you look at my profile or my recent post ‘PSA up and down results after HT ends’ you can see PSA did rise quite sometime after HT ended and then well kind off moved around a bit.

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 10:07

Suggest that when you have PSA test done you ask them to test for Testosterone also. I asked for this and my GP agreed, (blood being taken at surgery).

Barry
User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 19:55
Hi Shireen

Lovely to see you back here but not happy that you are concerned. I guess if testosterone rises then PSA will too but where does it come from if the Prostate has been zapped? I wish I knew but it does seem to happen. I think Barry has suggested a good plan, it would at least tell you whether it's the T score that's causing it.

Lots of love

Allison xx

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 20:29

It comes from healthy cells so some medics say

Ray

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 20:33

Never had my T tested as PSA could be coming from healthy and or PCa so would not be any wiser.

Short posts as site logging me out

Ray

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 23:09
Thanks guys and gals for your replies and concern. I am am hoping as hubby is quite 'well' at the moment that it is the testosterone as you suggest.

Will keep you posted. X

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 23:24

Hi STF,

I believe the RT zaps all cells in the prostate and damages their DNA, the cancer cells die off, but normal non cancerous Prostate cells can recover and thus start to give off PSA again. 

Good luck to ALL who are fighting or affected by cancer.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 11 Jan 2015 at 18:28

Hi Shireen,
So good to hear from you again,

Hopefully hubbys psa rise is due to T rising

Best wishs Barry

PS, I have just had my last injection Dec 15th 14 three years on HT after RT 46 months in total