I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Something positive though feels like a hollow victory !

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 17:54

Some months back I posted about the complaint Neil's daughter and I lodged about his awful end of life care as I think I described in 'Nearing the End ? '

We felt we had to raise our concerns with the hospital, various MPs, Care Quality Commission and anyone else who would listen !

After months, we finally received a response which answered our questions with some pretty weak reasons ! For instance, we asked why the ward did not recognise Neil was dying and adjust treatment accordingly. Their response was that one of the senior oncologists had said he had 3 - 6 months to live, I don't think they were able to understand prognoses are not set in stone !

The four of us with him all night were the ones initiating the treatment, begging for doctors to attend and for appropriate pain relief, the ward was understaffed and I dread to think what would have happened if there were not four of us with him all night, including a doctor and two retired nurses !!

His daughter and I met with representatives from the hospital a week ago, which included two senior urologists, the hospital deputy manager, senior matron, surgical matron and two Safeguarding personel, one of whom chaired the meeting.

After nearly two hours discussing and us challenging their interpretation of events, the chair decided the hospital were negligent in his care and expressed concern other urology patients would also have been at risk. She asked for further investigations over a number of points.

The matter will go back to the Care Quality Commission and changes will have to be made to ensure better decisions are made over end of life care, access to senior doctors, pain control, adequate staffing and so on.

I am so pleased as many of our local prostate cancer support group are treated here, I hope we have made a difference for them and for other patients though none of this will bring my partner back and it was hard going over everything again but had to be done !

Fiona.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 22:00

Excellent Fiona. I am sure Neil would be so proud.
It sounds like your actions will lead to significant changes in that hospital and possibly the Trusts practice.

Well done

Bri

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 22:41
Fiona

I am delighted to read this, well done to you both. Neil suffered terribly and it makes my heart bleed to remember what you and he went through and I'm sure we only knew the half of it. What you are doing is wonderful, trying to ensure that this doesn't happen again rather than trying to take the NHS for money (which I do not generally condone). I hope one day you will be able to recover from the awful experience but in the meantime, thank you so much for standing up for those unable to do it for themselves. How fantastic that you were able to make sure that the excuses (for that it what is was) were seen through by the panel and real cation is to be taken. I feel proud to know you (even if it is just through this forum). Thank you in behalf of all future urology patients, you might well be making a heck of a difference to some poor man right now.

Carol

My love, you and Eric also went through a nightmare and I'm sure, like Fiona, you only told us the half of it. Do you think that complaining would help someone else and if so, why don't you ask Fiona how she went about this? I truly think it would help you recover from your awful ordeal. No one here has forgotten what you went through nor will we, bless you and hugs to you.

Lots of love

Allison xxx

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 23:01
Neil would be so proud of you and his daughter for finding the strength to see this through after such a difficult time for you all. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens often but is rarely raised, as the grief that people go through is all consuming at the time, so by highlighting such lack of care, you in some way may make a change into the practices at your particular hospital.

Roy

Edited by member 18 Jan 2015 at 23:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 23:39

Well done Fiona for pursuing which hopefully will lead to others receiving better and more appropriate care.

Barry
User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 01:20

Fiona

Congratulations on your determination bringing the recognition of lack of care. If it means that others who follow are more likely to end their lives with better care and attention, you have done a fantastic job in Neil's name.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 18:08

Well done indeed Fiona.

Hard for you but if it achieves better care then everyone benefits including the medical people who will learn the correct responses under similar circumstances.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 19:52

How thoughtful and considerate of you to do this, amidst your own pain.

Not everyone could do this, but not surprising from you.

Well done Fiona and I am sure that it will benefit others.

I hope that you will get a little comfort from this.

Alison x

User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 20:08

Fiona

Well done for seeing this through! Let us hope the lessons learned by the hospital managers and staff will result in all patients getting better and proper care.

Alan

User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 23:02

Hi Fiona and your DIL,

well done on your determination and on getting a result.

A little piece of satisfaction in an unsatisfactory world. But, you did it.

atb

Dave

User
Posted 20 Jan 2015 at 20:38

Hi Fiona,

Not an easy thing that you are doing and reliving Neil's last days must be very hard but sometimes in life we need answers. End of life care is woefully understaffed in most areas. I worked many years ago in an old peoples home and some of the tales that I could retell are heart breaking

I hope you get the answers that you need .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON