I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel insurance gone up

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 14:54

Well having successfully managed to obtain annual travel insurance for last year I now find I'm struggling to get cover this year....since my last  post I've had another biopsy and this took me from a Gleason score of 6 to a 7....Consultant said I could no longer remain on Active surveillance and had to decide on a treatment.I have opted for Radiotherapy and have had my first injection of Prostap...... My Radiotherapy will start in May

I had already booked a cruise for April this year which falls outside my current insurance so this means  I have to  get a new policy.....easier said than done...because I'm awaiting treatment it makes a huge difference to the amount I have to pay.

Last year when I was on Active surveillance I paid £365.54 for an annual policy for my wife and I....She has mild asthma and I have  to declare besides the PC , Bypass surgery,a previous heart attack and the fact that I'm on blood pressure and cholesterol tablets.

I'm having real difficulty getting anyone to insure me....I'm assuming it's because I am awaiting treatment.....the only quote I've managed to get is £588.77 for annual insurance or £344.21 for a single trip

Does anyone have any suggestions for companies  who will cover me that are reasonably priced......

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 20:20

Hello there. You could try www.explorertravel.co.uk

We used them in November. I can't remember off the top of my head how much we paid but I know it was cheaper than the usual insurers for people with conditions.

We were totally honest about both of us and for a small premium extra they covered both John's cancer and my back problems.

It's an online application form so you get an idea of how much you are being asked for.

I assume that you don't have travel insurance attached to a bank account that you could use?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 17:13

yes we do but as I'm 74 they don't cover me

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 18:20

Well my John was 72/3 on the last holiday and the cost for both of us was £102.89
That included cover for John's cancer for £34.38 which is included in the price. He also has a heart murmur
For me with arthritis and IBS there was no extra charge for these

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 18:49

Tangobunny,

last year I had booked a trip to China, declared I had prostate cancer all was fine, until I mentioned a few months later that I had been offered a date for surgery which would be done after my trip, whne I returned home, along with the surgeons blessing, they cancelled the insurance,

I rang around and ended up at Marks & Spencer online, I opted for worldwide annual coverage but excluding the US etc, which brought the cost down a bit, there's no one size fit all travel insurance when you have to declare pre-existing medical conditions, as the risks are higher for companies,

if things go wrong we all need good insurance when overseas, , medical care is very expensive let alone repatriation costs etc

sorry dont mean to preach but it may help get things into prospective, cant remember how much I paid but it was a lot more than last year

thats the price we pay for peace of mind   :-(