Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First session of Chemo starts Monday

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 16:09
Had my blood tests etc on Friday, getting ready for Monday

Given steroids to take tomorrow,Monday and Tuesday, 1st session of chemo on Monday.

Scared and nervous of what is to come.anyone out there with any tips and experiences,they could impart would be greatly appreciated.

The impact it has had on all my family is frightening.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 22:36
Hi, our history's are different to today as diagnosed October 2014, gleeson 9 T 4N1M1a however HT seems to be working still but also started chemo 4 weeks ago (docetaxl). All I can say us that apart from mental thing of sitting in a chair watching crap go into you and others around who were in some cases looking quite ill it was ok. I was a bit tired afterwards for a few days but still managed to run 30k a week albeit slower than before, take the anti sick pills for 5 days not 3 as there is (I was told) no down side so why feel rubbish when u don't need to. Other that that, as long as you don't feel awful, get up and go for a walk, don't mope about. I had secon session last Tuesday, have run twice since, being to gym, been to football, had a couple of beer sessions with friends, just do it. My only other advice is that after doing anything build in a 2 hour rest period before you do the next thing eg walk, rest 2 hours ( ie watch telly!) go to football, rest 2 hours, go to pub!!! Others may or not agree on this forum but works for me and reminds me why it's worth fighting to be here on this planet for as long as possible. Go in positive come out positive, Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 22:24

Hi I can't offer any advice or tips having not had chemo. There are lads on here who I'm sure will be along to offer advice.

Just wanted to wish you well with this next line of treatment

Bri

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 17:03

My husband Tony is having chemo (docetaxel) and it's not half as bad as we expected. Perhaps he is lucky - the oncologist says he's tolerating it unusually well - but he's now had three of his six treatments and has had few side effects. I have reported a bit about it in the Advanced and Metastatic Cancer section, under "Chemo has started!".
Tony has less stamina than usual, and has a short nap most afternoons, but today this was only after walking a total of several miles. His sense of taste is a little distorted now, but nothing major.
Our hospital seem very good at controlling the medication, preceding the docetaxel with an anti-emetic and an antihistamine to avoid reactions. He has extra anti-emetic pills but hasn't needed them. He also has steroids to take, with extra ones around the time of the infusion. These make him a bit pink and puffy (and hungry!) He tends to feel a bit achy on days 3 - 5, and they say it's fine to take paracetamol for this. After that he starts to feel pretty much normal.
The treatment is given in an open ward with everyone fully clothed and sitting on chairs, which makes it seem quite normal and natural (even though it's not!). The whole procedure takes a couple of hours.
One tip we were given, useful at this time of year, is to wear gloves on the way to hospital. They put the cannula in the back of your hand, which is easier and less painful if your hand is warm and the veins prominent.
Good luck!
Marje

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 17:05
Hi Irun

Many thanks for your reply and advice which I have definately taken on board.

I was in the chemo ward on Friday getting my bloods done and noticed it looked like a milking farm,except they were pumping it in instead of taking it out.

I feel pretty much like I felt before my 37 sessions of RT back in 2010/11 just get on with it and go with the flow, it worked then and put me in remission till it spread last year. Just hope and pray I like you,that there is the minimum of side effects,

I do my best to keep fit and keep to a healthy diet, have great love and support from my family,so I shouldn't be such a wimp and keep strong.

Will keep an update as to how I get on from tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help and advice.

Alan

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 19:10
Hi, my first PSA was 342, zoladex got it to 3, chemo saw it increase to 5 but oncologist said not to worry as often a bounce, I think he is expecting a drop below 3 by the end of treatment but got the impression it may be a where in single digits whilst under treatment. Not sure if that helps but he is sure the cancer itself will have significantly shrunk after chemo and then I have 6 weeks of RT which should shrink prostate site further, I think it is then I will worry about PSA if it's above 3. Hope all goes well, I did also do the frozen pineapple thing, no idea if it works but tastes ok!! Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 00:08

Good luck for tomorrow Aldee1 . I am sure you will sail through has anyone given you the advice of frozen pineapple cubes ? apparently it helps protects the taste buds . I can't offer any more advice as we haven't been on this route but just to say good luck .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 02:45

Hi Alan,

Just to wish you good luck for today.

Hope it goes well.

Steve

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 07:07
Thinking of you Alam, remember you are doing the cancer in, hope it goes as smoothly as possible. Kev

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 18:03

Hi Alan,

I haven't had Chemo, but would just like to wish you good luck with your treatment.

All the best,

Gerry

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 18:55
Alan I hope all went well, chemotherapy is a difficult thing for people to compare. So many huge steps have been taken to try to minimize the side effects that for some men it is relatively straightforward. Some experience a definite cycle of about a week feeling ok, a week not so good and then a week of near normality. Others breeze through it and a much rarer few just do not handle it well at all.

A lot is down to your physical and mental fortitude and the dosage given.

Results for some men are fantastic and it really sets them up for the next treatment and others just don't do as well at all.

I would definitely go with Kev's advice and take the anti sickness pills they really help as the major factor of sickness and nausea is that they are both far harder to stop once they start, so avoidance is better.

I hope that one of our gurus can post about what you might expect your PSA to do as this depends on a lot of factors.

Starting point and any other

Medication taken alongside the chemotherapy are just two.

One thing I would say and that is read your chemo booklet and always refer to the information in it about any possible problems you could experience, never be afraid to call the chemo team on the numbers they give you it's better to play it safe than end up dealing with a much bigger problem for the want of a phone call.

I wish you all the very best

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 00:20

Aldee, I am sorry that it is all feeling so difficult right now - I am quite sure though that your wife and daughter think the world of you and would be horrified at the idea of you being a burden.

Re the sore mouth - are you freezing pineapple cubes to suck on during each infusion? Seems to work wonders for many.

Hang on in there,
Lyn

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 03:49
Alan

I am quite sure your Wife and daughter are naturally concerned for you and do not see you as a burden at all. Administering chemo or any other treatment that needs a canula can be literally hit and miss I can remember Mick having very definite favourite nurses in the chemo suite. He also had one experience of a nervous and inexperienced nurse who left him looking like he had been 5 rounds with Mike Tyson!

Are the nurses applying a warm pad for a few minutes before starting? this often helps to make your veins a little more prominent and if left applied throughout the infusion can reduce the bruising too.

Mouth ulcers are a common problem so it is a good idea to use a mild antiseptic mouthwash all through your treatment (the hospital can prescribe one if you ask them) the frozen pineapple cubes also help to prevent them and the unpleasant taste that chemo can leave you with.

I wish you all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 06:41
Hi Alan.

Sorry that round 2 has been a but more av a struggle, I am one in front of you so to speak, and have a few more side effects but nothing too bad. I do have a daily regime of corsadil mouth wash twice, hand cream on finger ends and nails, face cream around my nose and edge of lips and lip balm, all least twice a day. I am still running( ran 20 miles on Friday in 3-14 as part if my marathon training for 5 weeks time) and yes I remain slower and it takes more effort and mental resolve but I can do it so don't give up on walking your dog or beat yourself up if it's not brisk. I focus on the fact that there are only 6 chemo sessions and afterwards I will be a bit better, none of the side affects are long term.

I wish you well, feel free to pm me any time.

Kev

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 06:44

Alan

Sorry to hear you are not feeling great. As others have said I am sure your wife and daughter do not see you as a burden.

Re the canular, If they have further problems getting it in perhaps ask if they can put it into your arm (where they normally draw blood from) the vein is usually more prominent there

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 08:06

I know that your wife and daughter are loving you so be strong

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 10:39

Hello Alan,
Sorry to hear of your uncomfortable symptoms. My husband Tony has some of these but is luckier than most as his symptoms are very mild. He uses a mouthwash several times a day (a "sensitive mouth" one without alcohol in it) and also rinses his mouth with salt water regularly, which his dentist agreed was a good idea. He was told to use a soft toothbrush, so I looked for a soft replacement brush for his electric toothbrush. The only one I could find was a Disney-princess themed one, but he didn't mind: "With all the indignities I'm suffering, this is the least of my worries!".

Don't be too hard on yourself - exercise will help you feel better and stay strong, but keep it to a level that is comfortable for you. This is not for ever, it's just a few months. (Tell your dog he'll just have to be patient!).

Tony also finds that now he knows what to expect at each stage of the cycle it's not so daunting. Like you, he gets very hungry with the steroids, and we're trying to keep lots of fruit and veg handy, so that he doesn't pile on too much weight.

Maybe he's just lucky, but some of the things he's doing, which may be helping to combat the side effects, or the cancer (or neither! who knows?) are: avoiding dairy and using soy foods instead; eating nuts; drinking pomegranate juice and green tea; eating turmeric; eating broccoli and other green veg. And spending time on hobbies that he enjoys, getting out of doors whenever possible.

I'm sure your wife and daughter don't find you a burden and will want to do all they can to support you. They know it's only for a limited time, and hopefully the chemo will buy you some good quality time to spend with them when it's over.
Good luck!
Marje

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 22:24

Hi I can't offer any advice or tips having not had chemo. There are lads on here who I'm sure will be along to offer advice.

Just wanted to wish you well with this next line of treatment

Bri

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 22:36
Hi, our history's are different to today as diagnosed October 2014, gleeson 9 T 4N1M1a however HT seems to be working still but also started chemo 4 weeks ago (docetaxl). All I can say us that apart from mental thing of sitting in a chair watching crap go into you and others around who were in some cases looking quite ill it was ok. I was a bit tired afterwards for a few days but still managed to run 30k a week albeit slower than before, take the anti sick pills for 5 days not 3 as there is (I was told) no down side so why feel rubbish when u don't need to. Other that that, as long as you don't feel awful, get up and go for a walk, don't mope about. I had secon session last Tuesday, have run twice since, being to gym, been to football, had a couple of beer sessions with friends, just do it. My only other advice is that after doing anything build in a 2 hour rest period before you do the next thing eg walk, rest 2 hours ( ie watch telly!) go to football, rest 2 hours, go to pub!!! Others may or not agree on this forum but works for me and reminds me why it's worth fighting to be here on this planet for as long as possible. Go in positive come out positive, Kev

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 16:51
Hi Bri

Many thanks for your good wishes mate, will keep you posted after tomorrow.

Take Care

Alan

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 17:03

My husband Tony is having chemo (docetaxel) and it's not half as bad as we expected. Perhaps he is lucky - the oncologist says he's tolerating it unusually well - but he's now had three of his six treatments and has had few side effects. I have reported a bit about it in the Advanced and Metastatic Cancer section, under "Chemo has started!".
Tony has less stamina than usual, and has a short nap most afternoons, but today this was only after walking a total of several miles. His sense of taste is a little distorted now, but nothing major.
Our hospital seem very good at controlling the medication, preceding the docetaxel with an anti-emetic and an antihistamine to avoid reactions. He has extra anti-emetic pills but hasn't needed them. He also has steroids to take, with extra ones around the time of the infusion. These make him a bit pink and puffy (and hungry!) He tends to feel a bit achy on days 3 - 5, and they say it's fine to take paracetamol for this. After that he starts to feel pretty much normal.
The treatment is given in an open ward with everyone fully clothed and sitting on chairs, which makes it seem quite normal and natural (even though it's not!). The whole procedure takes a couple of hours.
One tip we were given, useful at this time of year, is to wear gloves on the way to hospital. They put the cannula in the back of your hand, which is easier and less painful if your hand is warm and the veins prominent.
Good luck!
Marje

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 17:05
Hi Irun

Many thanks for your reply and advice which I have definately taken on board.

I was in the chemo ward on Friday getting my bloods done and noticed it looked like a milking farm,except they were pumping it in instead of taking it out.

I feel pretty much like I felt before my 37 sessions of RT back in 2010/11 just get on with it and go with the flow, it worked then and put me in remission till it spread last year. Just hope and pray I like you,that there is the minimum of side effects,

I do my best to keep fit and keep to a healthy diet, have great love and support from my family,so I shouldn't be such a wimp and keep strong.

Will keep an update as to how I get on from tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help and advice.

Alan

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 17:37
Hi Marj

Many thanks for your reply. A real insight into your experiences,and some good useful tips.

Wish it was all over of course, but got to experience to believe it I suppose.

Thanks Again and will update after tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Alan

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 18:46
Hi again Kev

Just one question, what was your PSA level after your first session, had it gone down then ,and since ?

Cheers

Alan

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 19:10
Hi, my first PSA was 342, zoladex got it to 3, chemo saw it increase to 5 but oncologist said not to worry as often a bounce, I think he is expecting a drop below 3 by the end of treatment but got the impression it may be a where in single digits whilst under treatment. Not sure if that helps but he is sure the cancer itself will have significantly shrunk after chemo and then I have 6 weeks of RT which should shrink prostate site further, I think it is then I will worry about PSA if it's above 3. Hope all goes well, I did also do the frozen pineapple thing, no idea if it works but tastes ok!! Kev

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 00:08

Good luck for tomorrow Aldee1 . I am sure you will sail through has anyone given you the advice of frozen pineapple cubes ? apparently it helps protects the taste buds . I can't offer any more advice as we haven't been on this route but just to say good luck .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 02:45

Hi Alan,

Just to wish you good luck for today.

Hope it goes well.

Steve

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 07:07
Thinking of you Alam, remember you are doing the cancer in, hope it goes as smoothly as possible. Kev

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 18:03

Hi Alan,

I haven't had Chemo, but would just like to wish you good luck with your treatment.

All the best,

Gerry

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 18:55
Alan I hope all went well, chemotherapy is a difficult thing for people to compare. So many huge steps have been taken to try to minimize the side effects that for some men it is relatively straightforward. Some experience a definite cycle of about a week feeling ok, a week not so good and then a week of near normality. Others breeze through it and a much rarer few just do not handle it well at all.

A lot is down to your physical and mental fortitude and the dosage given.

Results for some men are fantastic and it really sets them up for the next treatment and others just don't do as well at all.

I would definitely go with Kev's advice and take the anti sickness pills they really help as the major factor of sickness and nausea is that they are both far harder to stop once they start, so avoidance is better.

I hope that one of our gurus can post about what you might expect your PSA to do as this depends on a lot of factors.

Starting point and any other

Medication taken alongside the chemotherapy are just two.

One thing I would say and that is read your chemo booklet and always refer to the information in it about any possible problems you could experience, never be afraid to call the chemo team on the numbers they give you it's better to play it safe than end up dealing with a much bigger problem for the want of a phone call.

I wish you all the very best

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 11 Feb 2015 at 22:49
Hi To Everyone who gave me confidence and useful tips before my first chemo session on Monday.

I have to say the treatment was not as bad as I had feared and expected.

I know it's very early days, but I do not fear future treatments, following my first.

My only obvious worry of course now is possible side effects, since Monday I have been ok, except a little tired, keeping a fit regime, and a healthy diet.

Onwards I go.

Again, Many thanks for all your advice.

Alan

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 00:09
Hi Everyone

Just a quick update on my progress through chemotherapy fo all those new friends and fellow sufferers.

I'm now 7 days after my 2nd chemo treatment.

The main side effects I have experienced are fatigue and general tiredness, frustrating when I feel I want to go for a brisk walk with the dog say,only to find I end up totally knackered even before I get back into the house.

The sore mouth,ulcers and general yuk feeling are worse than after the first session. Hope they find a level I can cope with.

My wife and daughter are with me all the way,though I do feel I'm a burden sometimes.

The last infusion was a bit of a nightmare, they were short staffed at the hospital (surprise ! surprise!) and I was allocated a young male nurse to put the needle in my hand. He .was quite heavy handed and couldn't get the needle to stay in without slipping, prodding and prodding, without warning he really left me badly bruised on the back of my hand. Needless to say I will be steering clear of him next time. The young female nurse did it in a few seconds.

Also noticed that I feel hungry 24/7, must be the steroids. All in all I feel that we have a pretty raw deal over the year.

Kindest Wishes to you all.

Alan

Edited by member 09 Mar 2015 at 00:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 00:20

Aldee, I am sorry that it is all feeling so difficult right now - I am quite sure though that your wife and daughter think the world of you and would be horrified at the idea of you being a burden.

Re the sore mouth - are you freezing pineapple cubes to suck on during each infusion? Seems to work wonders for many.

Hang on in there,
Lyn

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 03:49
Alan

I am quite sure your Wife and daughter are naturally concerned for you and do not see you as a burden at all. Administering chemo or any other treatment that needs a canula can be literally hit and miss I can remember Mick having very definite favourite nurses in the chemo suite. He also had one experience of a nervous and inexperienced nurse who left him looking like he had been 5 rounds with Mike Tyson!

Are the nurses applying a warm pad for a few minutes before starting? this often helps to make your veins a little more prominent and if left applied throughout the infusion can reduce the bruising too.

Mouth ulcers are a common problem so it is a good idea to use a mild antiseptic mouthwash all through your treatment (the hospital can prescribe one if you ask them) the frozen pineapple cubes also help to prevent them and the unpleasant taste that chemo can leave you with.

I wish you all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 06:41
Hi Alan.

Sorry that round 2 has been a but more av a struggle, I am one in front of you so to speak, and have a few more side effects but nothing too bad. I do have a daily regime of corsadil mouth wash twice, hand cream on finger ends and nails, face cream around my nose and edge of lips and lip balm, all least twice a day. I am still running( ran 20 miles on Friday in 3-14 as part if my marathon training for 5 weeks time) and yes I remain slower and it takes more effort and mental resolve but I can do it so don't give up on walking your dog or beat yourself up if it's not brisk. I focus on the fact that there are only 6 chemo sessions and afterwards I will be a bit better, none of the side affects are long term.

I wish you well, feel free to pm me any time.

Kev

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 06:44

Alan

Sorry to hear you are not feeling great. As others have said I am sure your wife and daughter do not see you as a burden.

Re the canular, If they have further problems getting it in perhaps ask if they can put it into your arm (where they normally draw blood from) the vein is usually more prominent there

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 08:06

I know that your wife and daughter are loving you so be strong

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 10:39

Hello Alan,
Sorry to hear of your uncomfortable symptoms. My husband Tony has some of these but is luckier than most as his symptoms are very mild. He uses a mouthwash several times a day (a "sensitive mouth" one without alcohol in it) and also rinses his mouth with salt water regularly, which his dentist agreed was a good idea. He was told to use a soft toothbrush, so I looked for a soft replacement brush for his electric toothbrush. The only one I could find was a Disney-princess themed one, but he didn't mind: "With all the indignities I'm suffering, this is the least of my worries!".

Don't be too hard on yourself - exercise will help you feel better and stay strong, but keep it to a level that is comfortable for you. This is not for ever, it's just a few months. (Tell your dog he'll just have to be patient!).

Tony also finds that now he knows what to expect at each stage of the cycle it's not so daunting. Like you, he gets very hungry with the steroids, and we're trying to keep lots of fruit and veg handy, so that he doesn't pile on too much weight.

Maybe he's just lucky, but some of the things he's doing, which may be helping to combat the side effects, or the cancer (or neither! who knows?) are: avoiding dairy and using soy foods instead; eating nuts; drinking pomegranate juice and green tea; eating turmeric; eating broccoli and other green veg. And spending time on hobbies that he enjoys, getting out of doors whenever possible.

I'm sure your wife and daughter don't find you a burden and will want to do all they can to support you. They know it's only for a limited time, and hopefully the chemo will buy you some good quality time to spend with them when it's over.
Good luck!
Marje