I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What happens when it spreads to the spine?

User
Posted 15 Feb 2015 at 08:46
Hello :)

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a month ago. It has unfortunately spread to his groin area and his lymph nodes. There were also hot spots on his spine, so dad has had to have a second MRI specifically for the spine. I'm just looking for advice or any knowledge of what happens next if it spreads to the spine please? I'm so worried about it all and my mum refuses to talk about it until we know for sure. Thank you in advance :)

User
Posted 15 Feb 2015 at 13:46

Lizibet, it probably won't make any difference to his treatment plan - it is important for the doctors to know exactly where it has and hasn't spread so that they can monitor him in the future. It sounds like they are unsure whether the hotspots are cancer or old wear & tear / injuries so they may be quite small areas. Men with big tumours on their spine have to watch for certain symptoms because of a possible complication called spinal cord compression but I suspect that will be something your dad won't need to worry about for the time being.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Feb 2015 at 18:33
Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to the site.

I'm pleased you decided to post. You will receive a lot of support here from many others far more knowledgeable than me. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There's usually someone who is going through the same thing.

May I wish your Dad all the luck in the world for his treatment. I'm sure your love and support will help him cope with this.

Try not to worry (easy to say, more difficult to achieve) and keep posting.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 06 Mar 2015 at 20:14

Hi,

Your dad will be offered the same treatment regardless of where in the body the cancer has spread (as far as I am aware). My father also had a hotspot in his spine on diagnosis.

Hopefully, your dad's team will make him aware but you should get familiar with the symptoms of spinal cord compression, or SCC (as others have mentioned). It is a rare, but possible, result of tumours in the spine. We were not made aware and my father was diagnosed too late - the consequences have been life changing.

Good luck to your dad with his treatment,

K x x 

User
Posted 06 Mar 2015 at 22:33

Lizibet

Prostate cancer spread to the spine is still prostate cancer NOT bone cancer and as such it will respond to most systemic treatments. I don't have hot spots on my spine, it's basically full of full blown tumours (as are my ribs, shoulders, pelvis and femurs http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif). The good news is that I am still alive and perfectly well some 7 years after diagnosis http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif. Some of it is luck but mostly it's a faith in the doctors, new drugs and a great oncologist http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister