Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Spinal Cord Compression from Bazza

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 07:34
Hi

A couple of queries. Is it possible to get SPC even when you have absolutely no bone mets.

I have a long standing lower back problem and my back went suddenly on Monday, completely immobilising me. Usually, I take a week to cover enough to walk without discomfort. Today though is day eight since I ricked my back and I am in serious pain. It feels like trapped nerve pain or a split disc. I'm not sure what the pain of SPC is like. The bottom of my left heel is numb but there are no other symptoms. I'm thinking it's just my usual back problem but when you have Cancer, your mind wanders always to the possible negative causes.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 17:42

Hi Bazza.
Sorry to hear about your bad back and the pain you are in.
My husband hurt his back a couple of years ago and I have never ever seen him in so much pain and we've been together over 45 years, so I do understand how uncomfortable it is for you.

As it happened, it was the catalyst for finding his cancer so turned out to be good thing.

Hopefully one of the others with experience of SCC will be along soon to advise you.

Wishing you better anyway.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 18:16

Barry I equally don't know anything about SCC. However I do believe I read that it also causes tingling in the legs.

What's the GP said?

Bri

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:43

My OH did something similar to his back mid RT.

It was an absolute nightmare as the only way that he could stand us was to roll off the sofa, put hands just over knees and walk his hands up the front of his legs to straighten his back and stand up (the Dr saw him do this and from this manoevre diagnosed the bad back as opposed to the PCa which we were worried about too).

The Dr gave my OH Tramadol and high dose ibruprofen but it took a good couple of weeks to get back to normal.

Hopefully this back pain will be nothing to do with the PCa.

Have you seen the GP yet for some pain relief? My Oh was so bad I had to call for a home visit.

Hope you see some improvement soon.

Alison

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:45

" A couple of queries. Is it possible to get SPC even when you have absolutely no bone mets."

No, but you can get a compressed disc without P.Ca. causing such symptoms I'd suggest.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 21:24
Bazza I hate to say I know a bit about SCC but regrettably I do. No you cannot get an actual SCC without spinal mets or primary spinal bone cancer. There are generally warning signs of progressive weakness in the legs, numbness lack of co-ordination, pain, profuse sweating, inability to pass urine or faeces to name a few. It is critical that it is treated very quickly they can cause irreperable damage potentially resulting in paralysis loss of bladder and bowel control, inability to swallow and in the most extreme and thankfully rare cases death.

However there are many other injuries and conditions that can be very painful and very scary. Trapped sciatic nerve/lumbago, disc compression or "popping" alkalysing spondilitis, spinal cysts and spinal stenosis are a few that spring to mind.

That being said the potential progression of cancer should never be taken lightly or for granted. You should go to your GP and get this problem checked out ...really good question to have asked.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 21:52

Barry I have seen this on t'Internet. ..either way I'd definitely call the doc

Spinal cord compression develops when the spinal cord is compressed by bone fragments from a vertebral fracture, a tumor, abscess, ruptured intervertebral disc or other lesion. It is regarded as a medical emergencyindependent of its cause, and requires swiftdiagnosis and treatment to prevent long-term disability due to irreversible spinal cord injury

Chances are it's the creaking bones as we get older

Bri

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 23:36

Bazza, I like your new signature line. Go to the doctor x

Edited by member 18 Feb 2015 at 20:46  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 10:40

Bazza

Couple of pins at L4/5 in mid 70’s which as it was less than required 60% successful a second op was offered. As to me it was a good 90% improvement I declined op. At time of diagnosis (some version of the spond – family) I could touch my toes and quite mobile, walking up a slight slope was the issue. However their concern was nerves to bowel and bladder, not good news if they’re affected apparently, so had op done quickly. You will be aware we can put up the pain but don’t take chances on bowel etc.

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 09:52
Phew! Just my normal L5 S1 pain caused by a slight tear in the annulus fibrosis, a condition ive had on and off for many years. Am more mobile this week but still on drugs to cotrol inflammation and pain which is more bearable this week. About two more weeks of this pain then I'll be back to normal - my normal, that is. Thanks folks for your ever present support. Psychologically much better with an 83% drop in PSA to 0.3 as well. Now where's that travel brochure. Wishing everyone on the forum well. God bless you all.

Bazza

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 12:56
Fabulous news Bazza although I am sorry you have to suffer a bit longer with the pain. I hope you are planning one of your legendary breaks maybe to the Italian lakes or to somewhere even more exotic. I look forward to hearing all about them whichever.

best wishes as always

xx

Mo

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 14:06

Glad it turned out to be "ONLY" your normal back problem Bazza.
Still painful for all that though ain't it !!
I have L4/L5 problems and when it goes wow it's horrible.

Wish you better
All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails