I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Simple excercises?

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 23:21
During a recent telephone consultation with my GP he decreed that I am slightly overweight. He came to this conclusion by checking my weight records from previous well-man clinic check ups and his main concern was that I didn't get diabetes.

It annoyed me a bit because the telephone consultation was actually meant to be about something else (another story, bit long to explain). I also couldn't get a word in and he actually told me not to interrupt. He had his agenda, doubled my statin dose and advised me to exercise more and that was it. He couldn't get off the phone quick enough.

Since then I have been thinking about what he said and he is obviously right although I have hovered around 12 and a half stone for years and wonder why he didn't say anything before.

Anyway, I do agree I do need to do something and think if I lost a stone would be reasonable.

Currently I walk whenever I can and one evening a week I attend a local adult swimming class (I am trying to learn to swim - not there yet, but feel better for trying to do this). That is about it so I suppose I need to do more.

I am 5 foot 8 and not particularly big built. I do also have a slight tummy. I am not completely comfortable at the swimming pool so I keep covered as long as possible!

So this is the reason for my post - short of obtaining a gym membership, can anyone on the forum who are into keep fit recommend some simple exercises I could do at home please? Eg something like a press up? It would be good to tone myself up and it might help me feel better about myself.

I do have an old Bullworker gathering dust in a cupboard. I used that years ago and did have some success but pressures of life took over. Would it be worth getting this out again, bearing in mind I am now 62, or should I donate this to a local charity shop?

As always your advice, comments would be much appreciated.

Best wishes to all.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 02:04
Hi, I am appalled at your doctors advice. I am pretty fit and have been for years. The first thing I know is that you don't do anything radical overnight. The fact that you do something now is great and should be applauded. Forget the bullworker, you don't need muscle (muscle weighs more than fat anyway), just do what you are doing now, Ie walk. Walk a bit more and a bit faster perhaps(get close to being out of breath occasionally but never that it hurts) but that's it. I run lots and my training has always been never more than 10% than the week before so if u walked for 30 mins 5 times last week try doing say 35 mins this week and push it a bit for the Middle 10 mins. Listen to your body, if if hurts slow or stop. Also look at your diet (you didn't mention that), cut out as much fat as you can plus red meat and try to increase veg/fruit. Green tea is good once you get used to it as are walnuts, cooked tomatoes, pommegranate juice and broccoli/cabbage. You will be amazed what this does in 3 weeks. Also vitamin D. Both consultants and my GP agreed that this is the only supplement worth taking (unless you have a specific issue). Hope this helps, I have spent 5 years looking at General running nutrition which is very similar to prostAte needs, if nothing else everything in moderation us a good start point. Kev

Edited by member 21 Feb 2015 at 02:06  | Reason: Not specified

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 07:32

Riverweed,

walking is great exercise , start by doing what you can and build to an hour + a day , maybe included some jogging if and when you can and work up a sweat

I started doing yoga 10 year ago, its great exercise maybe not for burning calories but flexibilty, all over body strenth, core muscle's and balance, its also hard work. every week I'm surprised by how many 20-30 year old struggle and have to leave the class

for what its worth , I met someone at the gym recently, slim as a pencil, has ran 30 marathons, he suffered a blood clot at home not running I might add !, nearly cost him his life, but thats another story,   dont feel to guilty and do what you can to get reasonably fit.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 07:54

Great to hear you are attending swimming lessons, me too...I had to have hypnotherapy a few years ago to get over my phobia. I go to the gym 3/4 times a week and concentrate on cardio..I'm hoping once I'm confident in the water to do a few lengths after the gym

If you don't fancy the gym you could buy a Wii....These are quite good and the Wii fit games can give you a good workout right in the front of your TV. .

I'm no gp but you don't sound a classic case for developing diabetes at 12.5 stone...Having said that exercise is a great way to keep it at bay

Good luck

Bri

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 11:19

I can recommend swimming for keeping fit bit not necessarily for weight loss.  It hasn't worked well for me anyway since I put on weight while swimming 3 times a week and probably 50 lengths a session. Walking is a problem for me since I have other problems but I'm using the gym so hoping for some weight loss. Hard going though....just keeping it going after weeks of no success.

I believe weight loss is more to do with proper eating coupled with exercise rather than one or the other in isolation.

Good luck to you, don't over do it,

Steve

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 13:36

Never been inside a gym. No swimming pool nearby. Not run anywhere since a teenager.

Just general gardening exercise on good weather days; walking useful - as brisk as possible.

And eat less carbos ; more veggies and a better diet suited for P.Ca. ( Would not recommend walnuts though).

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 15:18

You have a gym already indoors.

The stairs are great for a workout. Just nice and gentle walk up and down a few times. Then

increase every week so that you don't overdo it but enough to make you slightly breathless.

Lifting a chair and repeats, press ups, stretches - all can be done without having to fork out for gym memberships.

The garden as Rob suggests is useful. Walking invaluable with maybe a little gentle jog for 150 paces then walk 15 minutes

then repeat but at no time overdo it. Nice and gradual. Try to do 2-3 miles per day. Build up gradually

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 15:27

Next time you put the kettle on, go to the foot of your stairs and step up annd step down the first stair until the kettle boils. Go slow at first and use the stair rail for balance. After a while you'll be able to increase your speed and move your arms as well.

After 3 minutes you'll be sweating and you'll have really deserved that cup of tea!

flexi

ps. for those with a quick boil kettle - add a couple of minutes!

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 18:03

Hi rivertweed - I also am 5'8" & 12 & a half stone - according to the charts this is not disastrously overweight. All the suggestions above + mine - cycling suits me, mentally and physically. Hope you find what suits you. The Borders is a lovely area for cycling.

All the best, Hugh.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 20:28

Hi Rivertweed,

Healthy diet, lots of fruit, go up a step with your walking.

I'm 69 and run and am currently trying skipping as well.
Swimming is best but it's so boring but you can get a waterproof Sony MP3 player which helps.
There's lots of park runs which can be fun or just group walks.
Join the U3a they organise lots of walking/cycling for softies or for toughies. It's really good in groups.

I think you just have to force yourself to do it.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Paul

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 19:06

Hi rovertweed,

I had a look at your bio before offering some thoughts for you to consider, the skipping may not be ideal to start with as it may cause you a bit of leaking due to the jumping up and down action. Also skipping may not be particularly good for your knees unless you wear good supportive shoes.

Gym membership can be bought quite cheaply at the moment due to the number of gyms competing for members generally. I was paying £50 a month at a health club, lovely kit, lovely fluffy towel given to you on entry, built in TV and radio and internet on the treadmills, beautifully tiled showers etc, a real chrome and carpet gym but with some serious kit. Having moved I am now paying £20 a month at a local authority gym, somewhat scruffy kit, bring your own towel, grubby showers. Hey ho, it works for me as it has all the kit I need. So you could join a gym for comparatively small amount, not any long term contract, then you might benefit from a personal trainer who would assess your needs and abilities and maybe devise a programme for you?

The issue with starting out from scratch, and forgive me assuming that you are not an ardent experienced fitness regular, is that without some quick results, which may well be achievable, you may get disheartened and lose the will to go on.

So, I would suggest looking at a local authority gym to get you going, with some personal trainer input to give you some ideas initially.

If you choose not to do that then I would consider what can you do that would be "low impact", does not jar you or your bones. Low impact = walking, swimming, rowing, yoga. High impact = road running, pounding feet on the pavement and shock transmitted through the feet to the ankles to the knee joints and hips.

Do you have any space at home for a treadmill, somewhere you can use it and watch TV or a DVD to while way the time? Tat way you get some exercise and keep the mind occupied?

What do you enjoy doing? Swimming is one of the best all round exercise, but if like me you swim like a house brick, that is not much fun.

So, if you want to lose weight, apart from diet you may wish to consider the rate at which you will exercise? What is you maximum heart rate? To work this out deduct your age in years from 220, it is not an exact science.

To lose weight, burn fat you need to be exercising at around 60 to 70%. Google "fat burning exercise heart rate", and you will see lots of information. You do burn fat working at a higher heart rate, working harder, but not so much fat.

Anyway, enough, I hope that this is of some use to you. Oh, and I once had a bullworker. LOL. On that building muscle is no bad thing, maybe you don't need to maybe you would like to? What would you airfare? At our age we none of us are going to be busting our shirts sleeves or bursting buttons any day now no matter how hard we train. ;-) I have no qualifications on training or diet, but at 57, having been training/working out for around 37 years and still reasonably fit I must be doing something right.

atb

dave

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 19:15

Oh, just remembered a couple of things I wanted to mention about some suggestions that have been made, that may help you.

Press ups: they work the shoulders and triceps mainly, but can put a strain on your lower back, particularly if you have not done them for a while, and if you are generously bellied? You can get around this by doing half body press ups, from your knees not your toes. Instead of the point of contact on the ground being your hands and toes, you kneel and do press ups from the knees, does that make sense?

It is very difficult to suggest an exercise regime for anyone without knowing what their stats are, ailments and physical quirks are, and seeing them, so whatever you do or try to do, DO LISTEN to your body and it if hurts STOP.

atb

dave

aged 57 and 1/3 and ignoring all my advice above and still pushing myself too hard too often and thinking and acting like a 30 year old in the gym. :-)

6 foot 15mm tall, and 15 stone 4kg ish

Edited by member 23 Feb 2015 at 20:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 20:16

I am actually 5' 8''myself, (I explained the 6' 2'' in a previous post!), and just under 13 stone. I have a slight paunch, but nothing untoward. I usually play golf 3 times per week, and I always make a point of walking quickly between shots to keep my heart rate up. (I also hate slow play and waiting!)

At 62, I consider myself to be of average fitness. I have tried the gym, but could never maintain enthusiasm for it. When I go shopping, I will use the stairs rather than an escalator or lift.

My wife will be retiring soon, and I will then try and encourage her to swim. It's not a favourite passtime of mine, but the are definite advantages.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 20:52
Hi Rivertweed

I was going to post last week but then had a moment when I thought I had nothing I could offer. I hope what I say will give you some encouragement though.

I am having a mid life ftness/fat crisis all of my own. years of neglect and a host of other things (most of them just excuses) left me with a big oversize problem. I had no idea at all where to start. My GP was sympathetic but just wanted me to join weight watchers, not for me I don't do all that "Yay Mo lost an ounce this week all say YAY" stuff. Then I saw an over fifties class being run at our new and very cheap (14.99 a month) gym. So I went along managed to do the first 45 minute classs without having a heart attack and loved it.

I have met a group of people who all help and encourage each other. I have progressed rather rapidly (quite chuffed about that) and now do 4 other classes a week, I have a personal trainer who has been brilliant he does not want me road running or doing high impact stuff because I have rheumatoid arthritis (in full clinical remission) and it could make that flare up. I have two personalised workouts and a host of little things I can do at home.

I started all this just before Christmas and even allowing for a rather naughty foodie and drink festive period have lost 10kgs, a lot of inches and 7% of my body fat. I have a very long way to go but for the first time in a very long while I feel physically so much better.

So take advice from those here as suits you best, any little bit you can do will help but bear in mind your illness and do not push yourself too hard too fast.

I wish you all the very best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 21:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Rivertweed
Then I saw an over fifties class being run at our new and very cheap (14.99 a month) gym. So I went along managed to do the first 45 minute classs without having a heart attack and loved it.
xx
Mo

You lied to get in then Mo, you minx.

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 22:05
Hi Rivertweed

Then I saw an over fifties class being run at our new and very cheap (14.99 a month) gym. So I went along managed to do the first 45 minute classs without having a heart attack and loved it.

xx

Mo

[img=http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif]

that is too funny ....

Edited by member 23 Feb 2015 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 09:59

Hi rivertweed,

Sorry if this answer is a bit late, but personally, I would suggest you DO dust off the old Bullworker and use it.  It's actually a great all-round exerciser and ideal for those who don't like the ambiance of gyms or just don't have the time to go there.  I've got one myself and go through spells of using it.  At it's best it's a relatively easy way to exercise in the privacy of you own home just about all the major muscle groups.  And it can be used very effectively for getting those ab muscles back into shape.

And, of course, the other thing is that it's quite compact.  I mean you don't end up with a room full of exercising kit, that used to be a bedroom or front room or whatever!  And if you go off of it for a while, you can just stick it away at the back of the wardrobe.

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 18:54

Good on you Mo..keep at it

Another good programme for people new to exercise is the couch to 5k programme sponsored by the NHS. You can download it as an app to use in the gym or 'on the road'. I would recommend it to anyone who fancies getting back into exercise

Just Google it

Bri

User
Posted 13 Mar 2015 at 21:49

Well, a Bullworker?

I had one many many many years ago as a lad, neigh, as a boy. Designed and sold by Gert F Kolbel. I remember the catalogue so so well. Do whatever works for you. Bulworker, go for it. Anything else, go for it.

But do something, OTHER than just sitting there.

atb

dave

User
Posted 14 Mar 2015 at 16:29
Rivertweed,

I am pleased someone can identify with my mid life crisis!

I have a modern day bullworker a set of resistance bands, they are the easiest thing ever and as I am going to be travelling and unable to go to my gym for a while they are coming with me. A combination of them, walking, swimming and a little beach running will do it for me just now.

I wish you well in your efforts and with your progress

xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 02:04
Hi, I am appalled at your doctors advice. I am pretty fit and have been for years. The first thing I know is that you don't do anything radical overnight. The fact that you do something now is great and should be applauded. Forget the bullworker, you don't need muscle (muscle weighs more than fat anyway), just do what you are doing now, Ie walk. Walk a bit more and a bit faster perhaps(get close to being out of breath occasionally but never that it hurts) but that's it. I run lots and my training has always been never more than 10% than the week before so if u walked for 30 mins 5 times last week try doing say 35 mins this week and push it a bit for the Middle 10 mins. Listen to your body, if if hurts slow or stop. Also look at your diet (you didn't mention that), cut out as much fat as you can plus red meat and try to increase veg/fruit. Green tea is good once you get used to it as are walnuts, cooked tomatoes, pommegranate juice and broccoli/cabbage. You will be amazed what this does in 3 weeks. Also vitamin D. Both consultants and my GP agreed that this is the only supplement worth taking (unless you have a specific issue). Hope this helps, I have spent 5 years looking at General running nutrition which is very similar to prostAte needs, if nothing else everything in moderation us a good start point. Kev

Edited by member 21 Feb 2015 at 02:06  | Reason: Not specified

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 07:32

Riverweed,

walking is great exercise , start by doing what you can and build to an hour + a day , maybe included some jogging if and when you can and work up a sweat

I started doing yoga 10 year ago, its great exercise maybe not for burning calories but flexibilty, all over body strenth, core muscle's and balance, its also hard work. every week I'm surprised by how many 20-30 year old struggle and have to leave the class

for what its worth , I met someone at the gym recently, slim as a pencil, has ran 30 marathons, he suffered a blood clot at home not running I might add !, nearly cost him his life, but thats another story,   dont feel to guilty and do what you can to get reasonably fit.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 07:54

Great to hear you are attending swimming lessons, me too...I had to have hypnotherapy a few years ago to get over my phobia. I go to the gym 3/4 times a week and concentrate on cardio..I'm hoping once I'm confident in the water to do a few lengths after the gym

If you don't fancy the gym you could buy a Wii....These are quite good and the Wii fit games can give you a good workout right in the front of your TV. .

I'm no gp but you don't sound a classic case for developing diabetes at 12.5 stone...Having said that exercise is a great way to keep it at bay

Good luck

Bri

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 11:19

I can recommend swimming for keeping fit bit not necessarily for weight loss.  It hasn't worked well for me anyway since I put on weight while swimming 3 times a week and probably 50 lengths a session. Walking is a problem for me since I have other problems but I'm using the gym so hoping for some weight loss. Hard going though....just keeping it going after weeks of no success.

I believe weight loss is more to do with proper eating coupled with exercise rather than one or the other in isolation.

Good luck to you, don't over do it,

Steve

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 13:36

Never been inside a gym. No swimming pool nearby. Not run anywhere since a teenager.

Just general gardening exercise on good weather days; walking useful - as brisk as possible.

And eat less carbos ; more veggies and a better diet suited for P.Ca. ( Would not recommend walnuts though).

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 15:18

You have a gym already indoors.

The stairs are great for a workout. Just nice and gentle walk up and down a few times. Then

increase every week so that you don't overdo it but enough to make you slightly breathless.

Lifting a chair and repeats, press ups, stretches - all can be done without having to fork out for gym memberships.

The garden as Rob suggests is useful. Walking invaluable with maybe a little gentle jog for 150 paces then walk 15 minutes

then repeat but at no time overdo it. Nice and gradual. Try to do 2-3 miles per day. Build up gradually

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 15:27

Next time you put the kettle on, go to the foot of your stairs and step up annd step down the first stair until the kettle boils. Go slow at first and use the stair rail for balance. After a while you'll be able to increase your speed and move your arms as well.

After 3 minutes you'll be sweating and you'll have really deserved that cup of tea!

flexi

ps. for those with a quick boil kettle - add a couple of minutes!

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 18:03

Hi rivertweed - I also am 5'8" & 12 & a half stone - according to the charts this is not disastrously overweight. All the suggestions above + mine - cycling suits me, mentally and physically. Hope you find what suits you. The Borders is a lovely area for cycling.

All the best, Hugh.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 20:28

Hi Rivertweed,

Healthy diet, lots of fruit, go up a step with your walking.

I'm 69 and run and am currently trying skipping as well.
Swimming is best but it's so boring but you can get a waterproof Sony MP3 player which helps.
There's lots of park runs which can be fun or just group walks.
Join the U3a they organise lots of walking/cycling for softies or for toughies. It's really good in groups.

I think you just have to force yourself to do it.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Paul

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 18:00
Thank you for your replies to my post. Your comments are much appreciated.

Please be assured that all your suggestions, tips, recommendations etc (diet and excercise) are being taken on board. I have made my goal and have made a plan and will report results in due time.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Best wishes.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 19:06

Hi rovertweed,

I had a look at your bio before offering some thoughts for you to consider, the skipping may not be ideal to start with as it may cause you a bit of leaking due to the jumping up and down action. Also skipping may not be particularly good for your knees unless you wear good supportive shoes.

Gym membership can be bought quite cheaply at the moment due to the number of gyms competing for members generally. I was paying £50 a month at a health club, lovely kit, lovely fluffy towel given to you on entry, built in TV and radio and internet on the treadmills, beautifully tiled showers etc, a real chrome and carpet gym but with some serious kit. Having moved I am now paying £20 a month at a local authority gym, somewhat scruffy kit, bring your own towel, grubby showers. Hey ho, it works for me as it has all the kit I need. So you could join a gym for comparatively small amount, not any long term contract, then you might benefit from a personal trainer who would assess your needs and abilities and maybe devise a programme for you?

The issue with starting out from scratch, and forgive me assuming that you are not an ardent experienced fitness regular, is that without some quick results, which may well be achievable, you may get disheartened and lose the will to go on.

So, I would suggest looking at a local authority gym to get you going, with some personal trainer input to give you some ideas initially.

If you choose not to do that then I would consider what can you do that would be "low impact", does not jar you or your bones. Low impact = walking, swimming, rowing, yoga. High impact = road running, pounding feet on the pavement and shock transmitted through the feet to the ankles to the knee joints and hips.

Do you have any space at home for a treadmill, somewhere you can use it and watch TV or a DVD to while way the time? Tat way you get some exercise and keep the mind occupied?

What do you enjoy doing? Swimming is one of the best all round exercise, but if like me you swim like a house brick, that is not much fun.

So, if you want to lose weight, apart from diet you may wish to consider the rate at which you will exercise? What is you maximum heart rate? To work this out deduct your age in years from 220, it is not an exact science.

To lose weight, burn fat you need to be exercising at around 60 to 70%. Google "fat burning exercise heart rate", and you will see lots of information. You do burn fat working at a higher heart rate, working harder, but not so much fat.

Anyway, enough, I hope that this is of some use to you. Oh, and I once had a bullworker. LOL. On that building muscle is no bad thing, maybe you don't need to maybe you would like to? What would you airfare? At our age we none of us are going to be busting our shirts sleeves or bursting buttons any day now no matter how hard we train. ;-) I have no qualifications on training or diet, but at 57, having been training/working out for around 37 years and still reasonably fit I must be doing something right.

atb

dave

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 19:15

Oh, just remembered a couple of things I wanted to mention about some suggestions that have been made, that may help you.

Press ups: they work the shoulders and triceps mainly, but can put a strain on your lower back, particularly if you have not done them for a while, and if you are generously bellied? You can get around this by doing half body press ups, from your knees not your toes. Instead of the point of contact on the ground being your hands and toes, you kneel and do press ups from the knees, does that make sense?

It is very difficult to suggest an exercise regime for anyone without knowing what their stats are, ailments and physical quirks are, and seeing them, so whatever you do or try to do, DO LISTEN to your body and it if hurts STOP.

atb

dave

aged 57 and 1/3 and ignoring all my advice above and still pushing myself too hard too often and thinking and acting like a 30 year old in the gym. :-)

6 foot 15mm tall, and 15 stone 4kg ish

Edited by member 23 Feb 2015 at 20:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 20:16

I am actually 5' 8''myself, (I explained the 6' 2'' in a previous post!), and just under 13 stone. I have a slight paunch, but nothing untoward. I usually play golf 3 times per week, and I always make a point of walking quickly between shots to keep my heart rate up. (I also hate slow play and waiting!)

At 62, I consider myself to be of average fitness. I have tried the gym, but could never maintain enthusiasm for it. When I go shopping, I will use the stairs rather than an escalator or lift.

My wife will be retiring soon, and I will then try and encourage her to swim. It's not a favourite passtime of mine, but the are definite advantages.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 20:52
Hi Rivertweed

I was going to post last week but then had a moment when I thought I had nothing I could offer. I hope what I say will give you some encouragement though.

I am having a mid life ftness/fat crisis all of my own. years of neglect and a host of other things (most of them just excuses) left me with a big oversize problem. I had no idea at all where to start. My GP was sympathetic but just wanted me to join weight watchers, not for me I don't do all that "Yay Mo lost an ounce this week all say YAY" stuff. Then I saw an over fifties class being run at our new and very cheap (14.99 a month) gym. So I went along managed to do the first 45 minute classs without having a heart attack and loved it.

I have met a group of people who all help and encourage each other. I have progressed rather rapidly (quite chuffed about that) and now do 4 other classes a week, I have a personal trainer who has been brilliant he does not want me road running or doing high impact stuff because I have rheumatoid arthritis (in full clinical remission) and it could make that flare up. I have two personalised workouts and a host of little things I can do at home.

I started all this just before Christmas and even allowing for a rather naughty foodie and drink festive period have lost 10kgs, a lot of inches and 7% of my body fat. I have a very long way to go but for the first time in a very long while I feel physically so much better.

So take advice from those here as suits you best, any little bit you can do will help but bear in mind your illness and do not push yourself too hard too fast.

I wish you all the very best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 21:14

Hi Rivertweed
xx
Mo

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 22:05
Hi Rivertweed

xx

Mo

[img=http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif]

that is too funny ....

Edited by member 23 Feb 2015 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 09:59

Hi rivertweed,

Sorry if this answer is a bit late, but personally, I would suggest you DO dust off the old Bullworker and use it.  It's actually a great all-round exerciser and ideal for those who don't like the ambiance of gyms or just don't have the time to go there.  I've got one myself and go through spells of using it.  At it's best it's a relatively easy way to exercise in the privacy of you own home just about all the major muscle groups.  And it can be used very effectively for getting those ab muscles back into shape.

And, of course, the other thing is that it's quite compact.  I mean you don't end up with a room full of exercising kit, that used to be a bedroom or front room or whatever!  And if you go off of it for a while, you can just stick it away at the back of the wardrobe.

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 18:54

Good on you Mo..keep at it

Another good programme for people new to exercise is the couch to 5k programme sponsored by the NHS. You can download it as an app to use in the gym or 'on the road'. I would recommend it to anyone who fancies getting back into exercise

Just Google it

Bri

User
Posted 13 Mar 2015 at 21:14
Thank you again for your words of encouragement and advice. This is much appreciated.

I have tried to be more disciplined in my walking and diet but despite my best efforts I am still hovering 12 and a half! I have decided to re-focus on just toning myself up (by whatever method I can) and if I lose a few pounds that would be a bonus. I also have plenty of home jobs coming up (window cleaning, gardening etc) that will add to my exercise regime.

Just for the record I am taking things steady and building up slowly! I do still get quite tired so I have to be realistic.

My weekly swimming class is continuing and I am quite enjoying these and haven't got bored yet.

Other forum members seemed to be going through great challenges at the moment so my issues are quite trivial in comparison. So I am most grateful for taking the time to offer support to me.

Sending my best wishes to all.

PS I can relate to your mid life crisis comments Mo!

User
Posted 13 Mar 2015 at 21:49

Well, a Bullworker?

I had one many many many years ago as a lad, neigh, as a boy. Designed and sold by Gert F Kolbel. I remember the catalogue so so well. Do whatever works for you. Bulworker, go for it. Anything else, go for it.

But do something, OTHER than just sitting there.

atb

dave

User
Posted 14 Mar 2015 at 16:29
Rivertweed,

I am pleased someone can identify with my mid life crisis!

I have a modern day bullworker a set of resistance bands, they are the easiest thing ever and as I am going to be travelling and unable to go to my gym for a while they are coming with me. A combination of them, walking, swimming and a little beach running will do it for me just now.

I wish you well in your efforts and with your progress

xx

Mo