I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

6 months in........

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:01

I am a former manager of health services who had never needed to use them before. I have to say that it has been a revelation and not always in a good way........

I am now 6 months after diagnosis and have been pursuing non-invasive treatment at UCLH following an "interesting" service provided by my local hospital. I see prostate cancer as just another challenge that needs to be dealt with and cope by making sure that I stay in control of as many aspects of my NHS journey as possible. I keep a blog, something I would recommend to all, and update it regularly. The blog is part therapy for me, part keeping friends up to date and part providing a resource for others. However it is viewed, and for whatever reason, it is designed to be a decent read, occasionally funny and with some tips on how to get the best out of the NHS. You might like to take a look and see what you think; comments or direct emails are always welcome.

http://yelstedman.blogspot.co.uk/

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:01

I am a former manager of health services who had never needed to use them before. I have to say that it has been a revelation and not always in a good way........

I am now 6 months after diagnosis and have been pursuing non-invasive treatment at UCLH following an "interesting" service provided by my local hospital. I see prostate cancer as just another challenge that needs to be dealt with and cope by making sure that I stay in control of as many aspects of my NHS journey as possible. I keep a blog, something I would recommend to all, and update it regularly. The blog is part therapy for me, part keeping friends up to date and part providing a resource for others. However it is viewed, and for whatever reason, it is designed to be a decent read, occasionally funny and with some tips on how to get the best out of the NHS. You might like to take a look and see what you think; comments or direct emails are always welcome.

http://yelstedman.blogspot.co.uk/

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 00:27

Hi Phil,

I suppose the "protocol", amongst other things, is used for the benefit of patients who might not fully understand procedures and to protect a hospital from potential claims because a patient might argue afterwards that the clinicians should have known better than to agree to the patient's wishes. When having the standard EBRT for PCa, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to get more than 74 gys as a treatment in the UK, ie the NICE recommended dose (37 fractions each of 2gy) even though a higher dose has been shown to give better results, albeit with an increased risk of worse side effects. I did ask before opting for a higher dose in Germany.

Whatever shortcomings there may be in NHS hospitals, most people are aware that many hospitals are being overwhelmed - just too many patients and not enough buildings, staff or funding. It must be very difficult for organisers to cope. Derriford Hospital is an example shown on TV today as being on 'Black Alert', the highest level. 800 operations cancelled in January with a similar total expected in February. They expect heavy fines but I can't see how this will help. I expect I am preaching to the converted in saying that massive resources need to be put into the NHS if there is to be a significant improvement.

PS I only got 2 letters notifying the same appointment at UCL!

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:28

Hi, Yelstedman,

Took a quick log at your blog which I found most interesting.
Especially so because I am due for a visit to UCLH. It will be a first visit although as you may see from my profile I've already traveled a bit down the PCa route.

Best wishes,

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 17:18

Hi Y(er) man,

Welcome to the forum,

Not read your blog yet but will do so later. UCL (UCLH) seems to be highly regarded, has some leading consultants and latest equipment. Can't say their administration from patient viewpoint is great as there seems to be no overarching person who coordinates what is happening for an individual. For example, I was given an appointment for a PET Choline Scan and a Bone scan at overlapping times on the same day and these scans should not even be done on the same day!
After I pointed this out the Bone scan appointment was rearranged. But I think administration could be better in other hospitals too. I had to correct my histology as supplied to UCL by the Marsden. Just goes to show that you need to check all aspects with hospitals.

Hope your treatment is successful

Edited by member 24 Feb 2015 at 21:02  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 21:29

Thanks for the welcome chaps; looks like the three of us have an interest in UCLH. As you have evidently discovered Barry, the administration can leave something to be desired (in common with every hospital I have ever come across), but the clinicians have an excellent reputation and have published some very interesting articles. That being said, the adherence to protocol without reference to people's choices / preferences can be a bit irritating. The other week, I had to fight in order not to be sedated for a biopsy as I had no desire to hang around partially insensible to recover sufficiently to travel home.............seemed bonkers to me that sedation was the default rather than an option, but that is their "protocol"!

Glad you enjoyed the blog Dave, I will be updating it as and when things happen. Next appointment is on the 4th, but I will probably post some musings on their appointment system after receiving 3 letters for the same appointment!!

All the best

Phil

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 00:27

Hi Phil,

I suppose the "protocol", amongst other things, is used for the benefit of patients who might not fully understand procedures and to protect a hospital from potential claims because a patient might argue afterwards that the clinicians should have known better than to agree to the patient's wishes. When having the standard EBRT for PCa, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to get more than 74 gys as a treatment in the UK, ie the NICE recommended dose (37 fractions each of 2gy) even though a higher dose has been shown to give better results, albeit with an increased risk of worse side effects. I did ask before opting for a higher dose in Germany.

Whatever shortcomings there may be in NHS hospitals, most people are aware that many hospitals are being overwhelmed - just too many patients and not enough buildings, staff or funding. It must be very difficult for organisers to cope. Derriford Hospital is an example shown on TV today as being on 'Black Alert', the highest level. 800 operations cancelled in January with a similar total expected in February. They expect heavy fines but I can't see how this will help. I expect I am preaching to the converted in saying that massive resources need to be put into the NHS if there is to be a significant improvement.

PS I only got 2 letters notifying the same appointment at UCL!

Barry
User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 23:25

Hi Barry,

This could turn into quite a conversation! Having seen the NHS from the inside and tried to change bits of it, I stepped out as the inefficiency is institutionalised and intractible without a major change in culture; I am convinced that putting more resources in will not resolve the problems, but may buy politicians enough time to get to the next election! After my latest biopsy, the doctor asked me what they would do to improve things, expecting me to say "more resources". He was a bit surprised when I gave him a very different answer i.e. give people choice. There are a whole load of things that need to be done in the NHS, but treating people as partners in their care rather than asuming that they are unable or unwilling to make informed decisions or take risks would be a quick "win". In the case of my (second) biopsy, I was more than willing to risk a little discomfort in return for being able to leave quickly; unfortunately I had to be quite assertive as this flew in the face of their assumptions

Somewhere there may be someone who has only received one letter per appointment from UCLH............

Phil

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 01:01

UCLH must be quite organised ...... I got 6 identical appointment letters from our local hospital last month. When I showed the receptionist, she said she had put every one of them in the envelopes and should have noticed. No kidding :-0

Barry, John had 20 fractions at 3Gy as part of the CHHIP trial without any major problems and Mr B told us at the last appoitment that the data is indicating that fit men can withstand a much higher dose than previously thought and without any significant increase in side effects. He said they already knew that 60 or 66gy delivered over a shorter period has the same cumulative effect as the 74Gy over 37 days. Isn't science wonderful?

Edited by member 26 Feb 2015 at 06:15  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 06:18

Agree Lyn, I had 3.2 gys delivered over 20 days and sailed through...touch wood 18 months on and no side effects

Brian

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 21:15

I was offered a place on the CHHIP trial, though whether a man was on the 19 or 20 higher dose fraction or on the standard arm of 37 fractions each of 2gy is randomly selected by computer. It did introduce me to the idea though that there was a possibility of more diversity and I began to research all treatments. I would have thought by now that the success of the higher dose regime in terms of PCa treatment and reduced set up times would have meant that it had become more generally adopted but things move slowly in the UK and perhaps more experience of long term evaluation is wanted. On a formula that I have not been able to follow, the fewer higher dose regimes are said to equate to the more lower fractions dose in impact if not by numerical total. What I meant earlier was that the standard 37 fraction of 2gy could not be increased to say 40 fractions of 2gy making a total of 80gy which was confirmed to me when I asked this of the Marsden.

As regards hospital resources and the use thereof, Phil has been in a good position to access this from the inside and I believe better use of resources could if thoroughly undertaken bring savings which could perhaps be used to employ more staff and or better equipment. However, even with resources more effectively used and a cultural change in attitude of some staff, I don't feel this of itself would make sufficient improvement to bring many hospitals up to a good standard that would be comparable with many continental hospitals or some of the major UK ones.

I had a small procedure done on my leg yesterday in Devon, (nothing to do with PCa but was done without any aesthetic and was more painful than anything I have ever experienced.) The doctor was a foreigner who took about 3 times as long to read my notes and grasp them as somebody very familiar with English. Then there was a long draw out question and answer session punctuated by clarification on his part and mine. No wonder waiting times in A&E are so long if this is typical.

Edited by member 26 Feb 2015 at 21:16  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 18:05

Hi Folks.

Interesting that UCLH sent out multiple appointments.

What sort of response time do they have? I've been waiting two weeks for some sort of response since my consultant referred me to a consultant there. I hesitate to chase it up too soon as for the last week or so I've been convincing myself 'It's going to be in tomorrow's post'.

Mind you, I hesitated a month before querying the delay in a scan request before chasing it up and then when I did, I found my consultant (or his secretary) hadn't gotten around to sending the request off. Not best pleased especially as I am self-funding (a situation that will soon change as I can be more tolerant of NHS )

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?