I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any advice on hormone therapy options and clinical trials - Hormone therapy (HT / ADT / IMHT),clinical trials

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 14:02

Hello,

My dad went to the doctors with back ache 5 weeks ago (the day after his brother's funeral who died suddenly of pneumonia) the has metastatic prostrate cancer which has spread to his bones (spine and ribs so far).  He was put on  Bicalutamide 150mg. He had his first consultant appointment yesterday who said his PSA was 2,215.  He took another blood sample and called today to say it was down to 703...after just 5 weeks.

The consultant arranged a second appointment in 4 weeks time to move onto an injected hormone therapy.  We don't know what and the appointment was less than 5 minutes.

My dad won't look at a thing about cancer so I'm trying to educate myself on it all.  I am not sure what would be the best option for him now - to have a combined approach of the anti androgen and the newly introduced injection which I suspect will be a LHRH analog or for him to come off that and just take the other one even though this one seems to be working for now.  I think I read that the initial anti androgen will counter the testosterone flare caused by the LHRH which is particularly important with patients whose prostrate cancer cells have spread to the spine.  Also, should he be looking into clinical trials and does anyone know any good ones?

Thanks and apologies for my ignorance! I'm new to this.

Swifty

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 16:40

Hello

Sorry to see you here, but you are in the right place for advice.

I only have a few minutes to type but.....

I am sure that someone will come along shortly with more detailed information, but I would recommend downloading the tool kit from this site as it is very informative.

I would also recommend researching the STAMPEDE trial as I believe that this is for men with advancing and metastatic cancers and involves the latest drugs available.

What seems like a minefield of information at the moment will become clearer and you will then be a great support for your Dad, which will be just what he needs.

Best wishes

Alison

Edited by member 25 Feb 2015 at 16:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 20:54

Swifty

Normal procedure would be to go with an LHRH injection plus or minus 50mg Biculatamide (Casodex). Personally I would be looking to get access to Enzalutamide (MDV3100), as recent data suggests there are benefits to early administration.

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/summary/2014/enzalutamide-prostate0614

The STAMPEDE trial is worth looking at as both Enzalutamide and Abiraterone are possibilities (although so is a placebo). Check out my profile http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 06:59
Sorry you find yourself here Swifty.

I don't know enough to give you medical advice but I do know your support to your father is and will be invaluable, there are many stories on this site of sons, wives, daughters who through their perseverance have produced a better outcome for the one with PC so please keep in doing what you are.

I wish you and father all the best.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 10:45
Hi Swifty, i was diagnosed over 5 years ago with widespread mets to bones and lymph nodes. I took part in the STAMPEDE trial and recieved h/t, chemo and Zometa.Although my psa has slowly risen again to 12 at last test my last scan showed that the tumours on lymph nodes had disappeared and there had been no progression on bone mets. I think the trial helped me and would advise your dad to think hard about taking part if possible. Good luck and God bless

Edited by member 26 Feb 2015 at 10:47  | Reason: Not specified