I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My family

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 19:44
MY dad has been diagnosed with aggressive advanced prostrate cancer he was given news yesterday that the cancer has burst through the prostrate and he was also told he has a bad heart which shocked us all ! He was also told that the body scan had shown up hot spots on his spine and now cannot go onto the drug trials . His PSA through the last year is between 69 and 80 but the doctors have taken a year to find this cancer they knew something was amiss but took lots of biopsies but found nothing until the last time then we had the shock news prostrate cancer . Does anyone know what the outcome could be for him as we are not being told much , I just need to understand this condition better
User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 22:37

Hi Chloe,

Firstly welcome to this sight you will get lots of help and advice and sometimes just a shoulder to lean on. I know this all seems really bad news at the moment and no it isn't good news but there are so many new treatments that can help your Dad.

We are coming up in May to 2 years since Trevor was diagnosed (you can click on any name including mine) to get peoples profiles our diagnosis was pretty poor and like your Dad Trevor also has heart issues and extensive spread to bones and lymph nodes but he is feeling good and more importantly still here to tell the tale. My point is when we hear those awful words we all think the worst but many men not just Trevor can and do have many years with the treatments ahead of them . If you click on Alathays 7 years on you will see a story of hope.

I hope this has helped you .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 08:59

Hello Chloe and welcome

Diagnosis is a shock, even when you half expect it. To hear those awful words fill you with dread.
As Julie says, there are many on here that are like your dad.

We are always directing people to this site's Toolkit a set of leaflets/booklets which deal with diagnosis and treatments.

Go back to the home page, then Publications . You can either download them or ask for hard copies.

Don't despair, ask away ANY questions you may have, I guarantee somebody will know what you are talking about.

If nothing else, we are here for virtual hugs and support.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 10:07
Thankyou both so much for your support it means a lot . We will get through but I think it was the shock . I will down loads the publications so I can read them to understand what's happening I panic because of hot spots on spine as I take it those will develop into cancer eventually but as I see on here we are not alone x x
User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 11:01
Hi Chloe,

Sorry that you're going through such a difficult time at the moment.

I just wanted to thank you for joining our community. I'm sure you will get tremendous support here. I've certainly found that to be the case.

Members here have been through every aspect of this dreadful disease and can usually provide answers to any questions you might have. They can give support even if you are feeling down because everyone here cares for each other.

Keep in touch.

Steve

Edited by member 27 Feb 2015 at 11:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Feb 2015 at 20:30
It's hard. I know exactly how you are feeling. Be strong. X