I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Huffington Post PCa article

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 16:54

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/03/what-does-prostate-cancer-feel-like_n_6107988.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk5%26pLid%3D333766

follow the link.  Nothing outrageous in the article.  Just one person's views and their choices.

May help someone?

dave

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 23:12

Cheers Dave. ..good perspective...

Iv'e decided 25 year old son doesn't need to.worry himself about this yet...but as he approaches 40.. I want him to be fully aware

Bri

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 00:00

I have 2 daughters, which means that they could both be susceptible to breast cancer.

They are 30 and 26. When should I warn them to be tested as screening doesn't start till they're older? Are they only in danger past the same age as for PCa in men.

There is no history of breast cancer on either side of my family, but my dad has PCa, and his dad had his removed in an emergency operation.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 09:02
I read the article with interest, and I think you are absolutely right to share it Dave. so thanks for that.

This man was one of the lucky ones, he had a Dad that made him aware of the risks, he went and got tested even though he had no symptoms, the PCa was diagnosed early, his choice worked almost perfectly for him, he thinks everything is as good as it can get.

Happy Man so a nice story and when you are trying to promote awareness then people need to read happy stories. I can live with that even though it is not the total reality.

I do wonder should there also be some more public awareness of the darker side of this disease? I would be sad to think public perception from this would be "there you go it is a piece of cake" it kind of degrades all that Mick and others who were not so fortunate had to go through or are still going through.

Anyway the one point it does make well is if you have a family history of this disease it makes sense to go and get tested. I have encouraged Mick's son to, he is 41, he knows what he needs to and now the decision is his. He and my Grandson are already aware of the need to be careful about their diet and to be tested if symptoms present for diabetes due to the long family history, so I think my grandson will also be told anytime soon about his hereditory risk of PCa, although he reads LAD mags and sees all the media so I hope his generation will be far more aware than ours or previous ones were.

As for sending Daughters or female family and friends for screening for Breast/Ovarian cancers then that is a far more complex question. It is my understanding that only some strains of PCa are thought to be caused by BRCA2 gene, I have shared the information I have gleaned from research and familial history with Mick's daughter and now she will decide if she wants to take it further.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Mar 2015 at 11:08

Just had a quick read of this....

Interesting to read one persons account of the 'process' from diagnosis through to treatment and recovery.

Any article which can help raise awareness has got to be a good thing....

The one thing that jumped out at me reading this was how it all seemed to be 'a walk in the park' with recovery time  and side effects all minimal, not to mention the emotional impact to an individual and his family.

Of course many will have a similar recovery timescale and experience........ but the reality is, many will not be so fortunate.