Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Surgery offered me a potential cure

User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 16:53

Robotic Surgery offered me a potential cure

My consultant recommended that I have the Robotic Surgery (Robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy) to remove the entire prostate due to the fact that my cancer was aggressive (Gleeson 8) but was contained within the prostate. This also meant that it would be non-nerve sparing and that I would also need a lymph node dissection. By now I had time to review all of my options and the consequences, none of which sounded very appealing such as; erectile problems, urinary control and apparent shortening of the penis due to the removal of the prostate gland, but they were obviously more appealing than the more final alternative. I therefore agreed that the Robotic Surgery would be my best choice as it offered me a potential cure.

I arrived at the City Hospital as arranged for my Robotic Surgery using the ‘da Vinci Surgery Machine’ to remove my prostate, seminal vesicles and a lymph node dissection. The whole event was over very quickly from my perspective as after a brief meeting with the surgeon and the anaesthetist, I was changed into a gown and sitting in the pre-op room; the next thing I can remember is waking up in the recovery room talking to my wife on the telephone then shortly after I was on the ward and eating some lunch. There was no pain but just some minor discomfort as I had six incisions in my abdomen that were sealed with glue; a lymph fluid drain coming out of the right side of my abdomen which was removed prior to being discharged from hospital and a catheter fitted that would be removed after 10 days. The catheter was a bit awkward as there was also a bag attached to my leg that needed to be emptied frequently. I remained in hospital for two nights and can say that the NHS hospital staff are amazing and I was very well looked after.

Scrotal / Penile Swelling

This actually sound like a joke were a guy with scrotal / penile swelling says to the nurse “Can you do something about the pain but leave the swelling” but here I was five days after surgery when I woke to find that my scrotum had swelled to the size of a small football and by lunch time my penis had also swollen. There was no pain but it was just uncomfortable. I was obviously a bit worried, so I called the hospital contact number that I had been given for some advice. I was told that was not abnormal and is not a cause for serious concern but they asked me to come back into the hospital to be checked out by a doctor. I was told by the doctor that the post-operative lymph fluid that was being slowly absorbed by my body had followed the force of gravity and ended up in my scrotum but should return to normal after a week or so. I left the hospital the same day with a scrotal support and also found that wearing supportive underwear (briefs, not boxer shorts) also helped. The swelling went down after a week.

Catheter removal and incontinence

The catheter was removed after 10 days during a brief visit back to the Nottingham City hospital. The removal is not painful and was over in about 2 seconds. I was then asked to drink some water and would be discharged when I had urinated into a measuring cup three times. I was informed previously that I would be incontinent after the operation but I felt my bladder fill up and I produced my first urine sample into the measuring cup and everything felt normal as did the second sample. The third sample was very different however, as when I felt my bladder begin to fill, I had no ability to control the flow and just made it to the toilet to fill up the measuring cup. Luckily I had come prepared with some absorbent pads which saved any embarrassing wet patches. I can only describe the incontinence as being like a dripping tap that is completely out of my control. I am doing my pelvic floor exercises religiously but after the first week I was using about five absorbent pads per day and after the second about four per day and am now currently on 2 per day after 1 month. I have a visit to the incontinence nurse to help improve my situation. I must admit that the incontinence is getting better as each day passes.    

User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 22:33

Very good update that I am sure will help.others.

Hopefully the histology and post op PSA will be good

Bri

User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 23:40

Well done on your incontinence recovery. You have probably recovered a little more than I had at that stage, but am comfortably on one pad per day 11 months post op.

An update on your recovery and ED recovery will be a help to others. I try and update on my threads when there are significant changes.

Keep up the good recovery.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 08:04

Hope you will get better. Good luck and thank gor interesting information.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 10:43

Sounds as though you are well on the way to making a swift recovery.... 

I never had a drain fitted for some reason but had 6 incisions.....

You should be very encouraged by the fact that you are only using 2 pads a day just  a month after surgery..

Hopefully your histology results and subsequent PSA level will be equally as encouraging.

Best Wishes
Luther

User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 10:30

Hope that this type of surgery will help you and you will be cured. Good luck.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 22:33

Very good update that I am sure will help.others.

Hopefully the histology and post op PSA will be good

Bri

User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 23:40

Well done on your incontinence recovery. You have probably recovered a little more than I had at that stage, but am comfortably on one pad per day 11 months post op.

An update on your recovery and ED recovery will be a help to others. I try and update on my threads when there are significant changes.

Keep up the good recovery.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 08:04

Hope you will get better. Good luck and thank gor interesting information.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 10:43

Sounds as though you are well on the way to making a swift recovery.... 

I never had a drain fitted for some reason but had 6 incisions.....

You should be very encouraged by the fact that you are only using 2 pads a day just  a month after surgery..

Hopefully your histology results and subsequent PSA level will be equally as encouraging.

Best Wishes
Luther

User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 10:30

Hope that this type of surgery will help you and you will be cured. Good luck.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2015 at 17:51

Hi Cyclerunner. Your experience was similar to mine. I elected to have the prostate removed by the da Vinci robot and which I am now comfortable with. I had an incontinence problem for a week after the catheter removal but matters have improved much since then. I can say I am not 100% continent but feel I am at least 95% on course and if I do not progress further I can live with this.

I am now back to my normal routines and have found out it has not really affected my main hobby of long distance backpacking. I was operated in April, did my stint of convalescents until June 1st and I then hiked and camped 90% of Offas Dyke Path from Chepstow. No problems other than a blister on my big toe and now that I am home it has boosted my confidence to do more soon.