I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First post for advice

User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 18:11
Hello everyone. I have read many of your threads and admire your humour in the face of adversity.
My oh was dx with adv pc spread to lymph nodes, seminal vesicles and bones in October 2012.
He was started on decapeptyl injections at 3 monthly intervals. After eight months the psa began to rise
And the urologist transferred us to the oncologist. He then began docetaxel chemo. Side effects weren't too bad
Fatigue and taste. We didn't get to ten cycles as by eight the psa was on the up again. After a short break to enable us to have
A holiday and for the chemo to leave his system he went onto enzalutamide. Wow it was brilliant 2 weeks no pain and psa down from 220 to 8.
Now eight months have passed and the psa is on the rise again and aches and pains back. We go to the onc on Tuesday and know that
The next treatment will be abi or Cabazataxel. These are the only two options left.
Does any one have any experience of either of these any advice would be so welcome.

Joy xx
User
Posted 08 Mar 2015 at 23:20

Hello Joy,

I don't have any experience of chemo ( just about to start Abbi) chemo for us has been ruled out because of Trevor's heart problems but we have had a similar diagnosis , spread to bone and lymph nodes and I just wanted to let you know that I understand the rocky road that you are on. 

We were diagnosed in 2013 so you are Old Timers .http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 00:00

There may be another option, alphadin or Radium 223 (I think) which works best when the Cancer is active which sadly it sounds like it is for you OH. Hope you get more options from your onco. I am on this road and was diagnosed in 2012 too but still on HT though next stages get nearer. Keep in touch and talk to us here there are many with lots of in depth knowledge, support and advice.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 00:14

Hi mch,
I think you will find this thread helpful - this was a fantastic guy (sadly no longer with us) who willingly acted as a testing ground for Cabz during the pilot phase.

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t7820-Cabbage-Club----------------Cabazitaxel#post7820

Also, if you put cabazitaxel in the search box, you should find posts from Val, Rob and others

Edited by member 09 Mar 2015 at 00:17  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 07:05

Hello mchjoy and welcome.

There is a lot of help on here, even if only listening ears when it all gets a bit too much.

There are members going down the same road as yourselves who will have helpful knowledge and advice.

Good luck to both of you.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 08:05

Be strong and get better. This forum is really great and helps moraly. 

User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 13:16

Welcome to our world Oakshield

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 18:13
Thank you all for the replies. I will search in the box. These psa numbers are so strange. I did find out on our last visit to onc that it is the velocity that indicates activity. My oh is doubling in 3 months which isn't good. I will post after visit on Tuesday. Stay strong everyone xx
Joy
User
Posted 09 Mar 2015 at 19:16
Hi Joy,
Welcome. Sorry to hear that your OH's PSA is on the rise, here's hoping that your oncologist will suggest one of the ideas you have or others have mentioned here. If it was me, I think I'd rather have abiraterone before Cabazitaxel but I'm a wimp and it's not my choice. It certainly works differently from enzalutimide so no need to assume it won't work.

A couple of our members have had second rounds of doxataxel but perhaps they did manage all their allocated original chemo, though one friend did 8 sessions only as Scorland does 8 not 10 (so they told me).

Good luck to you
Love Allison