I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Experiences

User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 20:03
I've just finished my RT after six and a half weeks. I had my prostate removed last year but the PSA hadn't gone down enough, hence the RT. I had 66 Gray over 33 sessions

My treatment was at Hereford hospital - they only have one machine in a unit which opened last year so I was very lucky Not to have to go to Cheltenham every day as had to be done before last year. So it was 10 miles each way rather than 35. I did have to go. 3 times to Cheltenham as the machine was not working in Hereford.

The radiotherapists were delightful with a lot of banter re England and Wales rugby with a bit of Irish thrown in! I did suffer on the Monday after England had lost and Wales and Ireland had won! There's a small circular waiting room and everybody was very friendly - either PC sufferers or ladies with breast cancer. I felt very happy to have finished today but sad to say goodbye to all my new friends

To the treatment itself- you don't feel anything and it's all over very quickly, although slightly longer on the odd day when they were taking scans. I got into a routine as my appointments were nearly all early morning. Get up, the usual bowl of porridge, skip the normal cup of tea, drive to Hereford to arrive 40 minutes before the appointment time and have 4 cups of water after emptying one's bladder. This meant a comfortably full bladder during the treatment and emptying straight afterwards. I did have 3 occasions when treatment was delayed and my bladder was over-full. The last time was at Cheltenham when there was a 35 minute delay with no prior warning. I had to get off the treatment bed half way through as I couldn't contain it. I had to go back to the waiting room, have 2 more cups of water and go back in 20 minutes later. This time I just managed to hold on!

Side effects - I haven't been tired and all I've had has been an irritable bowel which is pretty standard. I get a lot of wind and sometimes empty my bowels up to 6 times a day which can be quite uncomfortable but not the end of the world. They gave me review meetings every 2 weeks the last being today. I was advised to try peppermint oil capsules which are effective at suppressing wind and settling things down - I'll see how they go.

Next will be a PSA test in May when I go back to see the oncologist followed by the urologist in June

My experiences were pretty much shared by the other PC friends I met

User
Posted 14 Mar 2015 at 09:23

Hi,

most men seem to come through RT as you did though some do have more severe/extensive side effects. Subsequent PSA tests help show how effective the RT has been but you will not know this for many months over which the RT is working. If HT is also ongoing, this will likely lower the PSA more quickly. So it's a matter of having to wait and see. Hope it works well for you.

Barry
User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 21:36
Update November 2015

I had my psa test last Thursday - 0.021 down from 0.028 4 months ago and saw the oncologist today who said he'd see me in 6 months time

RT finished last March - still regular as clockwork bowel movements 1st thing when I get up and then again an hour later after taking the dog for a walk. Both are quite urgent and very loose but I'm happy to live with that. Urine flow and urgency seems to be deteriorating over the last month or so - could well be a thickening of the urethera post RT. I have to go 4 times every night. Decided with the oncologist we'll leave it for the moment - could go for tamsulosin or a reaming out. I'm not sure I fancy the 2nd option as I'd worry about any incontinence having been pretty much bone dry since the prostatectomy.

The really good news having been told natural erections would be very unlikely after the RP and then RT, is that I started getting them in July ( a year after RP). They're not as good as pre op but I feel they're improving with time. I've used the pump and also muse pellets with success in the past - whether this has contributed to my rehab, I don't know. I'm off to Thailand next month so that should be a test!!