I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any more Tips for Chemo??

User
Posted 12 Mar 2015 at 21:44

Dad is due to start Chemo next Friday (20th March).  He will be starting Docetaxel every 3 weeks with Zoladronic Acid every 6 weeks.  I have been following other people on the forum's journey through the Chemo and am feeling very positive.  I have picked up many tips via this site which is brilliant but wondered if there are any other things he should know. 

I already know about Pineapple cubes, mouth wash, hand cream, face cream and lip balm.

Can anyone else drop me any hints or tips as to anything else I can get for him, as I see no harm in being prepared for various side effects.  I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you x

Rachel

User
Posted 13 Mar 2015 at 14:59
Hi Rachel,

So glad to read that your parents enjoyed their holiday, it is so important to make the most of every day.

I had 8 cycles of docetaxel last year, my main side effects were fatigue and loss of taste. Everyone's response will be different. I had a bad two days starting on day 3 or 4, but bed rest was sufficient and I was ok for the last two weeks of each cycle. I had last cycle in August 2014 but still feel the after effects, with fatigue and continued change to taste buds.

Pineapple chunks are definitely a good idea. I also got benefit from ice lollies.

I didn't need hand, cuticle creams.

My PSA went down for a while then went back up and my chemo was stopped after 8 cycles.

I hope it goes well for you and your father.

All the best

Martin

User
Posted 13 Mar 2015 at 19:10
Hi Rachel, I have had 3 of 6 sessions of docetaxl, the 4th is due next Tuesday. I can honestly say apart from a bit if feeling sick I have had no bad side affects. I still run, did 20 miles in one go last week, 10 on Thursday and this Sunday I will do 22 in prep for a marathon. I think I have been lucky but keeping active and eating well are key in my opinion. I may crash nd burn next week for all I know but for now absolutely fine. I hope your dad's goes as well or better than mine! Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 13 Mar 2015 at 19:59

Hi Rachel

My biggest problem was taste buds, everything tasted of rubber for around 4 days, the only thing that tasted ok was ice cream.

Hope everything goes as well as possible

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 14 Mar 2015 at 16:13
Rachel

the hospital will give your Dad a good briefing when he goes in for the first chemo along with a chemo record book. That has a lot of very useful information in it and a page a bit ike a trouble shooting chart which is in green, amber and red status. That is something you should familiarise yourself with.

I went out and bought a good quality electronic thermometer, Infection is one of the important things to watch out for and having a raised temperature is a classic symptom.

I wish your Dad and of course you and your Mum all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Mar 2015 at 17:01

Not everyone suffers a loss of taste - my husband Tony has only experienced this for a day or two, with oranges and water being the things that tasted odd.
Other tips: a soft toothbrush to protect the gums. No visits to the dental hygienist. For any outdoor tasks or anything that's likely to chafe the skin and scrape the nails, protective gloves are good. It's also best to try to avoid dirty cuts and grazes, so as well as wearing gardening gloves, he lines them with a pair of those disposable latex (or similar) gloves. No washing up! And for the inevitable hair loss, I've just bought him a sunscreen spray specially for hair and scalp use (Superdrug own brand), which can be used while the hair (such as it is) is regrowing.
And in a more general way, he'll be helped by anything that encourages him to keep up whatever pursuits and interests he enjoys. This could be going out to the pub, to concerts, country walks, hobbies, time with friends etc. Sometimes people feel they should keep away, but company is cheering and helps us feel normal, so do encourage friends and family to spend time with your Dad, so that he doesn't feel he's an invalid.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2015 at 18:16

Thank you so much everyone for your replies.  They have all been very helpful and uplifting.  Dad's chemo starts tomorrow so fingers crossed all will go well.  I will keep you all updated.

Rachel

User
Posted 20 Mar 2015 at 11:44

Hope all goes well for your Dad.