I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

CT vs contrast CT

User
Posted 15 Mar 2015 at 19:03
My husband has lung to ours plus nodules? And also a small amount of PCa in his pelvi. He has been monitored by regular scans but now has a letter saying that his next appointment would be a contrast CT. I just wondered what the difference was tbetween that and a standard scan and why. It has been about two year since his lung tumour was found after a break from hormone therapy but no growth after re starting hormone therapy. He also had his prostate removed 8 years ago and that was followed by a bout of. Radiotherapy. I am very worried about this last development but he won't talk about it says not to worry . I guess it is because I had a stroke last year so he is protecting me.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 13:54

Hi Judi,

I have had CT scans with and without 'contrast', the last one within the last couple of weeks. In this recent case the purpose of the scan was to help decide whether the pain in my chest was due to a blood clot or a chest infection which fortunately was the latter. A line is put into the patient, usually in the hand or arm. At an appropriate time as the scan progresses 'contrast' is fed through the line and the patient is likely to be warned that they may feel a sense of warmth though their hands and arms (As I did). The sensation does not last for long. The 'contrast' helps give better definition to the scan. Incidentally, MRI can also be given with or without 'contrast'.

Hope result is good.

Edited by member 17 Mar 2015 at 20:42  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 16:19

Hi Judi,
it seems to me to be responsible health care to run different tests every so often rather than do the same thing over and over. Try not to worry about it - maybe the hospital just got a new machine :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 13:54

Hi Judi,

I have had CT scans with and without 'contrast', the last one within the last couple of weeks. In this recent case the purpose of the scan was to help decide whether the pain in my chest was due to a blood clot or a chest infection which fortunately was the latter. A line is put into the patient, usually in the hand or arm. At an appropriate time as the scan progresses 'contrast' is fed through the line and the patient is likely to be warned that they may feel a sense of warmth though their hands and arms (As I did). The sensation does not last for long. The 'contrast' helps give better definition to the scan. Incidentally, MRI can also be given with or without 'contrast'.

Hope result is good.

Edited by member 17 Mar 2015 at 20:42  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 16:19

Hi Judi,
it seems to me to be responsible health care to run different tests every so often rather than do the same thing over and over. Try not to worry about it - maybe the hospital just got a new machine :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard