I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Proton therapy option for PC - Radiotherapy (EBRT / IMRT / Proton)

User
Posted 19 Mar 2015 at 20:06
I have posted on here once before about the proton beam treatment option for prostate cancer.

Whilst there has been a lot of scepticism in the past about its effectiveness some recent result over a 5 years study prove pretty conclusively it works. I am fortunate enough to know the management at the Proton centre in Prague, who treated the much publicised case of Aysha King.

The clinic have been receiving prostate cases from all over the world and thus far all have been successful. I myself am in the category of maybe cancer maybe not. High PSA but inconclusive even on MRI? I shall be going to Prague and will update on here at a later stage.

I would point out the treatment is expensive 16 k in early stages up to 30k if advanced. Having said that the same treatment in USA is three times more expensive.

Here is a link to the results: http://www.proton-therapy.org/documents/ProstateSurveyRelease2014.pdf

Another link: http://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016%2813%2903310-5/abstract

Good luck to all.

John

User
Posted 20 Mar 2015 at 11:41

Hi, Good Luck with your treatment, would be interested  to hear results. El.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2015 at 19:58

A lot for you to think about John.

I would want to know if I had actually got PCa or not before embarking upon any treatment.

Would certainly be worth a consultation in Prague to see what they say.

Good luck and best wishes.

Alison

User
Posted 26 Mar 2015 at 12:58

Pleased to read recently that the young child that was taken to Prague for Proton Beam treatment is doing very well. Members will recall how his parents had an international arrest warrant slapped on them because they wanted this option rather than the RT they would have had in the UK. RT to the head is quite risky, indeed it led to the death of a cousin of mine as damage is caused on the way to and from the target. With Proton Beam the damage is almost entirely concentrated on the target only. A great advantage for head cancers in particular. Proton Beam should in theory also be superior to RT for Prostate Cancer but what advantage it may have there has generally been reported as less marked.

Barry