I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I wonder

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 09:03
I've been thinking for some time now about whether I did have some pre diagnosis symptoms. I've always claimed I didn't have any symptoms and my dx was made as part of a check up for something else. This latter part is right as I visited the GP about another potential problem.

However, whilst I didn't have any of the well publicised symptoms eg urination problems, ED etc, I did have lots of aching particularly in the flank areas. I remember in 2008 the dull ache was particularly bad one morning. I had to leave work and literally vomited as I drove up the A1. I took a week off work and didn't bother the GP. I would Google to see what it was but PCa never popped up on the screen. Everything else did.

I then had this aching on and off right up until my prostate was removed.

I did ask the urologist when first dx if there was a connection but he said unlikely. I too thought it couldn't be related as the liklihood was that it would have killed me had it been cancer. But as we now know it can be a slow growing cancer and I now wonder if my body was screaming out at me and, as we men often do, I ignored this.

I did mention it to a GP in passing when I went about a reflux problem and she said it would probably be muscular.

If it was PCa related, which I now think it may have been. It would mean this cancer was 4 or 5 years old at dx

Bri

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 09:42

Hi Bri

We too often think about "what if..." and wonder whether we should have acted sooner upon possible symptoms.

My OH only went to the GP because he was getting up now and again in the night to urinate, and seen as I was having a baby, he wanted to make sure that he was okay before the little one arrived.

We look at photos and think....he had it then.

It is so difficult to come to terms with (whatever that means!).

I suppose that we just have to be thankful that we know about it now and are doing something about it.

The alternative may mean a few more years of blissful ignorance but then......

Best wishes

Alison

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:19
Hi Bri

I think you are probably doing what is absolutely natural and normal, rationalising.

I racked my brains as did Mick many, many times to think if he had any pre signs. In truth he did we both just thought it was diabetes causing them.

Anyhow the question will probably always be with you but the answer will never be really known. Hindsight is sometimes not such a wonderful thing.

Take care my friend I know it is test time about now so I will be rooting for you as always

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:35

Bri, you can drive yourself mad thinking what ifs? But it won't change where you are today, an embryonic musician with the likelihood of years of future ahead of you. If you had been diagnosed at a different time you may not have been the inspiration behind the Newark Group, and you would probably still be thinking could I have recognised it even earlier?

In part you are right that men, in general, do not engage in well being exercises often enough. But neither do the medics think preventatively either preferring to fire fight symptoms in front of them. The advances in medicine have often come from preventative measures and that is so true of Cancer where early diagnosis will help more survive.

The fact is we are where we are and you have your check up due. Relax and we are all hoping you have continued good news. I shall be thinking of you.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 17:32

Bri I just wanted to say that this is going to be a fabulous week for you and your wife, full of Birthdays quite literally and I am sure the psa will be the icing on the cake.

So much to celebrate you won't know where to start, http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 18:40
Hi Bri, firstly I hope all goes well with everything tomorrow and of course beyond.

I too had a pre dx and other symptoms sign I think but never thought of it as a problem. Whenever I had sex, there was always a dull ache somewhere where I now know my prostAte to be. It was there for maybe an hour and by then I was usually asleep!!! Like you I am not sure doc would have said anything. I still get frustrated that on dx my doctor said " did no one tell you to have a check up before as your father has PC?", seeing as the same doc is my dads and mine plus he had by then been seen over 50 times in 10 years by various oncologists/urologists it just makes me sad/mad.

Bring on June for many many beers!

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 19:48

Looking forward to sharing a drink in June Kev.

I find it so frustrating to read posts like yours. I so hope your GP has learned from your situation. I would say in any other industry it's a competence/capability issue but I always get told off for that on here. Oops done it again ;-)

Bri

Edited by member 23 Mar 2015 at 19:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 19:50

Good luck tomorrow Brian. Hope all goes well for you.
The bonus of Evie-Lily too. !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 22:46
Hi Bri

Good luck for tomorrow I am sure everything will be ok and you can rest easy for another few months.

Roy

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 22:48

Hope all goes well with the test and results Brian.

dave.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2015 at 08:08

Just to add to what others have posted, have a fantastic week, Bri !

Fiona. x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 09:42

Hi Bri

We too often think about "what if..." and wonder whether we should have acted sooner upon possible symptoms.

My OH only went to the GP because he was getting up now and again in the night to urinate, and seen as I was having a baby, he wanted to make sure that he was okay before the little one arrived.

We look at photos and think....he had it then.

It is so difficult to come to terms with (whatever that means!).

I suppose that we just have to be thankful that we know about it now and are doing something about it.

The alternative may mean a few more years of blissful ignorance but then......

Best wishes

Alison

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:19
Hi Bri

I think you are probably doing what is absolutely natural and normal, rationalising.

I racked my brains as did Mick many, many times to think if he had any pre signs. In truth he did we both just thought it was diabetes causing them.

Anyhow the question will probably always be with you but the answer will never be really known. Hindsight is sometimes not such a wonderful thing.

Take care my friend I know it is test time about now so I will be rooting for you as always

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:35

Bri, you can drive yourself mad thinking what ifs? But it won't change where you are today, an embryonic musician with the likelihood of years of future ahead of you. If you had been diagnosed at a different time you may not have been the inspiration behind the Newark Group, and you would probably still be thinking could I have recognised it even earlier?

In part you are right that men, in general, do not engage in well being exercises often enough. But neither do the medics think preventatively either preferring to fire fight symptoms in front of them. The advances in medicine have often come from preventative measures and that is so true of Cancer where early diagnosis will help more survive.

The fact is we are where we are and you have your check up due. Relax and we are all hoping you have continued good news. I shall be thinking of you.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:52

Cheers guys...Thankfully the thought is not worrying me as in all honestly I would not have expected my GP to make the connection. I certainly didn't and put it down to getting older.

I think the main reason for my post was to provoke discussion/ thought and hopefully raise awareness.

When I think about what Mick and you went through Mo and your dx Paul plus all my other friends on here I consider myself a fortunate unfortunate :)

I have a lot to celebrate this week...my son's birthday today..so a lovely meal out tonight and our first grandchild (Evie-Lily) is due tomorrow. I so hope the celebrations will be complete with a good consultation tomorrow

Bri x

Edited by member 23 Mar 2015 at 10:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 17:32

Bri I just wanted to say that this is going to be a fabulous week for you and your wife, full of Birthdays quite literally and I am sure the psa will be the icing on the cake.

So much to celebrate you won't know where to start, http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 18:40
Hi Bri, firstly I hope all goes well with everything tomorrow and of course beyond.

I too had a pre dx and other symptoms sign I think but never thought of it as a problem. Whenever I had sex, there was always a dull ache somewhere where I now know my prostAte to be. It was there for maybe an hour and by then I was usually asleep!!! Like you I am not sure doc would have said anything. I still get frustrated that on dx my doctor said " did no one tell you to have a check up before as your father has PC?", seeing as the same doc is my dads and mine plus he had by then been seen over 50 times in 10 years by various oncologists/urologists it just makes me sad/mad.

Bring on June for many many beers!

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 19:48

Looking forward to sharing a drink in June Kev.

I find it so frustrating to read posts like yours. I so hope your GP has learned from your situation. I would say in any other industry it's a competence/capability issue but I always get told off for that on here. Oops done it again ;-)

Bri

Edited by member 23 Mar 2015 at 19:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 19:50

Good luck tomorrow Brian. Hope all goes well for you.
The bonus of Evie-Lily too. !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 22:46
Hi Bri

Good luck for tomorrow I am sure everything will be ok and you can rest easy for another few months.

Roy

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 22:48

Hope all goes well with the test and results Brian.

dave.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2015 at 08:08

Just to add to what others have posted, have a fantastic week, Bri !

Fiona. x