I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dairy free tips

User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 17:45
I'm not particularly advocating a dairy free diet, but my husband has chosen this path, so here are a few things we've discovered about dairy free options:
Dairy free marg-type spreads are pretty good, e.g. the Pure range.
Soya milk works fine in cooking and in coffee .... but there are several versions of the common brands of soy milk. Some have added calcium, which is probably a good thing. Some are sweetened, which may not be what you want. Some are sold from the chiller cabinet along with fresh milk, while others have a longer shelf life and are sold elsewhere in the store. In our experience, they taste similar, but while the long-life ones curdle in coffee, the chilled ones don't.
There are also nut drinks sold alongside the soya milks. They taste quite pleasant and are low in calories.
Soya cheese is pretty revolting. Ours ended up on the bird table, and we saw a bird shaking its head in disgust after trying some.
Trex makes good pastry and is dairy free, as is some of the ready-bought pastry.
Some dark chocolate is dairy free, and I once made some scrummy vegan chocolate brownies.
Ice cream: Sainsbury and possibly other stores sell a dairy free frozen dessert called Swedish Glace, in a black carton, which is like ice cream, and very nice.
Alpro soya yogurts are OK. The texture is slightly gloopy but they're not bad. Just beware, the natural one is slightly sweet and vanilla flavoured, so no use for savoury cooking.
Hope this helps some who are planning on a dairy free diet.
Marje

Edited by member 31 Mar 2015 at 21:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 21:17

Hi Kev,
Yes, Tony considered Pommi-t but decided just to get the constituent parts of it separately (pomegranate juice, loads of green tea, broccoli, turmeric in capsules and in food). My list above sounds as if we eat nothing but soya, but we are also eating lots of veg such as broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, etc, and T eats tinned sardines (with bones) several times a week, and plenty of nuts and seeds. It's a very healthy diet apart from the wine and beer, but what's the point in trying to extend your life if you remove all the treats?

And well done you, entering a marathon - you must be doing something right!

Marje aka Piglet

User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 22:50

Piglet, I agree with everything in your first post. I use the Alpro to make custard as well, and John has never even noticed. He also has the plain Alpro yoghurt on muesli and enjoys it, which is a miracle as it took me a long time to persuade him to try it.

Irun, you may be right about too much processed food but on the basis that research tells us soya inhibits PCa, I am not too worried about how they make it. Shocking admission!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 20:59
Hi piglet, thanks for this.
I have massively reduced my dairy but I have read a few bits about soya in big volumes not being good ( soya us massively gm ie processed in part). I also read about spreads in general being processed and as such not always great.
I am no dietician but I have opted for vegetables to get my calcium, I have also discovered a supplement called pomm-t No idea if it works but the research makes sense to me in terms of its made from the actual stuff ( pommegranate, green tea, broccoli). Who knows but I think it's healthy for this forum to pit things out there and then make up your own minds. There is not enough research into effects on people with PC so I think if it makes me feel more content for trying something then it's worth it.
Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 21:17

Hi Kev,
Yes, Tony considered Pommi-t but decided just to get the constituent parts of it separately (pomegranate juice, loads of green tea, broccoli, turmeric in capsules and in food). My list above sounds as if we eat nothing but soya, but we are also eating lots of veg such as broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, etc, and T eats tinned sardines (with bones) several times a week, and plenty of nuts and seeds. It's a very healthy diet apart from the wine and beer, but what's the point in trying to extend your life if you remove all the treats?

And well done you, entering a marathon - you must be doing something right!

Marje aka Piglet

User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 21:55

Thanks Piglet, there were things there that I was unaware of.
For instance, we used Soya milk long before John's diagnosis because of me, but we always have the long life.
It curdles in coffee so I end up using Complement or suchlike which isn't healthy. It's not so bad for John though as he has gone off coffee quite a bit, and tea now as well so is drinking a lot of pomegranate and cranberry drinks.

He doesn't consider himself a picky eater but he really is. He isn't veggie orientated like me and "suffers" broccoli" baked beans and peas but that's about it.

Agree about the Soya cheese. I can just about have a go at anything but that really wasn't a good thing to try.

The Soya yoghurts we find quite good although we stick to the flavoured kind.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 22:50

Piglet, I agree with everything in your first post. I use the Alpro to make custard as well, and John has never even noticed. He also has the plain Alpro yoghurt on muesli and enjoys it, which is a miracle as it took me a long time to persuade him to try it.

Irun, you may be right about too much processed food but on the basis that research tells us soya inhibits PCa, I am not too worried about how they make it. Shocking admission!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 07:08

The only reason I stick to longlife Soya is because it's Tesco organic version and at one stage was cheaper than Alpro. Not too fussed about organic in general, although I would prefer it but if it's cheaper then I go for it.

I've never made custard with it Lyn as I didn't think it would work. I'll try that.
Wonder if it would work in Angel delight type desserts for the occasional treat?
Anyone tried it?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 07:55

Tofutti cream cheeses are nice in a sandwich, such as with smoked salmon or pickled cucumbers and tomatoes (Mrs Elswood's pickled cucumbers ... mmmm).