Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Good or Bad?

User
Posted 01 Apr 2015 at 19:26
Hello everybody

I'm now 3 months into the Stampede Gp J trial with Abiraterone and Enzalutamide .

My HT started with Prostap about 2 weeks before.

Besides the hot flushes and sickly stomach plus bit of tiredness I would say its bearable

I still am running ok and am up for the Leeds Half Marathon in May for MEN UTD.

However over the last 2 (2 weekly) blood tests my Liver Function test for ALT has risen to 247 (spec is 0 to 40) and I've been told by the Stampede team to stop taking the Abi and enzo tablets.

I looked up ALT (alanine transaminase) and the only relevant thing generating this can only be the tablets.

I often wondered if taking 3 strong medications is a bit over the top for the body to accept.

I'm supposed to now go onto weekly blood tests and have one on Thursday.

I might be off the trial and back to just the Prostap

I'm not sure this is good or bad for me because Abiraterone & enza are possibly my next port of call after the Prostap stops working.

I don't know if anybody has any experiences which might help me here

Paul

User
Posted 02 Apr 2015 at 08:47

Can't help with your enquiry Paul but bumping your post for you in case it's been missed
Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Apr 2015 at 19:16

Hi, sorry can't help as my OH is on Zoladex, plust Enzalutamide only, and doing ok (touch wood)! See my profile. Hope someone else can help with comments about taking both the drugs together though.

Take care

Glen

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 12:09

Well things have moved on a bit.
I stopped taking the Enzo and Abi on 30 March.
My next blood test on 2 April showed the ATS up from 247 to 302.
I then went off on holiday but had a blood test done in France on 10 April. The ATS was down to 131.
My PSA has continued to go down.
Having stopped taking the Enzo and Abi I do actually feel a great deal better. Less tired and no feeling of weight in my stomach.
My running is also easier.
Not sure what happens next though

User
Posted 17 Apr 2015 at 01:12

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to wish you well in your treatment (and your running).

Keeping fighting all the way.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 13:08

Hi Paul

I've had a similar experience, but been taken of the abiraterone much more quickly. I started the trial just under 4 weeks ago and a blood test after two weeks showed a rise in the ATS to around 90. This meant that I had to have another blood test the following week and as that showed ATS at over 200 I was told to come off the abi immediately, but continue with the enzo.

Last week I had a further blood test which showed the liver function returning to normal (down to 105) and was given a choice by my consultant - either go back onto a lower dose (750 rather than 1000mg) of abi, or come off abi altogether and continue with the ADT and enzo. Apparently this is an option for arm J.

I had no side effects on the two drugs together, in fact I have slightly more aches and pains now I'm back down to one (although that might be because of different exercise or a thousand and one other variables).

As my consultant explained, because of the new NICE guidelines I can't have both Abi and Enzo in the future, so coming off one now might be a blessing in disguise - I get the Enzo now, but as that's part of a trial I can have Abi at a point before or after chemo once the hormones stop working.

User
Posted 07 May 2015 at 18:17
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Paul

I've had a similar experience, but been taken of the abiraterone much more quickly. I started the trial just under 4 weeks ago and a blood test after two weeks showed a rise in the ATS to around 90. This meant that I had to have another blood test the following week and as that showed ATS at over 200 I was told to come off the abi immediately, but continue with the enzo.

Last week I had a further blood test which showed the liver function returning to normal (down to 105) and was given a choice by my consultant - either go back onto a lower dose (750 rather than 1000mg) of abi, or come off abi altogether and continue with the ADT and enzo. Apparently this is an option for arm J.

I had no side effects on the two drugs together, in fact I have slightly more aches and pains now I'm back down to one (although that might be because of different exercise or a thousand and one other variables).

As my consultant explained, because of the new NICE guidelines I can't have both Abi and Enzo in the future, so coming off one now might be a blessing in disguise - I get the Enzo now, but as that's part of a trial I can have Abi at a point before or after chemo once the hormones stop working.

Hi armiston

I've just spotted your reply

This is exactly what's happened to me except the choice of dropping one of the drugs. I just got "ATS is now ok now so restart on 3 tablets."

Could you explain again what you mean about re about your comment it might be a blessing in disguise if one comes off a I because it could be restarted later when ht starts to fail.

Cheers

Paul thanks although I have talked about it I still think it's too much yeah and said it's an option in the trial that you can now should come off one of those to Blacktown but try