I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in urine bag

User
Posted 03 Apr 2015 at 10:58
Hi all. I had a laperascopic prostatectomy on 30th March 2015. In hospital 2 nights.First night home woke up tachacardic in the early hours. Trip to A+E. Noticed blood in the catheter bag and a sample taken indicated there was an infection. Put on antibiotics. Second day on these and there is still blood in the bag although not as concentrated. Feeling drained and lethargic this morning which is a shame because I sat up for about 10 hours yesterday. Other than this feeling ok. No one warned me about the scrotal bruising. No pain just discomfort and paracetamol help.

Anyone had a similar experience or words of wisdom

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 11:05

The blood is because of the operation, not the infection.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 16:02
Just phoned out of hours and they contacted the lab for me and the culture showed no infection so it must be post operative.
User
Posted 05 Apr 2015 at 12:16
Hi Paul

With regard to "not opening bowels for a week", I had a similar problem after my op back in 2012.

The first time was quite a challenge as I was worried that if I strained too hard the catheter would come out. I couldn't actually sit on the toilet either so I had to stoop. I laugh about this now but at the time it was quite distressing.

I found that Senna took the night before made me want to go and lactulose softened the stools to make them easier to pass. It was about 5 days after my op that I eventually went and what a relief! I filled the pan! After that I was quite regular and it became easier. I still had to stoop though until the catheter was removed, which was 10 days after op.

I hope this helps and isn't "too much information".

Wishing all the best with your recovery.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 17:39
Cheers Luther, I know it's early days so finger crossed.
User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 19:58

Paul

Not sure if you are getting free pads or just need more.  Google incontinence service  to see if there is one in your area (look for the NHS ones), although the hospital sorted mine pre op, the clinic told me I could refer myself to the service as long as my GP was in the region.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Apr 2015 at 21:59

Paul

As always if in doubt get it checked out.

I had the Da Vinci op and had the bag and catheter for twelve days, the urine was Red for a few days and still Rose colour after twelve days. 

Ring the ward you were discharged from they should be giving you some back up.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 10:11
Chris,

Thanks for that. The urine has gone back to normal so I can only presume the antibiotics are kicking in. They are making me feel a bit drowsy but that could also be the infection.

I hope you are going well.

Paul

User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 10:42

Good morning Paul and sorry that you find yourself in the same situation as I was I October last year. As already mentioned the blood in the urine/catheter may well hang around for a few days to a week or so but that does seem fairly normal. I too developed an infection a week after the operation and found myself back in hospital for a few days on intravenous antibiotics to deal with a very nasty infection in one of my testicals. The scrotum went very black and I was doing a very good John Wayne impression, couldn't sit down! Hope the antibiotics start to do the job soon.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 11:05

The blood is because of the operation, not the infection.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 12:33
Thanks everyone. I hope your right Lyn the blood has returned.
User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 13:18

You may find the P.C.U.K. fact sheet "Surgery: radical prostatectomy" useful and quite re-assuring regarding the blood in your cath. bag. Prior to my surgery I was warned of the possibility of heavy dark bruising appearing to both the penis and scrotum two to six days post op, typical appearing  overnight, I was so glad that I had been warned, on day five I woke up feeling rather sore and feeling as my genitals were being stretched.  When I had a look, both my scrotum and penis were a dark plumb color and the scrotum about twice its normal size, if I had not been warned I think I would have freaked out!. The good news is that the bruising and swelling have cleared remarkably quickly, green and yellow after one day and mostly faded after 4 days.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 16:02
Just phoned out of hours and they contacted the lab for me and the culture showed no infection so it must be post operative.
User
Posted 04 Apr 2015 at 20:06

Good News about the infection, how is the bruising going?

User
Posted 05 Apr 2015 at 10:02
Hi Bernard,

Just had a good look at myself in a mirror. Bruising on both sides of my midriff. Testicles still a lovely shade of bluey black but not as swolen. Not opened bowels for a week. Tried senna and glycerine suppositories. Waiting for G.P. visit. Given some great advice by telephone nurse last night to lessen the overflow from the catheter when on the toilet. Put my feet on a stool in front of me and although still lost some blood it was not as much.

Edited by member 05 Apr 2015 at 10:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2015 at 12:16
Hi Paul

With regard to "not opening bowels for a week", I had a similar problem after my op back in 2012.

The first time was quite a challenge as I was worried that if I strained too hard the catheter would come out. I couldn't actually sit on the toilet either so I had to stoop. I laugh about this now but at the time it was quite distressing.

I found that Senna took the night before made me want to go and lactulose softened the stools to make them easier to pass. It was about 5 days after my op that I eventually went and what a relief! I filled the pan! After that I was quite regular and it became easier. I still had to stoop though until the catheter was removed, which was 10 days after op.

I hope this helps and isn't "too much information".

Wishing all the best with your recovery.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2015 at 13:34
Thanks for that. I know the anxiety of not wanting to strain. The G.P. has been out to me this morning and has prescribed Movicol. Hopefully this will do the trick.
User
Posted 05 Apr 2015 at 16:42
Paul

Are you keeping active? By active I mean walking around the garden at least not doing a marathon, keeping active apparently keeps the motions softer and makes passing that first motion easier. No straining ! Knees up is good advice, I also tried sitting on the loo and twisting side to side that also helped, but no straining !

Passing that first motion will be a great relief.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Apr 2015 at 19:52
Thanks Chris,

I am getting about a little. Up and down stairs to empty the bag and into the kitchen for drinks. This has been my best day so far and I have not felt as lethargic. I have been sat up and pottering for 10 hours but I am giving in and going to bed the tiredness has drifted over me. I have had two Movicol now. I think once I get a result I will feel better.

Paul

User
Posted 07 Apr 2015 at 10:20
Movicol has worked to move me a little. Getting a bit of blood overflow around the catheter even though I am not straining. I'm presuming that is normal after surgery.
User
Posted 07 Apr 2015 at 21:16
Movicol has done the trick. A week ago tonight I was on the ward recovering from the operation. Getting stronger every day. Catheter removal next.
User
Posted 07 Apr 2015 at 21:58

Paul

A bit wary of saying something is normal but I did get over flowing or by passing and I suspect it was more urine than blood, not a pleasant experience but in a few weeks it should be a distant memory. Remember make sure the catheter comes out nice and easy, one of my urology nurses said when she worked on the urology ward if the catheter got stuck they made the guys walk round until it fell out.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 16:32
Today I have been back to hospital to have the catheter removed. I can't say it was the most pleasant experience but more of a stinging than actual pain. Immediately after I got off the bed and leaked everywhere. A few pads provided by the ward but I would be grateful if anyone knows where a good place is to get more?

Looking forward to having a bath tonight.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 16:53

Hi Paul,

Pleased to read your catheter has been removed....

You will be more mobile now ...hopefully your return to continence will be a swift one.

I order my pads online from either of the two links below..... I always purchase mine VAT exempt as it can get quite expensive if you use 6 or 7 a day to start with.
If you are really lucky you may get pads supplied from the NHS on prescription but don't hold your breath on that one... I've had no luck with that, so gave up in the end... 
Others have been lucky... hopefully you will be too

Best Wishes 
Luther

http://www.valueincontinence.co.uk/abri-man-formula-2---pack-of-14-incontinence-pads---from-359-496-

p.asphttp://www.incontinencesupermarket.co.uk/brands/abena/abena-abri-man

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 17:39
Cheers Luther, I know it's early days so finger crossed.
User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 19:58

Paul

Not sure if you are getting free pads or just need more.  Google incontinence service  to see if there is one in your area (look for the NHS ones), although the hospital sorted mine pre op, the clinic told me I could refer myself to the service as long as my GP was in the region.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 15:42
Hi Chris, Having to buy pads. I can see this being a bit expensive if this problem persists. Phoned my local continence service this morning who will send me an appointment in two weeks. I asked about pads and the lady suggested I get them from supermarkets or pharmacies. So no free ones in my area.

Paul