Show search

Notification

Error
123>

Good Luck, Kevin (irun)!

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 18:49

Hi Everyone,
As some of us already know, one of our valued members, Kevin (irun) is due to run the Brighton Marathon on Sunday, in spite of currently undergoing chemo at the moment.
Having run marathons myself in the past, I know how tough doing this distance is, even when you're in good health but attempting to run this while fighting cancer is a real challenge. He's also raising a fantastic amount of money for PCUK (not too late to sponsor him on his just giving page).
I just wanted to wish Kevin all the luck in the world for Sunday and come home safe.
Steve

Edited by member 09 Apr 2015 at 20:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 20:12
Hi guys, just got home from my run, so much I want to say, so emotional so apologies for the rambling and no doubt poor priority of my words.

Firstly it was so good to read your running commentary on the forum, thank you all for caring, it means so much ( as do many things you will read below).

Felt good this morning, ran first 9 miles in glorious sunshine in 9 minute miles and then for no reason ( well a month with no training, chemo, cancer, hormone drugs,being ill for a month?) my right knee went, from then on I had to hobble the last 17 miles, it got worse and I got slower. I had to walk for a bit after 16 miles and then walked for a minute or two every mile. The crowds were fantastic, my family and work friends come along and kept on popping up round the course, PCUK were there at the start and had a great cheering station plus lots of thanks from them at the end. I lost count of how much I cried through the emotion of it all. A year ago I did the same race 45 mins quicker, what a difference a year makes. When I was dx in November I thought that's it no more running. I jokingly call myself IRUN but expected to change that when I started chemo to IRAN, as cancer had already taken so much from my life and I was thinking well it will probably take it all even before the end. Hence why today meant so much to me.

Then there is the fund raising, I expected to raise maybe £1k from family and friends for our charity ( yes I really think that PCUK is part if everyone in this forum). Yesterday I went to a rugby reunion, they made PCUK the beneficiary if the raffle, raised £450 plus a bunch of them sponsored me today plus I raised the awareness to over 100 guys. When I looked at my just giving site after the run and saw so many more people had sponsored me I got all emotional again. I know it was tough today but I am really just an ordinary guy with a rubbish disease, my words are insufficient as to how touched I am by the number of sponsors , texts, Facebook messages , emails etc I have received. I have now raised just short if £20k inc gift aid which is beyond my wildest dreams( it should keep the forum going for a bit if nothing else!). PCUK is relatively a small charity that punches above its weight, I know the money will help them ( and therefore us) in a big way.

My wife ran a 10k that started just before the marathon. She finished in 1 hour 9 which is effectively the same speed as me ( only 4 times shorter) for her first ever 10k run as that was all she could do to support me running. Her work have made PCUK the charity of the month so that will raise a bit more too. Like many of you, I could not get through each day without my lovely beautiful wife and soul mate by my side.

So what's next, well next chemo is Tuesday, but I need to find another challenge. I have already entered the Brighton marathon for 2016 but I need something bigger, I have one thought but will keep that to myself until chemo and RT have finished to make sure I have got through it ok.

Thanks again everyone you are all just amazing as none if you know me ( that may be a good thing for you) yet you treat me and everyone on this forum like an old friend. Keep posting, can't wait till Leicester as I may have a raging thirst that weekend! Kevlaa IRUN

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 17:26
Hi All, just got back from the London Marathon, what a day. It didn't rain after all and was probably perfect running conditions. I finished in 4-23 which is 13 minutes faster than I ran in Brighton 2 weeks ago, thanks in no small part to ibuleve, marvellous stuff and my consultant was fine with me using ibuprofen but not orally. That stuff helped my knee have reduced pain.

So that's it now for running, I have a mega event for 2016 already lined up and will probably do a few more marathons along the way as part of the training but for now, a week off.

Thanks as ever for all your support.

Kevlaa

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:44

Hi,

If anyone wants to sponsor Kevin, I think this is the link to his just giving page:

www.justgiving.com/kevin-Webber3/

Hope that helps.

Steve

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 18:49

Hi Everyone,
As some of us already know, one of our valued members, Kevin (irun) is due to run the Brighton Marathon on Sunday, in spite of currently undergoing chemo at the moment.
Having run marathons myself in the past, I know how tough doing this distance is, even when you're in good health but attempting to run this while fighting cancer is a real challenge. He's also raising a fantastic amount of money for PCUK (not too late to sponsor him on his just giving page).
I just wanted to wish Kevin all the luck in the world for Sunday and come home safe.
Steve

Edited by member 09 Apr 2015 at 20:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 00:08

Vaseline for nipples and thigh chaffing protection.

Never done a full Marathon, although I have managed a Snickers or two in my time.

Go Kev......

dabve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 15:17

Yorkhull, I just splurted tea over my laptop :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 19:08
Kev you cannot be called Superman because we call Si Scott that so I am hoping to think of something appropriate before Leicester. You are such an inspiration to anyone with or without PCa, to run one marathon after 5 lots of chemo is a truly awesome achievement to run 2 in a fortnight and at 10 mins a mile with a niggling knee injury is just incredible.

You must take up motivational speaking I would love to hear your story of your preparation and how you manage the miles and do so much for a cause you truly believe in.

I salute you for you are someone I feel privileged and truly honoured to know.

Xxx

MO

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 19:52

Well remembered Steve - good luck Kevin!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:16

Ditto Steve,

Good luck on Sunday Kevin. I hope your bits don't chaff!

Is there a link to the just giving page?

dave

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:26
WOW!! A MARATHON whilst undergoing chemo!! I felt sick after completing only the half marathon and I am in good health, I take my hat off to you Kevin. All the very best of luck,enjoy.

Lesley x

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:59
Good luck Kevin, has anyone the just giving page link?

Trish

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 21:14
Kevin

thanks for your message the other day, you make my 5ks at a fumble in relatively OK health look pretty pathetic!

Steve thanks for the link I can donate now ..not so easy from USA but as soon as I get onto a UK IP address on Sunday I should be able to.

Kev if I can't for any reason I will message you and send you a cheque instead (I think you might work for my old crew co-incidentally so I hope they are sponsoring you too)

Run safe and steadily I know your best buddy will be with you to make sure you do

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 21:18
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi,

If anyone wants to sponsor Kevin, I think this is the link to his just giving page:

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve crossed messages 😊

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 21:22

Kevin
thanks for your message the other day, you make my 5ks at a fumble in relatively OK health look pretty pathetic!

Run safe and steadily I know your best buddy will be with you to make sure you do
xx
Mo

No, NO, NOOOO!

What you are going to do Mo, what anyone, Irun Kevin does, all helps support research.  And is all important.

Don't knock yourself and your efforts.

Found the link and chucked a couple of quid into the bucket, LOL.

dave

Edited by member 09 Apr 2015 at 21:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:08

GO GO GO KEVLA What a Hero we are all behind you (is that me the non runner saying that) Yep it's me Go what  a Hero and a huge THANK YOU  FROM ALL OF US SUFFERING WITH PCA .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:31

Hope it goes well Kev - just take care!

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:45
Wishing you all the best with your run Kevin. Will be thinking of you.
User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:07

and vaseline.

dave

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:10

Go, Kev, hope you make millions over decades!

Steph.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:12

Good luck Kevlaa...only a few days away and the weather doesn't look too bad. We will all be virtually behind you with every step you make. Good luck to your wife also, 10k isn't something to be sniffed at.

We are all extremely proud of you. Your attitude and efforts are inspiring. Looking forward to a couple of beers in June

Bri

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:44

Good luck Kevin. We are very proud of you.

Chris and Shirley.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:56
Kev

as I expected donating in GBP from a USA IP address was a "computer says no" moment so I will sort it when I get home just before you race looks like you will sail past the 15k target so that is truly fantastic.

I know there is not much to save your toenails as you said you already had problems there so taping them is only a precaution against even worse damage.

Vaseline suggested by Dave ...great I daren't ask what for (Nipple protectin maybe?)

I wish your Wife all the best on her run too. Great effort

xx

Mo

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 01:34

Hi,

I've just seen that Kevin has just hit his fundraising target of £15,000 this evening with the help of some of our members and many people who recognise what an incredible guy he is.  

Not content with fighting his own personal battle with cancer, he cares enough about others that he wants to spread the word so that all men can at least know the facts about PCa so they can get themselves checked if they have any symptoms.  At the same time, he's managed to raise an amazing amount of money to help with the work of PCUK that will benefit all of us on this community site.

Thanks Kevin.

Steve

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 15:15
Inspiring effort Kev. All the best for your marathon. It is a great achievement . You must be a very determined bloke. Have fun. Georgina
User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 16:11
Good luck Kevin, I know from experience how hard marathons can be let alone doing one with the treatment etc you're having.

You're a star

Arthur

Edited by member 10 Apr 2015 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 16:27

Good luck Kevin!

I was never a runner ( bad knees ) but was a keen amateur road cyclist up until a few years ago.... so I have some appreciation of just how hard this will be for you especially whist still undergoing chemo!

Hope the air pollution levels predicted for today will have dispersed by Sunday..

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 11 Apr 2015 at 19:46

Good luck for tomorrow Kevin, will be thinking of you. Hope you're feeling ok, I'm sure it will be an amazing and inspiring experience to be a part of. Good luck, and look forward to hearing how it goes....
Miss x

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 09:14

Go Kevlaa Go!

Kevin's marathon starts at 9.15am.  Follow his progress on the Brighton Marathon App (his race no is 15081).

Good Luck, Kev, we're all with you (in spirit!).

Steve

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 09:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 09:31

Kevin's just started.  

At least he made it to the start line!  I know that's what he was concerned about, being well enough to compete.

Well done Kev.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 10:09

I think he was hoping for 9 minute miles. He managed that for his first mile. Keep going mate

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:01

Loving the commentary guys - keep it going!

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:10

Hi,

Getting a bit concerned.  Either his tracking isn't working or he may be walking.

Tracking is showing he's not passed the 10k point yet.  Just hope he's ok.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:34
Kevin's just been tracked at half way - 2:03:56

Arthur

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:41

He's still going at the pace he intended according to his half way time...absolutely awesome...There was never gonna be a chance that he wouldn't do this

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:46

Hi ,

That's great news   Thanks Arthur.  Such a relief.  Must have been technical issues with the 10k monitor. 

Traveling to Southampton so internet a bit hit or miss.

Keep going Kev.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 12:44

Hi,

Kevlaa has passed 30k.  Fantastic news.  On the last leg of the marathon.  

Keep going, Kev.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:21

Hi,

Kevin's just passed 23 miles, only just over 3 and a bit to go.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:23

Last couple of miles...bet he can almost see the finish line

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:32

Isn't this tracking tool fantastic! When I do the GNR later this year, you will all be able to see when I stop for a cigarette break :-0

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:54

Keep on going Kev!

Phew!...... I'm knackered just reading all the updates....http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:02

He finished in 4 hr 36 min well done Kev absolutely awesome effort

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:03

Congratulations Kevlaa.

Just finished in 4 hrs 36 min 29 secs.

I'm speechless.  What a magnificent achievement.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:05
Congratulations Kevin

A marvellous effort and achievement, my wife is overwhelmed by what you've done and is on the verge of tears.

Forget what the racing drivers, footballers and golfers have done today you're a real sporting hero.

Arthur

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 18:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:11

Congratulations Kevin

Fantastic achievement! 

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:15

Well after going through Chemo myself this is nothing but amazing, well done mate.

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:22

Wonderful effort Kev. What an achievement and raising so much, unbelievable effort!

Si could you run a marathon before chemo then?

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 15:18
FANTASTIC KEV

Seeing Eric going through Chemo

well done you.

Carol

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 16:10

My point being having been through chemo and knowing how debilitating it is what a fantastic effort it was.

Sorry if i didn't make myself clear

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 17:55

Epic achievement Kevin, really pleased for you, huge congratulations!
Miss x

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 18:23
Managed to sponsor Kevin at 08.20 this morning ...phew so glad I did what an amazing and inspirational effort. I wish you ived nearer me Kev, I could do with a running PT and I am sure Lyn and Ness would be happy to share ?xx??

Hope your wife also did well on her run ...

Laughing my socks off at Lyn, Paul and Si, hey guys come on Si is running with us at Lincoln (well he will have to break into a trot to catch us and throw paint at us) Paul no disrespect but as a cricket man your aim should be good but I am quite certain you are not a fast pace bowler and Lyn OMG I can just see you on the Tyne bridge having a crafty fag part way around!

Kev please put us all out of our misery as soon as you can and let us know you are doing OK? raising a glass and having wine tonight in honour of your amazing achievement and success

RESPECT

xx

Mo

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 18:34

Congratulations Kevlaa.

Steve

Thanks for posting this news up Steve.

Kev - amazing achievement, well done.  I hope you are okay?  

dave 

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 20:29
Congratulations Kevin - what a fantastic achievement!

You really are an inspiration - I am filled with admiration and respect for you.

I wish you all the best with your forthcoming treatment.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 20:56

Hi Kevin,

I started this thread because I thought it would give a platform for people here to show their support for the second most important challenge you face in your life at the moment, the marathon.  I think the strength, determination and courage shown by you today in completing the marathon will have inspired all of us to fight harder against the greatest challenge we all face on this forum, our prostate cancer.

All I can say is "Thank You".  You're a hero.

Steve

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 23:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 21:15

Dear OH Dear, not only am I in awe but total respect for you Kev and know after your post a whole lot of tears. Life for some of us is very hard indeed we face such an uphill battle and struggle but you have shown today such strength  of character and determination to fight through adversity. I absolutley applaud you . Total respect.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 21:33

I do wonder if, looking back, you could have done it quicker?

Just saying.

OFGS ONLY KIDDING!!!

Well done Kev.

A tremendous feat.

dave

Edited by member 13 Apr 2015 at 11:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 22:17
Kev

I am feeling humbled ...was having a bit of a weepie (just one of those moments) and then your tag came up OMG I said it on my just giving comment RESPECT

You will not go thirsty at MOTS I suspect you will be awash

xx

Mo

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 22:50

Well done Kevin, you finished despite the hobble, bl....dy well done.

Chris and Shirley.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 00:00

What you have done is nothing short of exceptional. Very well done.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 09:14
Kev

good morning, I hope today as you tend to your blisters and aching body you are able to reflect a little on what must have been a simply amazing and very emotional day for you and also for your Wife, friends, famiy and us crazy rabble on here!

Nobody can feel what you are feeling as an individual with PCa or as someone who has completed a truly astonishing feat of athleticism under exceptional circumstances. You say you are just an ordinary guy well think again Kevlaa, IRUN as of Sunday April 12th 2015 you became a hero, I do not say that lightly and I am sure everyone will agree.

You may be humble but you should also be proud very proud indeed.

I think there were many of us on this forum who got quite emotional with you and for you yesterday, I cannot wait to see you at Leicester so I can shake your hand and buy you a beer but I will be in a queue!!

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 12:16

Congratulations Kev. . A great job . Looking forward to hearing of you next challenge. All in good time hey. Georgina

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 18:48

All of the above seconded,El.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 18:57

Kevin, you're a walking/running miracle.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

CONGRATULATIONS ON AN INCEDIBLE ACHIEVEMENT

Looking forward to meeting you and Sarah  at The Mill in June (but please don't run al the way there!)http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Stay well my friend,

George

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 19:57
Thanks to everyone for your kind words, as I have said before, I am sure that any of you would do the same if you could. I have raised over £20k now which hopefully will help PCUK and I met so many sons and daughters of sufferers or deceased of this terrible disease also raising money for this great charity by just running, another thing that got me all emotional.

Finally, George , I won't be running to Leicester but will be going for a run first thing on the Sunday no matter what ii pour down my throat as I never miss a chance to run somewhere different, even Leicester!

User
Posted 24 Apr 2015 at 19:22

Amazing Kevin,

Good luck on Sunday.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2015 at 20:41

OH Kev, you take my breath away. Proud to know you. 

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 24 Apr 2015 at 22:38

Have a fantastic time on Sunday, Kev !

Fiona.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 00:05
Kev you simply astound me ..take my breath away ...have you got a sponsorship page for the London marathon.?

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 00:29

Have a brilliant day. Hope you get the time you want!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 01:21

Go for it Kev and if 2016 is what I think it is it will be amazing for you

looking forward to having a beer

Bri

Edited by member 25 Apr 2015 at 01:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 04:14

Kev. You are a brave man running another marathon so soon. In my early days I too ran marathons around about the four hour mark and I know your legs will not have completely recovered yet. But an opportunity like this one could hardly refuse , could one? We are both old and shakey now lol but we both know the magic of finishing a marathon/s My Erwell somewhat faster than myself. Well a lot faster in truth. To do this with your health issue is truly inspiring. Go for it Kev and savour that moment when you cross that line yet again. Cheers Georgina

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 06:17
Go Kevin go!!

It's a fantastic day, take it all in and enjoy it.

Arthur

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 06:20

hi kevin good job getting the number, will also be running London this year, still having scans at moments, I have been told that 200 runners are starting for the charity, my plan is to stop at 13,17 and 22 and take a photo, abit late in the fund raising department for me but will be close to £200.00

for all those running enjoy

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 09:46

Good Luck for tomorrow, Kev, stay safe.

Steve

User
Posted 25 Apr 2015 at 18:13

All the best for tomorrow,Kev.  

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 00:32
Good luck Kevin

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 07:44

Will be thinking of you today Kevin.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 13:53
Kev I hope all has gone well for you today, I have been thinking of you.

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 19:30

Couldn't agree with you more, Mo.

Kevin? You put us all to shame. You're just INCREDIBLE!

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 19:34
Oh Wow! That's amazing taking all things into consideration, treatment etc and only having done Brighton 2 weeks ago.

Fan flipping tastic !!

Arthur

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:39
Hi kev

Congratulations to you, 2 marathons in such a short space of time and after 5 chemo treatments WOW I take my hat off to you!

There must be some good stuff in that chemo!!!

Make sure you enjoy some relaxation time to recoup.

Lesley

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:42

Brilliant, Kevin. Many congratulations!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:43
Amazing, fantastic time too, well done doesn't seem to say enough for this wonderful achievement, hope you enjoy a few days rest now, all the best, Janet
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:25

Well done Kevin. I was in London this morning, though for a different event and it was manic,
Where ever you went here were poeple, and the journey home was a nightmare.

So pleased you finished and in such good time too.

A real inspiration to the rest of us

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 00:09

congratultions kevin, I along with a few other supporters ran in London today, it was really good weather for the event, support groups along the way where awesome, must apologise for geting a bit emotional at the support group at 22miles, it all sarted to hit me, how I am the fact its my last ever marathon, but the big foam hand I picked up did the trick along the way got plenty of reaction from the crowd

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153211163743350&set=pcb.10153211164018350&type=1&theater

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 01:42

Congratulations, Kevin, another really great run.  Well done.

Hope the treatment is going well too.  Keep us up to date.

Best Wishes,

Steve

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 01:57

Hi Bladerunner,

Well done in completing the London Marathon.  It must have been a really great day.  I watched all the coverage, very envious of everyone there.

I hope to do it one year, I keep entering the ballot each year.  Not sure if it will ever work out for me.

Steve

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 09:30

Congrats Irun and Bladerunner. Great job. Hope you make it next year Steve. I am sure running helps those being treated for Pca. Gives one goals to strive for and running is a great anxiety reducer. Georgina

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 15:14

Congratulations to both of you for this marvellous achievement,El.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 16:01

congratultions kevin, I along with a few other supporters ran in London today, it was really good weather for the event, support groups along the way where awesome, must apologise for geting a bit emotional at the support group at 22miles, it all sarted to hit me, how I am the fact its my last ever marathon, but the big foam hand I picked up did the trick along the way got plenty of reaction from the crowd

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153211163743350&set=pcb.10153211164018350&type=1&theater

Well done bladerunner.

We saw some of the competitors at the stations when we were on our way home from London. All wrapped in their foil cloaks,  They looked mostly exhausted!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 21:59

Great news Kev with the stats.

I'm sure that exercise and diet have a massive affect.

I'm not surprised it hurts like hell doing 60 miles a week, I'm doing only 15 miles a week at the moment and that hurts like hell. I can't imagine 60/ week.

Great message and inspiring

Paul

User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 23:07
Kev

342 to 0.4 amazing wow.

I am sure your attitude, fitness and the treatment you have had so far have all contributed.

If your body is telling you that you are coping then it must be right.

When I first guessed you were doing Des Sables I told myself I was crazy... So glad I was wrong!!

As Healey says you are inspirational not just for the runners and athletes or for that matter men with PCa, but for anyone with something to strive towards.

Best wishes to you and your family

Xx

Mo

Edited by member 11 Aug 2015 at 23:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 06:02

Well done Kev...I know you will achieve your goal mate.

I didn't realise you had changed your diet. Is it a radical change or just a balanced diet

Bri

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 07:29
What a great result!
User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 08:26
Great news kev so pleased for you mate

Enjoy your holiday down here we are packing up soon couple of tips jet ski safari bloody amazing hour and a half loads of dolphins the girls loved it and horse riding on the beach as the sunsets

Plenty here to help with the training Cornish cream teas pasties and loads of Cornish beer

Enjoy your holiday and those results

Si

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 11:13

Excellent results - long may it last and good luck with your race.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 21:16

Now if you could just build in some cooked tomatoes each day, I would say you are bang on for a prostate-healthy diet :-)

User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 20:47

Hi Kev,

Really pleased with your recent good results.  Sorry I've not posted before now, it's been difficult.

I'm sure your diet, fitness and determination works to your advantage.  You are a great inspiration to everyone on this site.

I hope your training goes really well and you achieve your goal.  I'm sure you will and everyone on here will be with you in spirit, willing you on to the finish.

Sorry we didn't get more chance to talk about your running at MOTS.  It would be nice to think that sometime in the future, we would have chance to talk again.  I hope so.

Take care.

Steve 

User
Posted 24 Aug 2015 at 22:18
Helpful list of foods on this post Irun, easy to fall off track after a while, so this has given me and my OH the boost we needed to get back on it!

All the best with your treatment.

Alison

User
Posted 30 Aug 2015 at 09:16

I know Im late posting Kev, but really well done, you have been a inspiration to me from my very first post.

All the very best.

By the way what Pommegranate juice do you buy ?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 19:52

Well remembered Steve - good luck Kevin!

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:16

Ditto Steve,

Good luck on Sunday Kevin. I hope your bits don't chaff!

Is there a link to the just giving page?

dave

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:26
WOW!! A MARATHON whilst undergoing chemo!! I felt sick after completing only the half marathon and I am in good health, I take my hat off to you Kevin. All the very best of luck,enjoy.

Lesley x

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:44

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Steve

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 20:59
Good luck Kevin, has anyone the just giving page link?

Trish

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 21:14
Kevin

Steve thanks for the link I can donate now ..not so easy from USA but as soon as I get onto a UK IP address on Sunday I should be able to.

Kev if I can't for any reason I will message you and send you a cheque instead (I think you might work for my old crew co-incidentally so I hope they are sponsoring you too)

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 21:18

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve crossed messages 😊

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 21:22

Kevin

xx
Mo

No, NO, NOOOO!

What you are going to do Mo, what anyone, Irun Kevin does, all helps support research.  And is all important.

Don't knock yourself and your efforts.

Found the link and chucked a couple of quid into the bucket, LOL.

dave

Edited by member 09 Apr 2015 at 21:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:08

GO GO GO KEVLA What a Hero we are all behind you (is that me the non runner saying that) Yep it's me Go what  a Hero and a huge THANK YOU  FROM ALL OF US SUFFERING WITH PCA .

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:30
Wow, I have just read this thread, thank you Steve, I didn't want to blow my own trumpet anymore here but so glad for you to do on my behalf.

Please everyone, this is not about any of you sponsoring me, that is a reason why I did not post this. I am acutely aware that many on this forum have very little so I would be upset if anyone gave to the cause instead of doing something good for themselves. That said, do feel free to share my link with anyone you know both to raise awareness and also if they want to donate (and can aford to) that is good too. I am not on Facebook personally but if you are and you want to do something then do as that is worth far more than guys on this forum giving a few quid.

Thank you all again, I will try to carry the flag for all of us on this site Sunday just to show what can be done (I hope) with training and determination, that said, I do think I am relatively lucky with the side affects of the chemo although my doc says this is in part due to my training so it's win win!

If you want to track my progress (or should I say slowgress) on the day, there is a free app, "Brighton marathon" to download, if you go to the tracking tab my number is 15081, My race ( ha ha) starts at 9-15. My wife, bless her is running the 10k before, starts at 8-30 ( she has never run more than 5k in a race before) number 754.

Not quite Mo Farrah but we share the same hairstyle !

Thanks again, Kev aka Kevlaa/irun

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:31

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 22:45
Wishing you all the best with your run Kevin. Will be thinking of you.
User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:07

and vaseline.

dave

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:10

Go, Kev, hope you make millions over decades!

Steph.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:12

Good luck Kevlaa...only a few days away and the weather doesn't look too bad. We will all be virtually behind you with every step you make. Good luck to your wife also, 10k isn't something to be sniffed at.

We are all extremely proud of you. Your attitude and efforts are inspiring. Looking forward to a couple of beers in June

Bri

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:44

Good luck Kevin. We are very proud of you.

Chris and Shirley.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 23:56
Kev

as I expected donating in GBP from a USA IP address was a "computer says no" moment so I will sort it when I get home just before you race looks like you will sail past the 15k target so that is truly fantastic.

I know there is not much to save your toenails as you said you already had problems there so taping them is only a precaution against even worse damage.

Vaseline suggested by Dave ...great I daren't ask what for (Nipple protectin maybe?)

I wish your Wife all the best on her run too. Great effort

xx

Mo

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 00:08

Vaseline for nipples and thigh chaffing protection.

Never done a full Marathon, although I have managed a Snickers or two in my time.

Go Kev......

dabve

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 01:34

Hi,

I've just seen that Kevin has just hit his fundraising target of £15,000 this evening with the help of some of our members and many people who recognise what an incredible guy he is.  

Not content with fighting his own personal battle with cancer, he cares enough about others that he wants to spread the word so that all men can at least know the facts about PCa so they can get themselves checked if they have any symptoms.  At the same time, he's managed to raise an amazing amount of money to help with the work of PCUK that will benefit all of us on this community site.

Thanks Kevin.

Steve

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 15:15
Inspiring effort Kev. All the best for your marathon. It is a great achievement . You must be a very determined bloke. Have fun. Georgina
User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 16:11
Good luck Kevin, I know from experience how hard marathons can be let alone doing one with the treatment etc you're having.

You're a star

Arthur

Edited by member 10 Apr 2015 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Apr 2015 at 16:27

Good luck Kevin!

I was never a runner ( bad knees ) but was a keen amateur road cyclist up until a few years ago.... so I have some appreciation of just how hard this will be for you especially whist still undergoing chemo!

Hope the air pollution levels predicted for today will have dispersed by Sunday..

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 11 Apr 2015 at 19:46

Good luck for tomorrow Kevin, will be thinking of you. Hope you're feeling ok, I'm sure it will be an amazing and inspiring experience to be a part of. Good luck, and look forward to hearing how it goes....
Miss x

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 09:14

Go Kevlaa Go!

Kevin's marathon starts at 9.15am.  Follow his progress on the Brighton Marathon App (his race no is 15081).

Good Luck, Kev, we're all with you (in spirit!).

Steve

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 09:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 09:31

Kevin's just started.  

At least he made it to the start line!  I know that's what he was concerned about, being well enough to compete.

Well done Kev.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 10:09

I think he was hoping for 9 minute miles. He managed that for his first mile. Keep going mate

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:01

Loving the commentary guys - keep it going!

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:10

Hi,

Getting a bit concerned.  Either his tracking isn't working or he may be walking.

Tracking is showing he's not passed the 10k point yet.  Just hope he's ok.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:34
Kevin's just been tracked at half way - 2:03:56

Arthur

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:41

He's still going at the pace he intended according to his half way time...absolutely awesome...There was never gonna be a chance that he wouldn't do this

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 11:46

Hi ,

That's great news   Thanks Arthur.  Such a relief.  Must have been technical issues with the 10k monitor. 

Traveling to Southampton so internet a bit hit or miss.

Keep going Kev.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 12:44

Hi,

Kevlaa has passed 30k.  Fantastic news.  On the last leg of the marathon.  

Keep going, Kev.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:21

Hi,

Kevin's just passed 23 miles, only just over 3 and a bit to go.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:23

Last couple of miles...bet he can almost see the finish line

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:32

Isn't this tracking tool fantastic! When I do the GNR later this year, you will all be able to see when I stop for a cigarette break :-0

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:39

Come on Kevlaa,

You're almost there!

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 13:54

Keep on going Kev!

Phew!...... I'm knackered just reading all the updates....http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:02

He finished in 4 hr 36 min well done Kev absolutely awesome effort

Bri

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:03

Congratulations Kevlaa.

Steve

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:05
Congratulations Kevin

A marvellous effort and achievement, my wife is overwhelmed by what you've done and is on the verge of tears.

Forget what the racing drivers, footballers and golfers have done today you're a real sporting hero.

Arthur

Edited by member 12 Apr 2015 at 18:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:11

Congratulations Kevin

Fantastic achievement! 

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:15

Well after going through Chemo myself this is nothing but amazing, well done mate.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 14:22

Wonderful effort Kev. What an achievement and raising so much, unbelievable effort!

Si could you run a marathon before chemo then?

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 15:17

Yorkhull, I just splurted tea over my laptop :-(

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 15:18
FANTASTIC KEV

Seeing Eric going through Chemo

well done you.

Carol

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 16:10

My point being having been through chemo and knowing how debilitating it is what a fantastic effort it was.

Sorry if i didn't make myself clear

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 17:55

Epic achievement Kevin, really pleased for you, huge congratulations!
Miss x

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 18:23
Managed to sponsor Kevin at 08.20 this morning ...phew so glad I did what an amazing and inspirational effort. I wish you ived nearer me Kev, I could do with a running PT and I am sure Lyn and Ness would be happy to share ?xx??

Hope your wife also did well on her run ...

Laughing my socks off at Lyn, Paul and Si, hey guys come on Si is running with us at Lincoln (well he will have to break into a trot to catch us and throw paint at us) Paul no disrespect but as a cricket man your aim should be good but I am quite certain you are not a fast pace bowler and Lyn OMG I can just see you on the Tyne bridge having a crafty fag part way around!

Kev please put us all out of our misery as soon as you can and let us know you are doing OK? raising a glass and having wine tonight in honour of your amazing achievement and success

RESPECT

xx

Mo

User
Posted 12 Apr 2015 at 18:34

Congratulations Kevlaa.

Steve

Thanks for posting this news up Steve.

Kev - amazing achievement, well done.  I hope you are okay?  

dave