Show search

Notification

Error

Running for PCUK

User
Posted 13 Apr 2015 at 12:35
Hello everybody

I was diagnosed with PCa early January.

As I had already entered the Leeds Half Marathon without sponsorship and after joining this group and finding so much help and support I thought I'd try and do a little bit by running for MEN United.

I have a sponsorship page which is http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Jackson46.

Anything helps both PCUK and motivates me so I hope you can help

Paul

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 09:59

Hello Healey,

Good luck with your Leeds Half marathon. And good luck with your treatment.

Didn't want you to think that no one had read your post. There was a sponsorship run by another member here last weekend so people may be "donated out" for the moment.

atb

dave

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 23:13

Hi Paul,

I wanted to thank you for deciding to raise some money for PCUK.  I think that's really good of you and will encourage you to reach the finish line. 

I envy your opportunity to run the half marathon, I'd been training to run the Reading Half Marathon until my heart attack in November put a stop to that for this year, under orders from my cardiac consultant.  I do hope to run it next March though I have been told I may need another heart operation in December/January which might ruin next year's attempt too.  I live in hope though.

I'd be pleased to support your effort on May 10th.  At this stage unfortunately, it would be a minor contribution, it's not the best time for me at the moment but I might be able to make another contribution, if I can, a bit closer to the race.

I hope everything goes well for you on the day, enjoy every moment.

Steve

Edited by member 15 Apr 2015 at 01:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 21:40
Good luck with the run, Paul, all the best, Janet
User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 00:24
Paul, you're welcome. I think concentrating on running, if you can, is really good for you. You have had the shock of your diagnosis, researched what to do next, now is time to get on with life, it doesn't sound like denial.Take care, Janet
User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 10:10

Best of luck with this.

Alison

User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 16:54
Go for it, Paul!

Steve

User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 22:13
Well done, Paul, I walk those sort of distances but can't run so takes me much longer!
User
Posted 20 Apr 2015 at 08:11
Hi Paul,

Looking good for you. Very respectable times. Wish I could do the same.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Apr 2015 at 20:09

Steve
I read all your posts and feel for your issues but if you're not fit to run then you're not fit to run.
In my time I've had to cancel some of my races the day before (London Marathon) and others because of injury or just not feeling well. I did eventually do the London Marathon but I shouldn't have cos I had a chest infection and it showed in my awful time. So I try to make sure I'm fit to run.

So what I'm saying is wait till you're ready and in this case sit back and let me run for you.
I'll be thinking of you and all my sponsors when I'm hitting the finishing line

All the best

Paul

User
Posted 21 Apr 2015 at 19:11
Hi Paul

All the very best of luck this weekend in leeds, hope the sun shines for you. Enjoy.

Lesley x

User
Posted 09 May 2015 at 15:06

All the best for the run on Sunday.  Elajai

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 17:39

When you say 'lost' I take it you didn't mean that the pacer failed to keep up with you????

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 19:38
Well run, Paul. I'm pleased for you. A good time too considering what you're going through at the moment.

Good luck with the PSA Test.

Steve

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 23:16
Well done Paul, really pleased to hear you got round and considering everything to only lose 11 minutes from last year is great.

Good luck for tomorrow's blood test.

Take care, Janet

User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 04:39

well done on running the leeds half marathon, hope you are not suffering to much with tired legs, and dont run anymore for a few days give those legs a rest, might sound cruel but cold baths help recovery.

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 09:59

Hello Healey,

Good luck with your Leeds Half marathon. And good luck with your treatment.

Didn't want you to think that no one had read your post. There was a sponsorship run by another member here last weekend so people may be "donated out" for the moment.

atb

dave

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 22:48

Thank you Countryboy55

Thanks for you good luck wishes, they do help

I appreciate that people have many pressures on them from so many charity's but I thought I'd try anyway.

Best Regards
Paul

User
Posted 14 Apr 2015 at 23:13

Hi Paul,

I wanted to thank you for deciding to raise some money for PCUK.  I think that's really good of you and will encourage you to reach the finish line. 

I envy your opportunity to run the half marathon, I'd been training to run the Reading Half Marathon until my heart attack in November put a stop to that for this year, under orders from my cardiac consultant.  I do hope to run it next March though I have been told I may need another heart operation in December/January which might ruin next year's attempt too.  I live in hope though.

I'd be pleased to support your effort on May 10th.  At this stage unfortunately, it would be a minor contribution, it's not the best time for me at the moment but I might be able to make another contribution, if I can, a bit closer to the race.

I hope everything goes well for you on the day, enjoy every moment.

Steve

Edited by member 15 Apr 2015 at 01:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Apr 2015 at 14:39

morning all

only recently diagnosed have an MRI scan on thursday 16th april, just thought I would post am running London Marathon on april 26th have sent for a PC running vest, am just going to make a personal donation.

if anyone is intrested my number is 21970.

must admit though these last couple of weeks been hard to keep my focus but this is going to be my last marathon had already decided on this before I got this news, have run london 10 times prior but first one for 8years, used to be a sub 3hr15min runner but will be happy with anything under 3hr45mins, ran yorkshire marathon last october in 3hr 36mins

on my running taper now just got a couple of 6milers and some 4milers before 3days of rest.

run long and prosper

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 21:07

Steve
Thanks ever so for your contribution.
I don't think about amounts I think about numbers of sponsors and you are my first from this site so you are important to me.

If you were training for the Reading half Marathon then you know what it's all about. The mere fact that People sponsor me makes it all feel worthwhile.

I really hope all goes well for you and you are able to get on the road again.

Thanks again

Paul

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 21:40
Good luck with the run, Paul, all the best, Janet
User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 22:58

Dear Janet
I know so few people on this site and perhaps it a bit of denial that I don't post or get involved much. I just concentrate a little on my running and get on with life.

Thank you for your faith in me and for your sponsorship

Paul

User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 00:24
Paul, you're welcome. I think concentrating on running, if you can, is really good for you. You have had the shock of your diagnosis, researched what to do next, now is time to get on with life, it doesn't sound like denial.Take care, Janet
User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 10:10

Best of luck with this.

Alison

User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 14:53

Alison
Thank you so much for your good wishes and sponsorship.
I'm feeling more motivated every day.
Tomorrow is my 11 mile training run so I'm getting ready for that one.

Thanks again

Paul

User
Posted 18 Apr 2015 at 16:54
Go for it, Paul!

Steve

User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 18:16

Hello everybody
Well I staggered round my 12 mile training run this morning. Thankfully it was cool and the rain stayed off.
For those into running I took 1:55:54 hrs mins sec and averaged 9:38 minute/mile.
Next Sunday its 13-14 miles - can't wait.

Love to you all and thanks

Pauul

User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 22:13
Well done, Paul, I walk those sort of distances but can't run so takes me much longer!
User
Posted 20 Apr 2015 at 08:11
Hi Paul,

Looking good for you. Very respectable times. Wish I could do the same.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Apr 2015 at 20:09

Steve
I read all your posts and feel for your issues but if you're not fit to run then you're not fit to run.
In my time I've had to cancel some of my races the day before (London Marathon) and others because of injury or just not feeling well. I did eventually do the London Marathon but I shouldn't have cos I had a chest infection and it showed in my awful time. So I try to make sure I'm fit to run.

So what I'm saying is wait till you're ready and in this case sit back and let me run for you.
I'll be thinking of you and all my sponsors when I'm hitting the finishing line

All the best

Paul

User
Posted 21 Apr 2015 at 19:11
Hi Paul

All the very best of luck this weekend in leeds, hope the sun shines for you. Enjoy.

Lesley x

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 23:58

Hello everyone
Well the sponsorship is coming along, I'm now up to 15 sponsors and about £150.

My training runs are getting harder, I did 12.25 mile run/stagger/walk on Monday in an awful time and a 7 mile walk along the Colne Valley yesterday. I've another 8 miler and three 4 milers to do before the big race in Leeds on Sunday 10th May.
A welcome break this Sunday to watch the "Tour de Yorkshire" cycle race come through Holmfirth then back to the training.

Thanks again to all my sponsors and there's still time if anyone else would like to contribute.
Http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Jackson46

Paul

User
Posted 07 May 2015 at 15:41

Last training run today. According to the training plan I should have jogged for 4 miles on Friday but and rested today but since it was so sunny I went out and ran 4.6 miles at a 8:52 rate which makes me think I will get there.
The half marathon is this Sunday and we are over £200 in sponsorship so if there's anyone else feels like dipping in their pocket lets go for £300.

Thanks again everyone who has already sponsored me.

Paul

User
Posted 09 May 2015 at 15:06

All the best for the run on Sunday.  Elajai

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 17:36

Well I made it round the Leeds Half Marathon course this morning and would like to thank everybody on this site who sponsored me and to all those who wished me well.

This HT (plus abi & enzo) don't half slow you down. It took me 2hrs7mins (11 mins longer than last year).

Anyway back to blood test tomorrow to check how my PsA and ATS liver stat is doing and decisions on whether I stay on Stampede trial.

Paul

Ps
Lyn you were right about the 1 mile climb up Stonegate Rd - ouch that's where I lost the 120min pacer.

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 17:39

When you say 'lost' I take it you didn't mean that the pacer failed to keep up with you????

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 19:38
Well run, Paul. I'm pleased for you. A good time too considering what you're going through at the moment.

Good luck with the PSA Test.

Steve

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 23:16
Well done Paul, really pleased to hear you got round and considering everything to only lose 11 minutes from last year is great.

Good luck for tomorrow's blood test.

Take care, Janet

User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 04:39

well done on running the leeds half marathon, hope you are not suffering to much with tired legs, and dont run anymore for a few days give those legs a rest, might sound cruel but cold baths help recovery.

run long and prosper

User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 19:33
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Lyn

I just love your dry Yorkshire humour.

Paul