I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

One Day at A Time

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:26

Time it is such a strange thing, we often say there is not enough time in a day or enough time to sleep, not enough time to finish our jobs . Clocks going forwards and going backwards . Time is so important in our lives,  just the tick tock of the clock , how fast our children grow one minute babies and the next all grown up and starting families of their  own.

One minute everything is normal in your life and for some of us everything can change in the blink of an eye, time seems to stand still when you hear the cancer diagnosis it is like everything goes into slow motion almost like it wants to keep you stuck in that moment in time, our own moment in time seemed to last forever it took such a long time to break free and get back in sync with the rest of the world. I found it almost like you are watching the rest of the world go by and you are stuck in a time warp bubble, you can't quite hear or see properly because you are stuck in the bubble and the rest of the world is rushing past at breakneck speed .

Today seemed such a long time ago that we were in that bubble, almost 2 years since our diagnosis and that time has given us so much , firstly it makes you appreciate every minute. Today Trevor has managed to help shovel gravel something 2 years ago I would never have imagined he would be able to do, Trevor today has been a hero OK not like our Kevlaa but a hero in my life .  He has shown that with the worst of prognosis and a little extra time and an awful lot of will power  people can still amaze and astound .

Time is the most precious thing that we have, make the most of it don't waste a single second , you know the old saying that you can't turn back time, well you can't but what you can do is make every second of the future count.  We wasted a lot of time in the begining , I suppose that is natural but know we are in a better place mentally and able to enjoy every moment. 

So even though we are in Extra Time or Borrowed Time whatever you want to call it we are so grateful for it. You can't buy it , You cant bottle it but you sure as heck need to enjoy every single moment of it.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:26

Time it is such a strange thing, we often say there is not enough time in a day or enough time to sleep, not enough time to finish our jobs . Clocks going forwards and going backwards . Time is so important in our lives,  just the tick tock of the clock , how fast our children grow one minute babies and the next all grown up and starting families of their  own.

One minute everything is normal in your life and for some of us everything can change in the blink of an eye, time seems to stand still when you hear the cancer diagnosis it is like everything goes into slow motion almost like it wants to keep you stuck in that moment in time, our own moment in time seemed to last forever it took such a long time to break free and get back in sync with the rest of the world. I found it almost like you are watching the rest of the world go by and you are stuck in a time warp bubble, you can't quite hear or see properly because you are stuck in the bubble and the rest of the world is rushing past at breakneck speed .

Today seemed such a long time ago that we were in that bubble, almost 2 years since our diagnosis and that time has given us so much , firstly it makes you appreciate every minute. Today Trevor has managed to help shovel gravel something 2 years ago I would never have imagined he would be able to do, Trevor today has been a hero OK not like our Kevlaa but a hero in my life .  He has shown that with the worst of prognosis and a little extra time and an awful lot of will power  people can still amaze and astound .

Time is the most precious thing that we have, make the most of it don't waste a single second , you know the old saying that you can't turn back time, well you can't but what you can do is make every second of the future count.  We wasted a lot of time in the begining , I suppose that is natural but know we are in a better place mentally and able to enjoy every moment. 

So even though we are in Extra Time or Borrowed Time whatever you want to call it we are so grateful for it. You can't buy it , You cant bottle it but you sure as heck need to enjoy every single moment of it.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:36
What a lovely post, Julie, and so true, love Janet, x
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:44

What a lovely post that can offer hope to so many.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:56
Wonderful post, I felt some of this today tool the doctor has finally put John on the correct tablets for his urine problems and what a difference it has made. A cheaper, generic tablet not only did not work but caused severe shaking. Now he's off that rubbish and on the good stuff he's been able to get out in the garden and enjoy some potting up of his plants etc. happy days.

With love

Allison xx

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:17

Great post Julie. The strange thing about time is that we know, in our heads, life is not timeless, that some time some day time will be called but we cannot deal with that so wrap this cloak of immortality around us. What your post so brilliantly illustrates is that a cancer diagnosis means we have to confront that mortality and if we can make each minute, each day fully acknowledged and engaged we can enjoy our life, however short or hopefully longer. I have found that philosophy has got me through three years so far but whatever time it gives me we can let the clock tick for itself whilst we concentrate on living, TG knew this as did all our good friends now departed.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:22

Thank you Julie for your lovely, inspiring, words

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:34
Lovely inspirational post gives some hope to us at the start of this journey.

Trish x

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 23:25

That is lovely Julie. xxxx

Good news Allison. xxxx

One of the people we do Prayers for, was told her father had hours left when he was last in A & E, several months later he is enjoying life, his PCa is negligible now, his daughter said, so prayers do get answered, and I still ask!

God Bless,
Chris.

Edited by member 26 Apr 2015 at 23:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 05:42
Julie my SS what a lovely post and all so very true.

TIME Today It Means Everything

for Tomorrow may never happen.

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 10:00

Julie, beautiful xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 10:21

Thanks Julie for putting your thoughts down so eloquently .. A very comforting and life affirming post. Georgina

Edited by member 27 Apr 2015 at 10:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:21
Julie beautiful post and so true

Carol

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:37
Inspiring

Arthur

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 18:39
Very thought provoking

Maureen x

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 18:59
Sounds lovely, we visited New York, Toronto and Washington DC and was one of our best holidays.

Paul was diognosed this month but at no time was our holiday in May not happening.. He made sure I was fully aware of that one!!

Live for today x

Lonners

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 20:45

Your wonderful post Julie will comfort and inspire many - especially those who have just started their journey.
Thank You,
Cobbles

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 21:00

Hi Lonners, you have probably already sorted this but your travel insurance provider will need to be informed before you go :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 21:20

That is an inspirational post Julie, it has to lift the spirits of anyone who reads it.

It was great to read about Trevor shovelling gravel and just being able to do something so normal, I look forwards to reading more of that in the future.

Enjoy yourselves
Andy

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 22:14
Julie, what you have written is so true except the bit about me being a hero. All I have done is what I can do. I am lucky that as of yet the disease and treatments have left my fitness 85% of what it was before so in some respects I am doing less than before.

What Trevor has done however is lose so much and then build it up again so he can shovel or whatever. That shows far more heroic mental strength as the easy thing to do would have been to accept an incorrect view on abilities because of too strong belief in the eventual fate.

May Trevor's belief continue to grow and you both take great pleasure in every positive step no matter how insignificant to others who are not in the place that we all are in here.

I think we all know the end will be what it will be but we all have a choice right now, be positive about every day and enjoy what we can or give up, one day I may be there but only when it's time not one second before.

Mind you Trevor may be concerned that having showed his hand in his abilities you will be writing a list of jobs to do now!!

Kevlaa

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 22:54

Thought provoking and a great reminder to count my blessings, not my worries, thankyou Julie x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:36
What a lovely post, Julie, and so true, love Janet, x
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:44

What a lovely post that can offer hope to so many.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 21:56
Wonderful post, I felt some of this today tool the doctor has finally put John on the correct tablets for his urine problems and what a difference it has made. A cheaper, generic tablet not only did not work but caused severe shaking. Now he's off that rubbish and on the good stuff he's been able to get out in the garden and enjoy some potting up of his plants etc. happy days.

With love

Allison xx

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:11

Brilliant news Allison, I am so glad that John is feeling well and enjoying the good weather.  In this instance I wish we could both slow down time and savour time .

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:17

Great post Julie. The strange thing about time is that we know, in our heads, life is not timeless, that some time some day time will be called but we cannot deal with that so wrap this cloak of immortality around us. What your post so brilliantly illustrates is that a cancer diagnosis means we have to confront that mortality and if we can make each minute, each day fully acknowledged and engaged we can enjoy our life, however short or hopefully longer. I have found that philosophy has got me through three years so far but whatever time it gives me we can let the clock tick for itself whilst we concentrate on living, TG knew this as did all our good friends now departed.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:22

Thank you Julie for your lovely, inspiring, words

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 22:34
Lovely inspirational post gives some hope to us at the start of this journey.

Trish x

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 23:25

That is lovely Julie. xxxx

Good news Allison. xxxx

One of the people we do Prayers for, was told her father had hours left when he was last in A & E, several months later he is enjoying life, his PCa is negligible now, his daughter said, so prayers do get answered, and I still ask!

God Bless,
Chris.

Edited by member 26 Apr 2015 at 23:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 05:42
Julie my SS what a lovely post and all so very true.

TIME Today It Means Everything

for Tomorrow may never happen.

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 10:00

Julie, beautiful xxx

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 10:21

Thanks Julie for putting your thoughts down so eloquently .. A very comforting and life affirming post. Georgina

Edited by member 27 Apr 2015 at 10:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:21
Julie beautiful post and so true

Carol

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:37
Inspiring

Arthur

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 18:39
Very thought provoking

Maureen x

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 18:59
Sounds lovely, we visited New York, Toronto and Washington DC and was one of our best holidays.

Paul was diognosed this month but at no time was our holiday in May not happening.. He made sure I was fully aware of that one!!

Live for today x

Lonners

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 20:45

Your wonderful post Julie will comfort and inspire many - especially those who have just started their journey.
Thank You,
Cobbles

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 21:00

Hi Lonners, you have probably already sorted this but your travel insurance provider will need to be informed before you go :-)

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 21:20

That is an inspirational post Julie, it has to lift the spirits of anyone who reads it.

It was great to read about Trevor shovelling gravel and just being able to do something so normal, I look forwards to reading more of that in the future.

Enjoy yourselves
Andy

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 22:14
Julie, what you have written is so true except the bit about me being a hero. All I have done is what I can do. I am lucky that as of yet the disease and treatments have left my fitness 85% of what it was before so in some respects I am doing less than before.

What Trevor has done however is lose so much and then build it up again so he can shovel or whatever. That shows far more heroic mental strength as the easy thing to do would have been to accept an incorrect view on abilities because of too strong belief in the eventual fate.

May Trevor's belief continue to grow and you both take great pleasure in every positive step no matter how insignificant to others who are not in the place that we all are in here.

I think we all know the end will be what it will be but we all have a choice right now, be positive about every day and enjoy what we can or give up, one day I may be there but only when it's time not one second before.

Mind you Trevor may be concerned that having showed his hand in his abilities you will be writing a list of jobs to do now!!

Kevlaa

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 22:54

Thought provoking and a great reminder to count my blessings, not my worries, thankyou Julie x