I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Am I over-thinking?

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 13:45

As some of you know my husband has just been diagnosed Gleeson 6 T2a-c and the testing to diagnosis has taken 6 months for various reasons, we have been told that no need for a Bone or MRI Scan as it is contained. The question I have and what is worrying me is that his last MRI Scan was 14th Nov 2014 so how do I know that it has not spread outside the prostate from Nov until now as over 5 months ago? He is considering Da Vinci or Brachytherapy so decisions will be made on that over the coming weeks, does anyone have words of wisdom regarding the MRI. Should I ask for another one before we make a decision on Operation?

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 20:40
Trish

My DX was mid December 2013, I had my MRI late December 2013 my bone scan early Jan 2014 and my CT scan three days before my DaVinci operation on 28th April 2014. My surgeon was quite relaxed about me waiting 4 months from DX to Op.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:02

Hi Trish,

I'm by no means a medical expert, but looking at your husbands low PSA and Gleason Score I would think it very unlikely that anything would change dramatically in a few months.

I was initially diagnosed with a PSA of 9.86 G 6 T2b NO MX and waited 3 and a half months for my op..

My consultant didn't even bother with a bone scan as he was confident that with my 'low' PSA and G6  together with the characteristics seen on my MRI scan that a bone scan was not needed.

He even said he would have no problem if I wanted to put off the op until the end of summer so that I could go away in my caravan for a few months..... needless to say, I didn't take him up on that offer!

I understand that some Health Authorities don't automatically carry out bone scans if your PSA and Gleason Score is considered low

Luther

Edited by member 28 Apr 2015 at 21:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:07

Trish

I was first diagnosed G6 in Aug 13. This was upgraded to G7 in November after a template biopsy, and had da Vinci in April last year. My PCa was analysed as aggressive but it was still contained. I am sure your OH will be fine, but I thoroughly understand your concern.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:23
Trish you are not over thinking at all you just want reassurance that the time scales are ok for your husband. It is common for the lapse from first test to surgery in a low Gleason and T2 stage disease to be as much as 6 months indeed many men go down the active surveillance route for much longer before opting for treatment.

Other men want surgery as soon as they can to just get it out.

This is a really stressful time for you both so continue to look at every angle and let your husband reach an informed decision on what he wants with your full support.

Just know we are all here to help in any way we can

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:55

Trish, I don't think you are over thinking as such. I had my biopsy in July, MRI in July & Bone Scan in August but I did not have my Brachytherapy until late January. So from diagnosis to treatment was almost 7 months. In hindsight I wish I had waited a little longer and taken a nice holiday before the implants. I was assured there was no rush as PC is slow growing and a few months would not make any difference. My PSA was 5.4, Gleason 3+4 and T2. 

So take your time, get all the facts you need before making your decision as to what treatment to have and try not to worry too much, although I know that's easier said than done.

All the best whatever you decide

Alan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 20:40
Trish

My DX was mid December 2013, I had my MRI late December 2013 my bone scan early Jan 2014 and my CT scan three days before my DaVinci operation on 28th April 2014. My surgeon was quite relaxed about me waiting 4 months from DX to Op.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:02

Hi Trish,

I'm by no means a medical expert, but looking at your husbands low PSA and Gleason Score I would think it very unlikely that anything would change dramatically in a few months.

I was initially diagnosed with a PSA of 9.86 G 6 T2b NO MX and waited 3 and a half months for my op..

My consultant didn't even bother with a bone scan as he was confident that with my 'low' PSA and G6  together with the characteristics seen on my MRI scan that a bone scan was not needed.

He even said he would have no problem if I wanted to put off the op until the end of summer so that I could go away in my caravan for a few months..... needless to say, I didn't take him up on that offer!

I understand that some Health Authorities don't automatically carry out bone scans if your PSA and Gleason Score is considered low

Luther

Edited by member 28 Apr 2015 at 21:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:07

Trish

I was first diagnosed G6 in Aug 13. This was upgraded to G7 in November after a template biopsy, and had da Vinci in April last year. My PCa was analysed as aggressive but it was still contained. I am sure your OH will be fine, but I thoroughly understand your concern.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:23
Trish you are not over thinking at all you just want reassurance that the time scales are ok for your husband. It is common for the lapse from first test to surgery in a low Gleason and T2 stage disease to be as much as 6 months indeed many men go down the active surveillance route for much longer before opting for treatment.

Other men want surgery as soon as they can to just get it out.

This is a really stressful time for you both so continue to look at every angle and let your husband reach an informed decision on what he wants with your full support.

Just know we are all here to help in any way we can

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:55

Trish, I don't think you are over thinking as such. I had my biopsy in July, MRI in July & Bone Scan in August but I did not have my Brachytherapy until late January. So from diagnosis to treatment was almost 7 months. In hindsight I wish I had waited a little longer and taken a nice holiday before the implants. I was assured there was no rush as PC is slow growing and a few months would not make any difference. My PSA was 5.4, Gleason 3+4 and T2. 

So take your time, get all the facts you need before making your decision as to what treatment to have and try not to worry too much, although I know that's easier said than done.

All the best whatever you decide

Alan

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 23:25
Thanks everyone for your replies,it just popped into my head this morning and thought I would ask you all and as usual got great advice and reassurance. My mind is at ease now so we will wait for the appointment with Oncologist and Surgeon before a decision is made on the route he will go down.

Thanks again,

Trish xx