Error

Diagnosed prostrate cancer

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 13:19
first I would like to say hello

My name is Richard H

I have just been diagnosed with Pc

Gleason score of 4+3,

I was took into hospital a&e with a serious water infection, bladder retention that it shut my kidneys down, apparently they connected a catherta and empties 3 1/2 ltrs out of me, during my stay I was told that my psa was 25. Something. 7 days later I was discharged and had appointment for a biopsy, I think for a lot of people on here I do not need to go into that part, lol. When I went to appointment for results, the nurse/ Mel told me that my tests were positive for cancer, informed me of the plan. I would have to have a bone scan and a Mri, I Mel that I had already had a bone scan. She checked and she said that looks normal. Now only an Mri scan now.

When I phoned my son in Portsmouth at first he was quite shocked, after we discussed my options after the Mri and the pragmatic way I deal with things he seemed calmer, the same for my youngest son, when he came home from work, friends came over to see me knowing that I had been to get my results,

They were a little shocked at first but then accepted it,

The day after I found out that John when he had got home sat on his bed and-broke down.

Other close friends on informing them were quite shocked,

I feel very humble with having my two sons and such lovely friends in my life.

I am a very pragmatic person and once I know what the problem is them my attitude is..... Ok let's crack on and get it sorted, whatever needs doing then do it.

I realised today that myself I am taking this very matter of fact and what needs doing,to do it.

But the affect it has on others is just as hard or harder.

Anyway enough for now

Thank you for listening

Richard H

Life is way too short to worry!
User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 14:11
Hi Richard

Welcome to this site, you will find a lot of help, support and encouragement here from people in the same situation. Your story very much mirrors mine, click on my name to see my profile. You can either download the Toolkit or order on line to be posted to you, many people here have used it and say it's very helpful.

Best wishes, Arthur

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 14:55

hi richard

not able to offer a lot of advise as still awaiting my results for mri and bone scan, its strange how we all react my initial reaction was of despair then I started to analise things, with a lot of help from this site.

My initial worry was as daft as it may sound was will I be able to run the london marathon on the 26th, and yes I did do it, been suprised by the amount of people affected by P.C. everyone I have spoken to has a story to tell, some good some not so, a chap told me today he had his removed by keyhole surgery a year ago and after a few months of incontinence back in the gym pumping iron. Others have recommended RT, but as everyone says its a personal choice.

The specalist nurses on here I have spoken to are really helpful, the tool kit is a great source of information.

My little saying whilst waiting for my results has been, hope its the best of the worst.

and as you say family and friends are shocked when you tell them, at one point I was feeling guilty for having P.C. and having to inform them

Edited by member 29 Apr 2015 at 14:57  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 16:30

Hello Richard and welcome.
Firstly, it's good news that the bone scan appears clear, now just the wait for the MRI.
Gleason 4+3 is not the worst that has appeared on here I can assure you.

Everyone on here will tell you that it is the waiting around for tests and then the horror of waiting again for results. It's a fact of PC life and hard to live with until it's sorted.

You don't say how old your sons are. If you are a pragmatic person then that may help you all, BUT because you are of a "matter of fact" nature please don't take the view that it's all doom and gloom, what will be will be sort of thing.
There are many treatments and options now for Prostate cancer and the original diagnosis does not automatically mean you are going to die from it.

It is a great help when attending hospital appointments to have somebody with you to help you take in all the information that will be given to you. It is perfectly acceptable to attend hospital with a notebook with questions already in it and a pencil for writing down the answers, and a relative or friend for support. Nobody can be expected to take it all in at once.

This is where it may be helpful for your sons. They can be proactive with going to the hospital with you (or the one that lives closest to you perhaps - he can then share that information with your other son.

To obtain the toolkit from this site go back to the home page, then PUBLICATIONS, then choose which ones you want. They can be sent to you free of charge or you can read them online.
Perhaps you could point your sons in that direction so that they can obtain as much information for themselves as they can. That way, they can feel like they are supporting you in every way.

It's very hard on families and friends to have a diagnosis like this, especially when they come out of the blue. It takes time for both the person with the cancer and everyone else to come to terms with it.

Good luck with the MRI. Please keep us posted on the results (IF you want to, of course) and if you feel your son(s) would benefit from coming on here there isn't anything to stop them joining in their own right to ask their own questions and get their own support from us all.

Helping each other is what we do best.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 20:36

Hi Richard

You will find a few of us 50 something's on here. I am 56 but was diagnosed when 53. My PSA was similar to yours. 2.5 years on and following two lots of radical treatment ie Prostate removal and Radiotherapy I am alive and kicking and not on any treatment (fingers crossed)

Take a look at my profile which details my journey. It may help.

Keep posting

Bri

User
Posted 09 May 2015 at 00:38
Hi Richard

Just finished the 7 1/2 weeks of R/T, 6 weeks ago and at the end of my 3 months Hormone T, feeling OK apart from a bit of tiredness & hot flushes , my Gleason was 3+4 = 7 ,PSA 6.41 .

I am sure you will be fine, I am 72 going on 73 , started walking again did 12 miles this week .

Good luck with the treatment ,keep positve and go forward.

Alan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 14:11
Hi Richard

Welcome to this site, you will find a lot of help, support and encouragement here from people in the same situation. Your story very much mirrors mine, click on my name to see my profile. You can either download the Toolkit or order on line to be posted to you, many people here have used it and say it's very helpful.

Best wishes, Arthur

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 14:55

hi richard

not able to offer a lot of advise as still awaiting my results for mri and bone scan, its strange how we all react my initial reaction was of despair then I started to analise things, with a lot of help from this site.

My initial worry was as daft as it may sound was will I be able to run the london marathon on the 26th, and yes I did do it, been suprised by the amount of people affected by P.C. everyone I have spoken to has a story to tell, some good some not so, a chap told me today he had his removed by keyhole surgery a year ago and after a few months of incontinence back in the gym pumping iron. Others have recommended RT, but as everyone says its a personal choice.

The specalist nurses on here I have spoken to are really helpful, the tool kit is a great source of information.

My little saying whilst waiting for my results has been, hope its the best of the worst.

and as you say family and friends are shocked when you tell them, at one point I was feeling guilty for having P.C. and having to inform them

Edited by member 29 Apr 2015 at 14:57  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 16:30

Hello Richard and welcome.
Firstly, it's good news that the bone scan appears clear, now just the wait for the MRI.
Gleason 4+3 is not the worst that has appeared on here I can assure you.

Everyone on here will tell you that it is the waiting around for tests and then the horror of waiting again for results. It's a fact of PC life and hard to live with until it's sorted.

You don't say how old your sons are. If you are a pragmatic person then that may help you all, BUT because you are of a "matter of fact" nature please don't take the view that it's all doom and gloom, what will be will be sort of thing.
There are many treatments and options now for Prostate cancer and the original diagnosis does not automatically mean you are going to die from it.

It is a great help when attending hospital appointments to have somebody with you to help you take in all the information that will be given to you. It is perfectly acceptable to attend hospital with a notebook with questions already in it and a pencil for writing down the answers, and a relative or friend for support. Nobody can be expected to take it all in at once.

This is where it may be helpful for your sons. They can be proactive with going to the hospital with you (or the one that lives closest to you perhaps - he can then share that information with your other son.

To obtain the toolkit from this site go back to the home page, then PUBLICATIONS, then choose which ones you want. They can be sent to you free of charge or you can read them online.
Perhaps you could point your sons in that direction so that they can obtain as much information for themselves as they can. That way, they can feel like they are supporting you in every way.

It's very hard on families and friends to have a diagnosis like this, especially when they come out of the blue. It takes time for both the person with the cancer and everyone else to come to terms with it.

Good luck with the MRI. Please keep us posted on the results (IF you want to, of course) and if you feel your son(s) would benefit from coming on here there isn't anything to stop them joining in their own right to ask their own questions and get their own support from us all.

Helping each other is what we do best.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 20:09

Thank you for the kind words and support.
Just got my date for Mir. Tuesday 5th may.
My two sons are 28 and 22.
Blade runner best of luck mate keep me informed and vise vera.
Thank you Arthur, will follow your progress also if that's ok?
Sandra, thank you for the info, I will chat to my sons and suggest this site to them.

I am 56 yrs

Edited by member 30 Apr 2015 at 20:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 20:36

Hi Richard

You will find a few of us 50 something's on here. I am 56 but was diagnosed when 53. My PSA was similar to yours. 2.5 years on and following two lots of radical treatment ie Prostate removal and Radiotherapy I am alive and kicking and not on any treatment (fingers crossed)

Take a look at my profile which details my journey. It may help.

Keep posting

Bri

User
Posted 08 May 2015 at 09:18
Hi all, just had my results from Mir scan.

After looking again at my biopsy results they have graded my Gleason score to an eight instead of a seven.

Apparently my options have been reduced to hormone and radiotherapy . Consisting of 3 months hormones the 71/2 weeks radiotherapy.

I was hoping that removal of prostrate would of been the better option, but apparently they do not want to do this procedure due to the risk of leaving anything behind.

Oh well onward and upwards, whatever it takes,

Thanks for listening guys

Richard

User
Posted 09 May 2015 at 00:38
Hi Richard

Just finished the 7 1/2 weeks of R/T, 6 weeks ago and at the end of my 3 months Hormone T, feeling OK apart from a bit of tiredness & hot flushes , my Gleason was 3+4 = 7 ,PSA 6.41 .

I am sure you will be fine, I am 72 going on 73 , started walking again did 12 miles this week .

Good luck with the treatment ,keep positve and go forward.

Alan