I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TreatmentOptions

User
Posted 03 May 2015 at 21:07

Since last posting when I was first diagnosed I've been on AS.  My recent blood test revealed my PSA had risen to 13.2 and I'm being referred on 16/5 to discuss treatment options.

I'm now at Stage 2 PCa localised, Gleeson score 6.  Can anyone offer advice as to which treatment path they took at this stage which may help me to make my mind up.  Also, side affects that you suffered and whether incontinence was permanent after the treatment.

I feel very confused at present.

User
Posted 03 May 2015 at 23:45

Hi, sorry you have had the dreaded news, it's a worrying time. I had a PSA of 5.8, Gleason 3+4. T2 localised when diagnosed last year. After considering all my treatment options I had Brachytherapy in January. It took me months to decide though, most confusing time of my life. Whether I have made the right choice only time will tell. The side effects have been pretty wearing really, terrible cystitis etc, but I am over that now and things have started to improve. No incontinence but the urgency to pee sometimes was pretty alarming. I have been told that I am unlucky as most men do not suffer  such severe side effects, just my bad luck to be one of the few. If you click on my name you can read some of my experiences. Good luck in whatever treatment you choose, there is plenty of help on here. I would suggest you send for the Toolkit from this site as it is a great help. Keep us informed as to your decision and if you need to ask any questions go ahead, people on here are all very helpful.

User
Posted 04 May 2015 at 09:06

Good morning George.
My husband ha similar scores. 5.9 /3+4/localised. He originally opted, like you for AS but after a year had to choose a treament.

It wasn't such a choice for him as he was determined he wasn't having an op or long term radiotherapy so he also chose Brachytherapy. I have kept his profile fairly up to date and as it's like a diary it will tell you what he was feeling/experiencing as time went on.

It is almost a year since the procedure and apart from an urgent need to pee sometimes he is pretty well. He did have some real discomfort in the bowel area every time he peed or had sexual intercourse but that has eased off now and barely bothers him. He says it lasts a few minutes.

Like Lyrical says, click on the name under the profile and go from there.

Don't forget the Toolkit from the site. All the information is in one place and you can do comparisons from treatment to treatment. Go to main page, information, then publications.

Every man's treatment decision is his own. All you can do is weigh up the pros and cons of each treatment. Some men prefer to have the whole thing removed in the hopes that it all goes away and he can forget about it. It works for some, but not for others.

Not every man will react the same with the same treatment. My husband, for instance, didn't get the cystitis but I know that for some it is a problem.

Good luck with your decision. The only advice I would give is to not rush into it. Be as happy with your choice as you can be. You are the one that has to live with that choice.

Best wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 May 2015 at 16:37
Hello,

In November my PSA was 7 and subsequently increased to 8. My biopsy showed Gleason 3+3 right side 4+3 left side. T1C.Scans indicated that no spread but the left side of the prostate , although contained, was showing signs if breaking out of the capsule.

I listened to the surgeon and oncologist but really my mind was already made up to have surgery. I am 58 and thought young enough to recover.

Had laperascopic prostatectomy on 30th March 2015. A little pain and two nights in hospital. 5 weeks on feeing fine but get tired easily. Had catheter removed after two weeks. I am having incontinence problems but it's early days and I am seeing an improvement daily.

All I can say is listen to all the advice you can before making your decision. No one will make it for you it has to be your choice.

I will know more about how succesful the op has been when I meet the surgeon again in June for feedback.

Paul

Edited by member 05 May 2015 at 09:54  | Reason: Not specified

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 May 2015 at 23:45

Hi, sorry you have had the dreaded news, it's a worrying time. I had a PSA of 5.8, Gleason 3+4. T2 localised when diagnosed last year. After considering all my treatment options I had Brachytherapy in January. It took me months to decide though, most confusing time of my life. Whether I have made the right choice only time will tell. The side effects have been pretty wearing really, terrible cystitis etc, but I am over that now and things have started to improve. No incontinence but the urgency to pee sometimes was pretty alarming. I have been told that I am unlucky as most men do not suffer  such severe side effects, just my bad luck to be one of the few. If you click on my name you can read some of my experiences. Good luck in whatever treatment you choose, there is plenty of help on here. I would suggest you send for the Toolkit from this site as it is a great help. Keep us informed as to your decision and if you need to ask any questions go ahead, people on here are all very helpful.

User
Posted 04 May 2015 at 09:06

Good morning George.
My husband ha similar scores. 5.9 /3+4/localised. He originally opted, like you for AS but after a year had to choose a treament.

It wasn't such a choice for him as he was determined he wasn't having an op or long term radiotherapy so he also chose Brachytherapy. I have kept his profile fairly up to date and as it's like a diary it will tell you what he was feeling/experiencing as time went on.

It is almost a year since the procedure and apart from an urgent need to pee sometimes he is pretty well. He did have some real discomfort in the bowel area every time he peed or had sexual intercourse but that has eased off now and barely bothers him. He says it lasts a few minutes.

Like Lyrical says, click on the name under the profile and go from there.

Don't forget the Toolkit from the site. All the information is in one place and you can do comparisons from treatment to treatment. Go to main page, information, then publications.

Every man's treatment decision is his own. All you can do is weigh up the pros and cons of each treatment. Some men prefer to have the whole thing removed in the hopes that it all goes away and he can forget about it. It works for some, but not for others.

Not every man will react the same with the same treatment. My husband, for instance, didn't get the cystitis but I know that for some it is a problem.

Good luck with your decision. The only advice I would give is to not rush into it. Be as happy with your choice as you can be. You are the one that has to live with that choice.

Best wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 May 2015 at 16:37
Hello,

In November my PSA was 7 and subsequently increased to 8. My biopsy showed Gleason 3+3 right side 4+3 left side. T1C.Scans indicated that no spread but the left side of the prostate , although contained, was showing signs if breaking out of the capsule.

I listened to the surgeon and oncologist but really my mind was already made up to have surgery. I am 58 and thought young enough to recover.

Had laperascopic prostatectomy on 30th March 2015. A little pain and two nights in hospital. 5 weeks on feeing fine but get tired easily. Had catheter removed after two weeks. I am having incontinence problems but it's early days and I am seeing an improvement daily.

All I can say is listen to all the advice you can before making your decision. No one will make it for you it has to be your choice.

I will know more about how succesful the op has been when I meet the surgeon again in June for feedback.

Paul

Edited by member 05 May 2015 at 09:54  | Reason: Not specified

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE