Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New member with prostate worries

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 17:45

Hello to all herein,

My name is Andreas and I am 53 years old.

I have recently developed some kind of Prostate problem and am only at the beginning of the diagnosis journey.

I am booked in to see a Urologist in 9 days time and am wondering what to expect at the consultation.

I have had an summary all clear as to the health of my Urinary tract, after having kidney function tests and a urinary tract Ultra-sound scan.

I have been telling them all along that I can feel the 'activity' is around the base of my bladder and that I have a lot of trouble emptying my bladder, not to mention the constant feeling of needing to go!

Please, if you are experienced/qualified or just very well informed, feel free to ask me anything about my symptoms.

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 20:11

Hi Andreas,

Have you had a PSA test?  This is a blood test that measures the Prostate Specific Antigen and can indicate a problem with the prostrate. An abnormal PSA result however, does NOT necessarily indicate that you have prostate cancer.

Your urologist will probably want to know more about your symptoms and I expect that they will want carry out a DRE (Digital Rectal Examination) to determine whether the prostate feels abnormal - again, not conclusive that you have prostate cancer.  Any suspicion and they will probably want book you in for a biopsy or MRI scan.  They would also book you in for a PSA test as routine.

From what you describe, your symptoms (to me) could be down to a whole manner of things which I'm sure your urologist will get to the bottom of (just like the DRE!). I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.

Flexi

ps. My experience is limited to my own prostate.

User
Posted 07 May 2015 at 12:50

Hi Andreas.

Firstly don't worry!! Easily said I know, but prostate problems are very common & so treatments are proven & very effective.

The urologist will possibly do a rectile examination & a flexible cystoscopy to check for an enlarged prostate. Both sound gross but are completly painless. He will also want a blood test if you haven't already had one which will give a psa score.

Try not to worry. The waiting is the worst thing!

Jim

User
Posted 27 May 2015 at 16:24

Well, that's a relief.

At least you are forewarned and forearmed now so you know where to come if you do end up needing advice.

You can also do your bit by spreading the word re: getting tested

Glad it all worked out right for you.
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 18:51

Hello Kerusker and welcome

I can't answer your queries but I'm sure somebody will be along who can ask the right questions.

In the meantime, you could try and download or obtain the site's TOOLKIT which is full of helpful information.
Go back to the homepage, then information, then publications. They are free.

Best Wishes
Sandra

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 20:11

Hi Andreas,

Have you had a PSA test?  This is a blood test that measures the Prostate Specific Antigen and can indicate a problem with the prostrate. An abnormal PSA result however, does NOT necessarily indicate that you have prostate cancer.

Your urologist will probably want to know more about your symptoms and I expect that they will want carry out a DRE (Digital Rectal Examination) to determine whether the prostate feels abnormal - again, not conclusive that you have prostate cancer.  Any suspicion and they will probably want book you in for a biopsy or MRI scan.  They would also book you in for a PSA test as routine.

From what you describe, your symptoms (to me) could be down to a whole manner of things which I'm sure your urologist will get to the bottom of (just like the DRE!). I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.

Flexi

ps. My experience is limited to my own prostate.

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 22:37

Thanks for the welcome Sandra.

No Flexi, I have not had a PSA test yet... As you say, the Urologist will probably make that decision.

Obviously I am hoping that this is a case of Prostatitis or similar, but I had to come here for advice and assurance, as it is probably the only place for the sort of questions and worries that I have.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 23:16

Somewhat surprised that you have not already had a PSA test which costs little. There are people on the forum that will have a good idea of what your urologist says when he makes a diagnosis after tests and scans, if you post it but in the absence of a diagnosis nobody should speculate which could add to your concern perhaps unnecessarily.

Barry
User
Posted 07 May 2015 at 06:55

It may surprise people that there hasn't been a PSA test but let's not forget urologists are not just about PCa.

From what Kerusker has said he has already had various tests. Perhaps the GP feels his problems are totally unrelated to the prostate.

The urologist will no doubt shed some light on this

Bri

User
Posted 07 May 2015 at 08:25

It sounds to me your problems are not related to prostrate cancer as you have not had a PSA test so that can be a relief or not . Hope all goes well.

User
Posted 07 May 2015 at 12:50

Hi Andreas.

Firstly don't worry!! Easily said I know, but prostate problems are very common & so treatments are proven & very effective.

The urologist will possibly do a rectile examination & a flexible cystoscopy to check for an enlarged prostate. Both sound gross but are completly painless. He will also want a blood test if you haven't already had one which will give a psa score.

Try not to worry. The waiting is the worst thing!

Jim

User
Posted 27 May 2015 at 11:38

Just to let you all know; I have had a preliminary all clear as to the health and condition of my prostate, but the recurrent UTIs are to be further investigated!

I wish all here, the very best of my wishes and thank those that helped or advised.

This has at least served to awaken me to these conditions and I am determined to do what I can to support my fellow men!

MfG, Andreas

User
Posted 27 May 2015 at 16:24

Well, that's a relief.

At least you are forewarned and forearmed now so you know where to come if you do end up needing advice.

You can also do your bit by spreading the word re: getting tested

Glad it all worked out right for you.
Sandra