I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HAPpy Trial - Brachytherapy,Clinical Trial,hemi-ablative

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 14:59

Just wondering if anyone else has signed up for the HAPpy Trial? It’s a clinical trial evaluating hemi-ablative low dose brachytherapy for localised prostate cancer. My procedure is in a fortnight and they are hoping that by only inserting the radioactive seeds in one half of my prostate (the side with the cancer) they will reduce any possible side effects.

dl

User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 20:51

Never heard of the Happy Trial but it does sound promising & less invasive. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Lyrical

User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 22:11

HAPpy is a small scale local trial at Guildford hospital. Below link is an abstract from the brachytherapy conference in March this year.

Interesting other reports included a review from Guys, a larger project that found survival rates are the same for brachy patients and those having surgery, although brachy patients suffer fewer immediate side effects, and a report on bladder cancer as a side effect of brachy or RT which concluded that bladder cancer was no more likely but if it does develop it tends to be more aggressive/invasive.

Some cheerful reading then :-)

http://www.prostatebrachytherapy.org.uk/abstracts/2015_ProstateBrachytherapyMeeting_A4_Abstracts.pdf

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 20:51

Never heard of the Happy Trial but it does sound promising & less invasive. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Lyrical

User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 22:11

HAPpy is a small scale local trial at Guildford hospital. Below link is an abstract from the brachytherapy conference in March this year.

Interesting other reports included a review from Guys, a larger project that found survival rates are the same for brachy patients and those having surgery, although brachy patients suffer fewer immediate side effects, and a report on bladder cancer as a side effect of brachy or RT which concluded that bladder cancer was no more likely but if it does develop it tends to be more aggressive/invasive.

Some cheerful reading then :-)

http://www.prostatebrachytherapy.org.uk/abstracts/2015_ProstateBrachytherapyMeeting_A4_Abstracts.pdf

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard