Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

BBC NEWS

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 14:58
Hi All

Not sure if you have seen this today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32723937 but it confirms that for advanced PC you should have chemo on diagnosis and not wait until the HT fails. Luckily for me that is what I got even though the report was not out when I was diagnosed. I would respectfully suggest that anyone who has been diagnosed with advanced PC but not been put on chemo , only hormone, then they should be having a discussion with their consultant now.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 14:58
Hi All

Not sure if you have seen this today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32723937 but it confirms that for advanced PC you should have chemo on diagnosis and not wait until the HT fails. Luckily for me that is what I got even though the report was not out when I was diagnosed. I would respectfully suggest that anyone who has been diagnosed with advanced PC but not been put on chemo , only hormone, then they should be having a discussion with their consultant now.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 19:36

Cheers Kev. Very interesting. I also noticed the other link about eating tomatoes. Within that article it mentioned ingredients found in calcium in dairy products reduced cancer risk when having optimal intake

Bri

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 19:59

I should have added this link: http://www.ascopost.com/ViewNews.aspx?nid=27615
which is from yesterday's conference bulletin.

Marje

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 08:37

The guest speaker oncologist spoke about early chemo on Saturday at our gathering - he says it is the big news of the year and the most exciting thing in the PCa world right now. The mean result is an average increase in life expectancy of 10 months as opposed to 3 months for Enzo or abiraterone ...... go for it!

Edited by member 24 Jun 2015 at 08:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 09:16

I don't know why you were told, Nidge, that the early chemo wasn't available when you first asked. Tony (see my post above) was offered it last November, on the basis of the US CHAARTED study.Like you, he was expecting to be put on to the Stampede trial and was rather thrown by this new option, but he made the same decision as you and is glad he did.

Glad for two main reasons:
1. He tolerated the chemo very well, with few side effects. You sound like a fit person and will probably cope well too.
2. Just recently - and this is probably what changed your onco's recommendations - another study's results on this were published. It's from an earlier arm of Stampede, and is very encouraging. For men with advanced disease, the (median) extra life expectancy is 22 months, so no wonder people are getting excited. When you know you only have a few years left, this makes the decision a no-brainer.

I hope it goes well for you.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 09:46
We have had several men in the last couple of years who have benefited from early chemo prior to these studdies reporting back, they have Oncolgists who think a little more adventurously! In every case that I know of the results have been very good although I believe there are some rare exceptions when the disease just does not respond to anything.

Also interesting that Nidge's consultant has gone for the 6 dose course, I think that Jamie once said that dose 7 - 10 on the pre stampede dose that was considered normal are of no significant benefit in his view and just prolong the treatment and possble side effects.

It is so encouraging that treatments that have been around for a long time are being used in a different way at a different time in the disease to prolong life and give hope for those in the advanced and incurable camp. I pray every day that the scientists and amazing people who dedicate their lives to research get their ultimate rewards ..... treatments and cures for most cancers.

Nidge I will try and post on your thread too

best wishes from a warm and sunny St Philbert sur Lie

xx

Mo

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 18:40
Quote:
LynEyre Our local hospital (a national centre of excellence) has its own private oncology service offering treatments that might not be available to the NHS patients; the income generated from the private work is used for research or to purchase the latest machines etc for the benefit of ALL patients. I think it is a great system.

I am not sure I can agree with you Lyn that it is a great system! Presented in the way you have may make it appear so but private care also leaches money, staff and resources away from NHS care. This is getting worse and more and more aspects of care are privatised. Indeed it is not always clear whether you are seeing an NHS service or a contracted out service. For me I would rather see an NHS which is nearer to its origins. We are drifting away from a system which is the envy of the world. I would not want to have to pay for my care nor will I do this if it is not available. I would not blame a cash starved NHS for this but government policy.

I think the other thing which the onco at MOTS said was that they had not yet seen the detail of the results and I suspect these will contain all sorts of caveats about success. Yes it is promising for some but not for all. It's not possible financially but more importantly it may lead to over treatment too.

Edited by member 30 Jun 2015 at 18:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 03:19

Yorkhull,

"We are drifting away from a system that is the envy of the world" Well it's been a long drift then because we have lagged behind other countries in Europe for years now, yet alone the world, so why would others envy us unless they come here from 3rd world countries for free treatment? Cancer survival rates are worse in the UK than many other European countries and as for hospital beds, see how poorly we compare here:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10768844/Hospital-bed-shortage-exposed.html One of our local hospitals is being threatened with bed closures even though there are bed shortages at the main hospital in our area. Instead of training sufficient indigenous doctors and nurses we poach trained - in some cases questionably trained medical people from other countries. In order to have a chemo unit at North Devon Hospital, the main Hospital in North Devon, local people had to run all sort of events to raise money to fund it, even going out with begging buckets. A system that's the envy of the world - I don't think so. Let's adopt one or a combination of the more successful systems used in mainland Europe in place of the NHS. It might cost a little more than we pay in taxes for the NHS but you get what you pay for.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 15:54

intresting will have to print off and take with me when I get my first appointment with oncologist

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 18:42
Yes, we have been awaiting this report with interest. Six months ago my husband Tony was offered early chemo soon after being diagnosed with advanced metastatic Pca. The results from a US trial were encouraging, while a French trial showed no significant benefit. It was a really difficult decision, and he was the first in our hospital to opt for the chemo, which he got through with few problems.

This Stampede trial is larger and UK-based, and more relevant to us. We are really pleased to see confirmation that for metastatic cancer, there could be a 22-month increase in average survival. This, when you're faced with just a few years of life, is a huge bonus. Of course it's all a matter of averages etc, but we're very glad that Tony chose the chemo option. It sounds as if it may soon become standard practice.

Marje

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 19:36

Cheers Kev. Very interesting. I also noticed the other link about eating tomatoes. Within that article it mentioned ingredients found in calcium in dairy products reduced cancer risk when having optimal intake

Bri

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 19:51

Kev
Thanks for bringing that to attention.
I haven't been offered chemo and am on HT only but with Enzo+Abi.
I'm seeing my on on on Monday so will also ask the question.
Cheers
Paul

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 19:59

I should have added this link: http://www.ascopost.com/ViewNews.aspx?nid=27615
which is from yesterday's conference bulletin.

Marje

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 23:00

I think this research is potentially a game changer in terms of treatment but will raise many questions about affordability. I have been over three years on HT even though diagnosed with advanced metatastic PCa, I still have many options ahead including chemo etc once I become castrate resistant. In the meantime this research will be discussed at my next meeting with my consultant to see if will invoke a change in my treatment path. Part of me now wants to continue as long as I can on HT, given its relative success but will see what these findings do to my treatment plan.

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 23:18
I will never know if chemo administered at the outset would have helped Mick but from all I have seen and read I am pretty sure it would have. I would advocate to anyone with advanced PCa who is fit and reasonably strong go for this, the side effects of chemo are short lived the side effects of HT are not they are life changing.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 04:45
I may have misread however it appears that what is being suggested is HT and chemo from day 1. This appears to let the HT ( zoladex?) work for longer and I guess means that when it fails the cancer is smaller than it would have been on just HT alone . I also think that at a later stage ie when HT fails you can have chemo again.

The problem with all research is that it is already out of date as people on this study by definition had advanced PC over 5 years ago and as such other advancements may not have been available in the early stages.

For someone who has just finished 6 cycles of chemo I have to say it was a bit if a breeze, yes some side effects but none too bad none long lasting, maybe I was lucky or as is the case in cancer my combination of genes, age, fitness, diet etc etc worked well other combinations are better at other things but not docetaxl.

The other challenge for statistics is all about time of diagnosis, I will never know at what time I went from G7 to G9 of indeed how long I have been at G9 nir will I know how long it had broken out of the prostate so my diagnosis day could have been a month, year etc more or less than others.

Today however is a good day so am gonna live it.

Kev

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 08:29

It's always going to be the case that by the time a longitudinal study like this can publish results (to put it brutally, and probably inaccuratey, they need to wait until half of the sample group have died, so that they have a mean survival time). It is therefore true that the treatments now used in the later stages of Pca were not available for some of the surveyed men, who might have survived longer - with or without chemo - if they had the drugs now used.

On the basis of what is now known, it does make sense for newly diagnosed men to consider the early chemo option, especially if they are relatively young and fit. Docetaxel is out of patent now and not an expensive treatment. But as to whether men who've been diagnosed for several years would benefit ..... no one knows.

Tony has been told that further chemo at a later stage is not ruled out, but that the current drug of choice (name escapes me now) for this has recently become unavailable or unfunded. However, this is a fast changing scene, and other options may be around when the time comes.

For now, as Kev says, today is a good day, and we look forward to enjoying the summer.
Marje

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 12:16

Also saw this and the BBC pointed out what a serious cancer PCa is which I appreciated as we have had recent threads saying how it is often talked down in terms of this.

Like you, Mo, I will never know if Neil would have benefited from this on diagnosis, I only know I wasn't happy he was only on HT and a bit of RT to the prostate when nine months later we were told he should have had Chemo from the start . Advantage of having an opinion from a consultant in the know  and who was bang up to date on all current research !

Great news that men diagnosed now have something to potentially give them hope and buy more time !!

Fiona.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 07:38

morning

I know have posted elsewhere but it is relevant to this topic

on my previous visit with onco I asked about this treatment which has concluded from stampede trial but was informed that it was at this time not being offered by NHS

so on tuesday 23/6/15 imagine my suprise to be offered this treatment instead of going on the stampede trial.

needless to say it completely knocked my train of thought, we where expecting to discuss tests prior to stampede and how this would progress, onco and nurse said they would give me time to have a think and call me in a week

treatment for the docetaxel would be 6 visits every 3 weeks 90min sessions, they will delay start of tests and treatment untill I return from holidays in august which means start in early sept with CT scan being booked on 1st sept

with me on visit where rlass, daughter and my brother, we discssed this afterwards, daughters comment was

'dad if you did not have PCa and some one said if you where offered a treatment which is proven against treatment that is still being tested what would you do'

only one option really on that statement, contacted onco nurse and told her I would accept the docetaxel treatment.

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 08:37

The guest speaker oncologist spoke about early chemo on Saturday at our gathering - he says it is the big news of the year and the most exciting thing in the PCa world right now. The mean result is an average increase in life expectancy of 10 months as opposed to 3 months for Enzo or abiraterone ...... go for it!

Edited by member 24 Jun 2015 at 08:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 09:16

I don't know why you were told, Nidge, that the early chemo wasn't available when you first asked. Tony (see my post above) was offered it last November, on the basis of the US CHAARTED study.Like you, he was expecting to be put on to the Stampede trial and was rather thrown by this new option, but he made the same decision as you and is glad he did.

Glad for two main reasons:
1. He tolerated the chemo very well, with few side effects. You sound like a fit person and will probably cope well too.
2. Just recently - and this is probably what changed your onco's recommendations - another study's results on this were published. It's from an earlier arm of Stampede, and is very encouraging. For men with advanced disease, the (median) extra life expectancy is 22 months, so no wonder people are getting excited. When you know you only have a few years left, this makes the decision a no-brainer.

I hope it goes well for you.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 09:46
We have had several men in the last couple of years who have benefited from early chemo prior to these studdies reporting back, they have Oncolgists who think a little more adventurously! In every case that I know of the results have been very good although I believe there are some rare exceptions when the disease just does not respond to anything.

Also interesting that Nidge's consultant has gone for the 6 dose course, I think that Jamie once said that dose 7 - 10 on the pre stampede dose that was considered normal are of no significant benefit in his view and just prolong the treatment and possble side effects.

It is so encouraging that treatments that have been around for a long time are being used in a different way at a different time in the disease to prolong life and give hope for those in the advanced and incurable camp. I pray every day that the scientists and amazing people who dedicate their lives to research get their ultimate rewards ..... treatments and cures for most cancers.

Nidge I will try and post on your thread too

best wishes from a warm and sunny St Philbert sur Lie

xx

Mo

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 11:07

thank you all

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 13:25

Hi everyone

I was refused early docetaxel treatment a couple of weeks ago at a Notts hospital (I started hormone therapy in January). They said that all East Midlands trusts have the same policy and early docetaxel will only become available when officially 'funded', which may be many months yet.

I wonder if those who have been given treatment could indicate which regions they are in? The nurse I spoke to said that in principle a GP could refer to an NHS trust elsewhere, but I don't know if this is a realistic possibility.

Very many thanks.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 14:55

We are in south Devon (Torbay Hospital) which I'm afraid won't be much help to you.
It seems so unfair.

Marje

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 16:34

south yorkshire

Edited by member 29 Jun 2015 at 16:35  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 16:36
Sorry I am private, I did not realise until a few weeks ago that I would not have been offered on NHS as my oncol did not ever make the point previously. It is interesting but my oncol said that for the first time ever he is considering taking out private health insurance as this and cancer drugs fund fiasco make him less confident that he would get what is best should he ever sadly have the need. Kev

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 17:11

99turbo,
I think you need to find out whether any oncology centres in your area are taking part in the trial. Early dexa has not been approved for NHS yet and may never be as the hospitals wouldn't be able to cope with the huge upsurge in demand.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2015 at 17:29

It sounds as if we've been lucky then. Tony was offered early docetaxol without asking, last November. This is not as part of any trial, it was just regarded as an appropriate treatment. His oncologist showed us the CHAARTED trial results, which had, even at that time, led to a recommendation that newly diagnosed patients with advanced Pca should be offered this treatment if they wanted it. We do know that men who were much older were not offered it (T was 66), and also that he was the first man to accept the offer of this treatment - several others had turned it down. So I'm not so sure there would be a huge surge in demand. But anyway, it seems to be possible in some areas to have this treatment as a normal part of NHS care.
Marje

Edited by member 29 Jun 2015 at 18:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 14:40

After hearing our guest speaker (Oncologist 'J') at the Mill on 20th June, it came as no surprise when our speaker at South Tyneside Support Group last night, (an oncologist from Newcastle Freeman Hospital) immediately started his talk with the 'exciting' news of success in early chemo given to patients with advanced PCa.

Apparently all the data is coming in from the early Stampede trials.

It does seem the oncology community is buzzing with this development.

Edited by member 30 Jun 2015 at 17:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 16:44
Am I correct in my understanding of this thread that private patients are given/offered the drugs that NHS patients are not?

Alison

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 17:11
In my case yes although I am not sure if the rules have changed in some trusts recently following the study findings of a 22 month average life expectancy increase but it is clearly hit and miss ( sadly).

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 17:49
Can you speak to another Onco to get his/her opinion?

You are right to look to other trusts or to trials to get what you need.

This is not right having to go through all this additional stress.

Does anyone know what the costs involved are?

Alison

Edited by member 30 Jun 2015 at 17:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 18:23
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Am I correct in my understanding of this thread that private patients are given/offered the drugs that NHS patients are not?

Alison

Yes, of course! 13 years ago my dad sold nearly everything he had to get a nerve-sparing RP privately because it wasn't available on the NHS. He was in the bed next to a young guy who had taken out a £30,000 loan to get heart surgery in the hope of seeing his very small children grow up - the NHS cannot provide everything to everyone any more, the clinicians have to make decisions about efficient use of resources. Fee paying patients don't have to wait for an application to the cancer drugs fund or for their CCG to decide whether they are 'worth' a treatment. Our local hospital (a national centre of excellence) has its own private oncology service offering treatments that might not be available to the NHS patients; the income generated from the private work is used for research or to purchase the latest machines etc for the benefit of ALL patients. I think it is a great system.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 18:24

The cost of six cycles of docetaxel is, I think, around £5 -6000. I don't suppose this includes the hospital costs in administering it, but as treatments go, it's not an expensive one, and the significant increase in life expectancy, as shown in the recent Stampede results, must surely make it good value for money.
Marje

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 18:40
Quote:
LynEyre Our local hospital (a national centre of excellence) has its own private oncology service offering treatments that might not be available to the NHS patients; the income generated from the private work is used for research or to purchase the latest machines etc for the benefit of ALL patients. I think it is a great system.

I am not sure I can agree with you Lyn that it is a great system! Presented in the way you have may make it appear so but private care also leaches money, staff and resources away from NHS care. This is getting worse and more and more aspects of care are privatised. Indeed it is not always clear whether you are seeing an NHS service or a contracted out service. For me I would rather see an NHS which is nearer to its origins. We are drifting away from a system which is the envy of the world. I would not want to have to pay for my care nor will I do this if it is not available. I would not blame a cash starved NHS for this but government policy.

I think the other thing which the onco at MOTS said was that they had not yet seen the detail of the results and I suspect these will contain all sorts of caveats about success. Yes it is promising for some but not for all. It's not possible financially but more importantly it may lead to over treatment too.

Edited by member 30 Jun 2015 at 18:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 20:52

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

I will try to see if my GP is prepared to refer elsewhere, e.g. Bladerunner South Yorks would be OK for me.

My oncology nurse says they are preparing a list of patients for the treatment, but it's definitely not going to happen until it's approved. If funded by private means e.g. insurance no problem. One condition for NHS funding apparently is that the trial results have to published in a peer-reviewed journal, and this will take a few months at least (even the US trial results from last year haven't been published in this way yet unless anyone knows differently). The consultant also warned me that it may only be offered to those starting hormone therapy, and not men already on it, because (as pointed out by Marje) the backlog will be a problem rather than the drug cost - the excuse will be that the trial doesn't actually prove that it works for men who have been on HT for some time although it seems pretty obvious to most of us that it is likely to help. See http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ncdf-summ-docetaxel.pdf for some discussion of this re the US results.

Alison, I have asked for consultation in the Birmingham region, and if necessary will go private but I don't like to. I'd rather do that than pay the same people who refused NHS treatment in Notts!

The ominous thing about all this is that with NHS staff shortages, the present generation of guys on HT may not get this treatment in some regions. The cruel irony (and false economy) is that most will end up getting it later when it is of less benefit. We should perhaps be getting on to our GPs, MPs, newspapers etc. to point this out.

Again many, many thanks to you all.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 23:12

The point is that this is not just about money. Most oncology departments don't have the capacity to deal with that many additional patients - there is a finite number of appointments, they can't magic extra clinic time out of nowhere. These are the most likely reasons for a delay in NICE approving early chemo for men with PCa - and I think the delay is going to be years rather than months. Chemo is far cheaper than abby-tabby, enza, etc and (for those for whom it works, although it doesn't work for everyone) the extension to life is significantly more but there are many many more men likely to fit the criteria which means they need a gatekeeping system. In the meantime, trials seem to be the best bet?

Paul, I used to agree with you but the world is not going to go back to how it was - three successive Governments have made sure of that.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2015 at 23:47

If they had more money, could they have more buildings for the admin staff to work on their computers with appointment spreadsheets and make more appointments for the more Oncos paid for with the if only sufficient in place funding to deal with?

At the end of the day the options are less, the facilities are reduced, and if there was more funding, this would not be the case. The simplicity of it appears to me to be that with efficiency savings (Cutbacks without mentioning the C word) and lack of investment to match increasing demand, there is less for those that need it.

Fudning? S'wot it's all about.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 03:19

Yorkhull,

"We are drifting away from a system that is the envy of the world" Well it's been a long drift then because we have lagged behind other countries in Europe for years now, yet alone the world, so why would others envy us unless they come here from 3rd world countries for free treatment? Cancer survival rates are worse in the UK than many other European countries and as for hospital beds, see how poorly we compare here:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10768844/Hospital-bed-shortage-exposed.html One of our local hospitals is being threatened with bed closures even though there are bed shortages at the main hospital in our area. Instead of training sufficient indigenous doctors and nurses we poach trained - in some cases questionably trained medical people from other countries. In order to have a chemo unit at North Devon Hospital, the main Hospital in North Devon, local people had to run all sort of events to raise money to fund it, even going out with begging buckets. A system that's the envy of the world - I don't think so. Let's adopt one or a combination of the more successful systems used in mainland Europe in place of the NHS. It might cost a little more than we pay in taxes for the NHS but you get what you pay for.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jul 2015 at 14:36

Just an update from my previous post about not getting chemo + hormone therapy on the NHS yet.

I had some advice from a second consultant who said that in his private clinic the only patients having chemo+HT were those with high-volume disease (i.e. metastases to lung, liver etc.) and recommended waiting a few months to see how the NHS situation develops. He also said that he expected NICE would approve treatment for all on HT, not just those starting.

I hope people find this reassuring. Hopefully also those with high-volume disease are getting the right treatment.