I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

do's & dont's of relating to someone with cancer

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 10:43

This article was written by Jayne Sykes a writer and journalist who has lived with cancer for  12 years. I just thought some of it was interesting. Of course it is not prostate related but the principle is exactly the same.

xx

Mo

People's reactions to my diagnosis of breast cancer in 2003 (followed by an unrelated diagnosis of colon cancer in 2004) stuck in my mind more than I might have expected, considering my state of numbed shock at the time. There were some who looked embarrassed and uncomfortable, shuffling away as fast as decency permitted; others who flung their arms around me in a parody of grief; and those - mainly family and close friends - whose quiet presence was my rock and salvation throughout the months that followed.

Cancer used to be something that wasn't really talked about. In my parents' generation, the word was mouthed silently or whispered in hushed tones, as if to speak its name aloud might attract the disease's attention to the one uttering it. Nowadays, it's right out in the open with the latest advertising campaign from Cancer Research UK declaring open war in the form of the battle cry: "Cancer, we're coming to get you!"

I'm not sure whether today's proliferation of information on cancer comes from a heightened awareness of the disease and a change in social attitudes towards discussing it, or whether there really is more of it about these days. Either way, we all know someone who has been affected by cancer one way or another.

It's hard to know what to say to someone who has undergone a traumatic, life-changing event such as a cancer diagnosis. People are terrified of saying the wrong thing. Although nothing you say to a person with cancer can make it any worse for them, behaving authentically towards them can make a positive difference. There's no doubt that genuine human contact can be immensely fortifying in times of crisis.

One of my close friends, who didn't know what to say, simply said that she didn't know what to say. And that was fine. She was there for me throughout the whole ordeal and that was what mattered.

So, here are my general "dos and don'ts" for approaching someone diagnosed with cancer:

1. DO go and see them in person (unless you live on the other side of the world) instead of sending a message or talking on the phone. Hand-holding can be very comforting, if done spontaneously and without awkwardness, and is one of the many things that can't be done virtually.

2. DO offer practical help, such as looking after children, cooking meals, driving them to appointments, doing their shopping, weeding their garden, or even just putting the wheelie bin out for them every week. There are so many little things that you don't think of straight away but which can make such a difference; we had a neighbour who walked our dog for us, which was an immense help.

3. DO act authentically. Hug if you're a huggy person, but don't do it if you're not just because you feel it might be expected; your innate resistance will come across.

4. DO offer to walk with them. An odd one, this, but my sister walked for miles every day with me in the first weeks and months and it never failed to make me feel better.

5. DO listen without giving advice, unless asked for it. My husband - and again, my sister (I recommend that anyone diagnosed with cancer should obtain a sister, either their own or someone else's) - would listen to me endlessly talking over the same ground, repeating myself, pouncing on and second-guessing every word that fell from a doctor's lips, wailing "what if" and "if only", and railing about the unfairness of it all.

6. DON'T mouth platitudes or say anything you don't mean. Saying nothing at all is preferable. You might feel awkward just being there in silence, but it isn't about you. Some people dislike terms such as "fighting" or, even worse somehow, "battling" cancer. I personally loathe that expression, and I've read recently that people with cancer tend to do better by focusing on healing rather than the battle imagery.

6. DON'T tell them that they're "so brave" or that you couldn't possibly cope as well as them if it happened to you. Being brave is about having a choice whether or not to do something you're afraid of. Cancer patients don't have that choice. When you have cancer, some people like to put you in a different category to them - a category reserved for those brave, strong beings who can cope with cancer - as if it only happens to people who can deal with it. Basically, they feel the need to distance themselves from the knowledge that it could just as easily happen to them.

7. DON'T say you know how they feel because your parent/friend/dog had cancer. Unless you've had it yourself - and even then, it's a different experience for everyone - you don't.

3. DON'T - and this is the big one - tell them to stay positive. A person with cancer really doesn't need to feel like it's their own fault for not managing to be positive enough if they have a poor outcome. Sometimes they will feel the very opposite of positive, often at 3am when everyone else is asleep and the shadows are full of nightmares and they feel more alone and terrified than they've ever felt in their lives. Don't put that kind of pressure on them.

These guidelines are, of course, sweeping generalisations based purely on my personal experience and the feelings of a few people I've talked to. They may be way off the mark for others, so please be guided by your instincts and personal knowledge of your loved one. If you can take a moment to try to put aside your own feelings and reach out to them, you won't go far wrong.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 20:30

And, having just read Fiona's post, I just wanted to add, that this weekend at a function I met, actually "encountered", an Evangelical preacher, AKA "a t***", if the auto censure function kicks join that is a "T" and a "W" and an "A" and a "T", who assured me that he knew of people who had been cured of cancer by the power of prayer. Hallay ydoolb rule yah.

I am all for "blue sky thinking" but give me a break from "pie in the sky thinking".

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 10:43

This article was written by Jayne Sykes a writer and journalist who has lived with cancer for  12 years. I just thought some of it was interesting. Of course it is not prostate related but the principle is exactly the same.

xx

Mo

People's reactions to my diagnosis of breast cancer in 2003 (followed by an unrelated diagnosis of colon cancer in 2004) stuck in my mind more than I might have expected, considering my state of numbed shock at the time. There were some who looked embarrassed and uncomfortable, shuffling away as fast as decency permitted; others who flung their arms around me in a parody of grief; and those - mainly family and close friends - whose quiet presence was my rock and salvation throughout the months that followed.

Cancer used to be something that wasn't really talked about. In my parents' generation, the word was mouthed silently or whispered in hushed tones, as if to speak its name aloud might attract the disease's attention to the one uttering it. Nowadays, it's right out in the open with the latest advertising campaign from Cancer Research UK declaring open war in the form of the battle cry: "Cancer, we're coming to get you!"

I'm not sure whether today's proliferation of information on cancer comes from a heightened awareness of the disease and a change in social attitudes towards discussing it, or whether there really is more of it about these days. Either way, we all know someone who has been affected by cancer one way or another.

It's hard to know what to say to someone who has undergone a traumatic, life-changing event such as a cancer diagnosis. People are terrified of saying the wrong thing. Although nothing you say to a person with cancer can make it any worse for them, behaving authentically towards them can make a positive difference. There's no doubt that genuine human contact can be immensely fortifying in times of crisis.

One of my close friends, who didn't know what to say, simply said that she didn't know what to say. And that was fine. She was there for me throughout the whole ordeal and that was what mattered.

So, here are my general "dos and don'ts" for approaching someone diagnosed with cancer:

1. DO go and see them in person (unless you live on the other side of the world) instead of sending a message or talking on the phone. Hand-holding can be very comforting, if done spontaneously and without awkwardness, and is one of the many things that can't be done virtually.

2. DO offer practical help, such as looking after children, cooking meals, driving them to appointments, doing their shopping, weeding their garden, or even just putting the wheelie bin out for them every week. There are so many little things that you don't think of straight away but which can make such a difference; we had a neighbour who walked our dog for us, which was an immense help.

3. DO act authentically. Hug if you're a huggy person, but don't do it if you're not just because you feel it might be expected; your innate resistance will come across.

4. DO offer to walk with them. An odd one, this, but my sister walked for miles every day with me in the first weeks and months and it never failed to make me feel better.

5. DO listen without giving advice, unless asked for it. My husband - and again, my sister (I recommend that anyone diagnosed with cancer should obtain a sister, either their own or someone else's) - would listen to me endlessly talking over the same ground, repeating myself, pouncing on and second-guessing every word that fell from a doctor's lips, wailing "what if" and "if only", and railing about the unfairness of it all.

6. DON'T mouth platitudes or say anything you don't mean. Saying nothing at all is preferable. You might feel awkward just being there in silence, but it isn't about you. Some people dislike terms such as "fighting" or, even worse somehow, "battling" cancer. I personally loathe that expression, and I've read recently that people with cancer tend to do better by focusing on healing rather than the battle imagery.

6. DON'T tell them that they're "so brave" or that you couldn't possibly cope as well as them if it happened to you. Being brave is about having a choice whether or not to do something you're afraid of. Cancer patients don't have that choice. When you have cancer, some people like to put you in a different category to them - a category reserved for those brave, strong beings who can cope with cancer - as if it only happens to people who can deal with it. Basically, they feel the need to distance themselves from the knowledge that it could just as easily happen to them.

7. DON'T say you know how they feel because your parent/friend/dog had cancer. Unless you've had it yourself - and even then, it's a different experience for everyone - you don't.

3. DON'T - and this is the big one - tell them to stay positive. A person with cancer really doesn't need to feel like it's their own fault for not managing to be positive enough if they have a poor outcome. Sometimes they will feel the very opposite of positive, often at 3am when everyone else is asleep and the shadows are full of nightmares and they feel more alone and terrified than they've ever felt in their lives. Don't put that kind of pressure on them.

These guidelines are, of course, sweeping generalisations based purely on my personal experience and the feelings of a few people I've talked to. They may be way off the mark for others, so please be guided by your instincts and personal knowledge of your loved one. If you can take a moment to try to put aside your own feelings and reach out to them, you won't go far wrong.

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 09:13

I learnt about this when I had testicular cancer over 30 years ago. Many people will get it wrong when they communicate with you, sometimes because they choose the wrong words though sometimes because that is the way we are that day. It is a roller coaster of emotions that makes most people run for cover and aschew conversation. I tried to demystify it for my friends and family. Make cancer ordinary so that we can have a joke or have a serious conversation, whichever people prefer. When cancer revisited me with PCa I knew it was terminal and I would not reach that old age we so often seek after. I was determined to meet it positively not because others told me so but because in my heart I knew that that was the best way for me to deal with this disease.

For me it's wider than cancer. It's how we view illness in general. I refuse to define myself as an ill person. I know I have ailments and some of them are serious but what brings me friends and interest is just me being me. So cancer may be the illness which defeats me but someday an illness will defeat me whatever I want. Facing that helps me confront the present. I would still be facing those big questions if it wasn't t PCa because we all face them. So I am happy to talk with friends and acquaintances about what is happening. I will help those struggling with the words, I will have a joke on me if that helps me deal with the realities and I will accept that people will get it wrong. People will say to me 'oh you have a long time to go don't give up!' I never give up but I am not going to waste my dreams on unrealistic scenarios so I have planned for dying in the midst of a period in my life where I am focused and happy with the present. It's got me through the last three years and maybe I might get three years more. Does not matter whether it is three years more or six months. It is the quality of our time on earth that drives me.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:59

A very interesting conversation, I do agree with Barry that as human beings we are all so varied that what might be appropriate in some situations would be unacceptable in others.  Also  just having cancer can be  so emotional and emotions aren't rationale , it is dealing with grief on a daily basis. I mean grief in the sense of loss, loss for the life that you had because it will never be the same. 

Some one can say something to me in the morning that I let pass over my head in the afternoon it may be a different story. Our first visit to our Oncologist kind of went like this bearing in mind you only retain certain words in your head, so Terminal , Palliative, spread to bones, spread to lymph nodes , sadly chemo will not be advised and then those famous last words but staying POSITIVE is helpful . I remember thinking what the F..ck did he just say , I thought I had misheard him.  Then I realised it's written on the bottom of the notes tell them they are dying first and then throw in the POSITIVE word that will make them feel loads better.

I also don't like the terms courages or that people are battling cancer, it some how infers that if you are not feeling brave or LOSING THE BATTLE that you didn't fight hard enough. How ever you look at it  Cancer is pretty Sh.t wether your prognosis is good or not , it's hard . 

My take on what to say I think as long as you are genuine and it's from the heart then that's what matters . Of course the only people that will understand and always say the right thing are those that are travelling the same path.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 20:22

My friend Bob was diagnosed cancer around early 2000's, and had various bits removed from his face and neck and jaw. He looked ugly. He came over to see me. 6 foot 4 of ugly bloke walked up my drive towards me. I remember what I said, and I remember his response.

Me "God, you look ugly".

Him "(laughing) I know I can rely on you to tell it as it is Dave". And we just hugged, and cried.

My Son's mother diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in 2010, and when she told me she added don't Google it, there's nothing good about it online. Remember that line from the programme on TV with Sheridan Smith in the C Word?  What could I, or anyone say to her?

For whatever reason C is here, it is now, and will affect us all in one way or another.

Don't be too hard on those who you tell who then caught like a rabbit in the headlights and struggling for something to come back with suggest that "You will be fine". Or in the case of PCa who say you are lucky to get that one as it's a slow burner". PMSL Yeah right. Tell that to someone with aggressive PCa and with Mets!

It's hard, actually impossible for them, too.

dave

Edited by member 17 May 2015 at 20:24  | Reason: Not specified

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:36

Some people also engage their mouth before their brain, my boss who is actually a good guy, said to me when I told him (literally 5 minutes after being told i had PCa over the phone) "don't tell Jo (a colleague) as her brother died of that".

I also hate the "well that's the one to get" brigade...and "you look well" but they always miss off the "considering"

As for battling the cancer I've done a deal with my body....along with the remnants of RT its going to crack on kicking the cancers ass while I get on with life...After all I owe it to my body don't I or what's the point ;-)

Bri

Edited by member 18 May 2015 at 20:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:40
RT

Your friend is either in that "oh my God what do I say and do now" status or he is just not a very good friend.

Do not be sad that you opened up to him but just be sad that he was not capable or possibly friend enough to handle it.

You know now that the people here do not judge, do not turn their backs on those who want help and do not shy away from answering the most embarassing ( or seemingly so) questions. We are a community and IMHO a bloody good one.

Best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 13:13

Five years ago, when our daughter was coming to the end of our 13 year old grandson's treatment for inoperable cancer she herself was then diagnosed with colon cancer and had a colonostomy at 38.
She and our son in law coped brilliantly, never moaning, never say why us. They just got on with it. Our boy's treatment had to be barbaric in order for it to work and my husband still has bad memories of seeing him with a custom made mask being strapped to a table in order for the radiotherapy to be positioned accurately. All this without a measure of moaning from any of them. If you told them they were brave, even the 13 year old, they would look at you like you were stupid or something and tell you it had nothing to do with bravery - they just needed to get on with it.

During grandson's cancer people were brilliant, they couldn't do enough to help.
The school was fantastic and his schoolmates took it upon themselves to approach the headmaster and ask for permission to collect for teenage cancer trust, going to every year in the school.

They look like the kind of lads you would avoid walking past, but my goodness, they worked so hard and raised a lot of money.

They would visit when he was home to try and take his mind off the ongoing treatment. My daughter's friends had collections and bought him things like an ipod etc.. Son in law's company said to ask him what he would like to have and he said a shed in the garden for when he was better and his friends came round. They paid for and erected a two room, double skinned building with a proper space for a portable toilet.

When it was my daughter's turn, my beautiful brave daughter, who coped with the mutilation of her body with the words "It looks like a rose How could I hate it - it saved my life" was surprised that many of the people she counted as friends didn't keep in touch, or if she went into town she would actually see them cross the road to avoid talking to her.

Maybe it was all too much for them, I don't know. I do know she felt abandoned by them. They had been happy enough to stop her in the street and ask how our grandson was getting on but couldn't face her.
They might remember to text but she said it wasn't the same.

Just added a PS to this for in case folk wonder and don't like to ask.  Our grandson is now nearly 19 and working. He does voluntary sailing with the Ellen Macarthur Trust who first took him out on a boat when he was under treatment. He is now a fully qualified sailing instructor, partly gained under his own steam and more recently through the Macarthur trust who had such faith in him they helped him with the last bit of training and he now helps take children with cancer on Ellen's ships so they get experiences they wouldn't normally have - much like in his case, and see where that led.

Our daughter laughs through life and lets very little get her down

Anyway, I echo Jayne Sykes words.

Edited by member 18 May 2015 at 09:17  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 15:03

Very good article, Mo.

Neil hated the concept of fighting/battling cancer which so often seems to be perpetuated in the media as if people chosing that route are somehow better or it's more comfortable for others to relate to that approach ! There must be lots of people who just quietly get on with it, often, as mentioned, enduring times of great terror and distress.

My other dislikes are religious platitudes ! I nearly disgraced myself responding to someone who had shared on my Facebook page about a child who was supposedly cured of cancer and lots of respondents attributing this this to god and what a miracle it was. I lamely posted ' what about the people who aren't 'healed ', what I wish I'd posted was a lot stronger !! When I die, if there is anything up there, I will have my hands round its throat and throttle it, the way I feel !

I found trying to keep life as normal as possible also helped but that gradually slipped away with the progression of the disease.

Regarding feeling positive, was it one of Jane Plant's books where there was a comment that people who simply werent able to stay positive, and who could blame them, often felt inadequate because they couldn't goad themselves into that frame of mind and there wasnt necessarily evidence to support feeling positive extended one's life or made coping easier ?

No one should have to feel guilty or inadequate because of how they individually cope.

Fiona.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 16:06
Oh this is such good advice, for me that stupid expression about being positive made me so mad when we first heard it immediately after being told the horrible news and by the urologist giving us the news.

This was good to read today because of hearing some awful news for a young friend and my daughter needing advice on what to do or say. It applies whatever the circumstances.

Lots of love

Allison xx

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 16:23

Last Thursday, my golfing friend who had to move to the other side of the country 2 years ago, rang to tell me he had been diagnosed with lung cancer - he'd had a full body scan and was going to get the full diagnosis next week. He has been told it looks to have been found early, and an op followed by RP was very much on the cards.

And what did I say? I always believed I had an excellent chance of a positive outcome from my PCa, so the positive word came out. I'll try and be more careful in the future.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:12

There is some useful advice by Jayne Sykes on what can be a good and a bad way of relating to people who have cancer. But the approach may differ from one person to another depending on a number of things. What Dave said to his friend Bob was in a way that his friend appreciated but others might not. Then whilst thrusting religion at people may well be inappropriate in general , perhaps it would be appreciated by 'churchy' people if another said he/she/their church would pray for them as part of the conversation.

Much may depend on how well we know the person, their age, our relationship with them if any and their approach to life. Men often come to this forum very anxious and sometimes in despair having been diagnosed with PCa and many of us have pointed out the advances in treatment which may help and the support available, so to embrace this positively. I don't think this is normally a wrong approach, although it might be more appropriate to stress the support side where men are clearly near the end of life's journey. I think it's very sad that sometimes supposed friends shun somebody diagnosed with cancer (perhaps even just because they are lost to know how to react with them), when the person diagnosed needs support and friends more than at any time.

Barry
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 12:19

Sometimes people don't quite know how to relate to you and it may help to meet them half-way and tell them. We told our friends, as and when we came across them, that we were happy to talk openly and keep them up to date with Tony's illness and treatment, but that otherwise we want them to treat him the same as ever - going out for walks or drinks together, chatting, teasing and laughing, etc as we have always done.

My sister-in-law, who had a serious cancer recently, also hated the "I know how you feel" response. It's hardly ever true.

As for staying positive - well, it doesn't help if someone seems to be saying, "Oh, stop being so miserable and pull your socks up!" but I think it can help if people remind us, or we remind each other, of how good we are at being positive in other situations, and that we will find the inner strength to cope with this.

Marje

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:22
Mo - interesting read, so thank you for posting this.

I hope you won't mind me adding to the debate.

When I was diagnosed with PCa I was given some literature to read and was simply told "you have PCa". I read the paperwork cover to cover and then thought the worst - either die or live and be castrated, both which scared me to death. It seems a bit dramatic now but at the time I didn't know better or about this forum. It wasn't until after further tests that it became apparent that the PCa was contained within the prostate so all being well removal by operation will give me the life I so desperately want to keep.

Needless to say at the beginning my head was all over the place. My wife was wonderful and we dealt with things very much together. I also confided in a male friend (well I thought he was a friend). In doing so I spilled out all my fears of dying and ED and I also confided some other very private stuff. He did listen and I felt better for having someone other than my wife to talk to.

However, as soon as the op was over he has hardly spoken to me. I can count on one hand the times he has attempted a conversation and our paths cross quite frequently. I have tried talking to him but I always get the feeling he cannot get away quick enough as if I had the plague. I now feel a right idiot and guilty that maybe I went over the top when I spoke to him him pre-op. On looking back I wished I had kept my mouth shut.

I suppose I have probably been over sensitive about this but I am over it now. However, it did hurt.

The point I am trying to make, adding to the list of "do's", is that if you are going to support someone, then at least do it as if you mean it.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 13:13

Five years ago, when our daughter was coming to the end of our 13 year old grandson's treatment for inoperable cancer she herself was then diagnosed with colon cancer and had a colonostomy at 38.
She and our son in law coped brilliantly, never moaning, never say why us. They just got on with it. Our boy's treatment had to be barbaric in order for it to work and my husband still has bad memories of seeing him with a custom made mask being strapped to a table in order for the radiotherapy to be positioned accurately. All this without a measure of moaning from any of them. If you told them they were brave, even the 13 year old, they would look at you like you were stupid or something and tell you it had nothing to do with bravery - they just needed to get on with it.

During grandson's cancer people were brilliant, they couldn't do enough to help.
The school was fantastic and his schoolmates took it upon themselves to approach the headmaster and ask for permission to collect for teenage cancer trust, going to every year in the school.

They look like the kind of lads you would avoid walking past, but my goodness, they worked so hard and raised a lot of money.

They would visit when he was home to try and take his mind off the ongoing treatment. My daughter's friends had collections and bought him things like an ipod etc.. Son in law's company said to ask him what he would like to have and he said a shed in the garden for when he was better and his friends came round. They paid for and erected a two room, double skinned building with a proper space for a portable toilet.

When it was my daughter's turn, my beautiful brave daughter, who coped with the mutilation of her body with the words "It looks like a rose How could I hate it - it saved my life" was surprised that many of the people she counted as friends didn't keep in touch, or if she went into town she would actually see them cross the road to avoid talking to her.

Maybe it was all too much for them, I don't know. I do know she felt abandoned by them. They had been happy enough to stop her in the street and ask how our grandson was getting on but couldn't face her.
They might remember to text but she said it wasn't the same.

Just added a PS to this for in case folk wonder and don't like to ask.  Our grandson is now nearly 19 and working. He does voluntary sailing with the Ellen Macarthur Trust who first took him out on a boat when he was under treatment. He is now a fully qualified sailing instructor, partly gained under his own steam and more recently through the Macarthur trust who had such faith in him they helped him with the last bit of training and he now helps take children with cancer on Ellen's ships so they get experiences they wouldn't normally have - much like in his case, and see where that led.

Our daughter laughs through life and lets very little get her down

Anyway, I echo Jayne Sykes words.

Edited by member 18 May 2015 at 09:17  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 15:03

Very good article, Mo.

Neil hated the concept of fighting/battling cancer which so often seems to be perpetuated in the media as if people chosing that route are somehow better or it's more comfortable for others to relate to that approach ! There must be lots of people who just quietly get on with it, often, as mentioned, enduring times of great terror and distress.

My other dislikes are religious platitudes ! I nearly disgraced myself responding to someone who had shared on my Facebook page about a child who was supposedly cured of cancer and lots of respondents attributing this this to god and what a miracle it was. I lamely posted ' what about the people who aren't 'healed ', what I wish I'd posted was a lot stronger !! When I die, if there is anything up there, I will have my hands round its throat and throttle it, the way I feel !

I found trying to keep life as normal as possible also helped but that gradually slipped away with the progression of the disease.

Regarding feeling positive, was it one of Jane Plant's books where there was a comment that people who simply werent able to stay positive, and who could blame them, often felt inadequate because they couldn't goad themselves into that frame of mind and there wasnt necessarily evidence to support feeling positive extended one's life or made coping easier ?

No one should have to feel guilty or inadequate because of how they individually cope.

Fiona.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 16:06
Oh this is such good advice, for me that stupid expression about being positive made me so mad when we first heard it immediately after being told the horrible news and by the urologist giving us the news.

This was good to read today because of hearing some awful news for a young friend and my daughter needing advice on what to do or say. It applies whatever the circumstances.

Lots of love

Allison xx

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 16:23

Last Thursday, my golfing friend who had to move to the other side of the country 2 years ago, rang to tell me he had been diagnosed with lung cancer - he'd had a full body scan and was going to get the full diagnosis next week. He has been told it looks to have been found early, and an op followed by RP was very much on the cards.

And what did I say? I always believed I had an excellent chance of a positive outcome from my PCa, so the positive word came out. I'll try and be more careful in the future.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 20:22

My friend Bob was diagnosed cancer around early 2000's, and had various bits removed from his face and neck and jaw. He looked ugly. He came over to see me. 6 foot 4 of ugly bloke walked up my drive towards me. I remember what I said, and I remember his response.

Me "God, you look ugly".

Him "(laughing) I know I can rely on you to tell it as it is Dave". And we just hugged, and cried.

My Son's mother diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in 2010, and when she told me she added don't Google it, there's nothing good about it online. Remember that line from the programme on TV with Sheridan Smith in the C Word?  What could I, or anyone say to her?

For whatever reason C is here, it is now, and will affect us all in one way or another.

Don't be too hard on those who you tell who then caught like a rabbit in the headlights and struggling for something to come back with suggest that "You will be fine". Or in the case of PCa who say you are lucky to get that one as it's a slow burner". PMSL Yeah right. Tell that to someone with aggressive PCa and with Mets!

It's hard, actually impossible for them, too.

dave

Edited by member 17 May 2015 at 20:24  | Reason: Not specified

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 20:30

And, having just read Fiona's post, I just wanted to add, that this weekend at a function I met, actually "encountered", an Evangelical preacher, AKA "a t***", if the auto censure function kicks join that is a "T" and a "W" and an "A" and a "T", who assured me that he knew of people who had been cured of cancer by the power of prayer. Hallay ydoolb rule yah.

I am all for "blue sky thinking" but give me a break from "pie in the sky thinking".

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 21:08
It is never easy and people do blunder, it is such a fine balance between being really comfortable with your understanding of the other person, I guess that is when you know you are dealing wth a true friend, partner or loved one. when what to say just comes naturally. This is just one person's view and dos and donts do not always add up to right or wrong.

In my own quest to become a better person I find the more I learn and the more I understand about human beings the more amazed I become.

Turning to the religious aspect I have no issues with those that believe, if that is what feels right for someone then so be it, however I would rather put my faith in what is here on this earth right here and right now and to me in terms of fighting this disease it is scientific research, knowledge, medical skill (in all fields} and resources to fund all of those things.

I did think the article might generate some debate and maybe bring back some more people who seem to have gone rather quiet lately.

Dave .. I can only imagine the evangelical encounter must have been bad.... for once no use of the palindrome .

best wishes to all

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:12

There is some useful advice by Jayne Sykes on what can be a good and a bad way of relating to people who have cancer. But the approach may differ from one person to another depending on a number of things. What Dave said to his friend Bob was in a way that his friend appreciated but others might not. Then whilst thrusting religion at people may well be inappropriate in general , perhaps it would be appreciated by 'churchy' people if another said he/she/their church would pray for them as part of the conversation.

Much may depend on how well we know the person, their age, our relationship with them if any and their approach to life. Men often come to this forum very anxious and sometimes in despair having been diagnosed with PCa and many of us have pointed out the advances in treatment which may help and the support available, so to embrace this positively. I don't think this is normally a wrong approach, although it might be more appropriate to stress the support side where men are clearly near the end of life's journey. I think it's very sad that sometimes supposed friends shun somebody diagnosed with cancer (perhaps even just because they are lost to know how to react with them), when the person diagnosed needs support and friends more than at any time.

Barry
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:59

A very interesting conversation, I do agree with Barry that as human beings we are all so varied that what might be appropriate in some situations would be unacceptable in others.  Also  just having cancer can be  so emotional and emotions aren't rationale , it is dealing with grief on a daily basis. I mean grief in the sense of loss, loss for the life that you had because it will never be the same. 

Some one can say something to me in the morning that I let pass over my head in the afternoon it may be a different story. Our first visit to our Oncologist kind of went like this bearing in mind you only retain certain words in your head, so Terminal , Palliative, spread to bones, spread to lymph nodes , sadly chemo will not be advised and then those famous last words but staying POSITIVE is helpful . I remember thinking what the F..ck did he just say , I thought I had misheard him.  Then I realised it's written on the bottom of the notes tell them they are dying first and then throw in the POSITIVE word that will make them feel loads better.

I also don't like the terms courages or that people are battling cancer, it some how infers that if you are not feeling brave or LOSING THE BATTLE that you didn't fight hard enough. How ever you look at it  Cancer is pretty Sh.t wether your prognosis is good or not , it's hard . 

My take on what to say I think as long as you are genuine and it's from the heart then that's what matters . Of course the only people that will understand and always say the right thing are those that are travelling the same path.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 09:13

I learnt about this when I had testicular cancer over 30 years ago. Many people will get it wrong when they communicate with you, sometimes because they choose the wrong words though sometimes because that is the way we are that day. It is a roller coaster of emotions that makes most people run for cover and aschew conversation. I tried to demystify it for my friends and family. Make cancer ordinary so that we can have a joke or have a serious conversation, whichever people prefer. When cancer revisited me with PCa I knew it was terminal and I would not reach that old age we so often seek after. I was determined to meet it positively not because others told me so but because in my heart I knew that that was the best way for me to deal with this disease.

For me it's wider than cancer. It's how we view illness in general. I refuse to define myself as an ill person. I know I have ailments and some of them are serious but what brings me friends and interest is just me being me. So cancer may be the illness which defeats me but someday an illness will defeat me whatever I want. Facing that helps me confront the present. I would still be facing those big questions if it wasn't t PCa because we all face them. So I am happy to talk with friends and acquaintances about what is happening. I will help those struggling with the words, I will have a joke on me if that helps me deal with the realities and I will accept that people will get it wrong. People will say to me 'oh you have a long time to go don't give up!' I never give up but I am not going to waste my dreams on unrealistic scenarios so I have planned for dying in the midst of a period in my life where I am focused and happy with the present. It's got me through the last three years and maybe I might get three years more. Does not matter whether it is three years more or six months. It is the quality of our time on earth that drives me.

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 12:19

Sometimes people don't quite know how to relate to you and it may help to meet them half-way and tell them. We told our friends, as and when we came across them, that we were happy to talk openly and keep them up to date with Tony's illness and treatment, but that otherwise we want them to treat him the same as ever - going out for walks or drinks together, chatting, teasing and laughing, etc as we have always done.

My sister-in-law, who had a serious cancer recently, also hated the "I know how you feel" response. It's hardly ever true.

As for staying positive - well, it doesn't help if someone seems to be saying, "Oh, stop being so miserable and pull your socks up!" but I think it can help if people remind us, or we remind each other, of how good we are at being positive in other situations, and that we will find the inner strength to cope with this.

Marje

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:22
Mo - interesting read, so thank you for posting this.

I hope you won't mind me adding to the debate.

When I was diagnosed with PCa I was given some literature to read and was simply told "you have PCa". I read the paperwork cover to cover and then thought the worst - either die or live and be castrated, both which scared me to death. It seems a bit dramatic now but at the time I didn't know better or about this forum. It wasn't until after further tests that it became apparent that the PCa was contained within the prostate so all being well removal by operation will give me the life I so desperately want to keep.

Needless to say at the beginning my head was all over the place. My wife was wonderful and we dealt with things very much together. I also confided in a male friend (well I thought he was a friend). In doing so I spilled out all my fears of dying and ED and I also confided some other very private stuff. He did listen and I felt better for having someone other than my wife to talk to.

However, as soon as the op was over he has hardly spoken to me. I can count on one hand the times he has attempted a conversation and our paths cross quite frequently. I have tried talking to him but I always get the feeling he cannot get away quick enough as if I had the plague. I now feel a right idiot and guilty that maybe I went over the top when I spoke to him him pre-op. On looking back I wished I had kept my mouth shut.

I suppose I have probably been over sensitive about this but I am over it now. However, it did hurt.

The point I am trying to make, adding to the list of "do's", is that if you are going to support someone, then at least do it as if you mean it.

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:36

Some people also engage their mouth before their brain, my boss who is actually a good guy, said to me when I told him (literally 5 minutes after being told i had PCa over the phone) "don't tell Jo (a colleague) as her brother died of that".

I also hate the "well that's the one to get" brigade...and "you look well" but they always miss off the "considering"

As for battling the cancer I've done a deal with my body....along with the remnants of RT its going to crack on kicking the cancers ass while I get on with life...After all I owe it to my body don't I or what's the point ;-)

Bri

Edited by member 18 May 2015 at 20:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:40
RT

Your friend is either in that "oh my God what do I say and do now" status or he is just not a very good friend.

Do not be sad that you opened up to him but just be sad that he was not capable or possibly friend enough to handle it.

You know now that the people here do not judge, do not turn their backs on those who want help and do not shy away from answering the most embarassing ( or seemingly so) questions. We are a community and IMHO a bloody good one.

Best wishes

xx

Mo