I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment decision made!

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 14:29
Having seen the urology consultant 2 weeks ago today was our chance to meet with a consultant oncologist to hear about the non surgical options. The urology consultant had recommended Prostate removal but gave us details on radiotherapy/ hormone treatment to read up on, we also had the toolkit information.

Steve had pretty much made up his mind on surgery but today a spanner was put in the works when the oncologist explained that he was an ideal candidate for "External beam radiotherapy with a brachytherapy boost". We were told that we were not given that option at our last appointment as patients were selected carefully for this but as Steve is "young (57), fit and a healthy weight with no flow or urological problems" he's an ideal candidate. The oncologist was great, he explained that like all treatments there can be side effects but the key thing for Steve, as he is self employed, it would mean minimal time off from work and the radiotherapy sessions would be held at St Thomas' hospital just a short walk from my office. The oncologist realised that we had not researched this option so he gave us the printed literature and told us to go off get a cup of coffee and come back in 45 minutes and he would speak to us again. A cup of coffee, some deep thinking and a look on the PCUK website (thanks to Guys hospital wifi) and Steve had made his decision, I told Steve that it had to be his decision and I would support him with whatever option he chose.

Steve chose External beam radiotherapy with a brachytherapy boost and the main reason for this was not that he would have less time off of work it was because when he had his heart attack he had terrible depression and he was terrified of being at home on his own, not able to get out, and the depression returning - this worried him as much as PCa! We returned 45 mins later, the oncologist called us in straight away and asked would we like to return in a week to make a decision or was Steve ready. When Steve said that he had decided, the oncologist ran through the treatment plan again: hormones 3 months, 5 weeks radiotherapy, brachytherapy then 9 months hormones. The possible side effects / complications were repeated and Steve was asked once again whether he felt ready to make a decision there and then, he was!

Steve left clutching a prescription and an appointment to return in 2 weeks for his first hormone injection and he looked like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders! 😃

I would like to thank everyone who said listen to all options, in the end there were 3, when we left the hospital 2 weeks ago he was firmly in the "get it out camp" but this new route is the best choice for him - it might not be for everyone though.

Once again, thanks for all the support - you've kept me sane!!! 😳

Maureen x

Edited by member 19 May 2015 at 15:05  | Reason: Not specified

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 14:29
Having seen the urology consultant 2 weeks ago today was our chance to meet with a consultant oncologist to hear about the non surgical options. The urology consultant had recommended Prostate removal but gave us details on radiotherapy/ hormone treatment to read up on, we also had the toolkit information.

Steve had pretty much made up his mind on surgery but today a spanner was put in the works when the oncologist explained that he was an ideal candidate for "External beam radiotherapy with a brachytherapy boost". We were told that we were not given that option at our last appointment as patients were selected carefully for this but as Steve is "young (57), fit and a healthy weight with no flow or urological problems" he's an ideal candidate. The oncologist was great, he explained that like all treatments there can be side effects but the key thing for Steve, as he is self employed, it would mean minimal time off from work and the radiotherapy sessions would be held at St Thomas' hospital just a short walk from my office. The oncologist realised that we had not researched this option so he gave us the printed literature and told us to go off get a cup of coffee and come back in 45 minutes and he would speak to us again. A cup of coffee, some deep thinking and a look on the PCUK website (thanks to Guys hospital wifi) and Steve had made his decision, I told Steve that it had to be his decision and I would support him with whatever option he chose.

Steve chose External beam radiotherapy with a brachytherapy boost and the main reason for this was not that he would have less time off of work it was because when he had his heart attack he had terrible depression and he was terrified of being at home on his own, not able to get out, and the depression returning - this worried him as much as PCa! We returned 45 mins later, the oncologist called us in straight away and asked would we like to return in a week to make a decision or was Steve ready. When Steve said that he had decided, the oncologist ran through the treatment plan again: hormones 3 months, 5 weeks radiotherapy, brachytherapy then 9 months hormones. The possible side effects / complications were repeated and Steve was asked once again whether he felt ready to make a decision there and then, he was!

Steve left clutching a prescription and an appointment to return in 2 weeks for his first hormone injection and he looked like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders! 😃

I would like to thank everyone who said listen to all options, in the end there were 3, when we left the hospital 2 weeks ago he was firmly in the "get it out camp" but this new route is the best choice for him - it might not be for everyone though.

Once again, thanks for all the support - you've kept me sane!!! 😳

Maureen x

Edited by member 19 May 2015 at 15:05  | Reason: Not specified

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 15:47
Hi Maureen

Not just a weight of his shoulders but a weight off both of your minds, you can move forward now. To have a consultant who was so helpful is really something and you must feel really blessed today.

Best wishes, Arthur

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 15:54

Hello Maureen. Great that a decision has been made that you are both happy with and what a lovely supportive consultant.

Good luck to your other half on his journey.

There may be times ahead when you need a listening ear and that's what we do best so keep us up to date.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 16:10

I've been massively pushed for full prostectomy with/without bladder restructuring in two weeks time . But Oncology called today and apt tomorrow at 1pm . He may suggest the High Dose Rate Bracchy and ive been told its my only other option. Im 47 and PSA rising uncontrollably ( 10 points in 2 weeks to 43 ! ). They want it out to be honest and I feel forced down that route . I hope all works out for you x

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:09

Hi,

Pleased to read that you have come to a decision regarding your ongoing treatment path....

I'm sure you will both be more settled now in your own minds and be able to focus on the journey ahead.

My best wishes to you both for a good outcome..

Luther

PS..... Chris J

There are quite a few of us on here who had no symptoms before diagnosis...

I'm one, ( check my profile )... so I can relate to how much of a shock this is for you!

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:36
Hi Maureen,

Glad you were able to make a decision that is best suited to your Husband. Hope it all goes well and do keep us updated.

Trish xx

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 20:51

Hi Maureen,

Just wanted to say, I really pleased Steve has made a decision and to wish you both the best of luck in the coming months.

Steve x

User
Posted 21 May 2015 at 17:59
Maureen

Glad that Steve has a firm decision made and thst you are both happy with that.

I hope everything goes really well for you and fo keep posting.

Chris try and slow yourself down a tiny bit and take time to consider your options. Everything is happening at a fast pace for you and it is really important that you have time to mentally process everything. I know that seems impossible but please try and stay in one place long enough to absorb the information before bring railroaded to the next one.

Best wishes to you all

Xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 15:47
Hi Maureen

Not just a weight of his shoulders but a weight off both of your minds, you can move forward now. To have a consultant who was so helpful is really something and you must feel really blessed today.

Best wishes, Arthur

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 15:54

Hello Maureen. Great that a decision has been made that you are both happy with and what a lovely supportive consultant.

Good luck to your other half on his journey.

There may be times ahead when you need a listening ear and that's what we do best so keep us up to date.

Best Wishes
Sandra

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 16:10

I've been massively pushed for full prostectomy with/without bladder restructuring in two weeks time . But Oncology called today and apt tomorrow at 1pm . He may suggest the High Dose Rate Bracchy and ive been told its my only other option. Im 47 and PSA rising uncontrollably ( 10 points in 2 weeks to 43 ! ). They want it out to be honest and I feel forced down that route . I hope all works out for you x

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 16:29
Chris

We've been very lucky with all of the advice and guidance that we have been given at Guys hospital.

Steve did ask "is it true that if you've had RT you can't have Prostate removal at a later date?" - the answer "no, that's a myth it does happen but usually there's no need to do it".

Make sure you have all your questions ready, I wish you well with your oncology appointment.

M x

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 16:43

We are just in massive shock -- only told yesterday.. No time to think . Or to weigh up the pros and cons . I have the toolkit of course and the hospital promote prostate cancer uk . Just such a terrible shock and I have NO symptoms whatsoever -- just very mild ED which to be fair my other medication could be causing. I actually just want to disappear and ignore it . But we will see it through . Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 16:50
Chris

Steve had no symptoms either, high PSA picked up during routine blood tests. Have a look at my profile for his history.

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:09

Hi,

Pleased to read that you have come to a decision regarding your ongoing treatment path....

I'm sure you will both be more settled now in your own minds and be able to focus on the journey ahead.

My best wishes to you both for a good outcome..

Luther

PS..... Chris J

There are quite a few of us on here who had no symptoms before diagnosis...

I'm one, ( check my profile )... so I can relate to how much of a shock this is for you!

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:30

Good luck tomorrow Chris J.

Mine was another with no symptoms.

We were also told that removal was possible after low dose Brachytherapy but that it usually isn't an option because the Brachy treatment affects the prostate and makes it more difficult.
We were also told that there were many other options following low dose seed Brachytherapy (salvage treatment as it was put to us)

Good luck. Hope you can reach a decision and you are happy with the choice offered to you. (insofar as any PC man can be that is !)
Best Wishes
Sandra

Edited by member 19 May 2015 at 17:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:36
Hi Maureen,

Glad you were able to make a decision that is best suited to your Husband. Hope it all goes well and do keep us updated.

Trish xx

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 20:51

Hi Maureen,

Just wanted to say, I really pleased Steve has made a decision and to wish you both the best of luck in the coming months.

Steve x

User
Posted 21 May 2015 at 16:17

Hi again Maureen ,

Everything has been an utter whirlwind the last 3 days , and we have been offered exactly the same as you , or surgery . Maybe you could read my post ?? I too was offered 3 yr Hormone Therapy and HDR Bracchy . I was told tablets were far better for fatigue and especially maintaining sexual function . Only downside was breast growth / swelling that I could have another tablet for . We are TORN to be honest with which route to take , but so so glad you've decided . Thought my new info might help . Also after Bracchy you CANT have surgery , but if you have surgery , you can then have radiation and hormone therapy. Prostate uk said my surgeon ( NHS ) was amazing if I go that way.

User
Posted 21 May 2015 at 17:59
Maureen

Glad that Steve has a firm decision made and thst you are both happy with that.

I hope everything goes really well for you and fo keep posting.

Chris try and slow yourself down a tiny bit and take time to consider your options. Everything is happening at a fast pace for you and it is really important that you have time to mentally process everything. I know that seems impossible but please try and stay in one place long enough to absorb the information before bring railroaded to the next one.

Best wishes to you all

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 May 2015 at 21:37

It felt a weight off my mind after I made my treatment decision and believe this is quite typical. Hope it goes well for your man Maureen.
Just to comment on surgery after RT. This makes what is already an intricate operation without prior RT even more difficult after it. Many surgeons will not do it but it is done infrequently and at least one forum member has had it done. When considering my options on salvage treatment after failed RT, I asked the consultant about surgery and he said "Do you want to take an 80% chance of incontinence? Focal treatment where appropriate produces far less severe side effects."

Barry