Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pausing HT treatment when PSA is consistently low

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 16:12
Hello all

Has anyone experience with pausing or lengthening the frequency of HT (eg Prostap) injections which are usually given every 3 months.

I have a couple friends who with full knowledge of their Onco who do this and seem to have a better quality of live whilst seemingly extending the period when the ht is controlling the PCa.

The thinking is that there is always residual HT in the body. Ie. quarterly is overdosing.

It sounds logical to me.

Forgive me if this has been on the site before but I am still a relative newbe.

Paul

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 17:33

Paul,
I don't know about Prostap but it is normal to be taken off HT when the PSA stays low then go back on when it rises again, at what level one goes back onto HT remains a divided opinion. I rely on my Onco to decide.

Chris.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 19:53

Healey, it is called intermittent hormone treatment - if you check the profiles of people like Top Gun you will see it can be quite successful as long as it is closely monitored. I am not aware of anyone just having extended weeks between Prostap injections but certainly we have members who take hormone holidays for 6 months, a year or more. It is as much about quality of life as preventing the cancer cells from becoming resistant too soon.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 20:43

Wasn't Simon (Siness) on breaks from treatment? And talking of Simon, where is he? How is he doing? If he was on breaks he would be the ideal contributor for this, having experienced how it works and what it does.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 21:01
Healey

intermittent HT works well for many men who have a low grade and not very aggressive cancer. GeorgeH has been using this for a long time with great quality of life. Top gun did too as Lyn has mentioned.

I think a lot of it is getting the balance of timing right, starting up again before the PSA rises too much and getting a sustainable pattern established .

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 Jun 2015 at 18:45

Healey,

Take note of Edamo's comment about low grade cancer. Mine's aggressive, I've had a combination of RT and Prostap (HT) and am on the STAMPEDE trial control group. I've asked the oncols twice about the possibility of moving onto intermittent HT as my PSA has been <0.01 for the past year. Answer was that the aggressive nature of my PCa means I'll be on HT for life without holidays. As my GP says when I grumble about the side effects of HT: "think about the alternative." End of conversation! Hope you're luckier than me.

User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 02:21

Healey,
As regards IHT, I believe the best advise is to go along with the views of your consultant who will be familiar with your individual case. Ignore what others are doing, their situations may be very different to yours.

Edited by member 23 Aug 2015 at 02:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 09:14

I would suggest those on HT are not low risk. I also agree with Barry. Each case is different and each guys balance between quality of life and possibly earlier death also varies not forgetting age might impact on that choice. Is it easier to take the IHT choice at 70 than 50/60? Whilst on HT my PSA was very low yet coming off it was not deemed to be an option by consultants.

Your other posts suggest you are coping better than most with HT so think carefully before taking risks.

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 17:33

Paul,
I don't know about Prostap but it is normal to be taken off HT when the PSA stays low then go back on when it rises again, at what level one goes back onto HT remains a divided opinion. I rely on my Onco to decide.

Chris.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 19:53

Healey, it is called intermittent hormone treatment - if you check the profiles of people like Top Gun you will see it can be quite successful as long as it is closely monitored. I am not aware of anyone just having extended weeks between Prostap injections but certainly we have members who take hormone holidays for 6 months, a year or more. It is as much about quality of life as preventing the cancer cells from becoming resistant too soon.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 20:43

Wasn't Simon (Siness) on breaks from treatment? And talking of Simon, where is he? How is he doing? If he was on breaks he would be the ideal contributor for this, having experienced how it works and what it does.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2015 at 21:01
Healey

intermittent HT works well for many men who have a low grade and not very aggressive cancer. GeorgeH has been using this for a long time with great quality of life. Top gun did too as Lyn has mentioned.

I think a lot of it is getting the balance of timing right, starting up again before the PSA rises too much and getting a sustainable pattern established .

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 Jun 2015 at 18:45

Healey,

Take note of Edamo's comment about low grade cancer. Mine's aggressive, I've had a combination of RT and Prostap (HT) and am on the STAMPEDE trial control group. I've asked the oncols twice about the possibility of moving onto intermittent HT as my PSA has been <0.01 for the past year. Answer was that the aggressive nature of my PCa means I'll be on HT for life without holidays. As my GP says when I grumble about the side effects of HT: "think about the alternative." End of conversation! Hope you're luckier than me.

User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 02:21

Healey,
As regards IHT, I believe the best advise is to go along with the views of your consultant who will be familiar with your individual case. Ignore what others are doing, their situations may be very different to yours.

Edited by member 23 Aug 2015 at 02:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 09:14

I would suggest those on HT are not low risk. I also agree with Barry. Each case is different and each guys balance between quality of life and possibly earlier death also varies not forgetting age might impact on that choice. Is it easier to take the IHT choice at 70 than 50/60? Whilst on HT my PSA was very low yet coming off it was not deemed to be an option by consultants.

Your other posts suggest you are coping better than most with HT so think carefully before taking risks.

Ray