I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

why no more psa tests for 12months

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 09:05

hi,went for my second follow up with my oncologist last monday for my latest psa result,said it was undetectable and he does not want to see me for 12months thats a long time to go for another psa test,can i just do it on my own by my gp in the meantime,because i am high risk.any thoughts please.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 10:50

Firstly a very good result- great news.

There are those who feel 3 months is the way forward.

Is PSA likely to rise to a level in the next 12 months that requires a change of treatment. If as it seems they think not then what is the point of having a test?

However from an emotional perspective more frequent testing might ease your mind so it's worth asking your GP.

Ray

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 13:05

thankyou i will ask my gp on monday if i can have one before due to being high risk,

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 22:50
we have to see the Onco in 12 months, but see the nurse at GP surgery ourselves every 3months for a PSA.

Edited by member 18 Jun 2015 at 22:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 03:14

Might be stating the obvious but seeing the oncologist is not the same as getting a PSA test - you can do one without the other. GP should be arranging your regular PSA tests once the hospital stops doing so.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 06:34

I was told the same at my last appt ie see her in 12 months and have the next PSA test in 12 months but a standard one not the sensitive one.
I'm not to sure about that but will decide around Sept whether I will ask the GP for a 6 month one.

I would hate to go back to 3 monthly tests as I find with the 6 monthly I can shelve it. Obviously if things changed I would want closer monitoring

Bri

User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 08:05

I changed GP recently, they are testing me 3 monthly so that they can have their own set of stats for my PSA readings. I will probably ask to stay on 3 monthly tests come November.

Appears to me that if you ask, and it is the cheaper non sensitive test, you may be able to be tested 3 monthly? Worth asking.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 08:37

Same here Radar. Not seeing Oncologist for 6 months but we'll go to GP for the PSA after 3. Even if that wasn't the suggestion I would have persuaded John to do it.

Our receptionist prints the form out for us and we just get it done and ring for results.

IT is definitely a reassuring exercise for us.

PS Well done on results.
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 09:39

cheers,i have a gp appointment on monday so i will sort it out whether 3 or 6months psa test,or i can have it done at the same time as my zoladex jab every 3months will that be okay can you have them both done together.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 09:59

Radar

Purely going on side-effect intensity I felt my T increased circa 2 weeks before and decreased sharply for up to 2 weeks after injection. So on that basis PSA level might be effected however as you are on HT and have a pretty much undetectable PSA I can't see how it would matter.

Be careful what you ask for with regards frequency of testing. For me 3 monthly testing came with PSA being continually on my mind. On returning to Midlands some 3 years back I opted to be monitored by GP rather than back at my old hospital. My approach throughout has been to work with medics which resulted in eventually the GP agreeing for me to go on back on 6 month testing. I feel emotionally that's much better. I was intending to ask GP again if 12 months was now acceptable to us both. However after the last blip I can't see worth it asking so booked next PSA test in early July.

Good luck in your travels

Ray

Edited by member 19 Jun 2015 at 10:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jun 2015 at 12:10

yeah know what your saying regarding 6monthly psa test,i notice you were doing 3monthly for a while,i would certainly feel better at 6months but with been high risk 3month might be better for now anyone any thoughts on this please.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2015 at 22:49

I am confused. You say above that the onco doesn't want to see you for 12 months so back in the care of the GP. I thought you had posted recently that you were being transferred to a urologist? If so, perhaps they will want you to be PSA tested for appointments?

I note that those advocating 6 monthly testing are much further down the line than you. If you have only just had your first post-treatment PSA then to me it seems a little early to be jumping to 6 months. Perhaps you could have 3 monthly for the next couple and then got on the longer gap.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jun 2015 at 18:30

only saw urologist once after rt regarding side effects witch i am okay,i will go for 3month testing to start and if okay will move to 6months.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2015 at 18:31

To my mind Lyn's thoughts of those recently having treatment to have 2 three monthly PSA tests and then progress to 6 monthly tests is sensible. However, if these 2 three monthly tests give reasonable cause for concern, I would expect a further test within thee months and even further tests if appropriate before extending to 6 monthly intervals.

Edited by member 21 Jun 2015 at 19:49  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 21 Jun 2015 at 22:11

"I note that those advocating 6 monthly testing are much further down the line than you. "

Lyn with respect my comments was be careful what you ask you for and giving my emotional experience as the background to why I said that. I didn't see that as advocating.The frequency is down to Radar and his GP

This is from my first reply "However from an emotional perspective more frequent testing might ease your mind so it's worth asking your GP"

Ray

User
Posted 21 Jun 2015 at 23:09

Ah Ray - I wasn't thinking of you. I would hope you know that I always respect your thoughts and views.